Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
wouldnt it take like an hour to write that bot, not 2 weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

A Bakers Cousin posted:

some people are really bad at coding

speng31b
May 8, 2010

A Bakers Cousin posted:

yeah but the shameful part is that you'd try to automate it to start with

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

not sure which forum is better at coding, yospos or tcc

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lib and let die posted:

i would take my week off from work and spend every waking moment developing a bot to repeatedly chainprobe every poster within my 2 week purview of abuse. this is not an actionable threat - this is a promise.

I would do the same, but without the bot.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

He's tump, he's tump, he's tump. He's in my head

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
users are broadly split across 2 diametrically opposed mod philosophies:

1) "just yeet people who suck, whats so hard about that?" which contains the subsect of "just write rules and consistently punish people who break them"

and

2) "this forum is 20 years old and we're all middle aged. the forums dont need babysitters, just ban people doing crimes or being too disruptive and let the users handle their own affairs otherwise."

of course there's merit to both, and in reality the art of governance is melding autonomy with coercion. lots of confucius quotes about this whichi would advise any aspiring bureaucrat to peruse. but i think this a nexus of tension that can never been fully unspooled, just a fact of life. its kind of funny right. kuz the first one is defining "people who suck" and then for the rules typists the interpretation of when something qualifies as rulebreaking, which is entirely subjective as born out by the entirety of every judicial system ever since all time. then the second group has to wrangle their definitions of disruption and crime, which is easy to stymie in infinite layers of minutia and competing definitions.

guess all im saying is posting insanely reductive poo poo about moderating a community of any (any) size can feel pretty Genius like you're laying out some kind of fundamental truth socrates style but most of the its completely meaningless. sa forums culture is insanely conservative and changes very slowly, which i think has been to our advantage as evidenced by the legions of spinoffs and successors which have come and gone as we've muddled along. this can be annoying at times for the "and.yet.you.did.NOTHING" crowd but i think its worth keeping in mind.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

redneck nazgul posted:

some people are really bad at coding

it's me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Same, and I do it for a living

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Yeet Smythe

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

The extent to the doxing was sealed up right quick by the mods. It was p extra if I remember the second hand reposting lore going around that weekend. Like actually called Eifel's boss and broke that sacred seal.

Like I get it conceptually and principle-like. But also Alec was quite possibly the easiest and most enticing man to dox these forums have ever seen. Also he gone now so wut

like all second hand reposting lore, its extremely inaccurate.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

speng31b posted:

yeah but the shameful part is that you'd try to automate it to start with

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Lib and let die posted:

i would take my week off from work and spend every waking moment developing a bot to repeatedly chainprobe every poster within my 2 week purview of abuse. this is not an actionable threat - this is a promise.

this has been done before and sadly qualifies as Forums Fuckery and will result in your ik privs being pulled. if you do make a bot, ensure it has some degree of randomization which gives you plausible deniability. i would suggest including long stretches of inactivity which perhaps makes it even less effective than a recurring alarm on your phone. now thats kind of interesting to consider. a machine created to emulate a human but needing to be sufficiently incognito as a machine could perhaps be less effective than a human emulating a machine. hmmmmm

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
the only mod philosophy that users agree upon is that they knew

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Smythe posted:

this has been done before and sadly qualifies as Forums Fuckery and will result in your ik privs being pulled. if you do make a bot, ensure it has some degree of randomization which gives you plausible deniability. i would suggest including long stretches of inactivity which perhaps makes it even less effective than a recurring alarm on your phone. now thats kind of interesting to consider. a machine created to emulate a human but needing to be sufficiently incognito as a machine could perhaps be less effective than a human emulating a machine. hmmmmm

the timing wouldn't be what gives away a probe bot it'd be the boring or repetitive probe reasons. it might only be possible to get away with in dnd

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

speng31b posted:

the timing wouldn't be what gives away a probe bot it'd be the boring or repetitive probe reasons. it might only be possible to get away with in dnd

just use an image, everybody loves it when you do that

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I HAVE A CONDISHUN, DAMMIT

THIS ABLEISM IN CSPAM MUST NOT STAND

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
you promise to code we promise to mock

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i think modding has been good because i can't think of any specific problems except for this recently:

sexpig by night posted:

yes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i don't even entirely know what the specific argument/discussion was about but even a sixer seems too harsh for cspam, especially since everything in ukraine seems murky as hell and it's not entirely clear that it wasn't a shitpost

i have no issue with the mod, i just think this was a bad d&d-esque probe

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Smythe posted:

this has been done before and sadly qualifies as Forums Fuckery and will result in your ik privs being pulled.

And that's only the most lenient potential outcome.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

astral posted:

And that's only the most lenient potential outcome.

yeah, the other outcome is the ending of ex machina

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if cunshitter like called irl people about EA ok um that probably crossed a line

but in general doxxing a guy who posts a vlog of his daily life and whose forums name was his rl name seemed suspicious without that other background

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

euphronius posted:

if cunshitter like called irl people about EA ok um that probably crossed a line

but in general doxxing a guy who posts a vlog of his daily life and whose forums name was his rl name seemed suspicious without that other background

he didnt call anyone is the thing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ok then free him

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My bad for remembering wrong. What was the extent?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KirbyKhan posted:

My bad for remembering wrong. What was the extent?

If you look at the posts around his perma he threatens to doxx someone to their employer. I don't know if he did or not, but that doesn't sound like something someone should do.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
it was supremely hosed up and theres no excusing it. I've exchanged DMs with him and for the sake of privacy i wont reveal too much except he does acknowledge threatening to dox someone was supremely stupid.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Alec Eiffel was vlogging with his kids (also while driving with said kids) and stuff and I think cumshitter wanted him to stop by threatening to doxx him? I don't know/remember the whole ordeal.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Smythe posted:

you can get around a lot of basic anti-webscraper type defenses just by randomizing the time between pulls and taking little bits each time. the slow, random blade penetrates the shield

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

crepeface posted:

i think modding has been good because i can't think of any specific problems except for this recently:

i don't even entirely know what the specific argument/discussion was about but even a sixer seems too harsh for cspam, especially since everything in ukraine seems murky as hell and it's not entirely clear that it wasn't a shitpost

i have no issue with the mod, i just think this was a bad d&d-esque probe

I think it would be helpful to read through the discussion and compare it to the probe reason I put down. If I hosed up by missing their point, i appreciate people taking the time to explain it. If their string of posts wasn't justifying war crimes, shoot me a pm or post why in this thread and I'll absolutely listen/apologize for messing up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

first of all why is justifying war crimes worth a probation . I know for a fact people justify USA war crimes ( for example ) in these threads all the time and nothing happens

seems odd that you jumped into the thread at that moment also

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

pretty sure nobody in the cspam thread is justifying or cheering on war crimes, you may be thinking of the other four threads on this topic

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

euphronius posted:

first of all why is justifying war crimes worth a probation . I know for a fact people justify USA war crimes ( for example ) in these threads all the time and nothing happens

seems odd that you jumped into the thread at that moment also

I really don't know how to explain why justifying war crimes is a probation. If you see people in cspam justifying war crimes the u.s. does, you should report them or link them to a mod?

And none of the mods really act individually, me jumping in was a substitute for another mod to do it for the same reason. Also, and I mean this sincerely, it's just 24hrs where someone has to just read the forums instead of posting on them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What are you talking about lol. And no I wont report people for discussing stuff.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i honestly would suggest that you treat this like an opportunity to critique a poor action and feedback why you would have a problem with that probe, he legitimately will listen to it. you can do it in a PM if you'd prefer. again i would observe he would honestly take your critisisms if constructive on board in an embarrassingly sincere way.

for me for one honestly bud nice short succinct line or two in the lepers colony, long text in a PM to that user explaining politely. that is in my observation the best way to handle it if you want to talk about it in a longer form way and people expect them. they might be extremely angry at you, or other people might be extremely angry at you for not probing them harder, or other people might be extremely mad at you for putting too many words in the lepers colony or other reasons, fair and unfair. some of these people will be kind of deranged, this is the reality of modding SA.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Alec Eiffel was vlogging with his kids (also while driving with said kids) and stuff and I think cumshitter wanted him to stop by threatening to doxx him? I don't know/remember the whole ordeal.

Not getting Alec off the forums faster is one of my greatest regrets as a mod. Let me give some background from someone who was as neutral between the two of them as possible.

Alec had been making the Trump thread all about him and his lovely negative attention seeking behavior for a long time. After Flavius went...well, after Flavius the mod team basically lost track of what was happening in there for several months and Alec went full Forums Superstar and no one checked him.

By the time I became aware of a problem, Alec had been harrassing cumshitter via disturbing vlogs for some time. Him vlogging while driving with his child in the car gets a lot of attention but the ones that disturbed me most were him coloring a picture with his child, with the reveal that what his kid was coloring had cumshitter.com written on it and worst of all, Alec making a literal fake suicide note video in his loving classroom, including brandishing a razor blade, before the punchline of him saying cumshitter.com.

Gimmick aside, it was very clear that cumshitter was extremely freaked out by Alec not leaving him alone and it must be stated that they live geographically close to each other, and cumshitter had talked enough about his favorite bar that he appeared legit concerned Alec was gonna actually show up and try to find him. Given Alec's downward spiral, I don't think the concern was unjustified.

Now, none of this is to excuse what cumshitter said. He absolutely did have a pharmaceutically fuelled meltdown starting very earlu New Years Day morning and continuing into the afternoon in which he threatened to call Alec's employer to report the creepy poo poo in his vlogs. That poo poo was inappropriate in the extreme, but it isn't exactly fair to compare what he did and randos doxxing someone to harrass them.

We should have dealt with Alec quicker than we did and I personally should have been more aggressive in handling his creepy behavior and not trying to get him to reform. Either of those would have headed off the impending meltdown.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"justifying a war-crime" is way too lose and vague a standard to be meaningful. 1. What definintion of war crime are you using? Article 12 of the Rome statute? not every country agrees with that. Even if everyone agrees to use the Rome statute, there is often little chance of knowing one way or the other whether many actions in a war are a war crime without a long investigation and compilation of evidence and testimony. Are we going then off of what "feels" like a war crime at the time? these things are often only discussed soon after they happen so that would seem a blanket freeze on discussing most war as it happens. 2. what does justify mean in this context? do you mean, what I think, more like "excuse"? or say it was not a war crime? Many many people justify the USA dropping atomic bombs on Japan. I doubt this is the kind of thing you would probate however.

Just confusing all around.

euphronius has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Aug 10, 2022

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

euphronius posted:

What are you talking about lol. And no I wont report people for discussing stuff.

Well, I guess I don't really understand why this bothers you. :( if you want, you can absolutely pm or something and we can talk about it. I appreciate you trying to communicate the issue to me, but there some wires crossing that make it hard for me to grasp your attitude towards. I'm sorry 😞

CoolCab posted:

i honestly would suggest that you treat this like an opportunity to critique a poor action and feedback why you would have a problem with that probe, he legitimately will listen to it. you can do it in a PM if you'd prefer. again i would observe he would honestly take your critisisms if constructive on board in an embarrassingly sincere way.

for me for one honestly bud nice short succinct line or two in the lepers colony, long text in a PM to that user explaining politely. that is in my observation the best way to handle it if you want to talk about it in a longer form way and people expect them. they might be extremely angry at you, or other people might be extremely angry at you for not probing them harder, or other people might be extremely mad at you for putting too many words in the lepers colony or other reasons, fair and unfair. some of these people will be kind of deranged, this is the reality of modding SA.

I absolutely will try to be better about this in the future, and I appreciate the feedback. I'm brand new, so I do need feedback from the people I'm affecting. I'm off to work but I'll come through later on and listen more

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Azathoth posted:

Not getting Alec off the forums faster is one of my greatest regrets as a mod. Let me give some background from someone who was as neutral between the two of them as possible.

Didn't read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I really don't know how to explain why justifying war crimes is a probation. If you see people in cspam justifying war crimes the u.s. does, you should report them or link them to a mod?

And none of the mods really act individually, me jumping in was a substitute for another mod to do it for the same reason. Also, and I mean this sincerely, it's just 24hrs where someone has to just read the forums instead of posting on them.

I read the whole thing and didn't see anyone saying warcrimes are good or justifying or apologizing for them. It seemed like a bad probe because you specifically probed them for raising the proposition that Azov might be using civilians as human shields and then attached kind of a weird wall of text that seemed detached from what anyone actually did.

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anyone saying warcrimes are good or OK. Saying that Azov might use people as human shields isn't the same as saying warcrimes are OK, and as far as I can tell you read that into the conversation and made that assumption yourself.

I think people are just saying lay off the buttons and post it out. Your probe reason could have just been a post in the thread lol

Anyways take that as feedback, it's a 24 hour probe and noone is hopping mad about it