Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Vox Nihili posted:

Biosphere collapse - a lot of animals can't eat our trash and therefore just die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

munce posted:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/businesses-should-prepare-for-risk-of-civil-unrest-from-food-scarcity-11660210202

Wall Street Journal focussing on the important part of imminent food riots - how companies can protect their operations

things could get better in the longer term but we'll be in the short term for the foreseeable future

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MadiHilly/status/1557399822600216577
https://twitter.com/MadiHilly/status/1557399833656303619
https://twitter.com/MadiHilly/status/1557399837330620416
https://twitter.com/MadiHilly/status/1557399841180946433
https://twitter.com/MadiHilly/status/1557399862915776515

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

:hmmyes:

brb

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
a page or two back people were freaking out over how canal locks work and you'll be happy to find out that the canal authority was also concerned about water usage so implemented a holding-tank system that uses clever plumbing and gravity to save 60% of the water going down to refill for the upward trip.

it's incredibly cool engineering that cut water use in 1/3.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

silicone thrills posted:

Is it terrible that on looking at that picture I also thought "wow who the gently caress throws away those nice wood cartons, people pay a lot for those"

Agreed. Once a dumpster diver always a dumpster diver, at least in my case. Might be a little tricky salvaging them atm though.

Fox yeah!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/BueRubner/status/1557671192303210497?t=aQ0QTWM5yVMoKZAC5-wo5A&s=19

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Seconding the need for this on a T-shirt.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Heh, about that boreal tree movement:

"“It was shocking to see trees there. No one knew about them but they were young and growing fast,” said Dial, who first spotted the shadows of the trees on satellite imagery and then took a single-engine plane journey, followed by a five-day hike, to find and study the advancing forest.

“The trees basically hopped over the mountains into the tundra. Going by climate models, this wasn’t supposed to happen for a hundred years or more. And yet it’s happening now.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/10/forests-changes-global-heating-arctic-amazon-studies

It's basically a meme now, "faster than expected".

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1557883801455452160

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
things dont seem that bad yet

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

the oceans on fire again

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
marge, change the channel

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

hopefully this will melt the all the plastic in the great pacific garbage patch together and allow us to recover it as just one big hunk and save the oceans that way!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

global warming actually a far sighted environmental reclamation project to vaporize microplastics

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this has been known for a while now, basically in less than 20 years the exclusion zone got completely reclaimed by nature/wildlife, to the point where it's the healthiest ecosystem in the world just because humans don't go there

the same thing has happened around the fukushima plant too

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Every nuclear mushroom cloud has a silver lining

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Sound like those were some lovely models

i called that one!!

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Can someone please inform the Pacific and the Arctic and all that the democrats just saved civilization and they can stop all this warming business now.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHNNRaGQRJg

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Britain is running out of water

Jose posted:

From the guardian article about the droughts lol

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Topsoil depletion getting, like, zero thrift is the really big bad one.

They didn't ask anyone but go off

It's been suggested to me by several actual MDs over the years, that as a chronically anxious person with muscle tension issues I might benefit from magnesium supplementation. This seems to be true. However, digging into this (when I was like 24, so, early '00s, I may have early posts about this poo poo here) led me to find out that:

* leafy green vegetables are a traditional source of dietary magnesium for the West
* the amount of magnesium in a serving is based on FDA numbers which may not have been updated within my lifetime
* it is thought that poor farming practices have substantially reduced soil magnesium, in turn making traditionally magnesium-rich foods, not that
* there seems to be basically zero data on the actual, current nutritional content of almost anything

this was a :crackping: and one of the first things that made me think "wait if this is completely hosed on the national level and has known health effects but no one is even attempting to understand the problem, then......"

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

thank god they're decommissioning all those nuke plants to use clean green natgas

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

totally guessing this is Peter Kalmus or someone? But lol at reverse GIS

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Shima Honnou posted:

thank god they're decommissioning all those nuke plants to use clean green natgas

God I can't wait until these desert living dumbfucks face the music. 'What do you mean I can't live in a city in the middle of a desert? Why not??"

I don't know why I'm quoting your post. It has a picture of sand in it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

"Anthropcene" seems too cuddly, like you can almost read an implication into it that the "anthro" survives the cene.

I see a lotta hope for the COVID virus and MPX and god knows what else, this isn't the anthropocene, it's the virocene and it always has been

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i just moved to colorado and it seems like A/C is pretty new thing here lol

AC used to be extremely uncommon in Vermont

now all the local HW stores get a huge pallet every couple weeks all summer and they all sell

we have three in our house to make hot nights with 2 small kids tolerable, but I want to look at loving ditching them along with our oil heater for a heat pump and solar, mostly so I can stop buying and smelling loving heating oil. We'll see if the IRA has any poo poo in it that makes it easier for that to actually happen. I have a friend with a heat pump here and he has been surprisingly happy with it even during winter. We have wood stoves as backup, which can fully heat the house in -20F weather no problem (if they are constantly being fed), so I'd be fine with having to deal with some bullshit during the really extreme cold in exchange for not having a god drat 275 gallon heating oil tank occupying a couple cubic yards of useful basement space.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cabbages and Kings posted:

AC used to be extremely uncommon in Vermont

I grew up in the PNW, and no one had a/c up there back then. We had a little window unit for our TV room which was above the garage, but otherwise we cooled the house by opening all of the windows, and running a big window fan in the kitchen, blowing outwards all night. In the morning we would seal up all the windows, and it would be downright frosty until the evening, and even then it wasn't bad, but we spent most of the evening in the TV room.

About 2 or 3 years before we moved away, our furnace went out, and my parents did get an A/C installed, this would have been around y2k, so it was really uncommon back then, no idea what the prevelance is now that the PNW gets heat domed

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

A lot of places that are now getting scorching hot in occasion in North America don't have AC at all.

A lot of public schools in Hawaii don't have AC even though it hits the 90s often, with high humidity.

So yes, I can imagine this.

ok what i meant was "can you imagine the RESPONSE" as in people will freak the gently caress out, "my air-conditioned dead hands" etc etc

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

It's been suggested to me by several actual MDs over the years, that as a chronically anxious person with muscle tension issues I might benefit from magnesium supplementation. This seems to be true. However, digging into this (when I was like 24, so, early '00s, I may have early posts about this poo poo here) led me to find out that:

* leafy green vegetables are a traditional source of dietary magnesium for the West
* the amount of magnesium in a serving is based on FDA numbers which may not have been updated within my lifetime
* it is thought that poor farming practices have substantially reduced soil magnesium, in turn making traditionally magnesium-rich foods, not that
* there seems to be basically zero data on the actual, current nutritional content of almost anything

this was a :crackping: and one of the first things that made me think "wait if this is completely hosed on the national level and has known health effects but no one is even attempting to understand the problem, then......"

got real high last night and found myself thinking about how cool it is that we only ever get the one body during our lifetime so we have no frame of reference for what it's like to not have a bunch of teflon coursing through our veins or what it's like to have a nice wrinkly brain that hasn't been shredded by microplastics/covid. is this ennui a result of my deteriorating material conditions or because i've had a slight magnesium deficiency for ten years?

just a bunch of frogs sitting in a pot on the burner, scouring unreliable memories and wondering if it's always felt like this

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1558050916930043904

https://twitter.com/woodlandbirder/status/1558054458151641088

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Ministry for the Future is 2.99 today on the Kindle

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Truga posted:

this has been known for a while now, basically in less than 20 years the exclusion zone got completely reclaimed by nature/wildlife, to the point where it's the healthiest ecosystem in the world just because humans don't go there

another contender for healthiest ecosystem in the world is the dmz between north and south korea. coincidentally, humans also don't go there

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no that poo poo's fenced and mined up the wazoo, there are no animals there. not to mention it isn't even wide enough for animals to move freely in

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
oh yeah also those tweets about the actual chernobyl death tolls are especially funny in this era of covid turbodeath which is being completely ignored by everyone

turns out you can murder as many people as you want as long as you make it difficult to see and spread it over a wide enough area that it looks like it's an uncommon event from any local point of view. i mean it was already pretty clear that was the case. it's how capitalism deals with undesirables like the homeless, after all. but it's good to know it's just as easy when your target is the general population

anyway i'm sure this doesn't have any implications for climate change

Truga posted:

no that poo poo's fenced and mined up the wazoo, there are no animals there. not to mention it isn't even wide enough for animals to move freely in

seriously? not sure where i've read that, then

speng31b
May 8, 2010

deferred consequences aren't even real

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

totally guessing this is Peter Kalmus or someone? But lol at reverse GIS

a CEO posted that pic to LinkedIn after a round of layoffs he did over zoom, he posted about how it was so hard to fire all those people lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005