Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Comedy is a spectrum but you might understand how a trait seen as a positive by some (funny/clever/witty) would be difficult to attach to a loathsome individual.

Yeah, you could say that the Gay Frogs diatribe is absurdist in the most Kaufmanesque way. But this is the same guy that says that Child Murder Spree #527 was a government plot employing actors and real-dolls when, you know, parents are out there getting harassed while they mourn their children.

Trump isn't funny, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

A bunch of posters with regdates from when SA was well within its "comedy forum ...
Personally, using the f-slur when explaining to everyone how we should lighten up like in the good (funny) days of 1999 undercuts your thesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

1) That wasn't very funny

2) yet again, it was literally at someone else's expense and making fun of the insane criminal accusations against her that he's been spouting for years.

That basically proved my point.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

mojo1701a posted:

Also, the only version of Dan and Jordan's interview on CNN that I can find so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byF1zoVcEZQ

This is the first time I’ve seen podcasters in something I listen to and they look exactly how I imagined they would.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

A bunch of posters with regdates from when SA was well within its "comedy forum where we find harmless weirdos and call them human being a lot" era now acting like they can't conceive of humor being morally neutral or deliberately deployed by a mean person, yeah creepy's a good word.

Beep boop the Trump unit has only offered an endorsement for "Eric", I believe this error will be corrected swiftly

Saying poo poo you really believe (or has the right vibe, like the Hillary demon stuff) in a funny way is a staple of goon humor, such as it is, and obviously a great posture for propagandists to take where they can always simultaneously be speaking God's truth and doing an absurdist bit and where they fall on that scale from moment to moment depends on how much the listener personally agrees with what they're saying right now.

Pretending you don't get that he's being funny by yelling about gay frogs or how Obama smells like farts from all the sulfur in Hell doesn't really do anything to rhetorically combat that, though, it just makes you the butt of the joke.

Maybe it’s a misalignment on what people mean by being funny on purpose, then. I could blow up in absurd rage at this post and shout “I’M THE BUTT OF THE JOKE?! SURE PAL, I’M THE BIGGEST BUTT AROUND, GET READY FOR SOME poo poo!” or “YEAH I’M THE BUTT, AND YOU’RE TRYING TO gently caress ME!” or whatever, and I might be having a little fun with it because shouting silly things is funny, but I’m not sure it would count as being funny on purpose. If that was a bad example because I wrote this post while eating sunflower seeds then just imagine something funny in all caps instead of what’s there.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Pennywise the Frown posted:

1) That wasn't very funny

2) yet again, it was literally at someone else's expense and making fun of the insane criminal accusations against her that he's been spouting for years.

That basically proved my point.

Also Trump didn’t write that. It’s a prepared speech. You’ve heard what he sounds like when he’s speaking off the cuff. Disjointed, rambling weirdo bullshit. Trump isn’t (intentionally) funny. Sure it’s funny when he wants to nuke hurricanes or stare into eclipses but it would make him very angry to know that people laughed at those things.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

Also, the only version of Dan and Jordan's interview on CNN that I can find so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byF1zoVcEZQ

Holy poo poo these guys suck

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Devils Affricate posted:

Holy poo poo these guys suck

you will not find many people agreeing with you in this thread

kf is so good, but perhaps the live interview format doesn't work for them as well, idk

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

my cat is norris posted:

you will not find many people agreeing with you in this thread

kf is so good, but perhaps the live interview format doesn't work for them as well, idk

nah Jordan sucks sorry Jordan fans

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Auyyyeayyyeah it’s a thing about AJ

YEEEAAAHHH

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

my cat is norris posted:

They were probably pretty hampered by not wanting to have too much fun at Alex's expense when this case is ultimately about getting justice for the families of murdered children. That's not really something you want to turn into a podcast ad when part of the issue is Alex turning dead kids into advertising. You could really see them actively avoiding opportunities to bring up wacky poo poo. Plus when you're going on for three hours in a podcast it's a lot easier to have enough "gently caress this guy and everything he stands for" to balance out all the making fun of Alex for saying he technically probably killed a guy.

Dan looked nervous as hell tho, I'm shocked he agreed to do it.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Jordan should be less shouty.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TheMightyBoops posted:

He can shout to high heaven for all I care, so long as he stops doing it over clips.

I generally think Jordan is pretty funny and he performs a good function, but him talking or screaming over the clips attacks the fundamental premise of the show cause I need to be able to hear what they're gonna discuss.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the key is to have a strong support network of sane people. Bad news about the 21st century tho.

Part of this I struggle with, buying into this stuff turns people so vile that the sane people nope out of their lives. I've just said gently caress it and ghosted a lot of folks that are into this stuff.

This is probably by design. I always thought the whole "the way to argue with liberals is to never give them an inch, never give up any points, never admit fault" was more of a trained indoctrination than an effective arguing method. Teach them to never listen to anyone but you.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SalTheBard posted:

So I was typing this out on my phone and deleted it, but now that I can type it on my computer here we go:

When 9/11 happened I was young Airman (I was 20 years old and had been in the military less than a year, I was still in school when it happened). I believed the official report, etc, etc, etc. Then sometime around 2005 I saw Loose Change, and a friend introduced me to InfoWars and then I went FULL 9/11 truther. I believed that Bush had orchestrated 9/11 to go to war, I thought he was going to declare martial law, you name it I thought it was going to happen. I listened to InfoWars as much as I could. About a year later I started listening to Air America Radio (Al Frankens "Liberal Talk radio station") and gradually shifted out of the full blown InfoWars conspiracy guy. I'm thankful that I had friends who were like "dude that is loving nuts you know that right?" and were able to kind of suck me out of the eco system. I totally understand how people fall down that rabbit hole though and I will be loving happy when that scourge goes off the air.

I forgot how many people got ensnared by Loose Change. I didn't realize at the time that it was a portent of things to come. The internet makes you stupid, but social media turned that dial to 11.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

vaginite posted:

Part of this I struggle with, buying into this stuff turns people so vile that the sane people nope out of their lives. I've just said gently caress it and ghosted a lot of folks that are into this stuff.

This is probably by design. I always thought the whole "the way to argue with liberals is to never give them an inch, never give up any points, never admit fault" was more of a trained indoctrination than an effective arguing method. Teach them to never listen to anyone but you.

This is absolutely right. It's the same thing with Jehovah's Witnesses/etc., the door to door proselytizing is meant more to solidify the proselytizer's bond with the organization, if they do get new members through it that's great but it's not the primary goal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

I listened to a few episodes the last few days, mostly depositions, and while they're doing some great work, I don't like Jordan (with the caveat that this is based on 4 or so episodes). He virtually never has anything interesting to add. If anything his comments are often dumb and out of place. Dan otoh is insightful all the time. Either succinctly explaining things, or giving thoughtful analysis. I mean even his jokes are better.

The podcast might not work as a one person endeavor, but I wish Jordan wasn't as obnoxious.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think Jones commented about the popularity he had with a more left-leaning audience several years ago and name dropped Google Video. Back in 2005-2008 or so Google Video offered up a simple 'download this video' option to quite a few videos. That bit of a wild west era had a LOT of fringe documentary stuff out there on the early days of streaming, too. I'm pretty sure that's where I first saw Alex Jones outside of Waking Life.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think Jones commented about the popularity he had with a more left-leaning audience several years ago and name dropped Google Video. Back in 2005-2008 or so Google Video offered up a simple 'download this video' option to quite a few videos. That bit of a wild west era had a LOT of fringe documentary stuff out there on the early days of streaming, too. I'm pretty sure that's where I first saw Alex Jones outside of Waking Life.

pretty sure that's how i first saw loose change (didn't watch the whole thing)

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
A weird thing about talking Alex Jones being funny is I am not sure he has ever genuinely laughed.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anything to look forward to tomorrow that is happening?
CT court should lift the stay, right?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Jordan gives Dan motivation to continue, probably, and that's all the stuff I need.

Also he's less yelly on the episodes that he takes the wheel.

But to be fair most of what Dan tells him warrants an 'endless screaming' feeling. Not that it makes for entertaining podcasts but: he's right, you know.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Stefan Prodan posted:

The time he mocked Rubio drinking water and then threw it over his shoulder was funny sorry

:agreed:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Deal w/ it nerd

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Jordan IS less shouty. He was slightly more unhinged in the first 200 episodes or so. I think they have a good balance now. Dan has the benefit of hearing everything ahead of time, researching and writing out his thoughts for us. Jordan is off the cuff. I don't think the show works without both and if you don't want to scream after hearing a lot of this stuff then idk.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Jordan is the id of the podcast and his emotional outbursts are both relatable and cathartic. Dan is great and does great things but kf would be way too dry without Jordan there getting all worked up.

They're both necessary and the kf falls apart when either of them isn't there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

They're both necessary and the kf falls apart when either of them isn't there.

Yep. Listen to a couple eps when Dan is on his own and you'll appreciate the necessity of their dynamic. It's real boring. They make an excellent team.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This doesn't change the fact that Jordan is pretty ignorant about a lot of stuff and sometimes needs to shut the gently caress up, but he's still integral and I wouldn't want the podcast without him.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

This doesn't change the fact that Jordan is pretty ignorant about a lot of stuff and sometimes needs to shut the gently caress up, but he's still integral and I wouldn't want the podcast without him.

Jordan is that one kid who would be way more awesome if he shut up time to time.

Fucker does own, just stop screeching so much.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Neo Rasa posted:

This is absolutely right. It's the same thing with Jehovah's Witnesses/etc., the door to door proselytizing is meant more to solidify the proselytizer's bond with the organization, if they do get new members through it that's great but it's not the primary goal.

I haven't gone door to door in two years and have done barely any witnessing in the same time period. Doesn't change my belief that Jehovah's Witnesses have the best understanding of the Bible among any religion. If you dismiss the Bible entirely that's a different thing.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. Listen to a couple eps when Dan is on his own and you'll appreciate the necessity of their dynamic. It's real boring. They make an excellent team.

Counterpoint: the episode that came out juuuust before this when Alex went on Steve Bannons show was solid and Dan kinda let loose for a bit, which was cool to see.

Countercounterpoint: I still missed Jordan.

Dan and Jordan to me are chocolate and peanuts. Simply dreamy when combined. Great individually when combined with other certain things; but not EVERYthing. And that’s fine. It ain’t for everyone.

There is a certain dynamic to KF and Dan and Jordan’s approach that works incredibly well with me as a listener. It kind of mirrors my feelings towards Alex Jones and conspiratorial beliefs as a whole: I want to dismantle them methodically and with an incredible amount of evidence and common sense. I also want to express my intense frustration, anger and flat out sheer exhaustion with them and I’m tired of having to :decorum:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Anywho, I’ve been wondering, what do we call the Alex Jones extended universe anyhow? Jonesverse, citizens of Jonestown, the GOP?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Jordan is Dan's Anger Translator.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

teen witch posted:

Anywho, I’ve been wondering, what do we call the Alex Jones extended universe anyhow? Jonesverse, citizens of Jonestown, the GOP?

"hell"

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New KF has dropped and its guesting Mark and Bill, very excited to get into this one.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/Hoolopee/status/1553818630139383808?t=q8oEyXwnsBQnEd4e5NnaTQ&s=19

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

:sickos:

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Kinda sad to realize. as it's been pointed out, that if Bill Hicks was still alive he'd probably have become just as chuddy as the rest of the loud drug-taking cynical gently caress conspiracy theorist media industry. I can't think of anyone in the old "question everything" crowd that hasn't pivoted to being fash-adjacent by now.

fake edit: and FFS just learned some dipshits believe Jones actually is Hicks! This is so loving stupid but at least it pisses Jones off, it actually upsets him for some reason.