Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

skasion posted:

The very end of HL2 is so bad I’m amazed fans didn’t riot. There’s no boss fight, no closure, you don’t even get to kill Breen, G-man literally just pops up and says “that’s all folks”. Then people had to wait like 18 months so episode 1 could come out and immediately retcon it.

Between that and Halo 2, it was a rough year for FPS campaign endings.

I have more fun playing the HL2 ending than I do fighting Nihilanth at the end of HL1, and both require you to dunk on a glowing orb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

skasion posted:

The citadel itself is fine, certainly better than most of the game. it’s the literal end that sucks, the last…ten minutes or whatever. You finally catch up to Breen after he’s been taunting you all the way, and then he just leaves sight unseen and you shoot two gunships and do a wacky physics puzzle to blow up the citadel and, implicitly, the entire town in your own face. (And Alyx’s lol)

He doesn't leave, you blow him up. That's the whole point of that sequence, stopping him from leaving.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

He doesn't leave, you blow him up. That's the whole point of that sequence, stopping him from leaving.

you can’t expect people who don’t like HL2 to have basic comprehension skills

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Finally finished Doom 1 this morning. Limbo wasn't as bad as I was led to believe, and the final level was :laffo:. I technically still have episode 4 to play, but I consider having knocked out the original three episodes as having finished the game. I know there's not really a sort of specific canon or order to playing these, but it's weird and funny to me that I first encountered Doom with the shareware installed on my cousin's PC before getting lent a :files: copy of Doom 2 and then getting Quake 2 and 3 as a teenager and ultimately not actually playing Doom 1 and Quake 1 in their entirety until they did remasters/modern ports when I was an adult.

It's interesting to me that a lot of the stuff surrounding Doom in the larger videogame culture as well as the future Doom sequels (mainly the super shotgun and expanded enemy roster) all came from Doom 2.

To keep on the topic of Half-Life chat, one thing I remember being annoyed with re: HL2 compared to 1 was how much less ammo you could carry around. I have much fonder memories of HL1 probably because I played it more, along with the amazing mod scene that popped up around. I played and beat HL2 once and never even got around to the episodes because at the time I was waiting for episode 3 to come out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I have more fun playing the HL2 ending than I do fighting Nihilanth at the end of HL1, and both require you to dunk on a glowing orb!

Nihilanth is just an absolute garbage final boss, so that's not saying much. (I actually enjoyed the final showdown in HL2, though.)

As for the HL2 weapons, though, they're a huge disappointment. The revolver is great (but you can only carry like a dozen rounds for it) and the gravity gun is a delight, but the pistol, shotgun, SMG, crossbow, and RPG are all "we took a weapon from HL1, reduced the ammo limits significantly, and made the gunfeel worse"', and the EMG gets by entirely on its disintegration orb alt-fire, which is hard to find ammo for. And that's the whole arsenal! HL2 really does feel like they cut out all the weird and interesting weapons from HL1 (like the snarks, laser tripmines, acid fish, shockroach, displacer, detpacks, hivehand, and tau cannon) and then hit everything else with the boring brush.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ToxicFrog posted:

As for the HL2 weapons, though, they're a huge disappointment. The revolver is great (but you can only carry like a dozen rounds for it) and the gravity gun is a delight, but the pistol, shotgun, SMG, crossbow, and RPG are all "we took a weapon from HL1, reduced the ammo limits significantly, and made the gunfeel worse"', and the EMG gets by entirely on its disintegration orb alt-fire, which is hard to find ammo for. And that's the whole arsenal! HL2 really does feel like they cut out all the weird and interesting weapons from HL1 (like the snarks, laser tripmines, acid fish, shockroach, displacer, detpacks, hivehand, and tau cannon) and then hit everything else with the boring brush.

I can't miss an opportunity to Kramer in and rant about HL2's godawful uninspired arsenal. It's interesting because the shotgun, revolver, crossbow, and pulse rifle are all arguably satisfying to use...but the overall arsenal is slim and rote and uninspired. And I refuse to get over that SMG: It looks loving stupid, it sounds like pellet gun, and nothing about the model explains how it would even work.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like the big change in setting. The Combine are great antagonists.

The Combine ARE great antagonists--I can definitely agree with that. It's just a shame that 95% of the game is spent fighting soldiers and not combine monstrosities or escaped flora & fauna from when the heavens opened up and farted a trillion alien creatures onto the planet.

Like the arsenal, Half-life 2's bestiary shows a complete lack of imagination. They took a hatchet to most of the original game's enemies but kept barnacles? Fuckin barnacles?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

UnknownMercenary posted:

I technically still have episode 4 to play, but I consider having knocked out the original three episodes as having finished the game.
You definitely finished DOOM (1993), but not the Ultimate DOOM. Keep in mind they released console ports for years after that still only featured the first three episodes (and often truncated version of the levels).

UnknownMercenary posted:

I know there's not really a sort of specific canon or order to playing these, but it's weird and funny to me that I first encountered Doom with the shareware installed on my cousin's PC before getting lent a :files: copy of Doom 2 and then getting Quake 2 and 3 as a teenager and ultimately not actually playing Doom 1 and Quake 1 in their entirety until they did remasters/modern ports when I was an adult.

It's interesting to me that a lot of the stuff surrounding Doom in the larger videogame culture as well as the future Doom sequels (mainly the super shotgun and expanded enemy roster) all came from Doom 2.
I don't think either of these things is unusual. DOOM II came out in stores only 11 months after the original shareware release of DOOM, so many folks encountered and played Knee Deep in the Dead followed by DOOM II. That's certainly how I did.

To play the Shores of Hell/Inferno you had to purchase the mail-order version of DOOM (or pirate it). I'm sure the mail-order ("registered") release of DOOM sold fantastically well for an independently published game in the early 90s, but it still didn't sell nearly as well as the retail release of DOOM II did. Which is why they finally did a retail release of the Ultimate DOOM in 1995.

As far as the order to play them today, I think chronological release order makes sense. So DOOM episodes 1-3, DOOM II, Thy Flesh Consumed, then follow up with the Master Levels or Final DOOM if you want.

Playing them in this order you really see the skills of the mappers develop as they had more time with the game. By the time of Thy Flesh Consumed there was an active community mapping scene and the levels of that episode reflect that. Definitely play it through, I think it has some of Romero's best work in E4M1, E4M2, and especially E4M6.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 7, 2022

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah the MP5 + grenade launcher combo looks goofy but IIRC it's based on an actual movie prop.

The HL2 SMG makes no sense. Where the gently caress is the grenade even coming from?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Definitely don’t skip Thy Flesh Consumed. I think it’s great.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Definitely don’t skip Thy Flesh Consumed. I think it’s great.

Perfect Hatred is such an amazing map still, and was really crazy to me back when it first released.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You definitely finished DOOM (1993), but not the Ultimate DOOM. Keep in mind they released console ports for years after that still only featured the first three episodes (and often truncated version of the levels).

I don't think either of these things is unusual. DOOM II came out in stores only 11 months after the original shareware release of DOOM, so many folks encountered and played Knee Deep in the Dead followed by DOOM II. That's certainly how I did.

To play the Shores of Hell/Inferno you had to purchase the mail-order version of DOOM (or pirate it). I'm sure the mail-order ("registered") release of DOOM sold fantastically well for an independently published game in the early 90s, but it still didn't sell nearly as well as the retail release of DOOM II did. Which is why they finally did a retail release of the Ultimate DOOM in 1995.

As far as the order to play them today, I think chronological release order makes sense. So DOOM episodes 1-3, DOOM II, Thy Flesh Consumed, then follow up with the Master Levels or Final DOOM if you want.

Playing them in this order you really see the skills of the mappers develop as they had more time with the game. By the time of Thy Flesh Consumed there was an active community mapping scene and the levels of that episode reflect that. Definitely play it through, I think it has some of Romero's best work in E4M1, E4M2, and especially E4M6.

E4M1 isn't Romero. How dare you.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you can’t expect people who don’t like HL2 to have basic comprehension skills

If they want you to know the plot, there's a way to do that: a screen of text.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Definitely play it through, I think it has some of Romero's best work in E4M1, E4M2, and especially E4M6.

E4M1 is American McGee but it does indeed own

e: f; b

to add some actual content; after E4, skip TNT and the Master Levels, but absolutely play Plutonia (with PLUTMIDI.WAD) though

Voodoo Cafe fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 7, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Voodoo Cafe posted:

E4M1 is American McGee but it does indeed own

e: f; b

to add some actual content; after E4, skip TNT and the Master Levels, but absolutely play Plutonia (with PLUTMIDI.WAD) though

sincerely thanks I'm guiding someone through playing final doom right now but i'd unironically forgotten about plutmidi

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Shadow Hog posted:

Not gonna let these pass without defense - the RTX is far and away the most interesting thing about Quake II to me in 2022, and leaving it out of any console remaster (Switch excepted for obvious reasons) would be a goddamn waste. Setting the skybox time-of-day emulation to real-time x12 and then seeing the sun rise and set on Stroggos while I went around fragging was the closest I've felt to a "now THIS is next-generation" experience since the 3DS came out; even the literal next-generation of consoles that came out after it didn't evoke that feeling from me. Q2RTX and Minecraft's raytracing have made me a believer in the feature in a way that pretty much no other implementation has (everything else uses it for reflections or subtle lighting/shadow tweaks, which is good but not revelatory), and it's a shame to me that Nvidia's "let's take old games with basic graphics by today's standards and jazz them up by making their renders work solely with real-time path-tracing" program seems to have completely stopped with those two titles.

Preach! Q2 RTX owns.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I still wouldn’t play it that way but that shot is kinda cool. As a curiosity.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 7, 2022

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Ugly!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That looks so bad imo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That looks so bad imo

it looks like a diorama of the corridor which is neat but not what i'd expect a video game to look like?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Arivia posted:

it looks like a diorama of the corridor which is neat but not what i'd expect a video game to look like?

Some kind of tilt shift mod that makes everything look like little dioramas would be pretty cool for early 3D shooters. Like the Link’s Awakening remake.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I realized I had some saved up points/coins on my Nintendo account, and now I own Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Doom 64, and Quake on my Nintendo Switch. I love how these games look/feel on my TV, but having them be handheld is also pretty drat dope! Gyro aiming is the poo poo.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My daughter is actually just getting into Doom (after watching me play it modded to the eyeballs) so this is actually pretty helpful advice! I never really played Doom 1 apart from the shareware episode and didn't get into Doom 2 until 2010 or so.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

chaosapiant posted:

I realized I had some saved up points/coins on my Nintendo account, and now I own Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Doom 64, and Quake on my Nintendo Switch. I love how these games look/feel on my TV, but having them be handheld is also pretty drat dope! Gyro aiming is the poo poo.

They’re all great ports. I’ve spent the most time playing them on Switch than all the previous versions I’ve played combined.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love all the fps games on switch. I’m playing doom 64 right now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just have Doom Eternal to get, and then I'll have every doom available on Switch.

Nintendo Switch: Truly a Doomed console.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just have Doom Eternal to get, and then I'll have every doom available on Switch.
It's "lowest price ever" on sale right now for another eight hours. That said I drew the line on it and DOOM Eternal is exclusively a Steam game for me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's "lowest price ever" on sale right now for another eight hours. That said I drew the line on it and DOOM Eternal is exclusively a Steam game for me.

Switch is the most powerful thing I own so I got it on there and while it’s an amazing port that’s very playable, yeah, play it on something else if you have the means available to you.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 8, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I played Doom Eternal on my desktop that turns 11 years old this year (well, plus a 1060) and it ran incredibly well at 1440p, looked amazing.

It puts up a solid >60fps on AMD GPUs from 2012, if you've got anything newer you are golden.

https://www.techspot.com/article/2001-doom-eternal-older-gpu-test/

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Twerk from Home posted:

I played Doom Eternal on my desktop that turns 11 years old this year (well, plus a 1060) and it ran incredibly well at 1440p, looked amazing.

It puts up a solid >60fps on AMD GPUs from 2012, if you've got anything newer you are golden.

I'm still running a late 2012 iMac that I updated to 12.0 with open core patcher. It's remarkable how well it works as an every day computer still but not games-wise anything semi-demanding past 2014.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This is me. Both Doom 2016 and Eternal look and feel too drat good on my desktop PC to worry about the Switch version. But having the older games on there is brilliant.

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.
Welp, I finally did it. I started DUSK.

I played Amid Evil a long time ago and enjoyed my time with it quite a bit. I have kept DOOM and its various mods on my computer but just now played DUSK. I don't have the time to really play more than a few levels at a time, but when I was at the end of episode one, I felt like it was solid, but not better than Amid Evil. I knew everyone said it gets better in the later episodes but I wasn't holding my breath for a revelation. That revelation came with the Escher Labs. Fantastic. Absolutely, mind bendingly fantastic. This game is incredible. So... thanks for the repeated suggestions in this thread to give it a go!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Bishopvi posted:

Welp, I finally did it. I started DUSK.

I played Amid Evil a long time ago and enjoyed my time with it quite a bit. I have kept DOOM and its various mods on my computer but just now played DUSK. I don't have the time to really play more than a few levels at a time, but when I was at the end of episode one, I felt like it was solid, but not better than Amid Evil. I knew everyone said it gets better in the later episodes but I wasn't holding my breath for a revelation. That revelation came with the Escher Labs. Fantastic. Absolutely, mind bendingly fantastic. This game is incredible. So... thanks for the repeated suggestions in this thread to give it a go!

Set the pallette to dusk boy color

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

dusk is absurdly good and if you haven't played it you really need to

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

so far the only of the new crop of boomer shooters that remotely compares to how fun dusk is to play is ULTRAKILL and that's still stuck in early access for ages

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

An Actual Princess posted:

so far the only of the new crop of boomer shooters that remotely compares to how fun dusk is to play is ULTRAKILL and that's still stuck in early access for ages
A big new chunk of ULTRAKILL should be landing next Tuesday.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Console cert went out the window with cyberpunk

It may have been completely broken, but at least it called the buttons by the right names.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Twerk from Home posted:

I had a similar experience with my old Phenom II X4 build and Doom 2016 after dropping a GTX1660 in it. The only reason I couldn't run Eternal on the same CPU was apparently some odd feature that just didn't exist yet in 2010 or whenever I got it. I get the sense these games just don't do much of anything on the CPU. Probably why their Switch ports actually work well.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Half life 2 would be better if I could skip the entire intro parts. Let me start from when I first get a gun.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Overbite posted:

Half life 2 would be better if I could skip the falling into the water with the big fish part

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Overbite posted:

Half life 2 would be better if I could skip the entire intro parts. Let me start from when I first get a gun.

You can? Just start from chapter 3