Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sydin posted:

I've been joking with my family in Illinois that this might be the first time that my summer is more humid than theirs, lol.

It's definitely been weird to throw open the windows after dark and not actually cool my room down much at all, flashbacks to my childhood in the midwest.

Yeah, my wife and I and our two kids just got back to Phoenix (gently caress me) from visiting Southern California, and I was surprised at how muggy it was. It reminded me of growing up near Chicago.

I'd still definitely take it though because gently caress Arizona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. wrong thread

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

As the Senate held a rare weekend session that stretched from Saturday night into Sunday afternoon – a so-called vote-a-rama – Sen. Diane Feinstein left the Senate floor at 11:17am Sunday morning. She was accompanied by Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Amy Klobuchar, along with the senator’s chief of staff, David Grannis.

“David, where are my keys?” Feinstein asked her chief of staff.

“I’ve got them right here,” he replied, as he shook the keys. “I went to the house when the laundry was done.”

“Oh, okay,” Feinstein replied.

“We’re ready to go over there whenever you’re done,” Feinstein said.

“And where’s my puppy?” Feinstein asked in response.

“We had to put her in the back of the house earlier,” her staffer replied.

“Yeah. she probably had to get some rest,” Sen. Amy Klobuchar added.

“Puppies have a nap, now it’s time for you to have one,” Elizabeth Warren told Feinstein.

“I love that animal,” Feinstein said.

“Yeah. We feel that way about our doggie too,” Warren said.

“Oh, it’s so nice. She curls up around you,” Feinstein said. “The best.”

At 11:54am, Feinstein and her staffer exited the same elevator just off the Senate floor.

“Where are we going?” Feinstein asked as they exited the elevator.

They were walking back to the Senate floor.

“So for this vote, I have you down as a ‘No,’” Feinstein’s chief of staff replied.
https://twitter.com/MattLaslo/status/1556760810684284934

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Feinstein has a very presidental aura.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Gotta agree with Warren here, it's time for Feinstein to take a nap. Do you think Feinstein just votes for poo poo as her staffer says and she doesn't even know what it is?

In other news, San Bernardino county wants to secede from California:

quote:

After real estate developer Jeff Burum proposed that San Bernardino County should secede from the state, voters will likely soon get to make their voices heard on the topic.

“San Bernardino County has long suffered enough from the state of California,” Burum said.

The mayors of Upland and Fontana have indicated their support, and this week, the county Board of Supervisors voted to put it to the voters.

Even if the measure is approved by voters, it would also need a sign-off from the state Legislature and U.S. Congress. Pitney said that won’t happen.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

no poo poo?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

They really might do it this time though, just you see

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my greatest dream is my county seceding and then making the almond farmers pay for the water

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This rules. You've had a sundowning President, now is the time for President Feinstein, it's the logical next step. Or maybe nominate her to the Supreme Court if a justice dies in the next few months

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
had? brother sleepy joe is still here

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1557224539267817472

It's 2022, there are still 0 usable miles of high speed rail in California, connecting no people to no people.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I, too, am shocked that a railroad that is under construction cannot yet function as a constructed railroad.

Anyway, I wonder how many of those eminent domain lawsuits along the right-of-way had a little backing from Mr. Musk there.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

I mean look, I'm not a fan of Feinstein and think she should've retired long ago. But I'm in my 30's and if I'd stayed up all night, by noon the next day I wouldn't remember where my keys got left either.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Muir posted:

I mean look, I'm not a fan of Feinstein and think she should've retired long ago. But I'm in my 30's and if I'd stayed up all night, by noon the next day I wouldn't remember where my keys got left either.

yes, I, too, regularly forget where I am and where I'm going as I'm led along by my handlers, because I pulled an all-nighter

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

jetz0r posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1557224539267817472

It's 2022, there are still 0 usable miles of high speed rail in California, connecting no people to no people.

this, again, shows how dumb Musk is. Or he's trying to save face. Because high speed rail was going to fail regardless of his dumb hyperloop crap.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

yes, I, too, regularly forget where I am and where I'm going as I'm led along by my handlers, because I pulled an all-nighter

You’ve never known an executive who is over scheduled and relies on their admin to tell them what they’re doing all day? Especially one from a generation where they’re not used to running their own calendar on Outlook?

“Led along by my handlers” sure is a funny way of saying “reminded of things by my aide.”

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Muir posted:

You’ve never known an executive who is over scheduled and relies on their admin to tell them what they’re doing all day? Especially one from a generation where they’re not used to running their own calendar on Outlook?

“Led along by my handlers” sure is a funny way of saying “reminded of things by my aide.”

carrying water for Feinstein is pathetic my dude

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Muir posted:

Congrats on emerging from your coma! Let's catch you up: https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/dianne-feinstein-senate-17079487.php

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm not a fan of Dianne Feinstein, but I am a fan of people taking naps.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Naps should be mandatory IMO.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

carrying water for Feinstein is pathetic my dude

parroting Fox News talking points about Sleepy Joe et al. is pathetic my dude

I'm aware, and I share the same concerns, but the exchange reported by Laslo is pretty normal stuff.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

sb hermit posted:

this, again, shows how dumb Musk is. Or he's trying to save face. Because high speed rail was going to fail regardless of his dumb hyperloop crap.

Nah it will probably happen it's just going to be massively corrupted and over cost and probably have unaffordable tickets to try and pay off the overruns

Muir posted:

excuse me our comments about "senile brandon" and "railroads to nowhere" are coming from the left and you can tell because

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Muir posted:

no bitch. dats a whole new sentence. wtf are you talking about

Jaxyon posted:

excuse me our comments about "senile brandon" and "railroads to nowhere" are coming from the left and you can tell because

see man this is exactly what I mean. you had one good point and now you're back to defending the confederate flag lady. you do not under any circumstances have to hand it to Feinstein

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 10, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Unless the "it" in question is her own death certificate

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

no bitch. dats a whole new sentence. wtf are you talking about

"my use of "bitch" isn't misogyistic at all it's coming from the left!

quote:

see man this is exactly what I mean. you had one good point and now you're back to defending the confederate flag lady. you do not under any circumstances have to hand it to Feinstein

Where did I defend Feinstein? She's obviously being run completely by her staff by this point. While certainly should never have been elected president at his age(or any age) he's obviously not at the same level.

There's way better reasons to poo poo on Biden without parroting dumb rightwing poo poo. Like him being a rapist, racist, or centrist.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Feinstein is a senile old monster and Biden is also a senile old monster and neither of them should be permitted to hold power in this condition.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Muir posted:

Yeah no she actually has very real dementia and has for many years now. I saw her at an in-person small event in San Francisco 5+ years ago and it was really uncomfortable seeing a confused and Ill person being made to perform publicly. Having lived with family members that died from Alzheimer's I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being an embarrassing incontinence episode in the senate some day soon. I bet the handlers already rotate her to the bathroom every two hours to avoid it.

They're weekend at bernieing her because there are important committee chairs she gets a vote on that you only get through seniority. It's incredibly stupid and, politics aside, her family needs to intervene because it's not appropriate.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

forkboy84 posted:

This rules. You've had a sundowning President, now is the time for President Feinstein, it's the logical next step. Or maybe nominate her to the Supreme Court if a justice dies in the next few months
Reagan had Alzheimers. Strom Thurmond was absolutely gaga. Biden is giving no public evidence of any cognitive problems; that's a right-wing slur because he's a whopping three years older than Trump.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Biden is giving no public evidence of any cognitive problems

From the Extreme Left: lol

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RachelRMarshall/status/1557168773240479745

i am shocked

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CPColin posted:

From the Extreme Left: lol

Well, he's a loving centrist, yes.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah no she actually has very real dementia and has for many years now. I saw her at an in-person small event in San Francisco 5+ years ago and it was really uncomfortable seeing a confused and Ill person being made to perform publicly. Having lived with family members that died from Alzheimer's I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being an embarrassing incontinence episode in the senate some day soon. I bet the handlers already rotate her to the bathroom every two hours to avoid it.

They're weekend at bernieing her because there are important committee chairs she gets a vote on that you only get through seniority. It's incredibly stupid and, politics aside, her family needs to intervene because it's not appropriate.

Yes I’m sure she is cognitively compromised. But staying up for a day and a half straight and then needing to ask an aide where your keys (that they borrowed) are, or what meeting is next on your agenda, is not evidence of it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Muir posted:

Yes I’m sure she is cognitively compromised. But staying up for a day and a half straight and then needing to ask an aide where your keys (that they borrowed) are, or what meeting is next on your agenda, is not evidence of it.

No it's not evidence, but it's a well known thing in the Senate that her staff is essentially running her to keep the seniority on committees and her CoS is who you need to talk to.

This largely isn't reported on due to ~decorum~ so you mostly get these sideways references to it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

jetz0r posted:

Yeah you can't use a rail system that's under construction.

sb hermit posted:

Because high speed rail was going to fail regardless

It's still being built, so it's weird to say it's failed. It'll serve a ton of people, and be fast, and trains are cool and good. I bet it'll see lots of use.

Some construction sites from the initial operating segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKacS7HuRsk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO-OCqb8up0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVT7GEfLNJQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcGt8eKTlNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adJx0nG2rbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FL8SOhx0p8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXgY5fQq3ew

The segment going to San Jose has recently been approved as well, and Caltrain electrification (needed to complete HSR to SF) is underway and should be finished in a couple years. Also, the state just gave the project $4.2 billion. But yeah true, America sucks and poo poo gets built slowly, and expensively.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jaxyon posted:

"my use of "bitch" isn't misogyistic at all it's coming from the left!

actually it's a meme you dink

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

actually it's a meme you dink

lol like that makes it any different

Rah! posted:

The segment going to San Jose has recently been approved as well, and Caltrain electrification (needed to complete HSR to SF) is underway and should be finished in a couple years. Also, the state just gave the project $4.2 billion. But yeah true, America sucks and poo poo gets built slowly, and expensively.

Yeah LA had people complaining about the Metro being built the entire time about how useless it was and a ton of people ride it.

But agreed that the US can't do infrastructure without doing it stupidly and expensively

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
first time in months the thread gets a lot of posts and it's someone carrying water for feinstiens staffers lol. frankly they should be in prison for elder abuse. do not let your mainlined liberalism cloud your judgement of the situation. set your pathetic, unbound understanding of political economy to the side and realize that it's really cruel and immoral to do this to a clearly senile lady despite the fact you apparently like the way her staffers vote.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

But agreed that the US can't do infrastructure without doing it stupidly and expensively
The UK has been joining us on stupidly expensive infrastructure lately. The high speed rail network that they're building right now is about half the length of the California HSR for slightly more cost, taking just as long to have construction start and same estimated time to finish.

edit: and also even as expensive as the HSR is, the needed additional capacity done with highway and airport expansions instead is estimated to cost 1.5x the current HSR cost estimates

fermun fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 11, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

first time in months the thread gets a lot of posts and it's someone carrying water for feinstiens staffers lol. frankly they should be in prison for elder abuse. do not let your mainlined liberalism cloud your judgement of the situation. set your pathetic, unbound understanding of political economy to the side and realize that it's really cruel and immoral to do this to a clearly senile lady despite the fact you apparently like the way her staffers vote.

I haven't seen a single person say "Yeah, it's great that Feinstein's staff are puppeting a person with dementia." Do you have quotes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Trolley problem:
You have inexplicably & spontaneously become one of Feinstein's lead staffers.

Do you:
- Puppet her in support of left wing causes
- Have her retire due to dementia and probably be replaced by a median California centrist senator