Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

sexpig by night posted:

yea, see, this, this is real pervert poo poo, real sick freak poo poo you only say if your brain is too poisoned by the idea of the individual being the ultimate power

You’re even worse than apropos of nothing is at reading comprehension, congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

At least a couple million more people in the US are going to die of infectious disease before any revolution happens.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

seems a lot of people who don't read the covid thread have strong feelings about what they imagine the covid thread is like.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wb apropos :kimchi:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Tbf the real annoying thing with COVID organizing is when people insist you take off a mask before talking with them. I'll do it it but I hate it.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Atrocious Joe posted:

At least a couple million more people in the US are going to die of infectious disease before any revolution happens.

Just wait until the inevitable virus with a 80% + fatality rate shows up in the next decade or so

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'we can't do anything until the working class 'adapts' to the pandemic by not having any contact with each other physically' isn't a meaningful statement just because you follow it with 'well actually I want the pandemic to be over' as if that's some radical view

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Reading in person is definitely better than reading online with others is better than reading alone. It's always easier to learn something with other people than by yourself.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

'we can't do anything until the working class 'adapts' to the pandemic by not having any contact with each other physically'

I definitely said those words you put in quotation marks, I said them exactly like that, bingo

I would like leftist organizations to insist on masking, seems like a low bar to start with, most can't clear it

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Atrocious Joe posted:

Tbf the real annoying thing with COVID organizing is when people insist you take off a mask before talking with them. I'll do it it but I hate it.

Who the hell asks you to do that

Also welcome back Apropos

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

Who the hell asks you to do that

it's a joke about getting got by law enforcement

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

nymphenburger. Also, where do I look up nacht der amazonen?
i was just googling around

it's also weirdly obscure. like conventional wisdom seems to prefer the nazis as this "disciplined," totalitarian force and not a bunch of mafioso sleazebags that they were

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Aug 12, 2022

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think we have a lot of good discussion in the covid thread that's helped me put theory in concrete terms, e.g., the cdc response to covid as prototypical of bourgeois institutions existing to protect Capital and not the people, or the relationship between politicians and capitalists and of both to the means of production meaning this would always have happened. it's a good source of practical risk management information. sometimes a poster gets too anxious or obsessive about covid, and the thread helps talk them down. and sometimes it's just a nice place to post about statistics. that doesn't mean it's a substitute for meeting irl, but personally I use the internet as a weird space for learning and exploring ideas anyway.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

its possible to defend stalin and also be normal

but the trap... the trap!!!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

the covid thread is a great example of the failings of individualist focused societies, where after generations of the collapse of the state as a force that can provide good and aid, and now multiple years of its response to a pandemic being overtly saying 'eh, maybe you should die for the DOW, did you think of that?' the best solution people come up with is 'well I wear a full body gimp suit and gas mask to Walmart to protect myself and yell at people who have to leave their homes still'. Individualism is the death of a society.

it owns

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I'm glad the marxist solution to the pandemic happens to line up with the Biden administration. Real lucky break there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol does the dsa even mandate masks

Morbus
May 18, 2004

American leftist "organizing" is basically akin to liberal "protesting". 90% of the time it's just an excuse to socialize or be seen while patting yourself on the back and doing nothing. The rest of the time it's an op.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

DSA doesn't mandate anything. Even the ban on being "under the discipline of any self-defined democratic-centralist organization" is more of a suggestion.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Well, MY kokoro wish is that my online comrades would fight less and get along more... :smithcloud:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

gradenko_2000 posted:

indoor events generally require masks but it's up to the individual organizers behind them. there's an argument ongoing right now about whether the next convention should be completely in person or hybrid, and in general my least favorite people are pooh-poohing the hybrid option for various reasons

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MLSM posted:

You’re even worse than apropos of nothing is at reading comprehension, congratulations

lmao ive seen them contribute 10x more to this thread than you ever have

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I had never heard of this before but its peak capitalism. East Germany developed a unbreakable glass that the west wouldn't buy because how can you push sales without planned obsolescence.
Even after the collapse of the GDR when the patent expired they just sold the factory for parts because no one wanted to produce them.

https://twitter.com/CasparShaller/status/1558072642053279745

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_xABUPF0r4

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
looking at wikipedia, the west also had it, gorillaglass, but used it exclusively for racecars until the iphone was created

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
it's always weird when people are like listen, you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette, rome wasn't built in a day, come on you apes do you wanna live forever, but only ever in favor of loosening or ignoring covid precautions. somehow the logistical difficulties of making it possible to call in to a meeting are always what we sacrifice safety to avoid, rather than a sacrifice we make to avoid getting sick

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

apropos to nothing posted:

id also say that re: the discussion yall had earlier about reading marx, you should read with people, and not people online.

i don't see what's wrong with people online making you understand marxist ideas better. i live in a very small town and i don't have many opportunies to talk to stuff through irl.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

listening to the red menace podcast before actually going into the text myself (NOT red scare, red menace) podcast made it much easier to get a handle on stuff when i first read lenin

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ferrinus posted:

it's always weird when people are like listen, you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette, rome wasn't built in a day, come on you apes do you wanna live forever, but only ever in favor of loosening or ignoring covid precautions. somehow the logistical difficulties of making it possible to call in to a meeting are always what we sacrifice safety to avoid, rather than a sacrifice we make to avoid getting sick

i think the issue is the effort to maintain defense takes constant effort, and covid isn't going away, whereas taking the risk of 'giving up' is kinda passive and you get to carry on with 'life' as long as you don't die or get crippled. They're not equivalent in terms of mental stress. For most people. If you're an anxious person running scenarios in your head all the time then yes the virus itself can become an unbearable threat. But most people's mental defenses tend towards 'it won't happen to me' in order to get through life.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

But how am I supposed to get people to follow me from my personal charm if we’re not in person and maskless? Just like Ilych of old!

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 17:53 on Aug 12, 2022

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think the issue is the effort to maintain defense takes constant effort, and covid isn't going away, whereas taking the risk of 'giving up' is kinda passive and you get to carry on with 'life' as long as you don't die or get crippled. They're not equivalent in terms of mental stress. For most people. If you're an anxious person running scenarios in your head all the time then yes the virus itself can become an unbearable threat. But most people's mental defenses tend towards 'it won't happen to me' in order to get through life.

that's understandable and inevitable, but if you're putting together a reading group or a strategy meeting or something like that then you're de facto excluding the people who haven't made (or, due to health issues, literally can't make) that compromise. so, if you discard online or hybrid deliberation out of hand you're also discarding at least a few of your comrades. obviously you can't table or canvass digitally but there's a lot of stuff you can and therefore should do at least partially online

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

unwantedplatypus posted:

But how am I supposed to get people to follow me from my personal charm if we’re not in person and maskless? Just like Ilych of old?

i've literally seen arguments like "wow the bolsheviks did illegal activities within a brutal police state and yet you're too scared just to catch the sniffles???" as though lenin himself didn't flee the country and organize via physical mail for a spell

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

tristeham posted:

i don't see what's wrong with people online making you understand marxist ideas better. i live in a very small town and i don't have many opportunies to talk to stuff through irl.

Yeah, this is the boat that I'm in. Like, I've tried looking for groups in the nearest big towns but if groups are out there, they don't look for people online. Not surprising, it's a pretty conservative area, especially when it comes to employment so I don't blame anyone for not putting themselves out there. I'd be looking at a 2-3 hour drive each way into the Twin Cities metro to actually find an in person group and while that sounds fun in theory, the realities of my own 9 to 5 make it functionally impossible.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Don’t talk about anything you wouldn’t want to own up to in court over any online platform. That being said, the surveillance state exists and I don’t think it’s possible to hide from it entirely. Abandoning the idea of education or some organizing online is hobbling yourself.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

apropos to nothing posted:

when stalinist ideas are put forward though im gonna attack them politically...

if people wanna argue that stalin doesnt represent the crystalization of a reactionary turn in the soviet state from where it started, theyre free to do so. people were discussing abortion/gay rights in the ussr and its actually one of the reasons that the russian revolution is the greatest event to ever happen in human history that the early bolsheviks and soviets did more than any other country of the time to ensure rights for women, lgbtq, and oppressed people. its beyond criminal then that the first ever workers state abandoned many of its principles when they criminalized those things later.

there are a lot of very different stalinist ideas. i'm entirely in agreement that the turn away from personal freedoms in issues of sexuality/bodily autonomy etc in the 30s were bad. but do you have the same problems with his expansion of lenin's nature conservancy efforts people were talking about earlier? it's just dumb and weird to storm in and insist that ACTUALLY we can discard anything and everything done in the USSR from 1928-1952 or whatever because Stalin was a jerk

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DeimosRising posted:

there are a lot of very different stalinist ideas. i'm entirely in agreement that the turn away from personal freedoms in issues of sexuality/bodily autonomy etc in the 30s were bad. but do you have the same problems with his expansion of lenin's nature conservancy efforts people were talking about earlier? it's just dumb and weird to storm in and insist that ACTUALLY we can discard anything and everything done in the USSR from 1928-1952 or whatever because Stalin was a jerk

quote:

I have discussed this in my essay "On Practice". To be one-sided means not to look at problems all-sidedly, for example, to understand only China but not Japan, only the Communist Party but not the Kuomintang, only the proletariat but not the bourgeoisie, only the peasants but not the landlords, only the favourable conditions but not the difficult ones, only the past but not the future, only individual parts but not the whole, only the defects but not the achievements, only the plaintiff's case but not the defendant's, only underground revolutionary work but not open revolutionary work, and so on. In a word, it means not to understand the characteristics of both aspects of a contradiction. This is what we mean by looking at a problem one-sidedly. Or it may be called seeing the part but not the whole, seeing the trees but not the forest.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

hm i'm going to have to look up the chinese on that one, did mao actually use the english idiom "missing the forest for the trees" or is that a loose translation. but yeah

edit: god drat he really did. the original text is "只看见树木,不看见森林" which is pretty literally "only see the trees, do not see the forest

DeimosRising has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Aug 12, 2022

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

unwantedplatypus posted:

Don’t talk about anything you wouldn’t want to own up to in court over any online platform. That being said, the surveillance state exists and I don’t think it’s possible to hide from it entirely. Abandoning the idea of education or some organizing online is hobbling yourself.

A really, really good book about digital capitalism and the insane totalitarianism of it is exposed in The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power by Shoshona Zubuff https://www.amazon.com/Age-Surveillance-Capitalism-Future-Frontier/dp/1610395697/ref=monarch_sidesheet

It’s an exposition & critique of digital/surveillance capitalism the same way Marx’s Capital was an exposition/critique of industrial capitalism. It owns but its terrifying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shiroc posted:

Needing to debate Stalin as a proxy for the value of Marxism is a trap no matter what because you're ultimately trying to prove if the decisions made in a different society with different conditions were the right ones or not. The particular alliances and actions that Lenin took in the Russian Revolution are unlikely to be able to directly apply to what would be happening in a revolutionary moment in the modern era.

Not to say to discard the lessons of the past but Marxism needs to be treated as a living mode of analyzing the current material conditions in order to figure out how to move forward, not something to endlessly cycle on debates from the more and more distant past.
This feels relevant to me for a lot of reasons, but one is that last night, my spouse asked me if any US president, even Lincoln, could be considered good. My reply was that history isn't about sorting the good guys from the bad guys, it's a process of cause and effect where social conflicts come to a head and resolve themselves. (It seems like this way of looking at history has become very common, as an outcome of a social media culture that makes people feel like they have to have The Correct Take on everything for the sake of their own personal moral standing.)

Ardent Communist posted:

i agree with mao that stalin was 70/30 good/bad in his decisions, but that's a discussion to be had between communists. if you don't have the moral courage to defend stalin against liberals, despite it's unpopularity, you've already conceded in your own mind that communism is comparable to fascism.

hence, "stalin did nothing wrong"
Well, every time I've been in a position to defend Stalin or even the USSR at large to a liberal, it was an online argument about current issues like US imperialism or single-payer healthcare. So I feel like if I'm defending Stalin in an argument about the Russian invasion of Ukraine, I've already conceded the framing of the argument and hosed myself over.

That said, I don't really know how to defend Stalin while also being normal. If anyone cares to explain it, I would really like to know, actually! But I don't think I've ever been in a situation where Stalin's legacy was brought up as anything but a troll, so the answer was to refuse to get sidetracked, call them out as hysterical, and refocus the actual argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
how often are you people getting into arguments about stalin that aren't also on this forum?