Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xealot posted:

I viewed Jupe as profoundly lacking self-awareness. Like, I don't think he views himself as having been exploited, prefers to maintain the illusion that his TV family was like a real family, that the Gordy incident was some freak accident, that Kid Sheriff is some still-valuable IP that matters and not just a racist relic that tokenized him. The way he speaks about his Gordy museum feels like a desperate attempt to claim ownership over something really horrible that happened to him, to place himself above it all, which I think applies equally to Jupiter's Claim in general.

Maybe he does have some clarity about it deep down, but I saw his behavior as willful self-deception. That he needs to view his career through rose-colored glasses to be functional.

Sure, I'll agree that he might not think of it as his own exploitation but he's a happy participant in the system of corruption and spectacle, and it's because he wants his own little piece of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Edit:

Yeesh, in addition to mocking the Gordy's Home attack that issue of MAD is also making jokes about the Heaven's Gate cult. Plays well into the whole "horrific tragedy turned into cheap entertainment" theme of the film.

Dollars to donuts they were thinking of the exact skit mentioned here when they were making the props. The little details in this film are astounding.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

Dollars to donuts they were thinking of the exact skit mentioned here when they were making the props. The little details in this film are astounding.

I remember seeing that skit as a kid and knowing it all felt kind of weird to watch, but not having the emotional maturity to process or explain why. Heaven's Gate, OJ Simpson, Jonbenet Ramsey; the 90s sure had a lot of grotesque tabloid media spectacle emerge around some outright tragic carnage. What a gross, cheap loving country this is!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I remember seeing that skit as a kid and knowing it all felt kind of weird to watch, but not having the emotional maturity to process or explain why. Heaven's Gate, OJ Simpson, Jonbenet Ramsey; the 90s sure had a lot of grotesque tabloid media spectacle emerge around some outright tragic carnage. What a gross, cheap loving country this is!

The 90s was very 'History is over, we beat the commies and the nazis and there's no more problems anymore, sexism and racism have gone away, so we can point and laugh at anyone!'

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah Jupe is one of the most interesting characters I've seen on screen for a very long time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 90s was very 'History is over, we beat the commies and the nazis and there's no more problems anymore, sexism and racism have gone away, so we can point and laugh at anyone!'

"What's that? The people we're all pointing and laughing at are all members of marginalized groups who are still very much suffering from the problems we're claiming are over? Just a coincidence I'm sure, don't think about it."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

Kid Sheriff

Yknow, for a movie that is pretty good about conserving its narrative detail, we never did find out what happened to the black kid from that

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Phy posted:

Yknow, for a movie that is pretty good about conserving its narrative detail, we never did find out what happened to the black kid from that

Em's question really said it all about 3D.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Double post

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phy posted:

He’s Nick Cannon now

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Just want to point something out real quick so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle:

The life-changing alien experience that Jupe had six months ago was the same life-changing experience that killed OJ and Em's dad and threw everything into disarray. He saw the monster suck up some random dude and decided to buy the show ranch and rebrand it as Jupiter's Claim after he saw the alien. He saw something incredible and decided to stake his fortune on it, risking whatever he had left from his acting career.

Whereas for OJ all he saw was of random bits of metal raining from the sky and killing an innocent bystander, the aftermath. (Even Ghost, the most valuable horse on the ranch, got wounded).

Also, when I was watching the Otis Senior death scene I imagined that it would be bullets from an Air Force jet that was pursuing the UFO falling uncaringly onto the landscape below. I did not expect a coin on the x-ray.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That had to be some explosive projectile diarrhea because a nickel falling at terminal velocity would not kill a man

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

That had to be some explosive projectile diarrhea because a nickel falling at terminal velocity would not kill a man

Even if it hit him in the Eye?

vvv Edit: especially if it was a loooong drive from your ranch to the hospital vvv

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 7, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It would probably if it hit you in the eyeball edge-on and at an angle to go into your brain.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Speleothing posted:

Just want to point something out real quick so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle:

The life-changing alien experience that Jupe had six months ago was the same life-changing experience that killed OJ and Em's dad and threw everything into disarray.

I missed a lot of the dialog in the beginning of the movie due to that drunk guy I mentioned earlier, when does he mention 6 months? I thought in the show right before JJ shows up he says 1 month ago he saw it and he'd been feeding it ever since.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, Jupe had been at his chintzy attraction for a while. There were posters for his reality TV season and it seemed like he had bought it because it had been in "Kid Sheriff." I think OJ wouldn't have trusted him enough to sell him horses if he hadn't been at least a familiar face.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

He's been feeding it every Friday night for six months, in an attempt to train it to show up during his shows.

Anyway, the line about ownership of the tourist trap changing to Jupiter is super clear when OJ and Em are driving home after the commercial shoot.

Ultimately, it's not a huge point. I'll wait until it comes out on streaming to confirm one way or the other.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 7, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Speleothing posted:

He's been feeding it every Friday night for six months, in an attempt to train it to show up during his shows.

Anyway, the line about ownership of the tourist trap changing to Jupiter is super clear when OJ and Em are driving home after the commercial shoot.
Jupe had already bought a bunch of horses from OJ at that point. He had a secret ape museum he used as an AirBNB for morbid Dutch people.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Jupe said he made an offer to the dad, so he had to be around before JJ started showing up

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I was discussing the timeline with my wife, her memory is Jupiter bought the place 3 years ago and had only been feeding JJ for a few weeks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

It would probably if it hit you in the eyeball edge-on and at an angle to go into your brain.

There's a reason the trailer cuts right from him dead in the hospital bed to OJ asking "Is there such a thing as a bad miracle?"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So something I wasn't clear on was does Jupe actually know that JJ is an animal or is he legitimately convinced that its an alien spacecraft.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He refers to The Viewers, plural, he thinks there's either a bunch of them or more likely that it's a ship.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

So something I wasn't clear on was does Jupe actually know that JJ is an animal or is he legitimately convinced that its an alien spacecraft.
His cowboy outfit during the Star Lasso show has a UFO on the back portrayed in a stereotypical flying saucer fashion, with (I think) a tractor beam and all that. He probably thinks it's aliens coming in a ship to uplift him to a better life, but tbh his thinking about the whole thing is a bit hard to pin down because he's a bit dreamy and delusional. And of course, it might kind of be both an animal AND sort of an alien spacecraft! Who knows.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

jasoneatspizza posted:

Jupe said he made an offer to the dad, so he had to be around before JJ started showing up

My reading was the the first thing JJ ate was the hikers who got lost, which is what Jupe witnessed. It was their keys and coins that killed the dad. After the dad died, Jupe started buying the horses from OJ to feed to JJ to see if he could tame it. Jupe fed each of the horses he bought from OJ to JJ, including on the night that OJ witnessed which was the first rehearsal of the show. After the successful rehearsal that night, Jupe put together a friends and family show. That's it.

He wouldn't have been feeding JJ every week for 6 months because what would he be feeding it? That would be 24 horses, which at the prices they were talking would be ludicrously expensive, and the ranch didn't seem to have nearly that many horses to begin with

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah he thinks it's a spacecraft and only realizes too late what it really is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Heliotrope posted:

Yeah he thinks it's a spacecraft and only realizes too late what it really is.

I'm not so sure. When OJ asks about getting the horses back, Jupe's reaction seemed to me to imply that he knew they were dead and not coming back. He thought the audience would be safe because he was never taken either, assuming that JJ was satiated by the horse meal. Which makes it even more clear how he didn't learn his lesson from Gordy, because the audience was hosed there, too.

You may be right, but I think both interpretation could be valid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

I'm not so sure. When OJ asks about getting the horses back, Jupe's reaction seemed to me to imply that he knew they were dead and not coming back. He thought the audience would be safe because he was never taken either, assuming that JJ was satiated by the horse meal. Which makes it even more clear how he didn't learn his lesson from Gordy, because the audience was hosed there, too.

You may be right, but I think both interpretation could be valid.

He could also just be thinking the 'Viewers' probably aren't giving the horses back for whatever reason- maybe he thinks they ARE eating them. Or taking them back to their home planet or whatever. Either way though, he's clearly assuming far more sentience and nuance to what the UFO is doing than what it actually has- much like he might assume as a child, much like the audience, that Gordy really is a sentient being or close enough to it rather than a trained animal made to perform and presented in specific ways to create the illusion of it. Though either way it's clear he really isn't thinking rationally about things, and both his preconceptions and his trauma are colouring his thought processes.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

My reading was the the first thing JJ ate was the hikers who got lost, which is what Jupe witnessed. It was their keys and coins that killed the dad. After the dad died, Jupe started buying the horses from OJ to feed to JJ to see if he could tame it. Jupe fed each of the horses he bought from OJ to JJ, including on the night that OJ witnessed which was the first rehearsal of the show. After the successful rehearsal that night, Jupe put together a friends and family show. That's it.

He wouldn't have been feeding JJ every week for 6 months because what would he be feeding it? That would be 24 horses, which at the prices they were talking would be ludicrously expensive, and the ranch didn't seem to have nearly that many horses to begin with

Having just left a second viewing (The Run Urban Legend is amazing)
Jupe has a spiel about JJ taking a horse (Trigger) and that's how he started leaning in on feeding JJ. After 3 years of owning a western tourist park and being willing to buy the Haywood ranch from Otis Sr, Jupe would have a stable of horses or other sellers beyond the Haywoods to fund the 6 months of routine horse-death. A horse in an arena was taken, so he kept rehearsing that moment at 6:13. Rather than going "what if I gave them a horse" after seeing the hikers swept up.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Maybe, but right before that happened, other indigestible stuff was hitting the ground with enough force to make bullet-like dust impacts. And later on when JJ is directly over the house after eating the crowd, it spits their coins and keys out with enough force to get embedded in the wooden porch steps.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel like whatever a nickel's terminal velocity is, it's gonna hit that when falling from cloud-height regardless of whether it's spat-out or dropped.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Imagine, if you will, the difference between dropping a cherry pit from shoulder height, and spitting it out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Presumably the same force that was applied to draw large objects up was also being used to expel them down, rather than just passive discharge. There ya go

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Who gives a poo poo. The nickel in the eye death was dope.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
JJ shot it out of his butt like a bullet. What's the mystery?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

LesterGroans posted:

Who gives a poo poo. The nickel in the eye death was dope.

The nickel in the eye death happened because somebody gave a poo poo

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Steve Yun posted:

The nickel in the eye death happened because somebody gave a poo poo

Yeah, and it was dope.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Speleothing posted:

Imagine, if you will, the difference between dropping a cherry pit from shoulder height, and spitting it out.

After finding some weirdo's calculations and doing some napkin math a nickel's terminal velocity is about 32mph and it hits this after about 35 feet of free fall. If it's falling from so high that JJ was hidden in a cloud it doesn't matter if you shot it out of a cannon or dropped it, air resistance is going to slow it down to 32mph quickly.

Nessus posted:

Presumably the same force that was applied to draw large objects up was also being used to expel them down, rather than just passive discharge. There ya go

I'll buy that.

Either way if it hits edge on that could easily go through your eyeball.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
An 11 K horse each show? The economics just don't make sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Just got back.

When we saw the crowd getting sucked through the digestive tract, was that the kids’ mask stuck in the beast’s craw, or a closeup of its gribbly insides that coincidentally kinda look like the mask?

At the end, I wonder what the pulsating square parachute structure was trying to convey. It reminded me of a color-changing cephalopod, or a dance of a fancy tropical bird. Was it afraid? Angry?

…horny?

Fake edit: It’s like it was agitated and was trying to make itself look big to scare off a predator.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 7, 2022