Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm looking at chest freezers in the 7 cu.ft. range. I had a 5 cu.ft. Whirlpool for a long time that was great until the gasket developed a leak and the replacement part had been discontinued. Now I guess they don't make anything less than 9 cu.ft. and the jump in price is substantial. Looks like Frigidaire at $300ish and GE at $400ish are my local options, plus a couple brands I know less about (Hisense and Hotpoint). Is the GE really worth $100 more than the Frigidaire?

They're both supposedly "garage ready" (lol I'm not prepared to bet that my garage will never cross 110F)

I'm trying to find the link but I used to have a comparison chart for home appliances across brands. Going from memory, Hotpoint sucked for basically everything but stoves/ranges/ovens. Between GE and Frigidaire I'd probably pick the GE, but that's strictly because a couple friends have had issues with Frigidaire appliances - purely anecdotal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

I'm looking at chest freezers in the 7 cu.ft. range. I had a 5 cu.ft. Whirlpool for a long time that was great until the gasket developed a leak and the replacement part had been discontinued. Now I guess they don't make anything less than 9 cu.ft. and the jump in price is substantial. Looks like Frigidaire at $300ish and GE at $400ish are my local options, plus a couple brands I know less about (Hisense and Hotpoint). Is the GE really worth $100 more than the Frigidaire?

They're both supposedly "garage ready" (lol I'm not prepared to bet that my garage will never cross 110F)
I've got a GE chest freezer and it's fine.

I haven't measured top temperature in the garage, but we've gotten up to 110 F outside and I've never had to adjust the freezer, which is set just a hair lower than the default/middle setting.

It's noticeably quieter than the Whirlpool fridge in the kitchen.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Maybe look for a used one? I’ve been rocking a used one for 7 years (and even managed to get the seller to deliver it!)

That way you don’t have to go bigger than you want

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bagheera posted:

Here's a weird request: A small ice cream scoop.

I make meatballs in bulk. I mix the meat and other ingredients in a stand mixer, then scoop out 1-inch meatballs, which I vacuum seal and freeze. In a few hours, I can prep, seal, and freeze enough pasta, marinara sauce, and meatballs for 40 or 50 servings. When I don't know what to cook for the family, I pull out a bag of each. The pasta boils for 5 minutes, the sauce heats in the microwave for 10 minutes, and the meatballs bake for 15 minutes.

The ice cream scoops I've used kind of suck. The meat sticks to the metal, even when it's cold. The scoops with the mechanical scraper skip gears and wear out pretty fast.

So...is there a brand of ice cream scoop that you particularly like?

i feel dumb suggesting this since i'm sure you've used the oxo scoops https://www.amazon.com/OXO-1044082-...C55&sr=8-4&th=1 but ive never had a problem using them for making bitterballen. the scraper works well enough and i've had it for at least 5 years now, making something around a couple hundred bitterballen with it. idk

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

other than that i would just suggest looking at spoons instead of scoops. sometimes you find a spoon that is absolutely perfect for whatever, like it cups to your hand perfectly or some such

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

And now I have a weekend project.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And now I have a weekend project.

gl gamer, its delicious. its basically spherical ragout croquettes but its extremely nostalgic for me. if you want to go super authentic i would recommend doing some braised/pressure cooker short ribs so you get the beef stock + shredded beef for the ragout.

if you want the insanely easy way out i recommend this chef john knockoff where he uses chicken breasts and adding better than bouillon beef stock to the whole milk, or just making a straight roux with beef bouillon. still inanely good but much more brainless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsLGFG-Ou9c

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

my mom does not like it when i make it with panko because its not authentic but this is one of those where panko makes the thing a lot more structurally secure. and like every bar in amsterdam ive been to feels like they use panko

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Borsche69 posted:

gl gamer, its delicious. its basically spherical ragout croquettes but its extremely nostalgic for me. if you want to go super authentic i would recommend doing some braised/pressure cooker short ribs so you get the beef stock + shredded beef for the ragout.

if you want the insanely easy way out i recommend this chef john knockoff where he uses chicken breasts and adding better than bouillon beef stock to the whole milk, or just making a straight roux with beef bouillon. still inanely good but much more brainless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsLGFG-Ou9c

Wonder if this would work in an air fryer. I don’t want to deep fry anything, just not a fan of dealing with big amounts of hot oil

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Not a Children posted:

Wonder if this would work in an air fryer. I don’t want to deep fry anything, just not a fan of dealing with big amounts of hot oil

An air fryer should work, you could also flatten them and pan fry them - that will use substantially less oil.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah you can absolutely air fry that. You'd probably get a very similar product at the end also.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

You could also just use a super cheap solid scoop. I mean there's no reason to get a Zeroll specifically, because its defining expensive feature is not useful here.

Like one of those cookie scoops with a thing that goes across. Which brands of those have you wrecked so far? I think a better brand is probably your best shot.

Ah, that's what they're called. When I wrote "scoop," I meant "disher." The scoops that have a lever on the handle which moves a metal bar around the edge of the scoop. I've only used cheap grocery store brand dishers. They fall apart after one or two uses.

I buy a ton of stuff off Webstaurant Store. Any thoughts on the options here? https://www.webstaurantstore.com/2903/food-dishers.html

quote:

But for meatballs? I mean I guess, full disclosure here, with the disclaimer that I'm a little skeptical about getting good consistency meatballs using any scoop

You're right to be skeptical. They come out shaped like little lumpy potatoes rather than perfect spheres. But these aren't for a restaurant. They're for easy meal prep, and they work ok for that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bagheera posted:

Ah, that's what they're called. When I wrote "scoop," I meant "disher." The scoops that have a lever on the handle which moves a metal bar around the edge of the scoop. I've only used cheap grocery store brand dishers. They fall apart after one or two uses.

I buy a ton of stuff off Webstaurant Store. Any thoughts on the options here? https://www.webstaurantstore.com/2903/food-dishers.html

You're right to be skeptical. They come out shaped like little lumpy potatoes rather than perfect spheres. But these aren't for a restaurant. They're for easy meal prep, and they work ok for that.
I have a few webstaurant store dishers and they've been great

Really I like everything I've gotten from them, I just wish their shipping wasn't so ridiculously expensive

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

mystes posted:

I have a few webstaurant store dishers and they've been great

Really I like everything I've gotten from them, I just wish their shipping wasn't so ridiculously expensive

Yeah, the shipping kills it. Their Plus subscription ($99/month for free shipping) is great if you're running a business. I bought a commercial refrigerator from them. It would have been a $600 shipping charge. I got it shipped free.
I just checked, and they have $22,000, 1,062 cubic feet walk-in that ships free with Plus membership.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

https://www.acemart.com is another restaurant supply place with a decent online presence that offers free shipping. I haven't price shopped them against webstaurant but it's worth knowing about if you don't want to spring for the membership at the latter.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Not a Children posted:

yeah that'll work, I've done them in a hot oven before. just make sure they're sprayed/brushed with some oil

Shooting Blanks posted:

An air fryer should work, you could also flatten them and pan fry them - that will use substantially less oil.

also this, they don't have to be spheres. its a croquette in everything but the name and the shape

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I am either a genius, or have made a terrible mistake. Bear with me, this is a bit of a meandering journey.

You may remember my last question about using potato ricers as a handheld press for tea extraction. Yes, I know how ludicrous that is, but we're talking about thai tea here, where they use a tea "sock" for wringing out the tea and filtering. I didn't want to have to launder the drat thing every time I made batches, and that poo poo's still hot and burns my hands, so that's what sent me down this path in the first place, to find a press that I can use in the kitcher and not burn my hands/get Yellow #6 staining my hands. I found myself dissatisfied with the reviews on the recommended brands, between the plastic parts, and common stamped sheet metal shaft on the plunger.

I could have bought a norpro commercial potato ricer, with the rounded-triangular shaped hopper, and then I would have moved onto the next step of shaping food-grade mesh to cover the holes, but I wasn't convinced that the screen would stay in place. So I kept searching. And another word just kept coming up, because of loving aliexpress-style overloading the item names to land every loving possible hit on search: spaetzel.

But the spaetzel presses on amazon were all rated poorly, and I didn't feel like waiting months for one to get over here from china, especially not with china agitating over taiwan and possibly cutting off shipping for an extended period of time. So I changed the VPN's exit node to Germany, plugged in "spaetzel-schwob" und "spaetzelpressen" into German google, and came back with two brands. One brand, I ruled outright, poor reviews about the finish flaking off after repeated use. The other offered a polished aluminum finish, no paint.

And then I saw the pricing.
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Spaetzle-Schwob-Spaetzle-highly-polished/dp/B0032FJ2FO/

And then I saw the pricing over in Germany. For reference, the Euro is down to about 1 EUR ~ 1.02 USD at time of posting.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Swabian-Sp%C3%A4tzle-Potato-Press-Aluminium/dp/B00B9A28YG/

ThomasHadNeverSeenSuchBullshitBefore.jpg I ain't paying a $100 markup, and I'm also not paying something like $40 in VAT + import + shipping.

Long story short: I have acquired a used one in "Like New" condition off eBay, for about $45, shipped and taxed. And this thing is robust.

I now understand why spaghettieis is a thing in Germany. You may be assured I will be testing it to make spaetzel, spaghettieis, and its ability to rice potatoes at some point in the future. It has already passed the tea press usage with flying colors, and I didn't even have to make a screen or use cheesecloth. But considering I could really lever on this thing without it complainingit laughed in my face when I started levering on it, I am sure it will pass all those tests with flying colors as well.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 21, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That looks like a sturdy setup. Glad you found something that works.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'm trying to make my own bratwurst for the current ICSA and can't get hold of a sausage stuffer by the deadline. Is my best bet here to use a pastry bag, or are there other options I'm overlooking?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Meaty Ore posted:

I'm trying to make my own bratwurst for the current ICSA and can't get hold of a sausage stuffer by the deadline. Is my best bet here to use a pastry bag, or are there other options I'm overlooking?

Not sure it’s a better option, but you could do it by hand with a soup spoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4qPrHNn7D4

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I now understand why spaghettieis is a thing in Germany. You may be assured I will be testing it to make spaetzel, spaghettieis, and its ability to rice potatoes at some point in the future. It has already passed the tea press usage with flying colors, and I didn't even have to make a screen or use cheesecloth. But considering I could really lever on this thing without it complaining, I am sure it will pass all those tests with flying colors as well.

Very nice find. Pins on builds like this are usually pretty big because they take on so much stress. The pin on a depression-era ricer I used was 5/16" thick.

Twosday
Feb 22, 2022

February 22, 2022 (2/22/2022) falls on a Tuesday, so we will be able to call it twosday which is really keeping me
going
Isn’t it time for a new thread? The stuff in the OP is so outdated.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone wants to make a new thread go ahead and I’ll link it and lock this one

mystes
May 31, 2006

Twosday posted:

Isn’t it time for a new thread? The stuff in the OP is so outdated.
You've made three posts on SA and in two of them you're saying that it's time for a new thread 🤔

Are you Marie Kondo?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

mystes posted:

You've made three posts on SA and in two of them you're saying that it's time for a new thread 🤔

Seriously. Lurk more.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, we need a new thread at least once a quarter where we swap out the old sign recommending the Victorinox and Tojiro DP for a new sign saying exactly the same thing, only in different seasonal colours.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

SubG posted:

Yeah, we need a new thread at least once a quarter where we swap out the old sign recommending the Victorinox and Tojiro DP for a new sign saying exactly the same thing, only in different seasonal colours.

Yeah, skimming through the opening post I don't see anything which is bad, out-of-date advice which will lead one astray.

Well, except maybe the pressure cooker section now that Instant Pots are decent and easy to find. But a whole new thread for that seems like needless work.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

OP works for Bon Appetit and wants to plagiarize their next gadget review article, HTH

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Have you considered, instead, an upright freezer?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bird with big dick posted:

it's difficult to get the chests into an upright freezer

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

bird with big dick posted:

I have but a) the space I want to put it in will not accommodate an upright b) we will likely be moving again in a couple years and it's easier to deal with a chest freezer c) I don't want to put it in the garage and d) as the previous poster noted, it makes being a serial killer much less convenient

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BrianBoitano posted:

OP works for Bon Appetit and wants to plagiarize their next gadget review article, HTH

wouldn't put it past Conde Nast, no. If a Kuhl spaetzel maker shows up in their next gear roundup because they just went back through the last few pages after being told to GTFO, you'll know for sure.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 9, 2022

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I just bought a polycarbonate Cambo square for proofing sourdough to free up my instant pot insert. I thought clear would be good so I could see through it and judge rise along with the volume markers, but learned that these containers aren't BPA free.

Should I go back and get a polypropylene one instead?

I was also going to use the container for my sous vide cooker too and the max temp rating for PP is 160F.

Well, sous vide is cooking things in plastic so... am I overthinking this?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm not a professional food safety chemist, and I will happily accept correction on this from someone better educated, but I think you're fine. At proofing temperatures you won't have BPA leaching. At sous vide temperatures, the BPA shouldn't leach through the bad in meaningful amounts.

mystes
May 31, 2006

PolishPandaBear posted:

I just bought a polycarbonate Cambo square for proofing sourdough to free up my instant pot insert. I thought clear would be good so I could see through it and judge rise along with the volume markers, but learned that these containers aren't BPA free.

Should I go back and get a polypropylene one instead?

I was also going to use the container for my sous vide cooker too and the max temp rating for PP is 160F.

Well, sous vide is cooking things in plastic so... am I overthinking this?
I don't know whether it's really worth worrying about but I personally have polypropylene ones except for my sous vide one which is polycarbonate for this reason.

For sous vide it shouldn't matter as long as the bags are sealed properly.

Polypropylene is less durable so for all I know I'm consuming more microplastics or something but I generally try to avoid polycarbonate for things that will be storing food/drinks

Honestly you're probably getting far more BPA from other stuff that you wouldn't even think about like handling receipts anyway though

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 9, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hmm

8 quart gray oval Le Creusets are showing up at Costco for $230

With metal knobs

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I feel like that's gotta be up from what it was when I bought mine.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That's a great deal for an 8-quart LC but having used both an oval and a round 7-quart, round >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> oval. The sheer upgrade in utility for use on the stovetop with the round one just can't be beat.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm

8 quart gray oval Le Creusets are showing up at Costco for $230

With metal knobs

Costco also has a 7qt. Staub round braiser for $200 right now.

https://www.costco.com/staub-7-quart-cast-iron-braise-and-grill.product.100715454.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Holy poo poo I got a round 5 quart staub on clearance for $200 ten years ago

I still won’t buy the Costco one because my kitchen is coordinated to not have prismatic colors