Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jake Hager still has the distinction of being in the worst AEW World Championship match ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MJeff posted:

Jake Hager still has the distinction of being in the worst AEW World Championship match ever.

It's obviously subjective but I'd say it's a competition with Omega/Rich Swann and Mox/Butcher, the latter of which I believe was the impetus for Butcher getting absolutely ripped because he felt like he got blown up in that match and didn't deliver because of it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I don't think anyone would miss Hager, but I also can't argue that he's overused. He's just Jericho's big doofy bodyguard, he doesn't really do singles matches any more (except the Claudio one and I understand why you'd wanna do that one), and it's funny that JR still absolutely loves the guy.

I also cannot for the life of me fathom someone saying WWE needs him or would use him better.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dawgstar posted:

I just realized I really dropped off Lucha Underground around the time Mil Muertes The Man Of A Thousand Deaths was sitting on his skull throne like he was the Puerto Rican Shao Khan. I think my cable package lost El Rey.

Aw man you missed the entire run of THE MONSTER MATANZA CUETO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zZFN5DFTu8&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zMw_Kc4NzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veKO3mbdXM0

Shard fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 10, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

I don't think anyone would miss Hager, but I also can't argue that he's overused. He's just Jericho's big doofy bodyguard, he doesn't really do singles matches any more (except the Claudio one and I understand why you'd wanna do that one), and it's funny that JR still absolutely loves the guy.

I also cannot for the life of me fathom someone saying WWE needs him or would use him better.

They don’t need him but it would make it infinitely less likely I’d have to see his boring matches anymore, so he should go back ASAP

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

poo poo, you'd think it would occur to them that they had him, and hosed him over just about each and every time he got momentum (the exception being his WM29 match. Hager can wear that one).

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

They don’t need him but it would make it infinitely less likely I’d have to see his boring matches anymore, so he should go back ASAP

AEW usually announces their matches before the show, so you have the option to avoid Hager.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but he might be in another sweet multi-man clusterfuck that I do want to watch despite him being there and then I’m trapped

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

It's obviously subjective but I'd say it's a competition with Omega/Rich Swann and Mox/Butcher, the latter of which I believe was the impetus for Butcher getting absolutely ripped because he felt like he got blown up in that match and didn't deliver because of it.

I may be wrong here but wasn't the Butcher match literally one week after he'd just gotten over COVID? I'm pretty sure that was a major part of the reason he was blown up. He did look great when he returned though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
has Hager even had more than like two or three singles matches on aew TV? I can think of the claudio one and the wardlow worked mma one

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Hoss Corncave posted:

I may be wrong here but wasn't the Butcher match literally one week after he'd just gotten over COVID? I'm pretty sure that was a major part of the reason he was blown up. He did look great when he returned though.

Yes, might’ve even been less than a week.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Man, JD Drake looks terrible here.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

flatluigi posted:

has Hager even had more than like two or three singles matches on aew TV? I can think of the claudio one and the wardlow worked mma one

+ vs. Mox from an empty American Korakuen.
+ vs. Dustin Rhodes with the gross kiss spot.
+ that might be it.
+ some stuff on dark probably.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

flatluigi posted:

From his debut, his purely TV matches have been QT Marshall, Chico Adams, Mox (World Title), Cody (TNT Title), Wardlow, Brandon Cutler, Wardlow again (MMA rules), Eddie, and finally Claudio.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

karmicknight posted:

+ vs. Mox from an empty American Korakuen.
+ vs. Dustin Rhodes with the gross kiss spot.
+ that might be it.
+ some stuff on dark probably.

Had a match against Eddie Kingston in June, against Cody for the TNT title back in 2020 and that's about it.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

MJeff posted:

That match was actually good though, quality time with good ol’ JR.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)

A Fancy Hat posted:

hager played for his favorite college football team so jr will always be a mark for him

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hoss Corncave posted:

Might've been, I don't know if I knew he was coming off of COVID. I just remember it being another hot outdoor show in Florida and he seemed to definitely be suffering from that (in addition to post-COVID, apparently). It's maybe excused for being the worst title match because it was what pushed him to get into better shape, so everything worked out in the end.

Found these quotes from him:

quote:

"It was 98 degrees that night," Butcher stated. "My two singles matches with AEW, one was against Mox. It was 98 degrees with a 100% humidity. Then my match with PAC, it was 27 degrees that night. Two different extremes but here's the thing, I got frustrated in a whole other way with that Mox match because I really wanted it, and I know that me and Mox would have great chemistry. And it was so easy to call the match. I didn't take anything into consideration. I didn't take the heat into consideration. I didn't take the fact that even though I didn't have symptoms of COVID, it still affected me. I was still fatigued, and I'm not making excuses, but it was a rough one.

"And I remember The Bucks, which The Bucks kind of have this weird, sinister care. Their care for you comes 'The Young Bucks' way, so they came up to me like, Dude, oh my God, we thought you were having a heart attack,' and they were kind of laughing about it. 'There was a shot where we were overhead, and you were holding your heart and you were purple.' And I was like, 'Well, first, I take Niacin before I go out. So I'm just beat red and angry looking.' They were concerned, and I remember just after that match, I was so frustrated with the match that I was like, that's never going to happen to me again. And then I remember Tully [Blanchard] telling me about this crazy conditioning workout that he did, and I was like, tell me the conditioning workout because I'm going to do it every day."

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

flatluigi posted:

I think he had a title match with Mox

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

What’s niacin for and damnit tell us this conditioning workout please, Butcher

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s a vitamin supplement and if you take a bunch of it it makes you go all red and angry looking like he says.

It can also gently caress your liver up but yolo.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

niacin is a b vitamin and you make it. so don't take more unless you need to. or you want to. but you should want to for a reason. don't do it for no reason unless you want to. that's a reason

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1557124010743238656?t=3c36emjAc8ak3AWovQesWg&s=19

Bit of dumbassary because who did not see this coming. I will say this in the dude's defence though, AEW storylines are so well paced and enjoyable that the long slow build was so good I'm almost sad they pulled the trigger entering the next phase

See also; Hangman winning the title and Wardlow turning face.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Miller is a wrestler in the NXT system

https://twitter.com/Winttxrr/status/1557461645043142662?s=20&t=mF8kD_c2pk07jK_0s0mmQA

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

but of course, Sasha isn't Black enough for her

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's weird to see One Drop Doctrine done in reverse.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, gatekeeping biracial black people is sadly a thing. I remember when people were so desperate to call Kofi the first African American WWE Champion, they de-blacked the Rock.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hager is so boring that I started watching AEW for the first time in November 2021 and I only realized he was Jack Swagger like a month ago, my entire experience with Hager has been "occasionally standing behind Jericho with arms crossed, not speaking" and the occasional match

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

HonorableTB posted:

Hager is so boring that I started watching AEW for the first time in November 2021 and I only realized he was Jack Swagger like a month ago, my entire experience with Hager has been "occasionally standing behind Jericho with arms crossed, not speaking" and the occasional match

That's basically all there is to him except sometimes he comes along with a killer match like the wardlo shoot fight

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Kosmo Gallion posted:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1557124010743238656?t=3c36emjAc8ak3AWovQesWg&s=19

Bit of dumbassary because who did not see this coming. I will say this in the dude's defence though, AEW storylines are so well paced and enjoyable that the long slow build was so good I'm almost sad they pulled the trigger entering the next phase

See also; Hangman winning the title and Wardlow turning face.

It did share the same negative trait that a lot of AEW storytelling suffers from which is while the stories are told good there's often a limp pull of the trigger. Julia is another example. Everyone knew she was turning, was ready for it, and then it didn't happen that night it should have and now to be honest I can't remember off the top of my head when she actually did turn.

They somehow are able to completely telegraph something but still make it feel like it came out of nowhere. And not in a good way.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

HonorableTB posted:

I think he went through the entire infighting with the Inner Circle, the whole team meeting thing, the break-up, and the picking of sides without ever saying a single word.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Julia spit mist in PAC's face at Double or Nothing and it was perfect

The turn itself was delayed partly because of Rey Fenix's injury

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)
i can sort of understand saying the turn felt "rushed" simply because cole fish and kylo had been off tv since forbidden door, and then came back and immediately turned, but it felt to me like more of a "welp, we can't wait on guys to get healthy, we just have to get it overwith"

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The only reason it feels "rushed" is because Cole was being proactive against the Bucks, not reactive.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

It did share the same negative trait that a lot of AEW storytelling suffers from which is while the stories are told good there's often a limp pull of the trigger. Julia is another example. Everyone knew she was turning, was ready for it, and then it didn't happen that night it should have and now to be honest I can't remember off the top of my head when she actually did turn.

They somehow are able to completely telegraph something but still make it feel like it came out of nowhere. And not in a good way.

There was a false start to Julia turning, where she was going to hit Griff or Pillman with a chair but didn't. She appeared at DoN and spat black mist at PAC, finally turning.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Kosmo Gallion posted:

There was a false start to Julia turning, where she was going to hit Griff or Pillman with a chair but didn't. She appeared at DoN and spat black mist at PAC, finally turning.

I remember the false start, forgot about PAC. Shoulda been against the Blondes

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Julia not turning on the Blondes made her appearing out of nowhere to mist PAC after everyone thought her story was over way better

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Malakai talked a bit about the timing of that angle in an interview and said he specifically didn't want to do it during the Blonds segment because he didn't want to give people what they wanted.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

it's funnier that she didn't bother to turn on the blonds because they're now beneath her notice or attention as they whine about her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It also leaves the door open for future angles with the Blonds, which I hope they never do