Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

This just reminded me of the white nationalist group who wanted to establish a settlement on the Namibian coast a few years ago.

Yes go settle a 100% uninhabitable desert region in a country led by someone who bases his political mythology entirely on fighting people like you in the 90s, very good plan.

It is a great plan and I wish more would follow in their footsteps so they would stop bothering everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Guavanaut posted:

This just reminded me of the white nationalist group who wanted to establish a settlement on the Namibian coast a few years ago.

Yes go settle a 100% uninhabitable desert region in a country led by someone who bases his political mythology entirely on fighting people like you in the 90s, very good plan.
You cant say this and not give any more information/links.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was Stormfront circa 2014 according to an archive of an article mocking them but I also remember it echoing on 8chan a few years later where they wanted to colonize the 'uninhabited' and therefore free southern Namibian seaboard.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There's a reason it's - you know what, forget it. Go right ahead. I'm sure it'll work out just as well as Operation Red Dog back in the day.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, when the region called the Skeleton Coast is the most inhabitable part of the Namibian coastline, I can be pretty sure things aren't going to go well anywhere in that whole region.

I guess it's a more practical stupid idea than the Bir Tawil triangle, or those floating cities in international waters that unhinged libertarians have fever dreams about.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol Skeleton Coast is a metal af name, I wonder if there are more geographical features out there that sound like they're from a D&D module

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Phlegmish posted:

lol Skeleton Coast is a metal af name, I wonder if there are more geographical features out there that sound like they're from a D&D module

It’s indigenous name is “the land god made in anger”

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:vince:

That owns. Although it does make me kind of sad to think of what happened to the San natives of the region, and how they've been marginalized, between European colonization and Bantu migrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No but see those people only keep away from the coast because they were told to by their government, who they believe because they are weak. Once the settling (real white) people make land the Boer resistance will drive up from Strandfontein in their bakkies to deliver supplies to hold the beachhead that can't even sustain livestock or potatoes or drinking water, right until the special thing happens.

Spoiler: The special thing is death by dehydration. Bring a beach towel!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Forever lmaoing at the Republic of Minerva. White people tried to settle on a lovely atoll, King of Tonga personally led the raid to kick them off.

quote:

PROCLAMATION

His Majesty King Taufaʻahau Tupou IV in Council DOES HEREBY PROCLAIM:
WHEREAS the Reefs known as North Minerva Reef and South Minerva Reef have long served as fishing grounds for the Tongan people and have long been regarded as belonging to the Kingdom of Tonga has now created on these Reefs islands known as Teleki Tokelau and Teleki Tonga; AND WHEREAS it is expedient that we should now confirm the rights of the Kingdom of Tonga to these islands; THEREFORE we do hereby AFFIRM and PROCLAIM that the islands, rocks, reefs, foreshores and waters lying within a radius of twelve miles [19.31 km] thereof are part of our Kingdom of Tonga

Behold the Republic of the Future, Minerva

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 7, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

need an irredentist tongan map. greater tonga, from auckland to honolulu

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I always forget how few people live in Australia. This is over 10 years old though so obviously the numbers have gone up.

I’m Darwin.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

The Vietnamese hatred of the Chinese trumps any lingering ill-will to the USA.

#1 is China, #2 is France iirc.

The US showed up for the South Vietnamese and then left, but China's always been around starting poo poo or waiting to start poo poo. France was their colonial occupier so the disdain is obvious there.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think i even invaded vietnam in a dynasty warriors stage

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Red is more than half of Canada

France is also pretty askew compared to neighbours. 20% of the country is Paris, which this map does not quite convey.

Why is France so spread out compared to the lowlands?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they've pretty much always been that way

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-the-Netherlands-and-Belgium-so-populated-for-their-sizes

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Saladman posted:

Yeah, when the region called the Skeleton Coast is the most inhabitable part of the Namibian coastline, I can be pretty sure things aren't going to go well anywhere in that whole region.

I guess it's a more practical stupid idea than the Bir Tawil triangle, or those floating cities in international waters that unhinged libertarians have fever dreams about.

China Mieville wrote that amazing article about the hollowness of libertarian fever dreams: they are petit bourgeois, and all their dreams ultimately amount to becoming the grand bourgeois. Even in their wildest imaginations all they can think of is to recreate the state with themselves at the center.

I remember in one of those floating paradise movements they became bogged down debating how the guest worker program would handle visas for maids and construction workers.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 7, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arglebargle III posted:

China Mieville wrote that amazing article about the hollowness of libertarian fever dreams: they are petit bourgeois, and all their dreams ultimately amount to becoming the grand bourgeois. Even in their wildest imaginations all they can think of is to recreate the state with themselves at the center.

This also describes China Mieville.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that gradient

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_jokes#Estonians_and_Finns

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Turkish ice cream man makes me angry, too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Now I'm picturing Turkey as black-and-white informercial land, and it's so hot this summer, and everyone just wants their drat ice cream, the kids are all screaming- but goddam that slapstick ice cream man won't quit the act and do his drat job

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
That's pretty drat bad, and crazy in Turkey, though perhaps not as bad as how I first read it (danger).

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
The deserts of Namibia has one thing going for them, being home to the worlds most awesome plant ever and last of its kind (to good for this world), Welwitschia mirabilis.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's an odd question. Do you think it's translated? The low percentages have to have understood it better.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jippa posted:

It's an odd question. Do you think it's translated? The low percentages have to have understood it better.

Depending on the specific word chosen for each language the connotation may have ranged from "annoyance" to "rage/wrath"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Depending on the specific word chosen for each language the connotation may have ranged from "annoyance" to "rage/wrath"

The Finnish word means both anger and hate.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I assumed they just used the Finnish word for "an emotion"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The translation of "a lot" might also matter. Hell, maybe even "day previous to survey", if someone accidentally changed it to days.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I assumed they just used the Finnish word for "an emotion"

Oh like a poopneed?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Combo map of how hot or capitalistic your country is. (Except for Portugal where all drugs are decriminalized)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's pretty drat bad, and crazy in Turkey, though perhaps not as bad as how I first read it (danger).

I can’t imagine being angry in a country where cats are just chilling everywhere you go

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Unless you know they used "viha" in the Finnish translation, the survey could and should have used "suuttumus" instead which is much less ambiguous. Or else reword it as "Koitko olevasi vihainen..."

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
does finnish have an equivalent to the académie française

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I can’t imagine being angry in a country where cats are just chilling everywhere you go
Maybe they interviewed the cats too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is it just me or is the resolution too low to read?

Would love more maps like this though, especially ones that show hypothesized migration routes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Count Roland posted:

Is it just me or is the resolution too low to read?

Would love more maps like this though, especially ones that show hypothesized migration routes.
I had to open it in a new tab twice then could zoom in and actually read poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tree Goat posted:

does finnish have an equivalent to the académie française

Yes but because we're Finnish we call it Language Office and it's staffed by anodyne civil servants