Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://www.reddit.com/r/taxpros/comments/wfhgss/rant_client_has_gone_nuts_since_i_last_saw_them/

Stories like this make me glad to be out.

Also, I love the idea the person things that they can get out of taxes by legally not identifying as a person anymore. I am trying to unravel what level of weird b.s. they heard to support that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Covok posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/taxpros/comments/wfhgss/rant_client_has_gone_nuts_since_i_last_saw_them/

Stories like this make me glad to be out.

Also, I love the idea the person things that they can get out of taxes by legally not identifying as a person anymore. I am trying to unravel what level of weird b.s. they heard to support that.

This is sovreign citizen stuff.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

pseudanonymous posted:

I never understood that concept. The person like "renounces" their citizenship and thinks anyone is going to respect that when nations have a complete and total monopoly on violence. If anything, renouncing citizenship means no one will defend them now and they are at the mercy of anyone without rights.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Covok posted:

I never understood that concept. The person like "renounces" their citizenship and thinks anyone is going to respect that when nations have a complete and total monopoly on violence. If anything, renouncing citizenship means no one will defend them now and they are at the mercy of anyone without rights.

It's stupid and a scam and crazy. There's nothing to understand.

They think the law is like literally magic: https://albertalawreview.com/index.php/ALR/article/view/2485

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If u ever accept a cheque from The Government that creates equity and means you are an incorporated entity subject to tax.

My advice is to

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Sovereign Citizenry is just a set of magic words that send you directly to jail

Some fav sov cit vids for the road

https://youtu.be/RfVbiefMdNU

https://youtu.be/Xyy9Vns4Ias

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 5, 2022

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes, this stuff cracks me up. I need to find like a deep dive documentary on this, the logical leaps involved are truly something.

I've got a psycho client of my own who once spent a night angrily replying repeatedly to the NY Governor's un-monitored generic email address and then forwarded me all of his responses like I gave a poo poo.

Some highlights:
pre:

quote:

Subject: Re: Thank you for your Correspondence Ok Not an answer ? Specifically Please connect direct resolve Respectfully

quote:

Take look Seems democratic party Need be devolved as well republican Country is a disaster

quote:

Subject: Re: Mailbox Not Monitored This the Ho I took time Email several times Typical shenanigans?

quote:

Wow Wow W O W

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sorry to bug this thread, but my boss took a 180 today and started sending me some passive aggressive texts. I worked from home today. I usually do on Friday. She did not take kindly to it this week even though two other works did work from home days and I told everyone I was doing this on Wednesday. Admitably, she didn't know but that's because she hasn't been into the office since 2020 and thus we just tell everyone who is when we do WFH so we make sure no one is alone/someone is there.

She sent me some passive aggressive texts. Really hypocritical ones too. She never, ever like gets back to her clients and they constantly call wondering why the gently caress people can't reach her. Four people called for me today and two said I hadn't gotten back to them so she was like "since you're working from home, maybe you can go through your emails and get back to these people." Like, one emailed me last night at like 6pm, when I was home and not at my computer. The other had gotten a response but they didn't want an email they wanted a call: even though my email said "hey, I need these documents and I can finish everything."

She was also mad because she put in an extra paragraph on an email where she was giving me her work (as usual, when she can't do it herself) asking for a meeting to discuss the transition. Except, ya know, the email was titled "Tax documents" and the first like is "hey, can you do this for me." So I just didn't open it yet because I was working on other things.

Yeesh. My recruiter was right. He was right to tell me only to do a two weeks notice. I was originally going to stay on until 9/15 to make it easier on them until he warned me of this very thing happening.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Covok posted:

106 S-corps/Partnerships/C-corps
567 Individual returns
13 Trust/Estate Income Tax Returns

Don’t have my computer in front of me but roughly
25 1120/1065
50 1041s
75-100 1040s
20 709s
Maybe 3 706s
20 consulting projects

Edit: I’m the manager, so maybe prepped 20 of those myself

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Just reply to her text with "lol"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Just reply to her text with "lol"

lol, you're not the first person to say that. But, hey, I got another week with her as my boss and a meeting on Monday to discuss the transition. According to my coworker, she apparently had a freakout today realizing how many clients that might leave from me leaving. I think that's because I was working from home today so she probably picked up the calls I'd normally pick up as the receptionist gets Friday off. She only has the receptionist work 3 days of the week on the off season and asks us to pick up the slack otherwise. And considering they were all people asking for me it probably gave her a big dose of "oh poo poo, I forgot how much poo poo they do on a daily basis." Because I am constantly doing poo poo for clients. And how all our biggest clients tend to go to me and no one else. That probably triggered it but I'm not a 100% sure what she expected. I mean, I'm leaving so yeah you are going to have to figure out what needs to happen in my absense, that's your job as manager.

Ungratek posted:

Don’t have my computer in front of me but roughly
25 1120/1065
50 1041s
75-100 1040s
20 709s
Maybe 3 706s
20 consulting projects

Edit: I’m the manager, so maybe prepped 20 of those myself

Holy gently caress. I work at a sweat shop.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Covok posted:

Sorry to bug this thread, but my boss took a 180 today and started sending me some passive aggressive texts. I worked from home today. I usually do on Friday. She did not take kindly to it this week even though two other works did work from home days and I told everyone I was doing this on Wednesday. Admitably, she didn't know but that's because she hasn't been into the office since 2020 and thus we just tell everyone who is when we do WFH so we make sure no one is alone/someone is there.

She sent me some passive aggressive texts. Really hypocritical ones too. She never, ever like gets back to her clients and they constantly call wondering why the gently caress people can't reach her. Four people called for me today and two said I hadn't gotten back to them so she was like "since you're working from home, maybe you can go through your emails and get back to these people." Like, one emailed me last night at like 6pm, when I was home and not at my computer. The other had gotten a response but they didn't want an email they wanted a call: even though my email said "hey, I need these documents and I can finish everything."

She was also mad because she put in an extra paragraph on an email where she was giving me her work (as usual, when she can't do it herself) asking for a meeting to discuss the transition. Except, ya know, the email was titled "Tax documents" and the first like is "hey, can you do this for me." So I just didn't open it yet because I was working on other things.

Yeesh. My recruiter was right. He was right to tell me only to do a two weeks notice. I was originally going to stay on until 9/15 to make it easier on them until he warned me of this very thing happening.

New phone who dis

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Covok posted:

Holy gently caress. I work at a sweat shop.

Yeah doing like 700 returns in a year is loving insane. Your boss is hosed, she's not going to get someone to do that much for 60k in NY. She'll probably need to hire two or three people at the same salary to get that kind of production. I'm so glad you're getting out of there.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, its just a job, you can leave anytime you want - two weeks is a courtesy. There is no reason to care what she thinks about anything anymore. Be professional, but I wouldn't do anything more than just transition stuff next week, and its on them to initiate really. You should be out the door by lunch on Friday.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Covok posted:

Appro of nothing, today I was asked to make a tally of my incomplete work. If I stayed, assuming no new clients, I would have prepared 686 Tax Returns throughout the entire 2021 tax year.

106 S-corps/Partnerships/C-corps
567 Individual returns
13 Trust/Estate Income Tax Returns

For the record, I get no commission and my bonus was always at the discretion of my boss and the new owners added a strict requirement of continued growth to receive it.

I was always curious how that compared to others.

For the record, that would be me, alone, without assistance from others whatsoever. The office does more overall. It, however, does not include all the returns I help my boss complete.

I went from about 300 returns completed under my ptin last year to I think around 350 this year. I feel underpaid and asked for a 10% commission on tax revenues for clients I service plus a 10% salary increase. (I have yet to receive a definitive answer on this two months later). Both partners hitting retirement age and the possibility of getting a share of ownership is the only thing keeping me around (coupled with their flexibility around work from home that they have started griping about).

Your output is higher than the 2 other tax preparers and partners of the firm I work under who have been building client lists for like 35 years and 20 years apiece. They also probably don't do more than 20 1065s or 1120s in a given year as most of those are handled by myself or another member of staff. Our firm has 3 preparers and I believe does around 1200-1400 1040s per year and maybe up to 200 business/miscellaneous returns. Plus bookkeeping and payroll year round to keep the lights on.

For reference I live in a lowish cost of living area around a smallish (100-200k people) city.

Covok
May 27, 2013

saltylopez posted:

I went from about 300 returns completed under my ptin last year to I think around 350 this year. I feel underpaid and asked for a 10% commission on tax revenues for clients I service plus a 10% salary increase. (I have yet to receive a definitive answer on this two months later). Both partners hitting retirement age and the possibility of getting a share of ownership is the only thing keeping me around (coupled with their flexibility around work from home that they have started griping about).

Your output is higher than the 2 other tax preparers and partners of the firm I work under who have been building client lists for like 35 years and 20 years apiece. They also probably don't do more than 20 1065s or 1120s in a given year as most of those are handled by myself or another member of staff. Our firm has 3 preparers and I believe does around 1200-1400 1040s per year and maybe up to 200 business/miscellaneous returns. Plus bookkeeping and payroll year round to keep the lights on.

For reference I live in a lowish cost of living area around a smallish (100-200k people) city.

If I understand you correctly, I am horribly overworked especially when compared to my pay. I also don't get comissions.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Covok posted:

If I understand you correctly, I am horribly overworked especially when compared to my pay. I also don't get comissions.

Not anymore because you’re leaving you already accepted an offer. Focus on that, don’t become bitter.

Covok
May 27, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Not anymore because you’re leaving you already accepted an offer. Focus on that, don’t become bitter.

You're right. That's a good point. No point in being bitter now.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Covok posted:

Possibly. I get about 50k a year salary but I'm also about 90% work from home which allows me to also be a stay at home dad to our 22 month old. I think childcare would run about 15k a year otherwise.

I ended up taking over the billing of the clients I serviced this year and it turns out that having someone else bill your clients means a ton of them were paying rates FAR below market for the work I was doing for them. I've always told clients we bill based on time, complexity and forms required but the partner doing my billing was basically just looking at time. And I work fast.

I get paid the same regardless but there is something very disheartening about not seeing your work get billed what it is worth. Not just taxes either. I and one other accountant in our office spent hours upon hours researching ERC and filing amendments and basically none of it was billed. Makes you feel like your bosses are completely oblivious to the value being provided to your clients.

Part of my pitch in asking for my raise was that it gives me a stake in making sure billings are at market rates and its only a small part of the increase in revenues provided.

Covok
May 27, 2013

saltylopez posted:

Possibly. I get about 50k a year salary but I'm also about 90% work from home which allows me to also be a stay at home dad to our 22 month old. I think childcare would run about 15k a year otherwise.

I ended up taking over the billing of the clients I serviced this year and it turns out that having someone else bill your clients means a ton of them were paying rates FAR below market for the work I was doing for them. I've always told clients we bill based on time, complexity and forms required but the partner doing my billing was basically just looking at time. And I work fast.

I get paid the same regardless but there is something very disheartening about not seeing your work get billed what it is worth. Not just taxes either. I and one other accountant in our office spent hours upon hours researching ERC and filing amendments and basically none of it was billed. Makes you feel like your bosses are completely oblivious to the value being provided to your clients.

Part of my pitch in asking for my raise was that it gives me a stake in making sure billings are at market rates and its only a small part of the increase in revenues provided.

I made 60k on Long Island, one of the most expensive areas to work. I actually did my own billing too. There is no admin or support staff because my boss sees it as a waste of money. We had to fight to get a permanent receptionist and she expects the receptionist to do office admin work for 17/hr including using our billing software to record payements, which endlessly frustrates the poor girl.

The thing about doing my own billing is that it also meant I got into fights with clients face to face. I had people curse me out over my billing. Someone went on a rant how I am "just an inputter" and a loser and how he was going to give me bad reviews and basically left without paying. I didn't file his return or give him a copy but still. That wasn't isolated either. Had a guy who didn't believe in wash sales and spent the entire meeting cursing me out and saying I was an idiot and that he was going to get me fired. He did try too so we had to explain to corporate that wash sales exist so they wouldn't reprimand me. And on and on.

Frankly, I'd rather not do my own billing because it makes you a sales man and having to deal with the same bullshit sales men do. It's a big factor to why I am going into private.

And I know exactly what you mean. We definitely underbilled all the time before the fights were often not worth it. Even if it isn't your money, it's still depressing. Makes you feel worth less.

Also, for the record, I also did bookkeeping, sales tax, and payroll. Often by myself too because my first co-worker quit, and then the next two only lasted a month. The current one is the first long term hire we had in a while. So yeah I also did all that stuff year round to keep the lights on. It was just me too, no one else. My boss doesn't know how to do payroll or sales tax or anything like it. Yet she would still hire those clients for me. It was a pretty annoying situation too because we kept desperately being overworked and she'd present it as a choice but you really couldn't say "no" if she wanted the client.

Not to mention I also ended up doing gift taxes and highway use and local license renewal and helping them grieve their insurance sometimes and all this other poo poo.

Yeah, so 2-4x your workload for 10k more in a place that costs a lot more to live sounds pretty bad deal to me.

Sorry, I'm trying not to be bitter. It's just that, since quitting and announcing it, everyone's replies here and on Reddit really let me know what a raw deal i got.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I forgot. My boss asked me a question and I am pretty sure I know the answer. She wanted to know if the principal from a co-op's 1098 counted towards the 750,000 principal limit because someone lived in multiple houses, including a co-op.

Pretty sure it does. Never heard of a co-op carveout.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
I saw your reddit post but I'm replying here because I don't have a Reddit account and I'm not making one. Two weeks is absolutely acceptable and if that is causing an issue for your boss, that's 100% their problem. They've made a shitton of money off your labor for years, you don't owe them a smoother transition to try and keep their gravy train rolling. Especially since you're not getting a taste of it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

At will motherfucker, goes both ways. Although yeah, I always give two weeks, but it really is just a courtesy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

She must have chilled over the weekend. She didn’t ask for anything more than just making it really clear what I was working on and making sure to direct work to my junior. The closest thing to a bad thing she did was make a joke about the employee she fired and saying how she learned "you got to be careful who you hire, I learned that", which can't shake that she meant that towards me but who cares?

Phew.

My coworker said she wasn't mad but was freaking out Friday and I got some passive aggressive tweets. But I guess she chilled off since then.

Phew.

I was worried my last week was gonna suck. Instead, she just sounded really defeated and sad, honestly. But it is what it is.

Thanks for helping me, btw. It took a lot for me to stand up for myself and I think my anxiety kept getting triggered which almost made me give up. Posting here and on reddit and being told I was right to feel upset gave me the conviction I needed not to give in to my need to put myself behind others.

Also, yeah, we both got the same answer, if you're curious: the principal on the co-op mortgage does count to your 750,000 limit. I thought so but she asked and it made me wonder.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 8, 2022

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Getting frustrated. It's been a few weeks of daily job applying but so far I haven't gotten lucky yet. Been picking the part time accounting so it would mesh with my college schedule.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Annointed posted:

Getting frustrated. It's been a few weeks of daily job applying but so far I haven't gotten lucky yet. Been picking the part time accounting so it would mesh with my college schedule.

If it makes you feel better, accounting jobs tend not to be jobs that urgently need to be filled, at least not in August. It isn't that they don't want a new person, but, at this time of year, most accounting employers have time to vet their resumes before sending out interview requests. You know, see how many they can get before they start. As such, the wait between application and interview might be a bit.

I certainly noticed long periods between applications and replies.

Covok fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 11, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

This company sure thinks I'm an idiot. They just tried to get me to still work for them by offering me coming in Saturdays during Busy Season on commission.

Noped out of that fast.

I don't think they could make a more obvious trap. I left citing too many hours. And now they expect me to come in and, no doubt, remain their saddle boy for less pay. Because our fees are tiny. Sometimes as low as $180 for a return. Even assuming they give me 25%, I would need to work a ton of extra hours, put my new job at risk, and all that bullshit for barely any extra pay. So not worth it, especially since they'll keep trying to saddle me with their bullshit as always AND it would reset my nonsoliciation.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 11, 2022

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lol. Sure, you just got thirty thousand extra dollars every year, but don't you want to give up your Saturdays and keep the stress of public accounting forever for peanuts?

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's also such a poo poo day to spring. My computer shut off yesterday and crashed. It didn't boot all day yesterday AND today. I went home out of frustration. Like, what was that point? Then, the person whose return I was working on when it died -- this annoying new client who dropped off last week and started calling every day for the status of her corporate tax return AND the amendments of all four quarters of 2021 for the ERTC -- came in apparently to scream at me, demanding an update. Thankfully, I was gone by then. What a oval office, really. Like, she dropped off 8/1 with a complicated corporate tax return and four quarters of an ERTC and is wondering why it isn't done yet on 8/11 to the degree she is coming in demanding a status update. She didn't even give me everything so I sent her a giant email with all the stuff I still need. AND SHE WAS THE RETURN I WAS DOING WHEN MY COMPUTER DIED AND I COULDN'T WORK ON BECAUSE OF IT.

So, it was the worse possible day to insult me with this counter offer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

To kick me in the dick again, we got the wills that my boss' son offered to do for free and then kind of held hostage to try to get free work out of me came in today. I said no to the free work, btw, and he gave them to me after I spoke to the boss. They were...wrong. I fixed them myself. My brother's will was giving everything to me, when he wanted them to go to his wife THEN to me. He was using a template so it was a super easy fix but goddamn. Going somewhere else to get them signed. At least we didn't pay for this service.

God this company sucked.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Go to a real and non-lovely lawyer to get the wills re-done, IMO.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Go to a real and non-lovely lawyer to get the wills re-done, IMO.

They're boil plate wills. We asked for little to be done that the only thing you COULD gently caress up was who to give the stuff too. We literally said "give everything to X. If X dies, give it to Y."

Covok
May 27, 2013

It probably had more to do with us using him for our parent's life estate and him being very explicit he thought it was dumb for my brother to give everything to his wife in case they got divorce later since it would potentially lock up some of the life estate with his potentially ex-wife if he died before the will was updated. So, he probably didn't actually read my email and used the wills he already made. That said, it was my brother's wish and, even if it might be a bad idea, it's his choice to do so.

Covok
May 27, 2013

And, it is done. Today was my last day and I'm home. I deleted all my saved passwords and authorizations. It's done. I am free. I am home. I'm a little hungry. I am drinking whiskey.

Edit: Call it unprofessional, but I said I wouldn't be helpful if they called me for questions. I mean, if you got me on a two year nonsolict saying I can't work on my clients for two years or you get all the money, then don't expect to call me for questions when you need help retaining the clients.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 12, 2022

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Covok posted:

And, it is done. Today was my last day and I'm home. I deleted all my saved passwords and authorizations. It's done. I am free. I am home. I'm a little hungry. I am drinking whiskey.

Edit: Call it unprofessional, but I said I wouldn't be helpful if they called me for questions.

It’s only unprofessional/a sign of character/whatever when the firm wants something from you. Otherwise it’s just business. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Covok
May 27, 2013

MrAmazing posted:

It’s only unprofessional/a sign of character/whatever when the firm wants something from you. Otherwise it’s just business. 🤷🏻‍♂️

drat straight. If that's how they'll spin it, then whatever. But I'm tired of giving them free labor.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So how many of you have had clients complaining about Biden's 90,000 armed IRS agents, Antifa Super-Soldiers who must be prepared to use deadly force against hardworking white parents in the town square?

I just got my fourth email about it. Lol.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd be tempted to ask them if they're really anti-law enforcement/anti-gun.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've just been saying "I hope they hire some people to answer the phones, too."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Hellblazer187 posted:

So how many of you have had clients complaining about Biden's 90,000 armed IRS agents, Antifa Super-Soldiers who must be prepared to use deadly force against hardworking white parents in the town square?

I just got my fourth email about it. Lol.

I haven't heard from anyone directly but my co-worker apparently has fielded a bunch of calls about it.

Hopefully a lot of this manpower just goes towards processing and phone calls because I'm super tired of those phone calls, "I HAVEN'T GOTTEN MY REFUND AND I CAN'T TALK TO ANYONE FIX IT!!!" as if I have some magic ability to get my call answered.