Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Fritz the Horse posted:

this is kind of pushing it for shitposting itt.

Oops I thought this was right wing media. They usually post fox comments in there and I read from there down. My apologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/MichaelCohen212/status/1556784238988509185?s=20&t=fUfuoTMkz5l6N_gIjl5Vug

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

l.o.l

https://twitter.com/kellymakena/status/1550921361744445441?s=20&t=ia3cBh7RNP_SSxdz6ImMSA

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
While I understand this is an unfolding news event and some looseness in moderation is reasonable:

please keep your posts informative or interesting, provide context or commentary on tweets/articles you post, and avoid pure shitposting/white noise.

thank you

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

While I understand this is an unfolding news event and some looseness in moderation is reasonable:

please keep your posts informative or interesting, provide context or commentary on tweets/articles you post, and avoid pure shitposting/white noise.

thank you

I can't believe you're stamping the "NO FUN ALLOWED" sign down in the grass on this most hilarious of days. How untoward. Are we not still a comedy website? :mad:

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

nine-gear crow posted:

I can't believe you're stamping the "NO FUN ALLOWED" sign down in the grass on this most hilarious of days. How untoward. Are we not still a comedy website? :mad:

Sorry, you're in the serious only small amounts of fun allowed subforum, so please rein it in. And it's "stomping."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

Sorry, you're in the serious only small amounts of fun allowed subforum, so please rein it in. And it's "stomping."

I'll be good now, please don't probate me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I mean, there's a reason they do that. Trump understands the PR game well, it's why he won against someone playing it badly.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

desantis is 5'9 and looks even shorter. he will never be president.

for reference the last president this short was herbert hoover (carter cuts it real close at 5'9 1/2) because this is the sort of arbitrary bullshit that matters in politics

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
We are in the "WALLS ARE CLOSING IN/ THE WOLVES ARE THE DOOR/ TICK TICK TICK" phase right before Trump just gets away with breaking the law again. It's that brief moment where we can get a seratonin hit from knowing Trump and his ilk are scared but the high doesn't last long since he's been getting away with everything his whole life. We've seen this movie many times before we already know how it ends.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Charliegrs posted:

We are in the "WALLS ARE CLOSING IN/ THE WOLVES ARE THE DOOR/ TICK TICK TICK" phase right before Trump just gets away with breaking the law again. It's that brief moment where we can get a seratonin hit from knowing Trump and his ilk are scared but the high doesn't last long since he's been getting away with everything his whole life. We've seen this movie many times before we already know how it ends.

Hah, well, I'd like to see ol Donny Trump wriggle his way out of THIS jam!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Riven posted:

The NYT coverage of this notes that while in office he would routinely rip up documents by hand that some poor staffer would then have to tape back together out of his view because it was some important document they were legally required to keep. Because he couldn’t actually be bothered to burn the pieces and dump the ashes. He thought him ripping it up just made it not be a thing anymore.

Hell, earlier in the day axios had pics of notes that he flushed down toilets.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/08/08/politics/trump-white-house-notes-toilet-photos-cnntv/index.html

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
the number of people who are going to literally stroke out over their wet baby messiah having any kind of even potential future legal accountability for their many, many crimes is not zero. the entirety of right wing media including fox news went fully into the fear-stoking consumer driving phase over this; they're basically marketing pure politically existential anxiety and hysterics. people are losing their minds over this, literally

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz the Horse posted:

thank you

no!!!!

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1556795752726364165

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kavros posted:

the number of people who are going to literally stroke out over their wet baby messiah having any kind of even potential future legal accountability for their many, many crimes is not zero. the entirety of right wing media including fox news went fully into the fear-stoking consumer driving phase over this; they're basically marketing pure politically existential anxiety and hysterics. people are losing their minds over this, literally

the minds have been gone for quite some t
,uuuuuuuuuuuu f r-

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dubar posted:

Doesn't he still have boxes of stolen classified documents sitting around? Whatever it was they were looking for, I doubt it was even hidden

Just want to congratulate you for nailing this right out of the gate.

I'm sitting here trying to imagine what these documents might actually pertain to, even in a general sense. What would Trump want to keep in his own possession? What would he especially not want coming out? I highly doubt it's Russia but...possibly? Obviously there are a lot of possibilities because it's Trump but my guess would be it's something related to the election and ways to steal it. All Donald talked about was fraud and voting machines and poo poo so right there, assuming projection, my first instinct would be documents specifically discussing loving around with the vote. Then again, archiving a lot of that seems dumb and sort of out of character for Trump.

Thoughts?

E:

This thing is going to move fast and generate a ton of discussion as we learn more. Wonder if it warrants its own thread at a certain point?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 9, 2022

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I read that popehat thread about the warrant and the FBI to my girlfriend, who is a lawyer, and she scoffed pretty hard at the characterization of the FBI as an organization that doesn’t seek warrants lightly or that really must have its ducks in a row if it wants its warrant request granted. That stuff might be true in this case, since it’s the residence of a former president, but you really need to be skeptical of anyone saying that this must be big because the FBI’s ethical code and standards wouldn’t permit them to do such a thing frivolously. They are not above a fishing expedition, just like any other law enforcement agency. Popehat is a lawyer but he’s much more of a centrist and status-quo respecter than most of the people who post here.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i think the 'residence of a former president' is the operative phrase there

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Glossing over the fact that the place Trump lives isn't exactly a residence

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, it certainly defies comparison. It probably is a big deal. Just be careful about any reasoning that depends upon the FBI’s scruples.

Also interesting point about residence. “Residence” is pretty important for legal stuff. Has there been any previous examination of whether Mar A Lago should be classified that way?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If the FBI is sending their counterintelligence guy that suggests the issue might be who as trump giving those documents to:

https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/status/1556970754541068289?s=21&t=B5ng4NS02aBSUJOmVeGIGg

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can't wait for the right wing media spin on this one. While predictable, it's at least interesting in a forensic manner watching how BUT HER EMAILS is a national security threat thus lock her up, while Trump is, I guess selling state secrets or some poo poo and actually that's a good thing.

Will they break out old reliable and go for Soros or swing for the fences and say "deep state, thus we need to go on the attack"?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Racing Stripe posted:

Yeah, it certainly defies comparison. It probably is a big deal. Just be careful about any reasoning that depends upon the FBI’s scruples.

Also interesting point about residence. “Residence” is pretty important for legal stuff. Has there been any previous examination of whether Mar A Lago should be classified that way?

He's technically not allowed to be a resident there because nobody being a resident was a condition of the county allowing him to build poo poo like a helipad there. It's supposed to be a resort, not an apartment complex. IIRC he argues that he's not a resident but he is an employee and that's why he can stay there long term.

But it wouldn't be the first time that Trump has taken two completely contradictory legal positions depending on which government organization he's talking to.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

If the FBI is sending their counterintelligence guy that suggests the issue might be who as trump giving those documents to:

https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/status/1556970754541068289?s=21&t=B5ng4NS02aBSUJOmVeGIGg

Trump developing a habit of showing off classified documents to impress people (or in an attempt to support his unhinged conspiracy bullshit) and the FBI/DOJ deciding to hurry up and put a stop to it would make a lot of sense.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Can't wait for the right wing media spin on this one. While predictable, it's at least interesting in a forensic manner watching how BUT HER EMAILS is a national security threat thus lock her up, while Trump is, I guess selling state secrets or some poo poo and actually that's a good thing.

Will they break out old reliable and go for Soros or swing for the fences and say "deep state, thus we need to go on the attack"?

I posted some stuff in the RWM thread.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Racing Stripe posted:

I read that popehat thread about the warrant and the FBI to my girlfriend, who is a lawyer, and she scoffed pretty hard at the characterization of the FBI as an organization that doesn’t seek warrants lightly or that really must have its ducks in a row if it wants its warrant request granted. That stuff might be true in this case, since it’s the residence of a former president, but you really need to be skeptical of anyone saying that this must be big because the FBI’s ethical code and standards wouldn’t permit them to do such a thing frivolously. They are not above a fishing expedition, just like any other law enforcement agency. Popehat is a lawyer but he’s much more of a centrist and status-quo respecter than most of the people who post here.

Literally nothing about the comments about the FBIs regular habits had anything to do with their ethics. The FBI/DOJ behaves in the manner discussed because they don't like to lose.

Edit: "is a lawyer" doesn't really give anyone particular insight into this on its own. It would be highly dependent on the lawyers field and history of practice.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 9, 2022

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

If Trump faces actual consequences, I think that emboldens the fascists and A. we get at least one actual terrorist attack in response and B. someone actually competent like De Santis uses the anger to fuel his campaign by giving just enough of a hint that he'll pardon Trump.

Not saying the DOJ shouldn't prosecute Trump to the fullest- just saying there may be some serious blowback if anything actually happens. Hell, barring Trump from running again may end up helping the GOP.

Not facing actual consequences will also embolden the fascists. A. There are going to be terrorist attacks regardless. B. DeSantis is already the current front-runner and if he gets into office, him pardoning Trump will be a very minor one of the problems the country will face. I'm not even sure he'd do it because he wouldn't want someone free who would challenge him for power.

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah I really have trouble figuring out why people think DeSantis has anything going for him outside of Florida.

I don't think people want to repeat the mistake of assuming "he can't possibly win", given how easily Republican voters fall in line.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jarmak posted:

Literally nothing about the comments about the FBIs regular habits had anything to do with their ethics. The FBI/DOJ behaves in the manner discussed because they don't like to lose.

Edit: "is a lawyer" doesn't really give anyone particular insight into this on its own. It would be highly dependent on the lawyers field and history of practice.

The issue is executing a search warrant that doesn't lead to anything isn't usually losing in the FBI's view. But it is here.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

The issue is executing a search warrant that doesn't lead to anything isn't usually losing in the FBI's view. But it is here.

Don't disagree, there's a lot of conflating of different ideas going on in that post.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Racing Stripe posted:

popehat isn't just a lawyer. He was an AUSA for quite a while and worked very closely with Federal agents.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

haveblue posted:

Something like that. He whipped Republicans to allow the chips bill through because he was assured there was nothing like the IRA in the pipeline. Shortly after it passed, the IRA was revealed

I do love the insane kabuki theater of the Senate as an entertainment factor, although if I lived in America probably not. The idea you don't know the things that will be voted on is just :psyduck:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Not facing actual consequences will also embolden the fascists. A. There are going to be terrorist attacks regardless. B. DeSantis is already the current front-runner and if he gets into office, him pardoning Trump will be a very minor one of the problems the country will face. I'm not even sure he'd do it because he wouldn't want someone free who would challenge him for power.

I don't think people want to repeat the mistake of assuming "he can't possibly win", given how easily Republican voters fall in line.

It's this and also the whole thing where any time one of them gets arrested, impeached or called out, they interpret is legitimizing this idea that they're being targeted and persecuted. Like most things they do, it's designed for them to have it both ways.

If they're cleared or not charged at all, it means total exoneration and proof of a witch hunt (see: Mueller). If they get charged and sentenced, it's proof of the deep state, etc. (See: Alex Jones). Refusal to find proof of the Soros led commie conspiracy in Hillary's emails or Hunter's laptop is just more evidence of the big cover up. The conclusions are already drawn so then it becomes a matter of fitting the pieces into the puzzle they've already mashed and jammed together as "solved".

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 9, 2022

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The real threat is not DeSantis himself, in a vacuum, but DeSantis versus Biden. Given a clean slate, going up against a comparable Democrat, I don't think DeSantis would be a terribly strong candidate. But against the oldest candidate of all time, and depending on how the economy's looking at that point... It's not very encouraging.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Sir Lemming posted:

The real threat is not DeSantis himself, in a vacuum, but DeSantis versus Biden. Given a clean slate, going up against a comparable Democrat, I don't think DeSantis would be a terribly strong candidate. But against the oldest candidate of all time, and depending on how the economy's looking at that point... It's not very encouraging.

Republicans aren't banking on winning through democratic means in 2024, even if it's against Biden. They're going to very publicly and openly try to outright steal the election.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Republican hypocrisy has literally never been a problem for them. They see it as a trick that works.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Racing Stripe posted:

Yeah, I expect they're being careful here but this is the same FBI with cases like the Gretchen Whitmer plot. The FBI loves a fishing expedition.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Rigel posted:

popehat isn't just a lawyer. He was an AUSA for quite a while and worked very closely with Federal agents.

Yeah. He views them as colleagues and respects them. He has a ton of knowledge and experience, but he assumes a minimum level of professionalism and justification in their actions that most people on this board would not.

He said "Federal magistrate judges tend to require relatively thorough, specific, and well-documented applications, as opposed to state judges, who will generally sign a warrant that looks like something Gary Busey blew out of his nose after a Fourth of July weekend." That just means that the FBI is diligent in their paperwork, though it would be easy to conclude from it that the FBI compares favorably to these unspecified other law enforcement agencies in other ways as well.

He also said "Then the agents, in theory, search for the items specified in the warrant application. I say in theory because, as I have described before, even federal agents have a tendency to be over-inclusive." In short, he admits that the FBI goes fishing. He implies that they do it less than others, but he says that they do. They're cops, and that's what cops do.

I'm not saying that there's nothing here. The FBI probably did have a real lead, and they probably have something in whatever they confiscated from the property. They certainly would play things cautiously and by the book when they're searching a former president's residence (or whatever it is). I'm just saying that Popehat gives the FBI more credit than anybody here would, especially if this were a search executed somewhere other than a former president's golf course.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I expect they're being careful here but this is the same FBI with cases like the Gretchen Whitmer plot. The FBI loves a fishing expedition.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. Thanks for tossing in an example.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Republican hypocrisy has literally never been a problem for them. They see it as a trick that works.

Because it does keep working for them.
How many times have the Republicans said "Lol screw the rules", only for Dems to spend weeks tut-tutting them about :decorum: and the rules and how gosh darned unfair it is after Republicans pinky-promised not to do the thing they keep doing, only for them to subsequently shrug and go "Ah well, nevertheless, VOTE!, and also we need you to send us $15 urgently..." because Dumbledore didn't pop in to magically fix the problem for them and therefore they're powerless to do anything?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
oh, so trump forced the raid by not handing over borrowed material? hmm

the head of the fbi is trump appointed?

happened right before the primaries?

republicans all have canned dialogue saying this is an staged attack from the left and now republican voters need to vote red no matter who?

y’all sure we ain’t being comeyed right now?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

the_steve posted:

Because it does keep working for them.
How many times have the Republicans said "Lol screw the rules", only for Dems to spend weeks tut-tutting them about :decorum: and the rules and how gosh darned unfair it is after Republicans pinky-promised not to do the thing they keep doing,

This is the big reason why the Manchin face-heel-face turn arc was so satisfying frankly