Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Froghammer posted:

Echoing this. This thread is bummed that the case didn't bankrupt Jones, but the headline is "Jones loses 5 million dollar defamation case while also accidentally giving his phone to Congress"

Thats the headline for terminally onlines like us. The actual headline is

quote:

A jury finds Infowars conspiracy theorist Alex Jones should pay $45.2 million in punitive damages to the parents of a Sandy Hook shooting victim
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/05/media/alex-jones-punitive-damages-sandy-hook/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Froghammer posted:

Echoing this. This thread is bummed that the case didn't bankrupt Jones, but the headline is "Jones loses 5 million dollar defamation case while also accidentally giving his phone to Congress"

And his ex-wife who hates him and wants him specifically to suffer, and also multiple other plaintiffs who have been or were going to be struggling to force any kind of discovery from him because his plan was to reveal literally nothing and force plaintiffs to guess

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Plan R posted:

Libertarians are Republicans that support smoking pot.

Come on. That’s not fair. They’re also REALLY in favour of doing away with age of majority for some weird reason

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Plan R posted:

Libertarians are Republicans that support pedophilia ephebophilia.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Basically everything that happened with the trial was fuckin' radical, aside from Jones using it as a platform.

"Doomerism" is more just recognizing the obvious gap between this victory and the ideal victory where Jones has all his assets liquidated and is committed to a psychiatric treatment center on the moon.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

whats the story behind why this moron has a stained glass background like hes broadcasting live from the one true home of white jesus?

his idiot jacket and shirt makes him look like a 70s used car salesman

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Captain Beans posted:

whats the story behind why this moron has a stained glass background like hes broadcasting live from the one true home of white jesus?

Didn't you hear? Infowars is no longer a political show. It's now a philosophy and lifestyle show to improve the world by spreading Christ's message.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

ElegantFugue posted:

And his ex-wife who hates him and wants him specifically to suffer,

Well, she married Alex Jones so that's really the ultimate self-own even if she divorced him later on

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Captain Beans posted:

im not clicking play so I assume this is his flying stance

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Alex Jones pivoting to lifestyle and Christian show makes perfect sense.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah we're gonna see more of a pivot back to aliens and gay frogs rather than saying stupid defamatory poo poo about actual people I think.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah we're gonna see more of a pivot back to aliens and gay frogs rather than saying stupid defamatory poo poo about actual people I think.

No he's still going to do that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Captain Beans posted:

At a guess it's because some of the audience are deeply religious and will subconsciously apply their positive feelings about church to him, while the less religious won't mind the pretty colors?

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Season two of The Wire is all about a stained glass window. The Catholics take that poo poo seriously.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

I dunno what his story is, but I'm assuming the gimmick he's trying to pull is flood youtube and google with common search results of "Alex Jones saves someone's life at courtroom." and push out any pesky other searches that come up for "alex jones courtroom" that might contain words and phrases like "lying bastard" and "royally hosed"

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
just thinking about that time Alex Jones' legal team entered a Ben Garrison cartoon into evidence

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Nah, he can't stop himself saying that stuff.
He will probably go harder on the justice system, courts, judges etc. Sham this , sham that, Soros and Clinton paid for, pedohile networks.

And mainly cause the harder and more he hits on that bullshit the more he leans toward GIVE ME MORE MONEY TO FIGHT THEM

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Harald posted:

just thinking about that time Alex Jones' legal team entered a Ben Garrison cartoon into evidence

Wasn't a cum edit though so he receives zero points for it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Plan R posted:

Libertarians are Republicans that support smoking pot.

democrats are republicans

bottom text

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hollismason posted:

A cursory google research tells me that punitive damages in CT are limited to lawyers fees.

They should just hire like 10,000 interns to comb through records by hand or something, that should add up to a lot of money right?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I started beekeeping and it gave me a new appreciation for yellowjackets

While yellowjackets can and will sting multiple times, there’s no venom! It sucks when they sting you but it’s done. Even if you aren’t allergic to a bee sting you can still end up swollen, itchy and in pain.

Last summer I mowed into a Yellowjacket hive and I’d rather do that again than get stung by a honeybee

Also Alex Jones sucks

E- good lord that bee poo poo was pages back I see now, pardon me

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

AHH F/UGH posted:

I said it before but Mark Bankston makes me think that not all lawyers are bastards

Oh, he's done something lovely to someone, that's the nature of the beast. He was on the side of good and light and whatever here, though.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Snowy posted:

While yellowjackets can and will sting multiple times, there’s no venom!
What kn earth would make you think this?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I don't like being stung by wasps *or* bees

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Scarodactyl posted:

What kn earth would make you think this?

It's actually cum

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Tonk posted:

well look at Mr. fancy pants over here

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Yellowjackets are prudes, honeybees are already nude

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Harald posted:

well look at Mr. fancy pants over here

Yep. Gotta pick one, or else you're just throwing your vote away.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Yellowjackets are fuckers and they should be put to the flame!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Sir Tonk posted:

I do. It will allow me to control them at which point I will finally be able to defeat Solid Snake

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Upsidads posted:

Yellowjackets are prudes, honeybees are already nude

Nah, yellowjackets are loving constantly, weren't you watching?

My problem is that the modern day stuff isn't as compelling as them trapped in the Canadian wilderness. Which is weird because I love Melanie Lynskey to death and back like god drat Orpheus, but even that's not enough.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Alex Jones pivoting to lifestyle and Christian show makes perfect sense.

Alex Jones trying to steal Abby Shapiro's audience, but doesn't post enough feet pics

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

They think bringing up Epstein is an own because they think it's an example of Jones being correct in his accusations about certain elites being child molesters/traffickers. What they always fail to mention is how Jones didn't say a single loving word about Epstein until the guy was already pleading guilty to charges of child sexual abuse in court. IIRC Jones started talking about Epstein in 2008. Epstein started being investigated in 2005.

add 4 or 5 years onto that. and even then he didn't really make a big deal of it, he was just repeating what big british and american tabloids were reporting. the "all of the elites are pedos" stuff didnt start with him until around pizzagate. he did always think they were demons who worship satan or pagan gods though, but would say they were sacrificing children, not having sex with them.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cthulu Carl posted:

Alex Jones trying to steal Abby Shapiro's audience, but doesn't post enough feet pics

PLease don't convince alex to post his shrek feet. You know they're bad.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Cthulu Carl posted:

"Bringing in the sheaves | Bringing in the sheaves!"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Frank Frank posted:

I do. It will allow me to control them at which point I will finally be able to defeat Solid Snake

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Fire kills everything!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

does anyone actually know what is going to happen from this point going forward? good lord is there a lot of very different things being said by a lot of different people

capped? no capped? appeal? what. what is loving happening.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

ben shapino posted:

does anyone actually know what is going to happen from this point going forward? good lord is there a lot of very different things being said by a lot of different people

capped? no capped? appeal? what. what is loving happening.

All I know is that you can introduce me to your sister and I''ll do everything in my power to make things right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

ben shapino posted:

About which thing?

Damages
The damages in this trial would normally be statutoraly capped but they will appeal it. Bankston may have a case on appeal since its a default judgment and that's a unique fact we haven't seen in case law but the odds are pretty against him. I'd get it a 80% chance the damages get capped.

Defense Appeals
Reynal will appeal some poo poo and likely lose all of it. Get hosed Reynal.

Sanctions
Reynal is gonna get slapped for a bunch of sanctions. Reynal will have to go to CT to have a disciplinary hearing. AJ might sue Reynal for malpractice to make Reynal's insurance pay some of the debts.

Other lawsuits
There will be many more lawsuits about lots of different matters. More defamation suits and the bankruptcy trial. Jones will pay a lot of money for many years. There are 6+ more lawsuits for AJ to deal with.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 6, 2022