Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vulcan has no moon. Vulcan is a moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vulcan is not a moon.

If you WERE from a moon, you'd know how DEEPLY insulting that is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tunicate posted:

Vulcan has no moon. Vulcan needs no moon.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

Kira's uniform (and hair) got better after they got rid of the integrated shoulder pads.

This is the worst opinion ever. I'm mouthbarfing over here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Honestly, Earth Final Conflict might have been decent if the lead didn't quit after the first season.

EFC was one of those weird shows where it basically had like NO consistent main cast across its somehow 5 season run aside from the villains. And even then, Season 5 was like some weird completely different show because the main narrative ended on a satisfying conclusion in Season 4 and then it just... kept going for some reason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That show had five seasons? Jesus.

110 episodes!?

e: lol

quote:

The show had an unusually high turnover rate among the regular cast, partially due to contractual disagreements between the cast and the producers.Almost all of the show's major characters were killed or otherwise removed within a season or two of being introduced. In fact, the only character to appear as a regular during all five seasons was FBI Agent Ronald Sandoval (Von Flores), one of the show's antagonists.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 10, 2022

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

This is the worst opinion ever. I'm mouthbarfing over here.

That barf in your mouth is Odo, trying to stop you from disagreeing with me

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

davidspackage posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Wc4seVg.mp4

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

That show had five seasons? Jesus.

110 episodes!?

e: lol

It was "other scifi from that dude who created Star Trek" and ran most of it's run against Voyager on not CBS/Paramount.

Like Andromeda, it was basically a license to make and market sort-of bootleg Star Trek, tagging along to franchise inertia with the Roddenberry name.

EDIT: I remember it being at times not completely awful, but the tendency of the local TV channels here to show episodes in randomish order, and the revolving door of main cast made it very confusing series to follow.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

He would too that fuckin' cop

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

It was "other scifi from that dude who created Star Trek" and ran most of it's run against Voyager on not CBS/Paramount.

Like Andromeda, it was basically a license to make and market sort-of bootleg Star Trek, tagging along to franchise inertia with the Roddenberry name.

EDIT: I remember it being at times not completely awful, but the tendency of the local TV channels here to show episodes in randomish order, and the revolving door of main cast made it very confusing series to follow.

I remember seeing random episodes late at night when I was in high school and later when I was home visiting from college, and every time it was completely baffling and like a totally different show.

One thing I will give them credit for is calling their online merch store that they advertised in every episode “the sto’or” which follows the convention they had established for their alien characters having names of two repeated vowel sounds separated by an apostrophe, although a lot of people probably wondered what the hell it was. And I don’t know who would have ever wanted an Earth: Final Conflict logo jacket.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is there any real benefit of getting Trek DVDs/blurays? Like can't miss special features or commentary?

Should I just get Paramount+ for $10?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Is there any real benefit of getting Trek DVDs/blurays? Like can't miss special features or commentary?

That and at least a minuscule future-proofing guarantee that you'll still have the ability to watch them through physical media in the event that Paramount+ goes kaput or Star Trek's streaming rights get scattered to the internet winds again.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

That and at least a minuscule future-proofing guarantee that you'll still have the ability to watch them through physical media in the event that Paramount+ goes kaput or Star Trek's streaming rights get scattered to the internet winds again.

Or CBS/Paramount/Viacom has another elderly person moment and they decide to shitcan the Paramount+ service, and for their strategic reasons, not make their shows or movies available anywhere. For example of their excellent business senses, you still cannot legally watch DISCO S4, Short Treks, Prodigy, SNW or the TOS movies from anything if you are inside EU. In some places Netflix still has the older series, and for example Amazon carries Picard and Lower Decks in the Nordics.

...And that "cannot watch new shows or old movies" includes the countries where Paramount+ is otherwise available. Great job, Paramount!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

NikkolasKing posted:

No. I got a complimentary year of Paramount+ through a special deal, and even at the price of free, the app is so bad that I've gone back to Plex for watching anything carried by Paramount+.

The ad-supported version (which is still $5/month) has ad breaks at normal broadcast frequency. However, the volume is cranked up three times as loud as the show you're watching, and occasionally the app will freak out and restart an ad break from the beginning in a neverending loop. If you exit out of the show while this is happening, it will often lose track of your progress and try to restart the episode from the beginning -- and it will, of course, queue up a bunch of commercials each time you skip past a block of show.

This is all on the Android/GoogleTV app, so maybe other flavors of it are better?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WhiteHowler posted:

This is all on the Android/GoogleTV app, so maybe other flavors of it are better?

It's borderline-unusable on PS4 and my AppleTV, so, definitely not.

Edit: Their server backend infrastructure is still so broken that a two-hour movie will have its playback stop probably five times and you'll need to exit and resume.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah Paramount+ is laughably broken streaming

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Der Kyhe posted:

Hilariously it turned from a "V" knockoff to become a Buffy knockoff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I would watch Star Trek on a CRT if I could.

One of my most vivid ST memories is when one week our washing machine broke so my mom had to drag us all up to a laundromat, and they had a lovely 13 in TV showing a fuzzy over-the-air episode of TNG that I hadn't seen, Frame of Mind. Laundromats in the 90's are already fairly limnal spaces, and combined with the weirdness of the episode and the TV, it just left an indelible impression in my mind. It's probably the episode I most remember watching.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 10, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As soon as CBS announced their own streaming service, I knew that that the writing was on the wall for Star Trek being on Netflix. I was half right, as they eventually did leave Netflix, but CBS+ or whatever they called it had died and turned into Paramount Plus by then.

I was planning on buying up all the seasons of TNG slowly over time on a digital service. Couldn’t decide between Vudu or iTunes. Fortunately, TNG had left Netflix right when there was a big Star Trek sale on iTunes so I managed to get TOS, TNG, and DS9 for a fraction of the price of buying TNG alone. I hope the sale happens regularly so I can scoop up Enterprise, Voyager, and Lower Decks.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Surprisingly Paramount+ has worked fine for me in the UK. Only annoying thing was that they decided to stagger the release of SNW, only launching with episodes 1-3 and adding one a week when the US was up to episode 8 by then. Also a UK account is locked to the UK, so no VPNing to another region, which even Disney+ doesn't block.

Also no Picard or Lower Decks, still on Amazon over here. No Short Treks at all, seemingly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brawnfire posted:

Far and away the worst streaming app I’ve used

They just recently started adding the ‘skip intro’ button to the older Trek series.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Brawnfire posted:

It's sad, because they've amassed a pretty good library of shows between Star Trek and CBS/Viacom properties.

With HBO Max doing its best Hindenberg impression with its original content, this would be a great time for a competing service to step in and capture market share. But it's just so painful to actually watch anything on Paramount+.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Parmount+ is a terrible app with a lot of problems, but I generally haven't had any issue with it once I've gotten to the content and started streaming (assuming I'm not trying to rewind to rewatch something again, the scrub is terrible.)

I've watched quite a few movies all the way through without issue end to end.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

meanwhile peacock refuses to let you use a HDMI monitor if you stream on your computer

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tunicate posted:

meanwhile peacock refuses to let you use a HDMI monitor if you stream on your computer

What's the point of that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm going to guess in the case the webapp can't verify if the downstream display is HDCP compliant.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

same reason they didn't launch with a roku app, the people in charge are wildly incompetent

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Crave in Canada limits your PC to 720p, but supports 4k if I use my Chromecast/Google TV thing. It's stupid.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I loved how in Generations uh Data accessed the Klingons' core frequency so he could um initiate an ionic pulse. That really spoke to me as a resolution to the conflict of er the Klingons finding out the shield modulation and adjusting their torpedo uh frequencies to um match.

Man Generations is the Voyager movie isn't it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

I loved how in Generations uh Data accessed the Klingons' core frequency so he could um initiate an ionic pulse. That really spoke to me as a resolution to the conflict of er the Klingons finding out the shield modulation and adjusting their torpedo uh frequencies to um match.

Man Generations is the Voyager movie isn't it?

I've mentioned this before, but they didn't have the money for the battle they envisioned, at all. John Knoll from ILM took a look at the script, and he told the team, "Look, on your budget, you can either have a really kick-rear end battle, or you can have the saucer crash. You can't afford both unless you find another $6 million." The saucer crash had been in Moore and Braga's mind since the end of season 6 (hence the episode title Descent), and so they elected for that. This is why there are only like four external shots of the ships during the battle.

There's a kernel of a good movie in Generations, but it suffered from Paramount not having faith in the TNG cast's ability to carry a movie, hence why they wanted it in theaters six months after TNG ended.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lmao, Worf telling Kor that there totally was a ledge under him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

What's the point of that?

Feels like some kind of asinine anti-piracy measure.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CPColin posted:

Jake being unable to explain it satisfactorily to Nog is the best explanation we ever got.

"We do not discuss it with outsiders!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tom Paris creates a classic arcade holoprogram, complete with skeeball and a children's pizza party (if desired). Harry gets frustrated because he doesn't understand "50 cent play." Tuvok arrests Neelix for making counterfeit prize tickets.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So is Picard just being a dick to Riker when they first meet and he's like " Do a manual saucer reattachement" because it comes off as a dick move

I have begun to rewatch Star Trek

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

So is Picard just being a dick to Riker when they first meet and he's like " Do a manual saucer reattachement" because it comes off as a dick move

I have begun to rewatch Star Trek

Farpoint Picard is like a straight up escaped serial killer. He's creepy as poo poo :stonk:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Hollismason posted:

Management big dogging the new hire, typical

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Also it seems like manual attachement is probably incredibly dangerous so like Picard is also putting the ship at risk. Its just a weird part of the episode that this full time is dedicated to the saucer reattachment. Also Lol that they never ever really detached the saucer in the show that often. I actually can't remember a episode where they were like "Yeah lets detach the saucer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Also it seems like manual attachement is probably incredibly dangerous so like Picard is also putting the ship at risk. Its just a weird part of the episode that this full time is dedicated to the saucer reattachment. Also Lol that they never ever really detached the saucer in the show that often. I actually can't remember a episode where they were like "Yeah lets detach the saucer"

It only happened 4 times to the -D. Farpoint, Arsenal of Freedom, BoBW part II, and Generations.