Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's worth noting that 0080 and 0083's nukes are fission based traditional warheads insofar as I recall. The use of which are explicitly banned by the Antarctic Treaty--along with all other weapons of mass destruction including any theoretical 'clean' fusion bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

Fusion doesn't generally involve fissile material that creates decay products like a fission reactor does. It's one of the big pros of any theoretical fusion-based energy supply--they don't melt down and dump a bunch of ionizing radiation into the air.

Don't ask me how Minovsky particles factor into this though.

Minovsky reactors are "cold fusion" reactors, which is why they can be so small and cheap within the setting; cold fusion being an idea from the 50s, 60s etc. that was essentially disproven as a realistic avenue for the pursuit of fusion energy back in the 70s, if I recall. The cold in the name referring to the fact the fusion took place at roughly room temperature. As opposed to the fusion that occurs inside stars, and which is costing trillions of dollars over decades of research and requires huge rear end facilities when people try to replicate it on Earth. I'd also take a guess that the fact the reactors are cold fusion reactors is used to explain why the power produced and drawn by the systems is relatively low, though I've never seen anything to verify that; it just seems in keeping with the kind of thing setting writers, data book writers etc. would do when inheriting oddities like that.

I was under the impression Minovksy reactors were clean fusion reactors that didn't produce radiation either though, now that you mention it, but people in Victory Gundam talk about reactor explosions contaminating the Earth a few times during the show, and avoiding hitting them not just because the explosion will be huge but because of contamination. I guess Tomino either wasn't responsible for that bit of lore, or just didn't care about it when making Victory. Neither of which would really be surprising.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 4, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

7 episodes into G Gundam and we already changed the OP animation!

E: Okay, I'm watching the dub so they call it Spike Gundam instead of Tequila Gundam and I think that's kind of a better name for it lol

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 4, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm kind of dreading watching 00 season 2 now. It's... odd. I've watched much worse shows, but there's just something extra tedious about 00 season 2.

I didn't love season 1, but it had moments I respected, and there was an ambition there I respected more. Season 2, meanwhile, is just... bad. The plot is simplified to faultless heroes (there's offhand mentions of Katharon doing bad things, but no details to actually show how they ever did anything but shelter orphans and die to artificially raise the stakes) against mustache twirling villains, the characters are somehow less interesting than in season 1 where most of them barely existed, and the script feels the need to explain everything five or six times in incredibly tedious detail.

Episode 18 has a four month timeskip, but it doesn't feel like it. No-one's got new haircuts, no-one has accomplished anything in the war, the tower break incident didn't accomplish anything except getting 60,000 more people killed, and the A-Laws take power that they pretty much had already. (The political plots are basically everything bad about Zeta's political plots turned up to 11. The heroes do nothing to influence it, and don't really interact with it, despite it being supposedly pivotal.) We even get multiple scenes (Lyle seeing Anew's innovator eyes, Louise fining out Andrei killed his dad) that would have logically happened months ago, except that then it would happen offscreen.

The only big development is Lyle and Anew hooking up, which basically lets the show skip over the complicated "actually writing a developing relationship" stuff to just have an easy shortcut to Four style drama. (And here's where I say that I was surprised on watching Zeta how well it sold Kamille and Four connecting instantly. Even aside from the Newtype stuff, they felt on the same wavelength. After years of hearing it as an example of Gundam's poor relationship writing, I was shocked to see that it... basically worked.)

This whole Momento Mori arc has been dire. I'm not excited for whatever's after it, exactly, but I'll be very glad when it's over.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Arc Hammer posted:

They weren't that big in 08th MS Team. It was one moment to establish Ryer as being a prick by using mobile suits as makeshift bombs. But I did blank on 0080's nuke.

I haven’t watched victory in like a decade so I can’t really remember the details there but generally, mobile suit reactors explode because a minovsky reactor is essentially the fusion equivalent of a pressure cooker, where I-fields are used to squeeze fuel until it fuses, and disrupting the I-field essentially causes a bunch of high energy plasma to violently become unpressurized, rather than any sort of actual nuclear or chemical explosion.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I haven’t watched victory in like a decade so I can’t really remember the details there but generally, mobile suit reactors explode because a minovsky reactor is essentially the fusion equivalent of a pressure cooker, where I-fields are used to squeeze fuel until it fuses, and disrupting the I-field essentially causes a bunch of high energy plasma to violently become unpressurized, rather than any sort of actual nuclear or chemical explosion.

They're definitely worried about the environmental impact of such an explosion, tho it could be from toxic components in the mecha itself. which sometimes do seem to be vaporized in these blasts

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

That's because it didn't come off as much of a Tower of Babel to me until you brought it up.

The elevator was completed, rather than still being built, it was an object of strife rather than unity while it was under construction and an object of unity when it fell, there wasn't a great confusion to allow it to be brought down (just a death ray), and no-one was using bricks and tar.

The Elevator wasn't complete, it comes up in one of the first episodes when they're discussing the AEU falling behind the HRL and Union.

Secondly, the material used to build it doesn't matter in the least, consider the story of Babel. Humans unfettered by the bounds of differing language work together to try and create a tower reaching into the sky to steal Gods power. They are cast down, the tower layed low, and their ability to communicate stripped from them. I think you can see how this applies to Ribbons, at various points he claims to be the future of humanity, to be a god, and to be the true inheritor of Aeolia's plan. And yet his actions only serve to keep humanity in perpetual stasis under his auspice. Language is the general tool for communication among humans, and Ribbons continually strips it from humanity literally by censoring anything and everything and metaphorically by smashing anything that could reasonably threaten his grip like the Federation Coup did.

chiasaur11 posted:

And even including it, I don't really see how it benefits the story. Marina is named after Mary, but she's still a terrible character, even if we grant her some Mary and Martha symbolism with Shirin. If this is a Tower of Babel falling on the world, then it should lead somewhere. But since Soran Ibrahim had already abandoned the nation of his birth on a holy mission, it's just an allusion for the sake of an allusion, even if we grant it. A chasing after the wind.
Let's talk about Soran first and work our way to Marina. Ibrahim is Abraham obviously, you got as far as him being on a holy mission, but you stopped. Allusion for the sake of Allusion is and Illusion, imagine holding a cube, you've seen the side facing you but instead of turning it over to see the other side you've cut your dissection short and concluded that most likely it will be the same. But in that undiscovered territory lays infinite possibility. Let's not give up, let us examine Abraham, his title can be Father of the Multitude or Father of Many Nations. An apt title I would think for Soran given he is metaphorically the father of all Innovators and the one who made a covenant with the ELS that allowed humanity to move beyond our system and into the multitude. The other big thing worth examining is The Binding of Issac, personally I think the actual gameplay is poo poo, luckily we can discard the newgrounds chaff and focus on the story. There are people who argue that Abraham never believed that he would have to sacrifice Issac, that it was always a test. I never liked that interpretation. It turns a biblical lesson into pointless pageantry, rather let us consider Sřren Kierkegaard's approach (an aside, I think everyone, christian or otherwise should read Fear and Trembling and Either/Or, the man founded Existentialism and his works are worth thinking about even if you don't come away agreeing with them, in part or fully). In Fear and Trembling he describes the internal feelings of Abraham as he chooses to bind Issac and prepare him for sacrifice, in his view it is not that Abraham believes that he will not have to sacrifice Issac, or that Issac will be miraculously revived, but that through his faith he can both sacrifice Issac and still have his son alive. It's a paradoxical view to have, to believe that one can become the perpetrator of violence and yet believe that it is necessary not as a function of life but as faith. That is the mindset of the terrorist, the killing of others out of faith in a higher order, the paradox vexing Soran then is not the killing, but for whom he is killing. He kills his mother in service of Ali, who turns out to be false, and then is saved by the Gundam he then considers god, he kills many in the first season believing in that god before his faith is again shaken, it is in S2 that he finally grasps the higher purpose. Not Ali, or Gundam, or Ribbons, or the Plan, but Humanity as collective, to fight not for ideals outside oneself but for ideals that Are you, and everyone else he's becomes agent of his own god, he's created a God to resign himself to, and in doing so he's become that god, achieved theosis (really there's a lot of philosophical distinction that should happen here, Soran wouldn't consider himself a god, nor any other man, rather it is the collective spirit of human progress that is his god at this point, explaining further would require dumbfuck philosophy terms like "contingent" that I loving hate so I ain't gonna.) And how does he achieve this, by interacting with his double, Saiji, a man whose life is everything that Soran's could've been if he'd been born under different circumstance, and Marina who is the mother he killed brought back. By interacting with his antithesis and Marina, whose unwavering ideals of motherhood, communication and pacifism shows him a future that he can believe in allow him to supersede his previous doubts and fully embrace and thus fall into infinite resignation to it. People mistake Marina for being a Relana clone, which she has if not the same strokes and color as, at least the same hue, but her actual closest analogue is Orga. Without her existence he could never believe in the collective of humanity, and thus never defeat Ribbons. For Ribbons believed himself to be a god, but Soran believed in all of humanity to be gods, with that faith he could strike him down.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The problem with calling symbolism meaningless is that it does a disservice to yourself in watching media. More and more there's properties coming out that just spit the plot at you, endless exposition and with that comes this grey concrete definitiveness. It's boring, it's tedious. Symbols precede human language, consider a tree, I don't wanna blow peoples mind, but a Tree is a Tree, but the symbol of a tree, a drawing or sketch is also a tree. The basic Chinese characters derive from the symbols of Trees and the Sun and all that, and pictograms precede the latin alphabet by ten billion years or something. The point being, is that people focus only on the Text, the words, the directed narrative. It's like watching a movie with your eyes close, every decision is created in a work, the dialogue is just as artificial as the direction, the setting, the aesthetics. What is happening, visually and soundiatically all matter as much as the dialogue. Not directed at you Chi, but more and more I'm seeing people incapable or unwilling to actually engage with the media they consume. I'm not angry at them, just baffled and sad for them, why would you chose to spend your time on something that you don't give your attention, something you don't want to consider and roll around in your head until you've got a handle on it. Why would you look at something from one angle when you can look at it from ten, people wield Death of the Author or Auteur Theory like swords striking out from the dark to cut down the forms of criticism. Why? Why not consider the Directorial intent, your own readings, Biblical, Marxist, Formalistic, Freudian, and Feminist criticism all at once, one would not come to a Pastry and say "Today, I shall only judge this on smell, not on taste or sight nor any other. It's lunacy and it's robbing people of enjoyment of works.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Seed and G are now streaming on Gundaminfo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The second issue of Gundam Sequel is out, it reveals that the main character's mom was burned alive in a Gundam cockpit during birth, and then the baby crawled out of the cockpit which was metaphorically her mother now. So she has the ability to shapeshift and Wolverine's healing powers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, that's Inoue.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

The problem with calling symbolism meaningless is that it does a disservice to yourself in watching media. More and more there's properties coming out that just spit the plot at you, endless exposition and with that comes this grey concrete definitiveness. It's boring, it's tedious. Symbols precede human language, consider a tree, I don't wanna blow peoples mind, but a Tree is a Tree, but the symbol of a tree, a drawing or sketch is also a tree. The basic Chinese characters derive from the symbols of Trees and the Sun and all that, and pictograms precede the latin alphabet by ten billion years or something. The point being, is that people focus only on the Text, the words, the directed narrative. It's like watching a movie with your eyes close, every decision is created in a work, the dialogue is just as artificial as the direction, the setting, the aesthetics. What is happening, visually and soundiatically all matter as much as the dialogue. Not directed at you Chi, but more and more I'm seeing people incapable or unwilling to actually engage with the media they consume. I'm not angry at them, just baffled and sad for them, why would you chose to spend your time on something that you don't give your attention, something you don't want to consider and roll around in your head until you've got a handle on it. Why would you look at something from one angle when you can look at it from ten, people wield Death of the Author or Auteur Theory like swords striking out from the dark to cut down the forms of criticism. Why? Why not consider the Directorial intent, your own readings, Biblical, Marxist, Formalistic, Freudian, and Feminist criticism all at once, one would not come to a Pastry and say "Today, I shall only judge this on smell, not on taste or sight nor any other. It's lunacy and it's robbing people of enjoyment of works.

00S2 is bad

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gaius Marius posted:

This is what no multitasking does to the brain

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The second issue of Gundam Sequel is out, it reveals that the main character's mom was burned alive in a Gundam cockpit during birth, and then the baby crawled out of the cockpit which was metaphorically her mother now. So she has the ability to shapeshift and Wolverine's healing powers.

:dafuq:

This sounds like it was dreamed up on drugs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, that's Inoue.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Warmachine posted:

Gundam is good again

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It's not officially Toshiki Inoue until someone falls from a high place into a large body of water. There's a reason that's the free space on the bingo card.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

We have precedent for what a Gundam's kid is like already, though. He mostly just hides in the laundry.

Really, the thing that feels most awkward to me about Sequel is how little it feels like a mecha story so far. The Gundams only exist as a setup, with combat being entirely infantry scale. There's no indication of what people would use mecha for, or even if they still exist.

Contrast with G Gundam, where, despite the protagonists being superhuman kung fu masters, the mechs show up in the first episode with a clear role in the world. Here, we just have the edgelord protagonist stabbing and shooting people due to past connections to a Gundam.

The last line about how anyone by her side is a thief did make me think of someone who'd respond well to that comment, though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a gundam that's focused on the infantry sounds pretty cool, though if there aren't giant robots towering over the infantry that's kind of lame

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This is making me wanna revisit 00 sometime, haven't seen it since it originally aired and while I remember liking it well enough back then perhaps I wasn't giving it enough credit!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wing sequel confirmed

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Look I would give up several non-vital organs for an animated Frozen Teardrop that's insane but good. It's my shameful truth.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

Question about Victory Gundam, everybody is rightfully worried about the fallout from all these nucular fusion(?) engines blowing up. Was this always a concern in the UC or has it got something to do with the Minovsky 2.0 or is it just a glaring plot hole in early UC?

No, the UC doesn't care about cracking a reactor unless the writer feels like they need to wag their fingers about "new killer energy, AM I RIGHT GUYS." Pilots on both sides are blasting away at long distance with wild abandon in every conflict and it's only a very few times (Victory and Unicorn) where anyone expresses concern about it. Whenever someone worries about it there will be an explosion or threat of one, almost always in that same episode, and then it's back to not caring again next episode.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it only matters in a functioning colony. otherwise, it's just another crater or plume of pink space dust.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The League Militaire express concern with it a few times when they return to Earth and are fighting the motorcycle battleships. Specifically that it would contaiminate the Earth if a reactor explodes, though the size of the explosion is mentioned as a concern too. Victory leans harder on the "Earth's environment is totally screwed up by the constant warfare" than any other show though, with people noting fish dying in the oceans en masse as the one that stands out. I believe Uso even sees some mounds of dead fish, and a character gets pretty severe emotional anxiety over living on Earth when everything is decaying too. Susie, I want to say?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I think it's Susie. It's a pretty explicit plot point because the kids who grew up in the colonies in Victory are disgusted by how Earth smells and the sights of dead fish and other animals. Kasarelia is an oasis because it seems like it's free of most of the pollution that they encounter when they first get to Earth, on top of it being where Uso and Shakti want go because it's home.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

No, the UC doesn't care about cracking a reactor unless the writer feels like they need to wag their fingers about "new killer energy, AM I RIGHT GUYS." Pilots on both sides are blasting away at long distance with wild abandon in every conflict and it's only a very few times (Victory and Unicorn) where anyone expresses concern about it. Whenever someone worries about it there will be an explosion or threat of one, almost always in that same episode, and then it's back to not caring again next episode.

I mean, a Zaku goes off like a bomb in the first episode of Gundam. It's been a thing for a long time.

It's just that for most of the shows, including Unicorn if memory serves, it's a nasty but clean explosion that's important because, well, massive explosions near civilian centers are bad. The fallout thing seems to mostly be Victory making everything worse because, you know. Victory. It's a death march.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Haman 2 is back and this time with bells on

*edit: no riding crop tho :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1555777762388021248?s=20&t=ER2hdo2ASe8jhwcqoeUR9Q

Oho

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neat.

Meanwhile, I'm still watching Gundam 00.

It's a big fight episode, which should be good, but Gundam 00 has abandoned all the things that make big fight episodes interesting. The whole sequence of endless bullshit around the Momento Mori has left every possible military objective meaningless. Anything destroyed will be replaced, any strategy is irrelevant in the face of firepower, and the only things that matter on the hero side are nearly invincible. Where Iron Blooded Orphans uses the extra time from full episode fights to show the pilots needing to refuel (both their suits and themselves), 00 uses it to... have Saji and Louise get into an argument where Saji talks about how Louise needs to get this silly soldier stuff out of her head, because she couldn't have decided to do it on her own.

Sure, the show wants to act like it's showing all this insight into the deep philosophical issues, but there's a reason that they say to walk before you can run. It's about buy-in. Evangelion manages to do a great job of selling Shinji, Rei, and Asuka's trauma, so even though all the biblical allusion stuff is just there to look pretty, people feel like it means something, because what people can understand means something. 00 isn't even managing basic things like having cliffhangers better than Radar Men from the Moon. Fail at the basics, and I don't trust you when you aspire to something more complicated.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I've been slowly growing convinced that Unicorn is the best introductory Gundam series. Old Gundam fans say that it's just a retread of UC stuff, or Banagher is a weak character, or that it's too lore-heavy. Maybe. But none of that changes the fact that's it's extremely cool.

https://twitter.com/hosso0407exvs/status/1556510673659924480?s=20&t=r3brsiGNmoPaCUwQe23gEg

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I've been slowly growing convinced that Unicorn is the best introductory Gundam series. Old Gundam fans say that it's just a retread of UC stuff, or Banagher is a weak character, or that it's too lore-heavy. Maybe. But none of that changes the fact that's it's extremely cool.

https://twitter.com/hosso0407exvs/status/1556510673659924480?s=20&t=r3brsiGNmoPaCUwQe23gEg

Don't forget "too much magic bullshit." That's a common refrain.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Warmachine posted:

Don't forget "too much magic bullshit." That's a common refrain.

Quite frankly I would consider filtering out people who can't stand Newtype stuff to be a positive.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I got through ZZ and CCA, I think I can handle whatever Unicorn has to show me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gripweed posted:

Quite frankly I would consider filtering out people who can't stand Newtype stuff to be a positive.

I love newtype bullshit, I think the way some people want to excise it from 0079 or praise the ‘90s OVAs for having none of it is wrongheaded at best and totally misses what Gundam was trying to do.

Unicorn is still poo poo and it uses “lol newtypes though” as an excuse to avoid trying to resolve anything gracefully.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've come around on Unicorn to where it sits firmly in the "decent" category with several caveats mostly pertaining to the last episode being a wet fart.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Unicorn is straight garbage

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

unicorn is an A+ anime in every aspect except for the second half of the plot outline, which is trash (and banagher is kinda dull)

it also never really explains newtypes despite them being at the center of everything in the show which is i think the biggest barrier to showing it to someone who's never seen gundam

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
For me, Unicorn is mostly fine, except that the conclusion episode is a catastrophic trainwreck with one of the least satisfying protagonist vs antagonist battles that Gundam has ever produced and the big climax/finale is literally a retread of CCA's except way, way, way less good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i will admit that i enjoyed full frontal's magic carpet ride through time, visually at least it was pretty sick