Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also I like the idea that the setting really is the dried-up ocean floor after a Fist of the North Star level insane offscreen apocalypse. Maybe Half-Life 2.
I'm pretty sure the salt flats in Fury Road are meant to be the ocean floor. Max remembering the old world explains why he can guarantee that if they keep going "there's nothing but salt".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Jedit posted:

Furiosa was born after the collapse. So it's been a good 40 years at least, and certainly too long for Tom Hardy's Max to have been a cop before it.

I don't think she's in her 40s in that movie. If I was to guess, and take the hardships of a post apocalyptic society into account, I would have thought maybe early 30s at the most.

Fury Road is a reboot, so doesn't fit in with the timeline of the original trilogy. It's neat that they're all considered folklore tales of a wasteland hero.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
She says she was gone 7000 days plus the days she doesn't remember. That's not really enough to go on but it means she was gone at leaat 20 years.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Fall Dog posted:

I don't think she's in her 40s in that movie. If I was to guess, and take the hardships of a post apocalyptic society into account, I would have thought maybe early 30s at the most.

Fury Road is a reboot, so doesn't fit in with the timeline of the original trilogy. It's neat that they're all considered folklore tales of a wasteland hero.

Just to throw it out there, George Miller has said it's not a reboot. I don't think of it as; they're all tales but they all could uh, exist within the same timeframe, I guess. I see Mad Max as being the (current) earliest of in the timeline but any of the other movies I guess could just be whatever. Oh, I guess that gyrocopter guy shows up in two movies, doesn't he...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fall Dog posted:

Sure, but you don't know how long after the collapse she was born. Her age just sets a minimum bound, and with her being roughly the same age as Max - who was meant to have been an adult before the collapse - there's no way to handwave it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Mad Max, all of them, take place in present times, that's just what Australia is like.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
The Neighbours Extended Universe

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I thought it was stupid having Max flash back to a bunch of scenes from the earlier movies at the start of Fury Road, since it doesn't add anything to the story and it detracts from the concept of Max being an idea more than a specific person, but what if that was representing the spirit of Max taking Tom Hardy over?

He doesn't say his name because he has no name for most of the movie. Only after doing a bunch of crazy poo poo with guns and exploding cars for the sake of the poor and downtrodden does he become Max

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

marshmallow creep posted:

It's like how Sasha is a totally normal name is Russian for a man to have, but in English speaking world it's heavily skewed towards feminine. Vanya sounds so much like Anya that is sounds pretty fem to my ears, anyway. Hell, I think in many languages with a Latin influence, an -a at the end of your name basically makes your name a girl's name by default. That association is really strong for a lot of people so getting away from it may have been the point.
I'm not disagreeing, but this is funny because most Russian informal names and diminuatives end in -a for both male and female names. Also there can be like a dozen different ways to construct a diminuative which is certainly not confusing in the least when a character can be referred to by 3-4 different things, depending on who is speaking to whom.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Boy did action movie heroes get shot in the shoulder a lot in the eighties and nineties. And somehow it never impedes them other than maybe listing to starboard when they run.
Yeah, I've noticed this too and it's funny/irritating because the shoulder is a really loving bad place to mess up. It's a complex joint with lots of nerves, bones, and soft tissue, plus it's an area that can heal really slowly due to the vascularization. Mind your shoulders when working out kids, rotator cuff injuries suck!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Last Action Hero handled this great when the action hero version of Schwarzenegger got shot in the shoulder in the real world and was in incredible pain and bleeding and unable to function.

They took him back to the movie world and sought immediate medical attention and when the doctor arrived he laughed at him, "It's just a shoulder wound!" and told him to walk it off.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Boy did action movie heroes get shot in the shoulder a lot in the eighties and nineties. And somehow it never impedes them other than maybe listing to starboard when they run.

At some point hollywood realized this was getting cliche so now all the heroes of action movies get non-fatally shot in the lower outside abdomen, which as we all know contains no organs vital to human survival.

Since I just watched Prey over the weekend, I thought I'd go back and rewatch Predators, where the following exchange happens early in the film:

Adrian Brody, speaking to a latinx woman with a definite Portugeuse accent who just demonstrated her in-depth knowledge of jungle environments - "[You're] IDF?"

The clearly Brazilian woman: "Yes"

:psyduck:

Note, I'm not trying to be essentialist here but it was just a super weird choice to make the character Israeli for no reason when it would have made much more sense for her to be like Colombian spec ops or a FARC guerrilla or some poo poo, especially considering the original was set in Guatemala and she has knowledge about the original event. Felt like a studio rewrite.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

flavor.flv posted:

I thought it was stupid having Max flash back to a bunch of scenes from the earlier movies at the start of Fury Road, since it doesn't add anything to the story and it detracts from the concept of Max being an idea more than a specific person, but what if that was representing the spirit of Max taking Tom Hardy over?

He doesn't say his name because he has no name for most of the movie. Only after doing a bunch of crazy poo poo with guns and exploding cars for the sake of the poor and downtrodden does he become Max

It just represents the lives he's lived and those he's ended, the people he's known, whether he failed them and they died or he killed them or he moved on, they still haunt him. He doesn't talk in the beginning because he's gone feral, just a gibbering mass of trauma.

He's not a guy that happens to drive the interceptor and who happens to wear the same clothes as max who then gets possessed by max.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

credburn posted:

Just to throw it out there, George Miller has said it's not a reboot. I don't think of it as; they're all tales but they all could uh, exist within the same timeframe, I guess. I see Mad Max as being the (current) earliest of in the timeline but any of the other movies I guess could just be whatever. Oh, I guess that gyrocopter guy shows up in two movies, doesn't he...

Bruce Spence shows up in 2 movies playing a pilot both times, but isn't the same guy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

800peepee51doodoo posted:

At some point hollywood realized this was getting cliche so now all the heroes of action movies get non-fatally shot in the lower outside abdomen, which as we all know contains no organs vital to human survival.

Since I just watched Prey over the weekend, I thought I'd go back and rewatch Predators, where the following exchange happens early in the film:

Adrian Brody, speaking to a latinx woman with a definite Portugeuse accent who just demonstrated her in-depth knowledge of jungle environments - "[You're] IDF?"

The clearly Brazilian woman: "Yes"

:psyduck:

Note, I'm not trying to be essentialist here but it was just a super weird choice to make the character Israeli for no reason when it would have made much more sense for her to be like Colombian spec ops or a FARC guerrilla or some poo poo, especially considering the original was set in Guatemala and she has knowledge about the original event. Felt like a studio rewrite.

Maybe they couldn't get Gal Gadot for the part? :v:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Edward Teach wears the same outfit as Mad Max in Our Flag Means Death, ergo Mad Max is just the spirit of Blackbeard but because the ocean is gone he pirates cars instead.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Re: OFMD
I understand that whole show is a big pile of silliness and "creative anachronism" stuff, but I still don't really understand how the mad max outfit is supposed to tie in unless they were just like "this is cool." It's absolutely not a coincidence either, it's absurdly on the nose. They even replace his knee brace with a knife scabbard in the same place. Is it just because there are a lot of kiwi actors and they figure Australia's close enough? The organic mechanic from Fury Road has a small role, is it related to him? I don't know!

I did like how on the show if you want to go visit someone on their boat you can just hop in a rowboat and show up a few hours later, even if their ship is on the open ocean. "Hey buddy, thought I'd visit!"

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The Organic Mechanic is one of the best names in all of cinema.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
A couple of weeks ago Pitch Meeting had the executive say ‘That’s the thing from the other thing! Sometimes I recognise a thing from another thing and my brain releases the happy chemicals.”

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I understand that whole show is a big pile of silliness and "creative anachronism" stuff, but I still don't really understand how the mad max outfit is supposed to tie in unless they were just like "this is cool." It's absolutely not a coincidence either, it's absurdly on the nose. They even replace his knee brace with a knife scabbard in the same place. Is it just because there are a lot of kiwi actors and they figure Australia's close enough? The organic mechanic from Fury Road has a small role, is it related to him? I don't know!

I did like how on the show if you want to go visit someone on their boat you can just hop in a rowboat and show up a few hours later, even if their ship is on the open ocean. "Hey buddy, thought I'd visit!"

from the head writer's Instagram:

I watched Black Sails afterwards because everyone was like, oh it's also gay pirates, but it's so completely different in tone I wouldn't automatically recommend it unless you enjoy Prestige Cable Drama. It made me laugh how in OFMD, Blackbeard complains about the crazy depictions of him with a bunch of guns, and when BS Blackbeard finally appears he's got three guns strapped to his chest at all times.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Aphrodite posted:

Bruce Spence shows up in 2 movies playing a pilot both times, but isn't the same guy.

This confused me, because in the movie you first see him in he's flirting with one of the refugees so in the next movie I imagined he made a decent life for himself, had a kid, etc.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Bruce Spence Flying Unconventional Aircraft is just part of the vague canon surrounding the Max legends, like his car and dog. He's a lesser Babe The Blue Ox to Max's Paul Bunyan.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I know continuity isn't the star of the show in the Mad Max universe, but why does Max remember the time before the apocalypse but the old ladies at the end of Fury Road are part of a druidic tribe taking about their home as the Green Place like you just airlifted them out of an isolated jungle

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Because part of max's story is that he used to be a cop and had a family, in The Before Times. It doesn't matter that he's appearing in a story where the elders weren't alive in The Before Times.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I know continuity isn't the star of the show in the Mad Max universe, but why does Max remember the time before the apocalypse but the old ladies at the end of Fury Road are part of a druidic tribe taking about their home as the Green Place like you just airlifted them out of an isolated jungle

Because Mad Max is a legend passed down in the mad max world, not a real person.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Taika Waititi looks really hot in it, you see.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Much of Furiosa will take place in The Green Place.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

moonmazed posted:

iimm: cillian murphy is so weird looking

So's the guy playing Sandman but I'm not complaining about it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I’ve been calling him “Thrift Store Robert Pattinson”.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I just call him Hot Niel Gaiman

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

OG Mad Max is based on the oil crisis of the 70s and is honestly only slightly exaggerated.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah it was post apocalyptic because the chief's leatherdaddy outfit was cheaper than a cop costume.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've heard that they didn't have enough budget for as many cars as the script required so a bunch of the cars were just repainted and used again and again.

Also the only one wearing genuine leather is Max because vinyl outfits were cheaper.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was watching Sandman and I'm not sure who this one character is but all I know is that he voiced the Shame Wizard from Big Mouth and I just have this mental image of the Shame Wizard guilt tripping this lady into driving him to get some ruby.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I was watching Sandman and I'm not sure who this one character is but all I know is that he voiced the Shame Wizard from Big Mouth and I just have this mental image of the Shame Wizard guilt tripping this lady into driving him to get some ruby.

He was also Ares in Wonderwoman! Pasty, ginger Ares.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co38R5MW5zE&t=16s

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bussamove posted:

He was also Ares in Wonderwoman! Pasty, ginger Ares.

I had a hard time taking that villain seriously. Even in his final form he still had that dorky face.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I had a hard time taking that villain seriously. Even in his final form he still had that dorky face.

That mustache took any villainous wind from his sails. Just do a full face-covering helmet with glowing eyes or something!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

HopperUK posted:

Taika Waititi looks really hot in it, you see.

Really hot.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Honestly Sandman guy should have looked a lot weirder. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Panfilo posted:

David Thewlis gets a pass from me in absolutely everything for the time he punched racist shitlord Jim Davidson in the face.