Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

this is a manga rather than an anime, but would you like to read about a vigilante seeking to clean up the extremely corrupt government of japan (in other words, see a bunch of super evil politicians get murdered in increasingly hilariously creative ways)? then you should try Akumetsu

https://mangadex.org/title/01c60e88-6a8d-449b-a538-f4946070b108/akumetsu

it's a fun ride like 90% of the time

edit: it's been a while since I read it so I don't remember if it has fanservice or not, I don't remember it having much if it has any at all though

This looks dope. I'll def check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Hanasaku Iroha, which is basically better Sakura Quest.

I watched this and it was great but I unno I sorta feel the same about most PA Works original shows now that I think about it in that there's just something really unfulfilling about it. I'm struggling to describe this feeling but its like... I unno. Maybe the shows don't all have a giant intersected nexus of failure, but I just think they are really good at setting up angsty poo poo and letting it kinda just dawdle out.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eat The Rich posted:

This looks dope. I'll def check it out.

Not fan service but the first chapter has some sexual exploitation stuff just heads up.

Akamatsu is pretty great. I always forget how it ends but it goes pretty hard for pretty long.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Very subjective request but anyone got recs for standalone shows that are maybe ~12 eps (or 6ish hours) that are nice and bingeable?

Some shows I've seen that I'd say fall in to that camp:
* Odd Taxi
* Humanity has Declined
* Paranoia Agent
* Hanebado!
* D-Frag
* SSSS.Gridman

It's not a big deal if it's a show that has sequel seasons, but I'm really in the mood for something with a definite stopping point for the season or series that I could watch in a weekend.

The list above is pretty scattershot in terms of genre but they were all shows that I was either watching immediately as they came out weekly or got their hooks in me and would keep me watching for a couple hours at a time if I was watching them after they finished.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just to name a few:

Gatchaman Crowds
Kyousougiga
Madoka Magica
Asobi Asobase
Akudama Drive
Deca-Dence
Megalobox
Serial Experiments Lain
Shimoneta

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You would like……… Noragami.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Ping Pong the Animation
Planet With

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Elfen lied :getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

Very subjective request but anyone got recs for standalone shows that are maybe ~12 eps (or 6ish hours) that are nice and bingeable?

* Odd Taxi
* Humanity has Declined
* Paranoia Agent
* Hanebado!
* D-Frag
* SSSS.Gridman

It's not a big deal if it's a show that has sequel seasons, but I'm really in the mood for something with a definite stopping point for the season or series that I could watch in a weekend.

The list above is pretty scattershot in terms of genre but they were all shows that I was either watching immediately as they came out weekly or got their hooks in me and would keep me watching for a couple hours at a time if I was watching them after they finished.

A place further than the universe

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Erg posted:

* Odd Taxi
* Humanity has Declined
* Paranoia Agent
* Hanebado!
* D-Frag
* SSSS.Gridman

Gunbuster and Diebuster after it, six episodes each

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Gunbuster and Diebuster after it, six episodes each

Oh gently caress yeah, real answer. NOT THE COMPILATION MOVIES.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Erg posted:

Anohana
Baccano! (16 eps, technically)
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Dorohedoro
Kaiba
Panty & Stocking
Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight
Sk8 the Infinity
Usagi Drop

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

For an oddball pick, maybe Orgus II? It has some heavier references to the original in the last couple episodes, but the main characters are all new and the plot is mostly self-contained.

Beyond that, for possible picks nobody seems to have mentioned yet...

FLCL
Mazinkaizer SKL
Oh Maidens in your Savage Season
Macross Plus
Armored Hunter Mellowlink (only light ties to VOTOMS, should be fine)
Vivy: Fluorite’s Eye Song
One Punch Man season 1
Rascal does not dream of Bunnygirl Senpai
Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
Hinamatsuri (Although the manga is better and goes much further).
Hisone and Masotan
Wave: Listen to Me

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Ping Pong the Animation

epic this

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Erg posted:

ACCA:13
Haibane Renmei :hr:
Flip Flappers
Violet Evergarden (shameless tearjerker, beautiful animation)
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
The Tatami Galaxy
Kino's Journey (2003)

. . . and basically every single series that folks mentioned above except the joke answer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Erg posted:

* Odd Taxi
* Humanity has Declined
* Paranoia Agent
* Hanebado!
* D-Frag
* SSSS.Gridman

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Looking for an anime in the vein of Pink Panther/Mr Bean/Austin Powers where the main character is a total doofus that constantly mucks things up but is supported by a fun cast of competent people.

So tired of the OP MC that is being stuffed into every isekai and shonen. I want to see normal people making normal mistakes in extraordinary situations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for an anime in the vein of Pink Panther/Mr Bean/Austin Powers where the main character is a total doofus that constantly mucks things up but is supported by a fun cast of competent people.

So tired of the OP MC that is being stuffed into every isekai and shonen. I want to see normal people making normal mistakes in extraordinary situations.

If it wasn't for the addition of supported by competent people then I would have suggested Konosuba. It is an isekai but the mc has pretty much no powers who gets results by cobbling together a party full of very powerful people on paper but in the end are just different types of disasters.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Konosuba :v:

Edit: gently caress

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I have watched Konosuba multiple times but yeah, everyone in that show is an incompetent doofus.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

As someone who hasn't seen it, i think irresponsible captain tylor fits the bill, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Julias posted:

As someone who hasn't seen it, i think irresponsible captain tylor fits the bill, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I was going to recommend the same thing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I recently saw a weird rear end indie game shmup where the pilot was fused together with their disturbing-looking organic ship and I really liked that concept so I'm looking for some sort of media that uses that. Any recommendations? Anime and Manga are both fine. I can't seem to find anything like that myself.

The only things I managed to find are Gyver and that one very mainstream anime but it's a spoiler to say the title outright. It's Attack on Titan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furnaceface posted:

It's not an isekai, but watch Gamers to see five flavours of doofus experience complete misunderstandings about each of the four other doofuses. They're all nominally competent people, they all just operate on a lack of context or misunderstanding about some aspect of every other friend or relationship in the group, and it all turns into some amazing clusterfucks that can only be described as extraordinary.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I recently saw a weird rear end indie game shmup where the pilot was fused together with their disturbing-looking organic ship and I really liked that concept so I'm looking for some sort of media that uses that. Any recommendations? Anime and Manga are both fine. I can't seem to find anything like that myself.

The only things I managed to find are Gyver and that one very mainstream anime but it's a spoiler to say the title outright. It's Attack on Titan.

Gundam iron blooded orphans and gundam thunderbolt both do the direct neural interface with your robot thing and in both it's played for horror, but it isn't really the same as what you're describing. Off the top of my head I'm having trouble thinking of anything that fits any better though

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not an isekai, but watch Gamers to see five flavours of doofus experience complete misunderstandings about each of the four other doofuses. They're all nominally competent people, they all just operate on a lack of context or misunderstanding about some aspect of every other friend or relationship in the group, and it all turns into some amazing clusterfucks that can only be described as extraordinary.

That actually sounds kind of fun and close enough to what I was looking for, I will give it a shot.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the first 6 episodes of Gamers is one of the best romcom arcs ever

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jack Trades posted:

Recent-ish Gleipnir, Genocyber, also Baoh by the JoJo guy but there's not much of that.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 8, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

xam'd?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furnaceface posted:

That actually sounds kind of fun and close enough to what I was looking for, I will give it a shot.

Minor preface; Take the first episode with a grain of salt and stick with it. It's a 20-odd-minute shitpost to set up the actual show and cast.

Tales of Woe posted:

the first 6 episodes of Gamers is one of the best romcom arcs ever

Hell, there are drama shows with conspiracies less complex than the dynamics achieved by episode 6. You need need a corkboard, some red string, and copious notes to be on top of every single plan in motion by then. And then tear it all off the board and burn it all to start over after BECAUSE of episode 6. :allears:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I recently saw a weird rear end indie game shmup where the pilot was fused together with their disturbing-looking organic ship and I really liked that concept so I'm looking for some sort of media that uses that. Any recommendations?

There’s some elements like that later in trigun maximum

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so I got this post in my sa-mart thread where I'm selling a whole bunch of manga:

Subjunctive posted:

Hey Captain--

I'm looking for some manga that might be suitable for a moderately naive 12-yo, so no sex or graphic violence. Do you have anything like that? I'll basically clean you out of your supply of such things.

I've not read all the series included in the various bundles I've acquired, but of those series listed there that I have, most don't fit the bill for a 12-year-old besides like, Flying Witch. Any other suggestions from the list that might work? Obviously not things like Vinland Saga, Attack on Titan, Battle Angel Alita, or Parasyte, but would like, Your Lie In April be good for them? Or Fairy Tail, maybe? I feel like I've heard Fairy Tail is pretty horny but I've never checked it out so I'd like to make sure before recommending anything to them.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Fairy Tail is horny but like… horny in a childish way that isn’t bad for a middle schooler to read

A lot of these titles are suitable for kids. I’d recommend Witch Hat Atelier, Blue Period, Your Lie in April, Drifting Dragons, Heavens Design Team, and Cells At Work as all standout works that I’d be comfortable giving to a seventh grader

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 10, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fairy tail gets pretty turnt up honestly but it depends on your standards, its clearly aimed at kids in japan but the standards for that between here and there are different.

some of the content of, say, blue period, might also go over a kid's head, since its a pretty grounded series about art students. if theyre interested in art or more thoughtful than go for it but again, know your audience here and all. what's the kid interested in? what sort of stories do you think theyd be into?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Your Lie in April is pretty basic, but deals with a lot of heavy poo poo like abuse, trauma, and terminal illnesses.

It made me cry multiple times.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

AlternateNu posted:

Your Lie in April is pretty basic, but deals with a lot of heavy poo poo like abuse, trauma, and terminal illnesses.

It made me cry multiple times.

Young people eat that poo poo up though. There’s a reason The Fault in Our Stars got so big

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu is about a modern-day Japanese restaurant who sets up shop in a medieval world. The most drama that happens is "oh no will the restaurant have to shut down", very chill and fun to read otherwise. Food illustrations are lovely too.

Edit: oh I didn't see that we were picking off a list. I'll just keep my rec up as a generic one then.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 10, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Endorph posted:

fairy tail gets pretty turnt up honestly but it depends on your standards, its clearly aimed at kids in japan but the standards for that between here and there are different.

some of the content of, say, blue period, might also go over a kid's head, since its a pretty grounded series about art students. if theyre interested in art or more thoughtful than go for it but again, know your audience here and all. what's the kid interested in? what sort of stories do you think theyd be into?

Hey hey!

I’m OK with people flirting and being into each other—this is part of the reality of a 7th-grade girl for sure—as long as we’re not talking about explicit “more serious than kissing” activities being depicted. Trying to protect against both her getting weirded out and her father having a case for saying I’m giving sexual content to the kid.

She has been reading some inoffensive kid-at-school and kid-taking-care-of-animals manga recently, but I think that heavier topics are ok. She’s quite empathetic but someone getting bullied isn’t going to break her.

If stuff is mostly OK but maybe a bit of a stretch, then I’ll just keep it and give it to her when she seems ready. Just trying to avoid some of what I encountered randomly picking up manga at a used book store, with conspicuous sexual or other graphic violence.

I don’t know if that’s helpful at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

cells at work is great but both the original flavor and BLACK are pretty violent, though mostly comically? Either way if comically over the top murder of germs is an issue there's your warning.

cells at work code black also has some pretty big baps and a strip-canabalism so you know, YMMV.