Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Delphisage posted:

Overhaul. He's a villain that should've been a long-term issue, but the story just forgets about him because the author wasn't interested.

which reminds me that we still have to pay off overhaul's seemingly random re-entry into the story. unless him saying he wanted to apologize was the payoff, in which case lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Valentin posted:

which reminds me that we still have to pay off overhaul's seemingly random re-entry into the story. unless him saying he wanted to apologize was the payoff, in which case lmao

I've always suspected he was going to be in the center of a mini-arc where he tries to revive the Hassai-Kai boss. Maybe then the mafias would regain relevance by organizing relief efforts.

He's always been my favorite villain in the show, so while I never want him to be forgiven, I'd love to have gotten more of him. But then Hori forgot about him so hard that the fact his quirk didn't get stolen by AFO or Shigaraki remains a giant plothole.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Delphisage posted:

I've always suspected he was going to be in the center of a mini-arc where he tries to revive the Hassai-Kai boss. Maybe then the mafias would regain relevance by organizing relief efforts.

He's always been my favorite villain in the show, so while I never want him to be forgiven, I'd love to have gotten more of him. But then Hori forgot about him so hard that the fact his quirk didn't get stolen by AFO or Shigaraki remains a giant plothole.

Yeah, like... just get Monoma to copy his quirk and he could be getting the 16 heroes that get their arms popped off or livers torn out every single fight back to full power again.

Sure it's kind of a gross violation of Overhaul's human rights to use him as a power battery like that, but all the main characters endorse Impel Down in this setting, rather than it being a symbol of how the government is horribly authoritarian and corrupt and should be destroyed, so lol.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah, like... just get Monoma to copy his quirk and he could be getting the 16 heroes that get their arms popped off or livers torn out every single fight back to full power again.

Sure it's kind of a gross violation of Overhaul's human rights to use him as a power battery like that, but all the main characters endorse Impel Down in this setting, rather than it being a symbol of how the government is horribly authoritarian and corrupt and should be destroyed, so lol.

The inherent problems with a setting where "society just like modern day, except people have bespoke superpowers of wildly different power levels" really come to light in the hosed up prison system here, where putting someone like AfO in a super straight jacket and trapping him in isolation is nightmarishly inhumane but the only other way to contain someone with WMD level superpowers like that is to kill them immediately on capture.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Delphisage posted:

I was asking seriously there, btw: Why did Horikoshi make three direct homages to Obito in the form of Shigaraki, Dabi and Kurogiri?

Dabi did a fun dance and revels in being a shitter, he's a good villain.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

O MY EXPLOSIVE QUIRK

I get this, this is funny, this poster deserves recognition

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Delphisage posted:

Overhaul. He's a villain that should've been a long-term issue, but the story just forgets about him because the author wasn't interested.

Either him or Dr. War Crimes. They both even have the child experimentation down.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of naruto, in this week's chapter bakugo's part has mad kakashi vibes from when he "died" to pain

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Valentin posted:

I'm going to be confused if he doesn't just tell them how to make quirk-erasing bullets. I mean, I guess it wouldn't do much considering Shiggy's current rampage but Overhaul getting to pull a reverse-uno on him would be a hilarious moment.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Manatee Cannon posted:

speaking of naruto, in this week's chapter bakugo's part has mad kakashi vibes from when he "died" to pain

And just like that fight, it's a death the author should be sticking to, but won't because hack writing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-362/chapter/25069?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013868

lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

• You can see Tamaki shove what looks like a shrimp claw into the giant flesh cannon on the first page. Immediately the flesh cannon begins charging up an energy blast. Pistol shrimp gunfire confirmed.
  • On pages 1 and 5 Shigaraki seems to instantly and instinctively detect a threat approaching him. His Quirks are turned off so I guess it's standard shonen "detected your killing intent!" stuff.
  • Bakugo is consciously using Deku's self-harm technique from early on in the manga lol.
  • It doesn't look like Bakugo's attacks did anything but I think the idea was Shigaraki managed to tank everything else after becoming aware of the incoming attack, so Bakugo was trying to hit him where Shigaraki wasn't guarding and do some actual damage to the "real body" instead of the flesh whips.
  • I don't think Bakugo exploded his heart. Shigaraki dealt a fatal wound to his heart. At the bottom of page 12 you can tell that the torso is upside-down, and on the next page Shigaraki is striking exactly the center of Bakugo's torso where his heart would be.

edit: Now that I've used the term "flesh whips" it suddenly becomes apparent to me that this fight is reminding me a lot of how Demon Slayer ended.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 7, 2022

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
This is just Hori getting revenge for Bakugou constantly winning the popularity polls over characters he likes better. Shoto dies next week.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think Bakugo exploded his heart. Shigaraki dealt a fatal wound to his heart. At the bottom of page 12 you can tell that the torso is upside-down, and on the next page Shigaraki is striking exactly the center of Bakugo's torso where his heart would be.

Is that what is happening? It's not the first time, but I really can't tell what is meant to be happening in that panel.

The worst part of this chapter to me is that, on page 10, he's just did a digital zoom in on shigaraki's eye. Garbage line quality and resolution as a result, just awful.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

The worst part of this chapter to me is that, on page 10, he's just did a digital zoom in on shigaraki's eye. Garbage line quality and resolution as a result, just awful.

One Punch Man does that poo poo all the time and it slaps.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

don't really even understand the point of spending 2-3 weeks on the big three. like we could've skipped to this right after bakugo's big item use without changing...anything else?

e: like obviously they could leap into action here now, it's just such tedious throat-clearing the way it's been structured the last few weeks

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 7, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So I still need to catch up on the last few months but I heard the spoilers for this chapter and had to see and lol lmao

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't believe Bakugo is loving dead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Is that what is happening? It's not the first time, but I really can't tell what is meant to be happening in that panel.

Page 13 is hard to parse. In the leadup to it, Bakugo is using Explosion to basically flash-step around Shigaraki and try to sucker-punch him (more or less). Shigaraki is too fast for even that, and he's really pissed off, so he's winding up to strike Bakugo directly and kill him.

On 13 you can see that everyone else involved in the fight is leaping to Bakugo's defense. Mirko and Mirio are trying to deflect Shigaraki's strike. There are metal cables wrapping around Bakugo's leg and Shigaraki's arm -- this is Best Jeanist trying to, at the same time, yank Bakugo away and restrain Shigaraki's arm. I can't see what Tamaki and Nejire are actually *doing*.

You can see Shigaraki's flesh arm, but there's also spikes as Shigaraki is trying to counter-deflect everyone else on panel. These spikes are hiding what Tamaki and Nejire are doing. Mirio is phasing through another spike.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't particularly have a problem with doing this- but this seems really, really stupid with the timing of it. If you're gonna do this to the most popular character and presumably have it stick, you might wanna save this for the actual end end and not do it before you inevitably cut away to like 3-4 other fights.

I was thinking we were going to establish "Yeah they're definitely not beating Tomura on their own. The injuries are stacking up and the clock is ticking", then cut away. But you're doing this now??? If we cut back to say, where Endeavor is and AFO's gambit worked out and it was just a total party wipe there, that's already had the wind completely taken out of it because you offed *the most popular character* right before it!

I can't even come up with a decent analogy of it. I guess it'd be if Freiza blew Krillin up when it was just him, Vegeta, and Gohan.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
How's the paneling on page two supposed to work? Top-bottom-middle? Because that's the way it seems to make sense, but there's no indication until you've actually read them. It's completely unnatural. If it's top-middle-bottom then the pause in Suneater's inner monologue is weird, as is cutting to him between him firing and the beam hitting Shiggy's hands.

Why does it look like Mirio's bleeding when Shiggy's counterattacking after the plasma cannon?

Also explosions is misspelled as explotions in the exposition.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
explosition

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
All Might was right, team work won’t cut it against a powerful enough opponent, gotta concentrate the power in one set of hands who can do this without dying.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Seeing a bunch of super popular characters all putting their life on the line, in a story built around self-sacrifice being the key that allows someone to make a change, and it being met with the villain just truly shrugging it off over and over and over just sucks.

Like this would be like if when Mirio lost his quirk against Overhaul, he tried to fight back and Overhaul just stabbed his heart and laughed as the light faded out of his eyes.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Woozie66 posted:

Seeing a bunch of super popular characters all putting their life on the line, in a story built around self-sacrifice being the key that allows someone to make a change, and it being met with the villain just truly shrugging it off over and over and over just sucks.

Extra sucks because there's very easy routes for both AFO (huge comic book nerd) and Shigaraki (gamer who loves fighting) to be enjoying this fight and selling it for the reader, and instead AFOgaraki is telling us it sucks and we should be bored. I don't think it's inconsistent at all for AFO to be like "haha yes, achieve your true power, this is very cool comic book fighting and beating you while you are at true shonen max strength only further confirms me as the ultimate demon lord", but instead he's just complaining about how boring and stupid it is.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gently caress

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Valentin posted:

Extra sucks because there's very easy routes for both AFO (huge comic book nerd) and Shigaraki (gamer who loves fighting) to be enjoying this fight and selling it for the reader, and instead AFOgaraki is telling us it sucks and we should be bored. I don't think it's inconsistent at all for AFO to be like "haha yes, achieve your true power, this is very cool comic book fighting and beating you while you are at true shonen max strength only further confirms me as the ultimate demon lord", but instead he's just complaining about how boring and stupid it is.

Yup!! Could've also had some kind of plot contrivance where they're going all out to remove/disable quirks from AFO or something. That way they're actually doing lasting damage and wearing him down, while still acknowledging they can't really hurt him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Woozie66 posted:

Like this would be like if when Mirio lost his quirk against Overhaul, he tried to fight back and Overhaul just stabbed his heart and laughed as the light faded out of his eyes.
Well, you see both sides of that with Mirio and Nighteye. Mirio refuses to give up and charges in despite having lost his quirk and survives despite neigh impossible odds, Nighteye resigns himself to death because of his vision but charges in anyway to meet it. Nighteye I think sort of admits himself in his deathbed speech that his vision could've been changed. We'll see if that's revisited.

Valentin posted:

AFO becoming a petulant baby when he actually meets with real resistance seems on point for him. Tomura "plus-ultra"-ing like the heroes do when faced with this stuff is how they differ- his fights with Gigantomachia and Redestro show this. AFO gets pissy when things don't go to plan.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 7, 2022

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Well, you see both sides of that with Mirio and Nighteye. Mirio refuses to give up and charges in despite having lost his quirk and survives despite neigh impossible odds, Nighteye resigns himself to death because of his vision but charges in anyway to meet it. Nighteye I think sort of admits himself in his deathbed speech that his vision could've been changed. We'll see if that's revisited.

Yeah, but Nighteye lives to see that part. If Bakugo truly dies right here, then that's that and there's no final peace.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Also, when Shiggy is panicking, on page 10, is that a glimpse of the second OFA user?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Woozie66 posted:

Yup!! Could've also had some kind of plot contrivance where they're going all out to remove/disable quirks from AFO or something. That way they're actually doing lasting damage and wearing him down, while still acknowledging they can't really hurt him.

I remember the anime ending of Soul Eater involving Kid and Black Star using their best and strongest moves from parts the manga hadn't shown yet to whittle Asura down from his monstrous form to the bishie form he started off in for Maka to take on. That could've easily been what happened here, but instead we're doing the usual shonen thing of "the villain doesn't start trying until the hero shows up".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Woozie66 posted:

Yeah, but Nighteye lives to see that part. If Bakugo truly dies right here, then that's that and there's no final peace.
This could be easily done with more maudlin force ghost poo poo but I'd find it stupid myself. The force ghost stuff is long since explained for AFO/OFA and has been used fine there, but while I feel like in-universe it could just be a thing just dropping it in there so we can go the time-dilation ghost conversation zone for everyone else is stupid.

Especially if they reference the second movie to justify it. I believe all the movies are supposed to be shoehorned into the canon but I hate anything where LNs and movies and poo poo like that need to be consumed to understand the main series. It's like people who used to get mad about people saying the SW prequels were stupid because "All of that's explained in these books/comics/cartoons!".

Oh god, this is like Star Wars

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 7, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I patiently waited for an official release despite this thread exploding and now that I can finally read the chapter, all I can say is:

lol. lmao, even.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, I don't really care right now about MHA, but I got a funny bit with this chapter. Four days ago I was checking some 18+ twitter accounts and saw Bakugo's mom in a 18+ situation with text boxes alluding to having to make a new one anyway. I was very confused and read the comments where folk clarify how hard he gets it in the chapter. So that was the most interesting way I got spoiled on something.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Woozie66 posted:

Also, when Shiggy is panicking, on page 10, is that a glimpse of the second OFA user?

It really appears to be some kind of Naruto, so maybe.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Rest in piss

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol, there's a break next week. Enjoy, everyone!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I want to say this chapter is a breakpoint for a volume too, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
one character is getting a break forever now