Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Saltpowered posted:

About which thing?

Damages
The damages in this trial would normally be statutoraly capped but they will appeal it. Bankston may have a case on appeal since its a default judgment and that's a unique fact we haven't seen in case law but the odds are pretty against him. I'd get it a 80% chance the damages get capped.

Defense Appeals
Reynal will appeal some poo poo and likely lose all of it. Get hosed Reynal.

Sanctions
Reynal is gonna get slapped for a bunch of sanctions. Reynal will have to go to CT to have a disciplinary hearing. AJ might sue Reynal for malpractice to make Reynal's insurance pay some of the debts.

Other trials
There will be many more trials about lots of different matters. More defamation suits and the bankruptcy trial. Jones will pay a lot of money for many years. There are 6+ more trials for AJ to deal with.

80% chance of capping the damages at WHAT? i'm seeing 750k, 750k per person, and up to 10x the compensatory damages (which would be 41 mil)... what is the actual cap that is likely to be enforced, if any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

ben shapino posted:

80% chance of capping the damages at WHAT? i'm seeing 750k, 750k per person, and up to 10x the compensatory damages (which would be 41 mil)... what is the actual cap that is likely to be enforced, if any?

750k per plaintiff per count. So $4.5M. I'm not going to post the Texas code for the 5th time but that's it.

Now, the $750k cap per plaintiff per count is not automatic either. The court of appeals could set it lower than that and frequently do. There was a big contract related case involving... BMW I think... a few years ago where $100M+ in punitive damages got turned into $600k.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’d like to know who gave Jones that $8mil bailout recently, and I bet the phone leak has some clues about it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

ben shapino posted:

We don't really know yet. The defense will try to fight for the lowest possible number, the plaintiffs the highest possible number, and the ultimate judgment somewhere in between. I don't think any of us can just read off a law book and say it's going to be x. It's going to be litigated. But it's at least a few million dollars, for sure.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Saltpowered posted:

750k per plaintiff per count. So $4.5M. I'm not going to post the Texas code for the 5th time but that's it.

Now, the $750k cap per plaintiff per count is not automatic either. The court of appeals could set it lower than that and frequently do. There was a big contract related case involving... BMW I think... a few years ago where $100M+ in punitive damages got turned into $600k.

how many counts? is that 4.5M per plaintiff or in total?

this is what i mean about people really not communicating the details well. i cant find any of this in any news articles or anything and am just hearing all kinds of things all over the place.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

ben shapino posted:

how many counts? is that 4.5M per plaintiff or in total?

this is what i mean about people really not communicating the details well. i cant find any of this in any news articles or anything and am just hearing all kinds of things all over the place.

There are 2 plaintiffs, there are 3 counts, that's $4.5M. There's lots of details and discussions about this in the last few pages.

Just assume that AJ is on the hook for a large sum of money that could be up to the $45M but will likely be less. Law is complicated especially Tort damages.

It will still hurt him. There are still more cases.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pirate Radar posted:

I’d like to know who gave Jones that $8mil bailout recently, and I bet the phone leak has some clues about it.

Peter Thiel is the most common and well-supported hypothesis, but it’s miles from certain so keep a bag of rock salt handy if you investigate.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Pirate Radar posted:

We'll find out in the bankruptcy trial. Especially since he's talked about it so drat much on the air but didn't put it in any of his financials as part of that filing.

:rubby:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah, it's important to keep in mind that Alex Jones isn't Microsoft. His enterprise can take some wounding and survive, but even a couple million is not small change for him, and it will have some negative effect on his business if nothing else. Compounding that with multiple judgments will only make the bleeding worse.

There's never going to be a storybook ending where Alex Jones is suddenly destitute in an instant. Reality/Life doesn't work like that. But a win is a win.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
He might have to sell some toys—the boat, the big truck, etc—and that will piss him off

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pirate Radar posted:

He might have to sell some toys—the boat, the big truck, etc—and that will piss him off

The tank???

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Pirate Radar posted:

A long shot but given the Austin -> Jones-> Rogan connections, I keep waiting for Elon to show up.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I don't care how poor he is, I just want him off the air

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I can see a wonderful cycle of fans donate to Alex > Alex pays off lawsuits > Alex badmouths the people from the lawsuits and encourages violence towards them > Alex gets sued and seeks donations

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Xiahou Dun posted:

The tank???

It’s not even a tank! It’s a Ford with armor plating owned by a delusional narcissist.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Devils Affricate posted:

Well, that’s never really gonna happen. Even if FSS shuts down and Alex can’t promote himself, someone else will promote him.

Short of Alex going to jail, and maybe not even then, there’s not that is going to get him offline.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Sure, but in the real world, what you want is for him to be Glenn Beck'd. Made so irrelevant and ridiculous that even people on his side think he's a buffoon and a joke. Get him as far to the absolute floor of his support that you can, and hope the rest of the world forgets about him. Make him an irrelevant joke. This trial has done a lot towards that, a lot like the Jan 6th hearings are doing to Trump. Death by 1000 cuts takes too long to feel like justice, but sometimes that's the best you can do. I'll take it over having nothing done but me metaphorically waving my fist at him.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

Even when his huffing and puffing is disingenuous his heart doesn't know it, the best chance for him to die naturally, soon, is live on air.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is there a timeline when any of the others cases begin or at least status of them all?
One the CT cases is starting Sept, if the bankruptcy stay is lifted, right?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Judge said the Pozner case would start mid September. Hopefully the infowars playbook of delay tactics is running out of pages.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Alex Jones runs for political office if his show goes off the air.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I guess what I'm saying is I would really like for him to be put in jail for his crimes.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

I guess what I'm saying is I would really like for him to be put in jail for his crimes.

Lol what are you, drunk?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s not even a tank! It’s a Ford with armor plating owned by a delusional narcissist.

O so a technical.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

fork jail wont cut it, alex needs a spork jail (for the chili)

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Remember when Jones went running and it looked like if a gorilla was running in a cartoon?

https://i.imgur.com/QvJzFtS.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igSHbtv52G4

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Snowy posted:

I started beekeeping and it gave me a new appreciation for yellowjackets

While yellowjackets can and will sting multiple times, there’s no venom! It sucks when they sting you but it’s done. Even if you aren’t allergic to a bee sting you can still end up swollen, itchy and in pain.

Last summer I mowed into a Yellowjacket hive and I’d rather do that again than get stung by a honeybee

So they basically just try to stab you to death with tiny, tiny daggers?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Xiahou Dun posted:

O so a technical.

Only when he stands up in the back of it, since his voice is a weapon.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
$45.2 million.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/05/media/alex-jones-punitive-damages-sandy-hook/index.html

quote:

New York (CNN Business)A Texas jury has decided to penalize Alex Jones with $45.2 million in punitive damages in a lawsuit filed by the parents of Sandy Hook shooting victim Jesse Lewis.

Plaintiffs Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis were awarded a total of just under $50 million in both compensatory and punitive damages. Of the total $49.3 million, the $45.2 million in punitive damages may be reduced due to Texas statute.

Suck it Jones.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So it turns out yellowjackets actually do have venom but I stand by my position that honeybee stings are worse. Wasp stings have much less venom, even if you’re stung multiple times it’s likely to be less overall than one bee sting, plus it’s spread to multiple locations rather than one.

Yellowjackets are fine

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowy posted:

So it turns out yellowjackets actually do have venom but I stand by my position that honeybee stings are worse. Wasp stings have much less venom, even if you’re stung multiple times it’s likely to be less overall than one bee sting, plus it’s spread to multiple locations rather than one.

Yellowjackets are fine

I got swarmed as a kid and was stung 47 times. I was functionally immobile for several days and it sucked a lot. I’m not allergic to them or bees, nor am I scared of them now. But I do find this interesting because I don’t find their stings less painful than honeybee stings. Honeybees are so uncommon now I almost miss the occasional sting on the foot

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

DeimosRising posted:

I got swarmed as a kid and was stung 47 times. I was functionally immobile for several days and it sucked a lot. I’m not allergic to them or bees, nor am I scared of them now. But I do find this interesting because I don’t find their stings less painful than honeybee stings. Honeybees are so uncommon now I almost miss the occasional sting on the foot

In my experience the sting isn’t less painful than a bee’s, but the after effects are much milder

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ben shapino posted:

does anyone actually know what is going to happen from this point going forward?

There's going to be an epic storm on the internet when someone leaks AJ's phone.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Is there a video available of his dumbshit lawyer getting laughed at by the judge about the phone? Missed it yesterday.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Xiahou Dun posted:

Peter Thiel is the most common and well-supported hypothesis, but it’s miles from certain so keep a bag of rock salt handy if you investigate.

I would think if Peter Thiel is potentially involved, garlic or a silver cross would be more handy to have during your investigation.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

yippeekiyaymf posted:

Is there a video available of his dumbshit lawyer getting laughed at by the judge about the phone? Missed it yesterday.

A full recording of yesterdays livestream is up on the court's youtube page, but it's unlisted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_TT7yFiXyU&t=28234s
Starts at about 7:50:00.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Snowy posted:

I started beekeeping and it gave me a new appreciation for yellowjackets

While yellowjackets can and will sting multiple times, there’s no venom! It sucks when they sting you but it’s done. Even if you aren’t allergic to a bee sting you can still end up swollen, itchy and in pain.

Last summer I mowed into a Yellowjacket hive and I’d rather do that again than get stung by a honeybee

Also Alex Jones sucks

E- good lord that bee poo poo was pages back I see now, pardon me
WTF yellowjackets absolutely have venom.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Hungry Computer posted:

A full recording of yesterdays livestream is up on the court's youtube page, but it's unlisted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_TT7yFiXyU&t=28234s
Starts at about 7:50:00.

Thank you.

This is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

cat botherer posted:

WTF yellowjackets absolutely have venom.

Yeah I know now, jeez. They just inject much less per sting than a honeybee, so the stings aren’t as likely to have lasting effects, or so I’ve read. Ymmv of course