Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

cells at work is great but both the original flavor and BLACK are pretty violent, though mostly comically? Either way if comically over the top murder of germs is an issue there's your warning.

cells at work code black also has some pretty big baps and a strip-canabalism so you know, YMMV.

Cells at Work is pretty much coded for kids edutainment as it's exaggerated pantomime about cell functions in the body (I'm pretty sure that's why the english dub even localized the OP), but Cells at Work BLACK isn't. It's a harder look at a badly-maintained adult body in adult situations. I'd say maybe stick to regular-flavour Cells at Work for what they're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Hey hey!

I’m OK with people flirting and being into each other—this is part of the reality of a 7th-grade girl for sure—as long as we’re not talking about explicit “more serious than kissing” activities being depicted. Trying to protect against both her getting weirded out and her father having a case for saying I’m giving sexual content to the kid.

She has been reading some inoffensive kid-at-school and kid-taking-care-of-animals manga recently, but I think that heavier topics are ok. She’s quite empathetic but someone getting bullied isn’t going to break her.

If stuff is mostly OK but maybe a bit of a stretch, then I’ll just keep it and give it to her when she seems ready. Just trying to avoid some of what I encountered randomly picking up manga at a used book store, with conspicuous sexual or other graphic violence.

I don’t know if that’s helpful at all!

My Roommate is a Cat and Polar Bear Cafe seem like they would both fit in with the animals theme.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Looking for a show that plays with the isekai trope by making the world fairly hostile to the isekaid because the tech/knowledge they have upsets the natural order of things, sort of like the later half of bookworm with the printing press, or their powers are fairly disruptive or weird like rezero, or because what kind of god gives a teenager god power and lets them loose inside of a fantasy world seems like that would end up with some sorta power tripping jerk rather than a hero.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Looking for a show that plays with the isekai trope by making the world fairly hostile to the isekaid because the tech/knowledge they have upsets the natural order of things, sort of like the later half of bookworm with the printing press, or their powers are fairly disruptive or weird like rezero, or because what kind of god gives a teenager god power and lets them loose inside of a fantasy world seems like that would end up with some sorta power tripping jerk rather than a hero.

Executioner and Her Way of Life is about someone who murders isekai'd kids for a living.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Someone make a story about the truck driver who murders teenagers and then make it a crime story where the Isekai'd teenagers try to find a way to send messages across dimensions to the police detectives tracking the killer.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I miss the truck kun manga, did that ever go anywhere?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

looking for an anime that's on the short side (12 episodes or less preferred, 16 episodes is probably fine as a max), action-y or otherwise visually interesting, and not terribly heavy. movies would be a good or possibly even preferred option too, promare has been given as an ideal example

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 11, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Redline?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

unfortunately i believe everyone in this group has already seen redline at my behest

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

looking for an anime that's on the short side (12 episodes or less preferred, 16 episodes is probably fine as a max), action-y or otherwise visually interesting, and not terribly heavy. movies would be a good or possibly even preferred option too, promare has been given as an ideal example

The initial Patlabor OVAs? Nobody dies, you get a fun cast of weirdoes, and good mech action. Sure, there's more stuff later, but you can just watch the initial OVAs and get plenty.

FLCL is another obvious one, as are Gunbuster and Diebuster. Luluco's pretty short too...

Really, it's a pretty broad setup. Anything more you can say about options to eliminate?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm honestly just looking for a shotgun of options, a friend in my weekly anime watching group is going through some super rough stuff atm so i'm just looking for an easy watch but i personally am blanking on options, i have never kept a MAL or similar and i am regretting it now

maybe uh definitely nothing that remotely touches on suicide. comedy is a bit hit or miss with this group but good action is great. very much looking for "turn your brain off and see the pretty cartoons" stuff

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 11, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm honestly just looking for a shotgun of options, a friend in my weekly anime watching group is going through some super rough stuff atm so i'm just looking for an easy watch but i personally am blanking on options, i have never kept a MAL or similar and i am regretting it now

Right. Well, some more light and quick options that are at least somewhat entertaining, although you've probably seen some of them already:

Mazinkaizer SKL
Gundam Breaker Battlogue
Dominion Tank Police (Just the first six. New Dominion isn't on par.)
One Punch Man
Konosuba (there's 20 episodes, two ovas, and a movie, but just season 1 should be fine)
Little Witch Academia (first short, show runs a bit long)
Hinamatsuri
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken
Astro Fighter Sunred (52 episodes over 2 seasons, but they're just 15 minutes per, so season 1 should be fine in the available time)
Crusher Joe (Not Yas's best work, but it has its moments)
Lupin III: Castle of Calistrogo
The Night is Short, Walk on Girl

Any of those sound like they might work?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

this one was a winner, thanks bud!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Manga, but Jin is about a modern day surgeon who gets stuck in feudal Japan. Lots of people are suspicious he’s a spy because of his “Dutch” medicine, and then some people are fighting over his abilities, and he’s just trying to save people. It’s great. And it’s complete (the author released the whole thing on patreon translated: https://www.patreon.com/motokamurakami?utm_campaign=creatorshare_fan )

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 12, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Yo this was great, if I wanna watch more lupin III where should I go from here?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

ninjewtsu posted:

Well, you might have an issue there, but not the one you might expect. There's only 55 years worth of manga, movies, anime, tv specials, live-action adaptations, etc. It's kind of like saying "Hey, I liked this one thing called Gundam. What else is there?"

The sixth anime series just ended in March of this year, as the 50th anniversary of the original anime.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Well, it depends what you're looking for. There's part 1 and part 2 if you want more Miyazaki Lupin, but they're pretty old and part 2 is utterly massive, which can be intimidating. Similarly, there tends to be a movie or two every year, although they're of very mixed quality.

For stuff I've had firsthand experience with, I watched through all of Part V, Part VI, and The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, which all have their own spins.

Fujiko focuses on Fujiko (unsurprising) and is a more adult series than standard Lupin. Written by Mari Okada, it's heavy on sex and violence, with a series-spanning main plot. Really unique look and style, which was carried into followup movies focusing on various characters.

Part V was great. It's kind of primer and love letter to all of Lupin, alternating between one-shots focusing on every era and multi-episode plots examining Lupin in a modern context, from him fighting Facebook to consideration of his relationship with Fujiko as they foil a CIA plot. Again, there's sexual content that may be an issue, depending what you're comfortable with, but there some really fun character dynamics and neat guest episodes. (Like an episode by the writer of Kino's Journey.)

Part VI... sucked. Some good one shots, but it was a major disappointment after Part V's highs with awful longer running plots.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not too familiar with Lupin as a franchise but the recent cgi movie Lupin the First was fantastic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also avoid the live-action movie. It suuuucks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lupin's had a wide variety of tones over the years and cagliostro is definitely the mostl ike, 'wacky friendly thief' take on the character. part 2 and part 3 are probably the closest to that style.

the original manga is fairly gritty, if still comedic, especially early on in its run, but the edges got softened considerably when it got adapted to tv. so the more modern takes on the characters vacillate pretty heavily between tones, leading to serious stuff like fujiko mine and more hijinks of the week stuff like the recent cg movie or parts of part 5.

the cg movie was marketed as a bit of a spiritual remake of cagliostro (though the exact plot is pretty different) so itd be a good followup id say.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kvantum posted:

Well, you might have an issue there, but not the one you might expect. There's only 55 years worth of manga, movies, anime, tv specials, live-action adaptations, etc. It's kind of like saying "Hey, I liked this one thing called Gundam. What else is there?"

The sixth anime series just ended in March of this year, as the 50th anniversary of the original anime.

perhaps, like gundam, i should start with the cream of the crop and work my way down

sounds like the woman called fujiko mine, lupin the first, and part 5 are the big ones

if the sexual content is about adults and not sexy high schoolers i think everything will be fine

Endorph posted:

lupin's had a wide variety of tones over the years and cagliostro is definitely the mostl ike, 'wacky friendly thief' take on the character. part 2 and part 3 are probably the closest to that style.

what's the visual quality of parts 2 and 3 like?

i don't want to just assume that because they're old it'll be like watching speed racer but animation quality around the area of, say, original 0079 gundam definitely still be something i'd want to save until i'm a bit more invested in the characters and franchise

but idk maybe they look great i wanna know

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 12, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
mobile suit gundam is a pretty good estimate. it's actually animated, but janky. a word to the wise, though: do the dub of part 2, as it's one of those magical retro 90s dubs where they just let the actors run wild with ad-libs, and it suits the tone a lot better.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The animation quality in old Lupin varies a lot. It's kinda hard to say because like, part 2 is the season I'd recommend the most because part 1 tends to be darker and rougher but there's a ton of episodes and some are great and some are... Not. I recommend looking up a watch list maybe, or just go watch the part 2 episode 34 which is either gonna be titled "lupin has become a vampire" or "but your brother was such a nice guy" depending on which titles they're using. It's not like... Good or anything, but it's very, very silly and I recommend watching it blind for reasons.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

sounds like the woman called fujiko mine, lupin the first, and part 5 are the big ones

For old Lupin stuff that's both good and somewhat similar to Cagliostro... that's a pretty tough question, but your best bet might be some of the better OVAs and movies from that era. There's a list of them that has floated around this thread in the past.

But otherwise, yeah, Fujiko Mine is great. Part 4 was the beginning of "modern" Lupin, and I actually liked it a bit more than Part 5, so I would watch both. Part 6 was indeed mediocre.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

part 2 has a really funny dub which covers about half of it, and the rest is official subs which often are very poorly translated

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

what's the visual quality of parts 2 and 3 like?

i don't want to just assume that because they're old it'll be like watching speed racer but animation quality around the area of, say, original 0079 gundam definitely still be something i'd want to save until i'm a bit more invested in the characters and franchise

but idk maybe they look great i wanna know

Part 2 has a ton of different studios and people involved so sometimes you'll get a rough episode, sometimes you'll get something exquisite, and many time it'll be something inbetween. In a way that adds to the charm since the quality varies so much on the writing side of things too so you truly never know what to expect. That said, no shame in just looking up a list of the best Part 2 episodes and going from there!

Part 3 just consistently looks great, there's a lot of talent involved with the animation and they had the resources needed to make it look nice.

Also Part 1 looks pretty good too, the animation quality can be pretty rough but the animation shortcuts taken aren't like what you normally see in anime + the direction is so sharp that it makes it easy to look past any roughness because it's so stylish. The first episode in particular is a real banger, I highly recommend just checking that out and seeing how you feel about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the baseline of part 2 is around 0079 but there's some eps of it that are near the quality of cagliostro

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also, from Part 2 onwards the main theme song is fantastic. Theme song, not OP, because the theme song transcends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8u93EDmQlk

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

does anyone have one of these fabled watch lists? i tried googling for them but all the results are "this is the chronological release order of lupin iii animes" as if they didn't have part numbers telling you exactly what order they came out in lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's really too much Lupin to make a curated watchlist, I think. On the plus side pretty easy to jump in just about anywhere because its mostly episodic as opposed to a billion "to be continued" cliffhangers. The closest analogue to Lupin III I can think of is 007 James Bond movies. Lupin's character is more or less the same across most iterations and then the stories are typically just whatever adventure Lupin and crew happen to be on.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Mister Olympus posted:

mobile suit gundam is a pretty good estimate. it's actually animated, but janky. a word to the wise, though: do the dub of part 2, as it's one of those magical retro 90s dubs where they just let the actors run wild with ad-libs, and it suits the tone a lot better.

Z Gundam was great after the first couple episodes. Very grounded but still full of space stuff.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
help w/ coming-of-age stuff with a focus on Dude's Rock friendships (but not sports series). inspired by watching sarazanmai (and tsuritama way back when).

i've watched like zero "canonical" shows so feel free to suggest something obvious

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

help w/ coming-of-age stuff with a focus on Dude's Rock friendships (but not sports series). inspired by watching sarazanmai (and tsuritama way back when).

i've watched like zero "canonical" shows so feel free to suggest something obvious

FLCL

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

:cheerdoge:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Monolith. posted:

Z Gundam was great after the first couple episodes. Very grounded but still full of space stuff.

the first episode of z gundam is one of the best episodes of anime ever produced

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

does anyone have one of these fabled watch lists? i tried googling for them but all the results are "this is the chronological release order of lupin iii animes" as if they didn't have part numbers telling you exactly what order they came out in lol

The OVA/movie list I saw must have been in an older version of this thread, but here are some I vaguely remember:

The Secret of Mamo (have never actually seen this but it comes up sometimes)
The Fuma Conspiracy
Dead or Alive
Walther P38
Crisis in Tokyo

There are also three tie-in movies to the Woman Called Fujiko Mine:

Jigen's Gravestone
Goemon's Spray of Blood
Fujiko's Lie

For the older series, Part 1 isn't that long so it can be finished pretty easily, and I haven't seen much of Parts 2 or 3, so can't help there.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I've got a list of shows that I want to watch, but very limited viewing time. I'd love input on what I should prioritize next, based on what I've liked so far.

First, here's my backlog of shows:

Gunbuster
Princess Tutu
Diebuster
Samurai Champloo
Kaiba
K-On!
FMA: Brotherhood
Chihayafuru
Hyouka
Attack on Titan
Shirobako
Mob Psycho 100
Girls' Last Tour
A Place Further Than The Universe
Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
Odd Taxi
My Dress-Up Darling
Sonny Boy
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
The Executioner and Her Way of Life
Spy x Family

And next, here's how I felt about the anime I've watched:

Thank you!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I recommend Gunbuster, just because it's quick. 6 episodes and out, by the director of Evangelion.

Diebuster is by the director of FLCL, and since you were eh on that, I'm not sure you'd enjoy it much.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'd prioritize Mob Psycho and Samurai Champloo based on the action shows you liked, also FMA Brotherhood unless you want to hold off on longer shows if you don't have much time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

surf rock posted:

I've got a list of shows that I want to watch, but very limited viewing time. I'd love input on what I should prioritize next, based on what I've liked so far.

First, here's my backlog of shows:

Gunbuster
Princess Tutu
Diebuster
Samurai Champloo
Kaiba
K-On!
FMA: Brotherhood
Chihayafuru
Hyouka
Attack on Titan
Shirobako
Mob Psycho 100
Girls' Last Tour
A Place Further Than The Universe
Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
Odd Taxi
My Dress-Up Darling
Sonny Boy
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
The Executioner and Her Way of Life
Spy x Family

And next, here's how I felt about the anime I've watched:

Thank you!

I would start with Odd Taxi. It's not long and will probably end up in one of your first two columns.

Eizouken is also not long, and as another Yuasa show I would not be surprised if you like it as much as Ping Pong. I liked it more.

It would be fair to guess that Champloo and Mob Psycho might end up in the same column as Bebop and One Punch Man.

FMA is long, but I think it's more universally loved compared to the other long shows on your list.

Of course, your mood at the time also matters... like if you want comedy, Kaguya is one of the best recent shows for that and the only real option on your list. (edit: aside from already-mentioned Eizouken and Mob Psycho)

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 15, 2022