Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

fosborb posted:

I basically use icon rolls as a pool of ffg star wars Triumphs that are more thematically bound. We even house ruled that players can carry 5s and 6s on to their next session.

The relationships themselves drive some enemy abilities, plot hooks, rumors, etc. This is supported really well in Eyes of the Stone Thief, for instance. I do struggle incorporating them on the fly as well as they are in prewritten adventures

My current GM has icon dice rerolled at the start of each session, with 5s given out if you don't get anything.

Two sessions ago I used a 5 with the diabolist to summon a hellhound that was attempting to kill me (but also damaged enemies in an attempt to get to me.) It was rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

waderockett posted:

If I were going to play a paladin in 13A I'd look at the Humakti in 13th Age Glorantha. Lots of paladin-feeling features, talents, and powers like Armor Geas, Death before Dishonor, and Grim Truth.
I'll look for that - thanks.

I just feel bad for my Paladin player whose choices are usually "basic attack" and "smite" with some laying on of hands here or there.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

I'll look for that - thanks.

I just feel bad for my Paladin player whose choices are usually "basic attack" and "smite" with some laying on of hands here or there.

Yep. My Paladin player multiclassed with commander and is VERY happy with that choice.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In my last game I noticed no one really knew what to do with icon rolls or liked to come up with story turns, so I came up with a system where each 5 or 6 could also be spent for a predefined mechanical bonus, which I custom tailored to the characters. By way of example, we had a Wizard who:
- learned magic among the Elves (1+ Elf Queen)
- was therefore opposed to the human school of magic (1- Archmage)
- and eventually ended up in the Crusader's service (1+ Crusader)

She could spend any 6 with the Elf Queen to roll twice on a spell attack, any 6 with the Crusader to roll twice on the number of targets for a spell (the Crusader doesn't like when people escape), and any 6 with the Archmage to bump up any Utility spell one level ("the Elves taught you the strict human rituals as examples of how not to do it... but they did teach you").

I also had Icon rolls interface with the item system: if you had two 6s, you could spend them to find a magic item associated with one of the icons involved. If you had 5s, same thing, but it meant an enemy in the next battle would own the item. And you could also spend a 6 to make an item's recharge roll one step easier (with a 5, the item's quirk would take over).

And finally, if someone had no 5 or 6 at all, they'd roll for a random icon out of all 13. If the result was one of their chosen icons, that counted as a 6. If the result was any other icon, that counted as a 5 with that icon, and that's generally where the story took the most interesting turns and the one aspect that worked best out of all of that.

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008
Has anyone used the Swordmage https://www.13thagesrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/swordmage/ or the Witch https://13thage.org/index.php/classes/230-auto-generate-from-title classes? I've got a couple players interested in those two and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I haven't but l love that Swordmage

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

LimitedReagent posted:

Has anyone used the Swordmage https://www.13thagesrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/swordmage/ or the Witch https://13thage.org/index.php/classes/230-auto-generate-from-title classes? I've got a couple players interested in those two and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them.

I thought that Mattson's witch was pretty neat hypothetically speaking, but I unfortunately haven't had the chance to experience it in-play, my player who was setting up a witch character nixed that one as an option pretty quickly when we were going over options, and unfortunately I cannot recall why.

The swordmage has a lot of fans of it, but personally I have never encountered a Killman class I liked, and he's expressed some very bizarre opinions on class design in this very thread.

Disclosure re Witch classes: I have a bias because I made one. I made mine to fit a particular idea regarding Witches that I had for my setting, and as a result I haven't really used any of the existing ones that I know of. Mattson's was my favorite of the ones I had been reading up until I committed to making my own, though! One of my players briefly played the War Witch that's available through ASHLEY LAW's Patreon prior to the completion of my one homebrew, however.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 14, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm idly (very idly) kicking around the broad idea of a Warlock class where the gimmick is it's only about as complex to play as the Barbarian or Ranger, to stop spellcasters hogging the upper end of the complexity scale, and you can rely on just doing an Eldritch Blast each turn. You'd be forced to put at least one icon relationship into a pact that would modify your blast into a certain direction - Diabolist for a damage-focused Infernal Pact, Elf Queen for a conditions-leaning Fey Pact, and so on for 5-6 of the more unsavoury icons mainly. That's about as far as I ever got though.

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008
Making a magic user class that's on the simpler end of the complexity scale is what the Theurge class attempts to do. https://www.13thagesrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/theurge-3pp/

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I made my own take on a spellcaster that I played in a decently long campaign; the goal was to have one that was fairly complex in play but simple to create. It can sometimes have a pretty high load of things to keep track of. Here it is if anyone wants to take a look: http://goo.gl/vQg4FP

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The Elementalist is great, I always make sure to point it out to folks any time character creation is on the table.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah Theurge is an interesting option, not really sure how I would build one off hand if I ever had the chance. Probably Mass Enchantment and Mystical Might, and thus wanting Int and Cha, maybe Warcaster though that means needing Con for damage.

Another interesting 3rd party class on there is the Warlock which tries to go for the Warlock theme from various editions with Pacts and Blasts, and focusing on the at will power of the 3.5 Warlock. Though definitely more complicated than the Theurge since it has three different kinds of at will spells.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.

PublicOpinion posted:

I made my own take on a spellcaster that I played in a decently long campaign; the goal was to have one that was fairly complex in play but simple to create. It can sometimes have a pretty high load of things to keep track of. Here it is if anyone wants to take a look: http://goo.gl/vQg4FP

This may be a dumb question. When do you roll the dice from your pool? I assume you roll them as you use them, but sometimes it seems to imply that they are already rolled or the values are predetermined. Are you supposed to roll the dice as they enter your pool, so then you use those results as you build your elemental blast/storm etc?

I really like these mechanics, and I think I'm gonna write up a npc badguy for my players to fight using them as a base. While we play online, it would be awesome at a table for the players to see the pool of dice in front of the DM as a sort of 'oh poo poo' mechanic. I'll see if I can find a way to make that work online, anyways.

Edit

I've been tinkering with a gunslinger class for a while now. The core idea is to get away from the pathfinder/dnd concept and find a way to tie the actually flavor of a gun to the mechanics beyond critical fumbles jamming the gun. As of right now it uses a Gun Dice (d6) that you roll at the start of the round. The result is tied to your deeds you know augmenting how they work. But once you spend your Gun Dice on a deed that result can not be used again until you reload your Gun Dice, which is an action(but becomes increasingly easy to do as you level up, as different class features, feats, and deeds grant free reloads or let you roll an additional gun dice and choose the result). The d6 plays on the six chambers of a revolver.

But your energy pool idea has me thinking that might be an interesting way to take it too. Instead of building up a pool of points you could work backwards. Starting with a pool of six dice, and you spend those to power your deeds, and then reloading refills the pool. This would remove the chance to land on a spent result which would take out that fumble feeling even more.

Huckabee Sting fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 15, 2022

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Huckabee Sting posted:

This may be a dumb question. When do you roll the dice from your pool? I assume you roll them as you use them, but sometimes it seems to imply that they are already rolled or the values are predetermined. Are you supposed to roll the dice as they enter your pool, so then you use those results as you build your elemental blast/storm etc?

This is basically it. When you add random dice to the pool, you would roll them, but all the dice in your active pool have set values. If you are adding dice with a chosen value to the pool, like for pulling them out of the reserve with a standard action or for hitting with Elemental Spark, you select the value you desire rather than rolling. It's been a long time since I wrote this, it might be time for a second pass to make sure all the language is clear.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
going to run the Wild Garden as a 5th level one-off adventure tomorrow, a successful goon projects where we bought our way into the 13 True Ways book

once again leaning on ASHLAW's character builders to create extremely solid pre-gens. Throwing in 3 magic items each from the Book of Loot to further flesh out the pre-gens.

First player who got back to me wants to be a summoning necromancer which is like building 5 loving characters at once (one unique thing: thinks they're a ranger, but they're the worst ranger in the world and actually a really good necromancer)

I bet someone is going to want to be a druid :cripes:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
whoops i lied. ended up running Swords Against Owlbears instead, a quick start adventure from a 2017 free rpg day, written by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan for 6th level characters

https://pelgranepress.com/2017/05/01/free-rpg-day-2017-swords-against-owlbearsfont-of-knowledge-flipbook/

this is easily 2 if not 3 sessions of content. loving it so far.

party is bard, commander, and necromancer and uh, i dont' think they were prepared for that level of complexity

playing everyone at 5th level. i'm sure it will be fine.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Thought I'd poke my nose into this thread. Currently in a 13th Age game online with some other Goons on Roll20. The setting is a custom one made by the GM with all new Icon (and we've never made an Icon roll and they merely just exist as major setting figures/faction leaders and informing the GM on whom to make the plot hooks with). Also they have some other list for magic items which is a little more orthodox compared to how 13th Age does it. The party just got to 4th level a couple of sessions ago and consists of:

An amnesiac android Rogue using the Space Corps Explorer race reskinned (me)
A Human Cleric who sheltered within the church after fleeing the cyborg knights he was previously part of
A zombie Dwarven Necromance who's recently multiclassed into Druid as they've felt a new touch of life
A Wood Elf Ranger that was bound to a tree for centuries
A High Elf Swordmage descended from dragons
A Human Fighter/Paladin whose family may have been imbued with powers from the Gods

Sessions run relatively short with only one or two combats per session so the party tends to dominate most combats. it's otherwise a pretty chill thing where the players are all big drat heroes that are thrown from one happening to another and everyone pretty settled in on their combat roles as 4 of the 6 of us just run up into the faces of enemies while the other two other blast from afar or support the other four. I'll grab some screenshots at some point.

My only major qualm is that I'm feeling a little lacking as the Rogue in terms of doing stuff in combat. Either it's Tumbling Strike in and out as I move from one enemy to another and keeping away from danger or Bleeding Strike as part of focusing down a particular enemy. I am aware that there are 3PP power options in the SRD, but I'm just wondering if there's other strategic options that I'm missing or if it's something else from how we do combats, or if it's just my own personal bias.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Xelkelvos posted:

My only major qualm is that I'm feeling a little lacking as the Rogue in terms of doing stuff in combat. Either it's Tumbling Strike in and out as I move from one enemy to another and keeping away from danger or Bleeding Strike as part of focusing down a particular enemy. I am aware that there are 3PP power options in the SRD, but I'm just wondering if there's other strategic options that I'm missing or if it's something else from how we do combats, or if it's just my own personal bias.

in our game that went to level 10, the party rogue generally followed this pregen path

https://pelgranepress.com/2018/05/02/13th-age-character-builds-assassin-rogue/

I will say the rogue was very dependent on magic items to keep up with other's spells that were baked in. items like a Catch and Release Dagger or a wide assortment of magical arrows kept utility and options at pace with wizards and commanders and necromancers, but it definitely required partnership between the gm and the player to make it happen

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think if I had found the Thief class with a better working link, I might've opted for that instead. As it is in doing neither am assassin rogue, nor a swashbuckling rogue so what tools are left to me is basically thievery

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
time to gently caress with an owlbear nest!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

fosborb posted:

time to gently caress with an owlbear nest!

Please give us dismemberment details :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

swolebear

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

This week's session where a bunch of NPCs take down a dragon while out party holds off it guardian which can summon ghostly soldiers.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Xelkelvos posted:

This week's session where a bunch of NPCs take down a dragon while out party holds off it guardian which can summon ghostly soldiers.

god i wish roll20's dark mode didn't gently caress up the template making rolled numbers so difficult to read

party fought the Maker of Many in her banquet hall after deciding they would rather not have her possess one of them to get a better body

the Swords Against Owlbears adventure for the 2017 Free RPG day was really fun. Another Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan success.

part of the adventures gimmick is that everyone is genetically unstable and constantly mutating based on the creatures they are killing. Characters start swapping these in, which had a fantastic Gamma World vibe to it.

Took a few sessions to play it, even with the players beelining for plot points, but I also really slow rolled so :shrug:

Unfortunately it doesn't really have plot hooks at the end of the adventure to continue beyond into a campaign, but easily enough sorted. Will do at least one more session of searching all the other nearby locations while the Twisted Gardens slowly descend from the sky. Where they land will be the plot hook

fosborb fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 1, 2022

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'd love to jumble up those cards and use them Gamme World style. Hand them out randomly to players and boom, that's your character.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Xelkelvos posted:

also, jfc how do you run 13th Age with 6 players? even with every action and item added to the official character sheets in roll20, that's so much time per combat

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Hello. I'm hoping to start running 13th Age online for some friends. We've all played other games fairly extensively in Roll20, but a couple of us have used (and liked) Foundry. I've also played a little 13th Age in Foundry and enjoyed the level of polish that the module appeared to have. Anyone have strong thoughts one way or the other, specifically about 13th Age on either platform? I know there are some fairly strong base level opinions about Roll20 vs. Foundry, but my group's opinions run the spectrum, so I'd like to get some 13th Age specific feedback.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i tend to prefer foundry but you can kludge together just about anything in roll20 and have it work well enough to run a fun game; i think 13th age has plenty of roll20 support but if you've already got something up and running that you like in foundry, as long as none of your players are going to quit over it i say use that

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I really like 13th Ages support in Roll20, but I have a pro account so little nice-to-have api scripts like setting tokens to use hp, temp-hp and recoveries, or creating an escalation die in the turn order definitely improves the experience. the character sheet is great, but you have to put in all powers manually. compendium drag and drop support for at least the SRD skills and spells would be amazing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This has shown up on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/mytholder/status/1556381235643125761

If nothing else I'd like to see the game get a little more visibility now that more people are looking at 5e alternatives.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Swiped from Enworld:

Mezuka posted:

On Discord, user Maneval#0450 shared these notes from the Gen Con panel.
Rob opened with an anecdote about playing 13th Age during the pandemic and finding how his monk was great but the fighter sucked.
Briefly discussed Behemoths: Path of the Koru. Similar to Drakkenhall (each chapter by a different author)
Announced Escalation Edition (new edition)
"We put a lot of advice in [13th Age] that turned out not to be true."
will be backward compatible so Bestiaries can still be used
Feat progression in original 13th Age worked more like Adv: +2, Champ: +4, Epic: +6... new edition: may be condensed into a single feat that says +2, bump to +4 at champ, bump to +8 at epic.
Original team of Rob and Jonathan along with Lee Moyer and Aaron McConnell returning
new pictures of the icons?
lots of new full color art
monster stats not changing
Icon Followers will be after Escalated Edition
Prophets of the Pyre, 10 lvl [Gareth Hanrahan] campaign. 95% done. Shorter in page count than stone thief

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Didn't Jonathan get into Social Media Trouble or something and was furthermore and more relevantly named as responsible for all the bits that hold the game back?

either way, excellent news! Sounds exactly like you should make an update.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Didn't Jonathan get into Social Media Trouble or something and was furthermore and more relevantly named as responsible for all the bits that hold the game back?

either way, excellent news! Sounds exactly like you should make an update.

I definitely remember this being a thing but can't remember the specifics.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Tweet tweeted some racial science adjacent stuff and Pelgrane completely cut him off so why hes back to work on the new edition I have no loving clue

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Well that's the fastest I've gone from excited to uninterested in a long time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean it's still gonna be 13th Age not 14 Words

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My Paladin player has finally hit the wall and will be looking for an alternative class.

When your only decisions are "smite? y/n" and "lay on hands needed? y/n" welp... It's fine for a few sessions but not a campaign.

I'm recommending Commander - but also wondering if a multiclass wouldn't be terrible? I can't say I fully understand parts of the 13A multiclass system - but it seems like he'd lose extremely little if multiclass Paladin/Commander, right?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

dwarf74 posted:

My Paladin player has finally hit the wall and will be looking for an alternative class.

When your only decisions are "smite? y/n" and "lay on hands needed? y/n" welp... It's fine for a few sessions but not a campaign.

I'm recommending Commander - but also wondering if a multiclass wouldn't be terrible? I can't say I fully understand parts of the 13A multiclass system - but it seems like he'd lose extremely little if multiclass Paladin/Commander, right?

Paladin/Commander is one of the strongest classes in the game, flat out. You hit hard on your turn and you have heals/protection and on everyone else's turn you become the indispensable reroll engine and you get to really gently caress the GM over when they roll poorly. It's a monster

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
with Tweet involved again, this is all I care about

quote:

10 lvl [Gareth Hanrahan] campaign. 95% done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

fosborb posted:

Paladin/Commander is one of the strongest classes in the game, flat out. You hit hard on your turn and you have heals/protection and on everyone else's turn you become the indispensable reroll engine and you get to really gently caress the GM over when they roll poorly. It's a monster
I guess my question is - do I understand this right? You have two different basic attacks and you need to decide which one?

I'm guessing he'll also need the Armored talent from the Commander if he wants to stay in plate?