Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Got a dog today. Going to the Co for food and a ridiculous size dog bed for my ridiculous (soon enough) dog.

Also gonna get a dog and drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

it's very rare that a cold brew will be enjoyable black tbqh. and i think anyone who puts milk in espresso should be paraded through the streets of rome like the disgraced mayor of a conquered city

What? Cold brew is by far the most drinkable black coffee beverage. There’s generally very little acidity or bitterness in decent cold brew.

Milk does nothing for the sediment issue you raised.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dog in question

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

it just tastes like mud op. i'll take a bitter sour drip any day over excess particulate

granted i do sometimes just chug it plain and it's fine but it's born to have milk in

Filter your coffee goober

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

MarcusSA posted:

Dog in question

Yeh :hmmyes:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
how are you making cold brew if you are dealing with sediment? You're supposed to let the coffee sit for a few days, then filter and store in the fridge.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pentyne posted:

how are you making cold brew if you are dealing with sediment? You're supposed to let the coffee sit for a few days, then filter and store in the fridge.

You are supposed to put the coffee grounds in a nut milk bag and let it seep for however long.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
heh, nut milk

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the very fine particulates in coffee are present no matter how you make it and are significantly more present in cold brew. the tradeoff for the lack of bitterness or acidity ('drinkability') is the higher particulate content, which doesn't feel like anything in your mouth, it just tastes kinda muddy. filtering correctly, like any industrial maker will do, typically eliminates more of them but not all.

now, if I have a fundamentally very muddy low-flavor coffee beverage? hit that with milk now i'm drinking coffee flavor milk. love it

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

two types of people: the ones who drink nut milk and the ones who drink tit milk

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
personally i'm bisexual

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Ate a cheese slice today

and a pep slice

and a hot dog

and soda (with refill)

all that for less than :10bux:!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

is costco a good place for appliances? the freezer half of my refrigerator stopped freezing this week. might try to get it repaired, but it's a 12 year old samsung so i assume this is about as long as it was designed to last before everything dies. replacing it might be the move.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

is costco a good place for appliances? the freezer half of my refrigerator stopped freezing this week. might try to get it repaired, but it's a 12 year old samsung so i assume this is about as long as it was designed to last before everything dies. replacing it might be the move.

Costco is good because all their appliances come with 2 year mfg warranty and 2 year extended if you use the Costco card, so 4 years warranty right off the bat with no extra costs.

The bad part is their selection is limited and some of their stuff won't deliver for weeks/months out. Delivery is entirely dependent on your local area.

But if they have an appliance you want in the timeframe that works for you I would order from them before Lowes Depot or Best Buy.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If you don't have the physical receipt the app will show your old receipts now.

gently caress yes!!!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bad Purchase posted:

Your refrigerator only has one thing that cools, so if the fridge part still works but your freezer doesn't then it's going to be a door issue. As in, good chance it's an easy fix.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

KakerMix posted:

Your refrigerator only has one thing that cools, so if the fridge part still works but your freezer doesn't then it's going to be a door issue. As in, good chance it's an easy fix.

that was my thought too, but i've felt around for cold air coming out and can't feel any. the gasket around the freezer drawer is old but still seems to seal and has no tears or holes i can find. enabling the power freeze and setting the temperature to the minimum doesn't make a difference, and if there was a slow leak somewhere i would expect that to help. also, i can hear it turn on and off, and it's not running constantly. if it was failing to maintain its set point because of a door issue, i would expect it to run a lot more.

e: if you have any tips for how i should troubleshoot or confirm if it is or isn't something simple like a door gasket, feel free to pm me!

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 5, 2022

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Seriously contemplating getting a dog + drink + refill for dinner. :hmmyes:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

the very fine particulates in coffee are present no matter how you make it and are significantly more present in cold brew. the tradeoff for the lack of bitterness or acidity ('drinkability') is the higher particulate content, which doesn't feel like anything in your mouth, it just tastes kinda muddy. filtering correctly, like any industrial maker will do, typically eliminates more of them but not all.

now, if I have a fundamentally very muddy low-flavor coffee beverage? hit that with milk now i'm drinking coffee flavor milk. love it

My brother in Costco please please allow me to introduce you to modern filtration methods. Anything from nut milk (lol) bags to fine mesh to the paper filters your Hoover-era great grandparents used to settling and fining to a loving vacuum powered felt pad. Coffee, for me, is a particulate-free beverage at all times and I want you to have the same

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I will simply make tea at home and have an espresso or three when I go out. maybe a cb or drip, full of cream, at a diner

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
What the gently caress do you think a diner will do to espresso or (inshallah) you do to tea at home? You don't have to like it but because you got some dirt in it ain't an excuse to not like it.

Oh my god I'm melting down because somebody can't figure out how to separate phases of matter

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

is costco a good place for appliances? the freezer half of my refrigerator stopped freezing this week.

congrats on your new chest freezer in addition to your new fridge. :haibrow:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

$50 dog beds are a steal.

Couldn’t get a dog because the line was stupid fuckin long and I didn’t have time to wait.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Couldn’t get a dog because the line was stupid fuckin long and I didn’t have time to wait.

Heretic

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really wanted a dog and I’m starving RN.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MarcusSA posted:

$50 dog beds are a steal.

Had to read this twice to get the dogs right in my head

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

that was my thought too, but i've felt around for cold air coming out and can't feel any. the gasket around the freezer drawer is old but still seems to seal and has no tears or holes i can find. enabling the power freeze and setting the temperature to the minimum doesn't make a difference, and if there was a slow leak somewhere i would expect that to help. also, i can hear it turn on and off, and it's not running constantly. if it was failing to maintain its set point because of a door issue, i would expect it to run a lot more.

e: if you have any tips for how i should troubleshoot or confirm if it is or isn't something simple like a door gasket, feel free to pm me!

Short answer is, it's a Samsung, buy a new refrigerator that isn't a Samsung. Long answer, pull the "Cool Select Tray" or whatever they're calling the bottom full width tray in the refrigerator part of the fridge is and see if there is ice on the back wall or underneath the tray, or a big puddle of water. Usually it's all three. Soak the water up and chip the ice off the back inside wall. Samsungs are known to do this. Mine never freeze up to cut off cooling to the bottom section, but I could see it happening. The way to "fix" it is to pull all your food, take it apart, let it thaw out you can use a hairdryer, and then make sure the drip tube in the back cleared out, then run a longer piece of copper wire down it to keep it from freezing.
These cover the normal problem with the Samsung French Door, bottom freezer fridges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwSSMF6Sj70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So1Zf-yIj94

MarxCarl fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 6, 2022

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Soul Dentist posted:

What the gently caress do you think a diner will do to espresso or (inshallah) you do to tea at home? You don't have to like it but because you got some dirt in it ain't an excuse to not like it.

Oh my god I'm melting down because somebody can't figure out how to separate phases of matter

the particulate in espresso is good and necessary. i would not trust a diner's espresso. tea doesn't really need to be filtered, a few leaves here and there are no big deal.

agree that you're melting down.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

MarxCarl posted:

Short answer is, it's a Samsung, buy a new refrigerator that isn't a Samsung. Long answer, pull the "Cool Select Tray" or whatever they're calling the bottom full width tray in the refrigerator part of the fridge is and see if there is ice on the back wall or underneath the tray, or a big puddle of water. Usually it's all three. Soak the water up and chip the ice off the back inside wall. Samsungs are known to do this. Mine never freeze up to cut off cooling to the bottom section, but I could see it happening. The way to "fix" it is to pull all your food, take it apart, let it thaw out you can use a hairdryer, and then make sure the drip tube in the back cleared out, then run a longer piece of copper wire down it to keep it from freezing.
These cover the normal problem with the Samsung French Door, bottom freezer fridges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwSSMF6Sj70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So1Zf-yIj94

thanks, this is good info!

also, i just it opened up and noticed it started freezing again today and i have ice again for the first time in a week. maybe something really did need to just thaw out. i'll watch the videos and poke around back there.

edit: one of the first things both videos mentioned as an indicator is water buildup in the crisper drawers. i totally forgot, but that happened a couple months ago. there was a week or two where i kept finding water and couldn't figure out where it came from. just figured a water bottle had leaked, and it eventually went away so i never thought more of it. pretty sure i'm on the right track now, thanks again for the advice!

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 6, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

the particulate in espresso is good and necessary. i would not trust a diner's espresso. tea doesn't really need to be filtered, a few leaves here and there are no big deal.

agree that you're melting down.

May everything you ever drink be gritty and no caffeine reduce your morning headache

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

KakerMix posted:

My parents have some kind of demented Samsung that has three (3) compressors for three separate thermal zones.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fantastic purchase today.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, thats a good flavor. Tastes like sabritones

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Oh my, can you send me some? I love their pork rinds and have tried all the flavors I can order on Amazon, but haven't seen this flavor. They do spicy flavors best. The other flavors I cannot recommend, including the BBQ, which you think would be good if they do spice well. My local only ever gets the chili ones, and that's actually very rare.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tajin sounds like an interesting flavor for them, my local only ever has the red bag, the basic chili and salt. I love them though and can easily eat the entire bag in one sitting if I don't limit myself.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

Fantastic purchase today.

fffuuuuck

Tajin is a magic seasoning. I must have this.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
anyone buy those under-the-sink water filtration systems and can vouch for it? i'm perfectly fine drinking from my brita filter but my girlfriend thinks this san diego water needs some heavy duty poo poo

we just looked at one in costco the other day but i was like ehhhhhh

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Costco thread, my partner and I need to upgrade from our queen mattress to a king. Should I buy our new mattress from Costco? I think I know the answer but I need some thoughts from a thread full of Costconverts.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

teen phone cutie posted:

anyone buy those under-the-sink water filtration systems and can vouch for it? i'm perfectly fine drinking from my brita filter but my girlfriend thinks this san diego water needs some heavy duty poo poo

we just looked at one in costco the other day but i was like ehhhhhh

Are you already using the "Longlast+" filters? If not, those filter out more things than the standard filters and could be a good compromise offer.

3-packs of those regularly go on a $10 off sale at Sam's Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

astral posted:

3-packs of those regularly go on a $10 off sale at Sam's Club

:chloe: