Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I actually knew what a Nebuchadnezzar was before that episode because a friend works with wine and got gifted a few magnums (a mere 1.5 liters) and we decided to look up the biggest wine bottle sizes. Anyways my answer is I can drink a bit over 1/10 of a Nebuchadnezzar in a day. Huge wine fan. Don't drink it, just like being around it. Study it. Appreciate it. Drink it sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
To be fair, OP didn't specify what the nebuchadnezzar was filled with. You fill that baby with pespi and I could probably drink three, four of them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Do you have any idea how much caffeine that would be? Each 15 liter bottle would be 2g of caffeine, 5-10g is considered lethal.

135mg per liter was used in this math.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I kind of just posted that without thinking about how big one of those are.

Also the best Season 1 episode is evil Barry because of the callback in a later episode.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

pixaal posted:

Do you have any idea how much caffeine that would be? Each 15 liter bottle would be 2g of caffeine, 5-10g is considered lethal.

135mg per liter was used in this math.

Vitamin C may counteract the effects of caffeine, so if I eat a peach or something it'll let the caffeine pass through my body harmlessly. An old Trucker trick.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
What was it the poets have said about Pepsi?

-burp/pukes-

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

To be fair, OP didn't specify what the nebuchadnezzar was filled with. You fill that baby with pespi and I could probably drink three, four of them.

Orange soda. Francine’ll just down in in a second.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

drat, season 1 had some gems but for my money it has to be Tears of a Clooney. That action sequence between Stan and Francine was goddamn epic. Also I just love the portrayal of Francine's unquenchable hatred for Clooney, "...he just does the same cheesy move every time. Looks down, then looks back up squinting underneath his eyebrows AND EVERYBODY'S BUYING IT."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Neeksy posted:

I think back to when when the show was first airing, seeing the start of the golden turd saga is what made me realize this show had something going for it.

I love the golden turd saga so very, very much. I wish I could remember which episode/plotline got me hooked on the show -- it feels like I've just always liked it, even though I'm pretty sure that couldn't possibly be the case.

The_Doctor posted:

Orange soda. Francine’ll just down in in a second.

Freaks people out. :smug:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

What got me liking American Dad wasn't the show it was other people sharing clips of good parts and me realizing it wasn't just lovely 9/11 Family Guy that should have been axed when Family Guy was renewed. Which is what I'd always assumed it was prior. I think you have to get past the Family Guy problem. Is there even much overlap between Family Guy and American Dad fanbases?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think the first Bullock episode is what caught my attention.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

pixaal posted:

What got me liking American Dad wasn't the show it was other people sharing clips of good parts and me realizing it wasn't just lovely 9/11 Family Guy that should have been axed when Family Guy was renewed. Which is what I'd always assumed it was prior. I think you have to get past the Family Guy problem. Is there even much overlap between Family Guy and American Dad fanbases?

I definitely feel like there are a number of episodes from the earlier season(s) that were angling for that sort of "9/11 Patriotic Family Guy Never Forget" (i.e. Stan of Arabia, a Smith in the Hand, Deacon Stan Jesus Man, Homeland Security, Stannie Get Your Gun, etc.) but, rather than continuing to lean hard on that tired dynamic, they decided to get real weird with it--and the show is obviously all the better for it.

It's honestly one of the few shows I can think of that's gotten better for me in subsequent seasons, rather than falling into a tired rut and becoming a shambling corpse of a show.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Neeksy posted:

I have to give it to Clooney. That episode is magically deranged and a sign that even in the early seasons it had great ideas going in it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wait, what?

Shell Game is the best season 13 episode.

Shell game is good but Death by Dinner Party or My Purity Ball and Chain are just as good

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I definitely feel like there are a number of episodes from the earlier season(s) that were angling for that sort of "9/11 Patriotic Family Guy Never Forget" (i.e. Stan of Arabia, a Smith in the Hand, Deacon Stan Jesus Man, Homeland Security, Stannie Get Your Gun, etc.) but, rather than continuing to lean hard on that tired dynamic, they decided to get real weird with it--and the show is obviously all the better for it.

It's honestly one of the few shows I can think of that's gotten better for me in subsequent seasons, rather than falling into a tired rut and becoming a shambling corpse of a show.

My understanding of the situation is that Seth was the one who wanted to do political stories but basically had to take a back seat after the first season due to Family Guy being unexpectedly revived.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Socially conservative & patriotic Stan is funny without having to be outright Republican. Also, giving him a hosed up childhood gave him another non-political personality facet that helped for sure.

quote:

Yeah, I know I've said it before, but having a show where a lot of my favorite episodes are in double digit shows feels weird as hell.

RC Cola posted:

Shell game is good but Death by Dinner Party or My Purity Ball and Chain are just as good

Death by Dinner Party maybe, but My Purity Ball & Chain? Eeeeeeeehhhh I definitely do like it a lot, but not nearly as much as Shell Game or Death by Dinner Party.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Purity Ball and Chain has some great jokes but it's something of an uncomfortable watch, imo.

I love that bit where all those swords make a little outline of Stan through the door

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Wait actually flavor town. I'll go watch shell game right now and then flavor town and report back

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

S1E4 is where the show really revealed its full potential for the first time IMO, you've got Roger's first persona, Francine and Jeff going on weird adventures, Bullock letting Stan own himself, Klaus' scat fetish...

In retrospect it's amazing they had all the pieces so early

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I saw Blonde Ambition for the first time and dumb that’s a weird episode.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I didn't realize for a while that my favorite AD scene was so early in the show until I rewatched s1 and 2.

Jordan, no!

sbaldrick posted:

I saw Blonde Ambition for the first time and dumb that’s a weird episode.

From this to Seizure Suit Stan would be my pick for the lowest point of the show but drat did they come back.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I forgot how good the Italian sub plot of shell game is

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Also was shocking to realize how late Rusty was introduced, There Will Be Bad Blood felt like it should've been an S1 episode

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

FireWorksWell posted:

From this to Seizure Suit Stan would be my pick for the lowest point of the show but drat did they come back.

It seems like American Fung is so awful that people forget how lovely Seizures Suit Stanny is. I didn't forget though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I'd much rather watch AF, yeah. It at least made me grin a couple times.

"You didn't have to dry hump our mailbox."

"Yeah, you go out there and tell me it's dry."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

I'd much rather watch AF, yeah. It at least made me grin a couple times.

"You didn't have to dry hump our mailbox."

"Yeah, you go out there and tell me it's dry."

Yeah I dislike that episode overall but a few bits, like where Stan realizes he has to serve up a distraction for Francine's hospital escape; he spots a pair of zonked-out-comatose patients dressed like the Blues Brothers: "Sorry pal, but I need that outfit more than you!" and punches the obviously smaller one in the face. "Hmmm yeah I don't think those clothes are gonna fit me...but you look more my size!" and flying-kicks the second guy in the head.

Then he immediately abandons the idea of wearing either of their suits.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 7, 2022

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Btw, today is the birthday of Dan Vebber, the writer of the American Dad Afterschool Special as well as AT the Abusive Terrestial. :toot:

Perhaps I'll rewatch them both to celebrate.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I really like the little grunt of effort Roger does when he pushes over the abusive kid's bike

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Btw, today is the birthday of Dan Vebber, the writer of the American Dad Afterschool Special as well as AT the Abusive Terrestial. :toot:

Perhaps I'll rewatch them both to celebrate.

Also the middle-earth obsessed terrorist!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Tear jerker is still amazing

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013
I know I am skipping ahead a few seasons but "School Lies" is the best of season 6

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

RC Cola posted:

The tour ends in my office?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

RC Cola posted:

"You're a lunatic with a madman's dream of a milk-proof robot!" is one of my favorite lines of the show, because it's just so completely insane yet makes complete sense in context.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

What's the episode where Stan has writing/tattoos all over his body reminding him how Steve has gone through a rite of passage and that Stan loves his family?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RC Cola posted:

What's the episode where Stan has writing/tattoos all over his body reminding him how Steve has gone through a rite of passage and that Stan loves his family?

That would be the 200th episode, "The 200"

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

That would be the 200th episode, "The 200"

No not that one. I can't tell if its a fever dream or not. I remember him at the kitchen table looking at what looks to be sharpie writing on his body that literally say the words "You love your family" "Steve has gone through his rite of passage" and things like that. Maybe it was just a great dream or something idk

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ok got it. Its "A Roger Story". It says things like "Beware The Impractical Jokers"
Specifically the end of the episode shows him old and shirtless with "Slot Cars", "In a different timeline , you have different tattoos", "Francine loves Muppet Treasure Island", "Steve is afraid of sharks again"

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 9, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

RC Cola posted:

No not that one. I can't tell if its a fever dream or not. I remember him at the kitchen table looking at what looks to be sharpie writing on his body that literally say the words "You love your family" "Steve has gone through his rite of passage" and things like that. Maybe it was just a great dream or something idk

It was the last season one where Francine agreees to spend eternity in hell and eliminates herself from peoples memories to save Steve and in the end Stan remembers who she is because he had something king about Francine tatoooed on him. It felt like a set up for a continuation episode but it didn’t happen and the episode also wasn’t great overall tbh

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Roger was excellent in that one, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I've built this large Plex library and I sleep with a collection of shows on shuffle at a low volume each night. Any way, the first time I saw "Rabbit Ears", it was after I woke up at 2 or 3 AM. What a perfect way to experience that episode for the first time.