Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I have a bee venom allergy; if you don’t hear from me again the yellowjackets are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Peter Thiel is the most common and well-supported hypothesis, but it’s miles from certain so keep a bag of rock salt handy if you investigate.

Considering Glenn Greenwald and NotDasha from Redscare are super chummy with Jones, it almost certainly has to be Thiel.

What are the odds the lawyer's malpractice insurer has to pay? Regular insurance companies are massive poo poo stains, I have to an insurance company that deals with lawyers are super poo poo staons

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I am allergic to wasps, but not bees. Makes me swell up like there's half a tennis ball under the skin. Got stung by a hornet once, that was worse.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

I really enjoyed this post, thank you.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

ashpanash posted:

Sure, but in the real world, what you want is for him to be Glenn Beck'd. Made so irrelevant and ridiculous that even people on his side think he's a buffoon and a joke.

I wonder what the big boy fascists like Tucker, DeSantis, Cruz ect think about the phone leak. Alex was at least a useful idiot for them before, but now? I wonder how bad Alex has hosed them.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Stoatbringer posted:

So they basically just try to stab you to death with tiny, tiny daggers?

OP is wrong; they absolutely do have venom. We cleared an infestation out of a cottage over the course of a week, and the first couple hurt on day one but the seventh a few days later barely registered because I had antibodies by then. Insect venom is absolutely not something you want to play games with though, as those people who died from woo-woo bee venom "therapy" showed us. Accumulated tolerance can collapse and kill you.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

NotDasha from Redscare

Ok so I know little about red scare outside of the phrase “dirtbag left” and “women who are angry that someone could have bigger boobs than them”. I know one of them is weirdly on Succession, and I think it’s her?

I feel too old at 31 for any of that, minus the show Succession. I tried one episode of Chapo and Cumtown respectively and nah nope no thanks. It’s the same pitted feeling of ironic [whatever], added with “but they definitely have decent coke hookups”

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

teen witch posted:

Ok so I know little about red scare outside of the phrase “dirtbag left” and “women who are angry that someone could have bigger boobs than them”. I know one of them is weirdly on Succession, and I think it’s her?

I feel too old at 31 for any of that, minus the show Succession. I tried one episode of Chapo and Cumtown respectively and nah nope no thanks. It’s the same pitted feeling of ironic [whatever], added with “but they definitely have decent coke hookups”

Red Scare has been on there “ironically trad wife” phase from what I can gather. It seems like it’s slowly getting less ironic the more I see people talk about it. Also one went anti vax IIRC.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

teen witch posted:

They're just another of those "we're left wing!" bunch who are actually fascists who hang out with Alex Jones and stuff. Like Glenn.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
I get Red Scare Anna posts in my timeline sometimes because of The Algorithm and they are always People magazine headlines with 6 layers of irony. They suck and are clearly terminal clout chasers

I tend to agree with Dan that (I suspect) the Bitcoin is coming from Max Keiser. He hasn't been talked about on KF for a long time but he is apparently wildly influential in the crypto space. It seems to me that he is making a simple investment in keeping an avenue open where he can come on and pump his poo poo whenever he feels like it.

The Thiel theory is definitely possible and I like the affiliation angle. And of course Jones' recent trip to California supports the theory.

There's also the possibility that it is Notch or some other crypto weirdo out in Silicon Valley, lord knows there are plenty of them.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Grand Fromage posted:

They're just another of those "we're left wing!" bunch who are actually fascists who hang out with Alex Jones and stuff. Like Glenn.

Which gets even more laughable when you remember that Dasha Nekrasova was interviewed by Infowars all the way back in 2016 as a Bernie supporter and got Twitter FamousTM for a few days because it made them look even more desperate and pathetic than usual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THUFzmmKMPs

It's deeply unsettling for me how she went from "you people have worms in your brains" to fully embracing them as the new counter-culture.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but notdasha was on Tumblr years ago. They had a ussr anime girl icon. Also talked about how Americans need to stop talking about racism.

I'm so surprised and not surprised to see that they are somewhat famous. :psyduck:

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Fell Mood posted:

I wonder what the big boy fascists like Tucker, DeSantis, Cruz ect think about the phone leak. Alex was at least a useful idiot for them before, but now? I wonder how bad Alex has hosed them.

The chances of jones having direct correspondence with Cruz or dessantis on there is almost zero but could be interesting to see what if any associated staffers might be in his texts. I’m just hoping the texts will get jones himself in trouble I don’t see him being a useful witness to flip on senators or what have you.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Generic American posted:

Which gets even more laughable when you remember that Dasha Nekrasova was interviewed by Infowars all the way back in 2016 as a Bernie supporter and got Twitter FamousTM for a few days because it made them look even more desperate and pathetic than usual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THUFzmmKMPs

It's deeply unsettling for me how she went from "you people have worms in your brains" to fully embracing them as the new counter-culture.

They are just following the money/clout. It’s pretty easy to get reshares and boosted in the alt-right arena compared to anywhere else and there’s a lot of money to be made doing it. If you don’t have any morals and want an audience, pretty easy. Just like a lot of people who hopped on the Covid-influencer gravy train.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

0konner posted:

The chances of jones having direct correspondence with Cruz or dessantis on there is almost zero but could be interesting to see what if any associated staffers might be in his texts. I’m just hoping the texts will get jones himself in trouble I don’t see him being a useful witness to flip on senators or what have you.

Ok but I’d love to see desperate thirsty texts from Alex to like, Rand Paul

If I had the discipline I’d photoshop what is on Alex’s phone

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Say here's a question I've been wondering.

So the Jury couldn't be told about the damage cap.

So what sort of penalty would you suffer for telling them. I less mean the effect on the trial, which I assume would be some sort of mistrial. But what sort of personal sanctions would they get if say the judge, or one of the lawyers had told them, or even a random court observer just stood up and blurted it out to the jury.?

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

teen witch posted:

Ok but I’d love to see desperate thirsty texts from Alex to like, Rand Paul

If I had the discipline I’d photoshop what is on Alex’s phone
Oh yeah that could be good stuff he might have Michael Flynn’s actual phone number even and he spent awhile very publicly thirsting for him.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Say here's a question I've been wondering.

So the Jury couldn't be told about the damage cap.

So what sort of penalty would you suffer for telling them. I less mean the effect on the trial, which I assume would be some sort of mistrial. But what sort of personal sanctions would they get if say the judge, or one of the lawyers had told them, or even a random court observer just stood up and blurted it out to the jury.?

The states having punitive caps isn't forbidden knowledge. Who said they weren't allowed to be told the laws of the court they were a juror in?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

0konner posted:

Don't all the assholes like Hannity and Tucker have direct lines to the White House and congress people? I wouldn't be surprised at all if AJ had too.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

wit posted:

The states having punitive caps isn't forbidden knowledge. Who said they weren't allowed to be told the laws of the court they were a juror in?

The statute itself does. "(e) The provisions of this section may not be made known to a jury by any means, including voir dire, introduction into evidence, argument, or instruction."

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

wit posted:

It's part of the statute.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/CP/htm/CP.41.htm#41.001 posted:

(e) The provisions of this section may not be made known to a jury by any means, including voir dire, introduction into evidence, argument, or instruction.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

god please help me posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but notdasha was on Tumblr years ago. They had a ussr anime girl icon. Also talked about how Americans need to stop talking about racism.

I'm so surprised and not surprised to see that they are somewhat famous. :psyduck:

She also has a supporting role on Succession.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wit posted:

there are only three states where the jury is allowed to be informed of damage caps

https://civiljuryproject.law.nyu.edu/do-jurors-know-about-damage-caps/

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
I have a strong feeling that we are going to find Alex Jones, world's biggest conspiracy theorist, guilty of multiple criminal conspiracies

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009

Cacator posted:

She also has a supporting role on Succession.

I don't think her character is coming back next season actually.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

wit posted:

It actually is Forbidden knowledge, at least in Texas. Written right into the statute that you can't inform the Jury.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I mentally don't understand how someone could like Alex Jones. Maybe they agree with his ideas but I can't listen to him talk for more than a few minutes and not get a headache. And that's mostly down to all his shouting.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

wit posted:

The law explicitly prohibits the judge or lawyers from bringing it up in any way (directly or indirectly). It's not illegal to know, but a good lawyer would try to suss that out at jury selection.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't all the assholes like Hannity and Tucker have direct lines to the White House and congress people? I wouldn't be surprised at all if AJ had too.

First off I’m pretty sure hannity is richer than jones and I’d guarantee tucker is. Secondly trump loved them cause he watched cable tv news all day but he was never going to listen to obscure hours of fm radio or look up banned.video uploads. Even if infowars has more reach than, say, pod save america that’s not necessarily going to carry the platform or prestige that made fox hosts among trump’s favorite advisers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tucker is effectively a billionaire if he isn't already. He's the heir to Swanson Foods.

To answer the question about what would happen if someone in the crowd jumped up and yelled about the punitive caps - there would be a mistrial. The jury would be dismissed, and the trial would start over. The person who jumped up and yelled may be held in contempt. At a quick glance, it looks like judges in Texas can toss someone in jail for up to six months for contempt.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

0konner posted:

I agree that anyone important will be isolated from direct incrimination. They all like to use Alex but I doubt they trust him.

I was just thinking of his personal narcissism. He got such a huge ego boost anytime someone would pay attention to him. I hope patriot front, 3%ers ect won't even return his calls. Like he's not even a good useful idiot if you know there's always a chance that all communications will fall into your enemies hands because of his stupidity.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
It would be legal to conduct a comprehensive public information campaign such that it will be impossible to empanel a jury that does not know about (or does not admit to knowing about) the cap on punitive damages.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

So if you've found out about this rule by being a juror previously, you can't be a juror again (in a damages case)?

"We reject Juror #7 because SHE HAS THE FORBIDDEN KNOWLEDGE!"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tucker is effectively a billionaire if he isn't already. He's the heir to Swanson Foods.

To answer the question about what would happen if someone in the crowd jumped up and yelled about the punitive caps - there would be a mistrial. The jury would be dismissed, and the trial would start over. The person who jumped up and yelled may be held in contempt. At a quick glance, it looks like judges in Texas can toss someone in jail for up to six months for contempt.
Ok but I’ve wondered this, because I was sort of in this position once: what about if, during jury deliberation, one juror tells the others about punitive caps? Is that kosher?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Fell Mood posted:

I agree that anyone important will be isolated from direct incrimination. They all like to use Alex but I doubt they trust him.

I was just thinking of his personal narcissism. He got such a huge ego boost anytime someone would pay attention to him. I hope patriot front, 3%ers ect won't even return his calls. Like he's not even a good useful idiot if you know there's always a chance that all communications will fall into your enemies hands because of his stupidity.

Agreed on all points, but it’s worth keeping in mind that “idiots who can’t keep a secret” is a substantial portion of the alt-right and really everyone, just generally.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Ok but I’ve wondered this, because I was sort of in this position once: what about if, during jury deliberation, one juror tells the others about punitive caps? Is that kosher?

I don't know all of TX jury conduct rules, so it might violate one of those. However, I don't think anything would happen to the jury and it would not cause a mistrial unless someone sent a note to the judge to ask about it.

Moving punitive damages to compensatory instead to avoid caps would be a type of jury nullification which the state will scream about as wrong but really they can't do anything about it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Can they do punitive caps like Price Is Right where if you go over the maximum amount the person being charged doesn't have to pay a thing?

Maybe that was Alex's plan all along: "If I piss everyone in the courtroom off they'll fine me $1B dollars! The judge with throw out the verdict because it goes over the cap and I pay nothing!"

Alex's lawyers nod sagely at one another.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Stoatbringer posted:

So if you've found out about this rule by being a juror previously, you can't be a juror again (in a damages case)?

You can reject a potential juror for any reason, or literally no reason, as long as there is another potential juror that could be picked instead.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My understanding is that it would violate the general principle of "do not consider things that were neither brought up in court nor told to you by the judge" and the judge could ding the violating juror if they found out. Would they necessarily find out? Well, no, but I personally am probably too much of a coward to risk contempt or a fine or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Stoatbringer posted:

Isn't there something about jury nullification that can get you out of jury duty if you know about it?