Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Northernlion and some some other streamers did a couple co-op vids recently and they're pretty entertaining, never would have heard of it otherwise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ06XvzhXOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Gamerofthegame posted:

I know Hades is kind of a unicorn, but I keep comparing lamb to it very unfavorably. The fact that you can't choose your starting weapon compounded with the fact that only the sword is actually good is really killing vibes.
I think the sword is solidly mid. I would somewhat prefer axe or dagger and waaay prefer claws over sword

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol this negative review of Plate UP

quote:

This game identifies as roguelike / roguelite and it is 100% nothing of the sense. There are no permanent upgrades, nothing caries over, there is no upgrade system with rogue like capabilities. You can pick useless upgrades during matches that wont carry over. There is not online match making, you can only use things like discord to find people to play with. There are no permanent upgrades regardless of what you do, there are no rogue like functions. This game succeeds on the basis of having friends / couch co-op. Most of the reviews are bots as well.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I kind of appreciate the irony of roguelike becoming warped to mean absolutely the opposite

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

victrix posted:

I kind of appreciate the irony of roguelike becoming warped to mean absolutely the opposite

It's literally a nightmare.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Rogue's one save permadeath design philosophy only ever was about making sure players had to actually engage with stuff like traps and curses. It not having metaprogression was just it being a very old game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Somfin posted:

Rogue's one save permadeath design philosophy only ever was about making sure players had to actually engage with stuff like traps and curses. It not having metaprogression was just it being a very old game.

That's like saying Rogue not having 64v64 pvp servers in VR mode is due to its age. I mean, sure, but it's still good to be able to see the merits of a game as it was. New traditional RLs are still trickling out, so those old mechanics still have appeal it seems.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Alina is really cool. It does feel like Slay the Spire with a couple extra wrinkles.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think I hit a strange bug in Cult of the Lamb, where a follower asks me to perform a ritual (that I already can do) as a quest, then the quest IMMEDIATELY fails for a -40 or whatever. Happened to me twice in a row, it's kinda annoying.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
I've been treating Subnautica as a roguelike on hard-core mode. It gets kind of annoying when you die 16hrs into a game. All this just to see if I can build a base in the lava biome without the big boy blowing it up.

Also going through and trying to clock the achieves on the latest isaac expansion. Annoying to be missing completion marks again.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dissenter hosed off right as I built the drat prison, what a bastard.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
I haven't been keeping up with the thread btw. What's the consensus on lamb? Worth buying? I still haven't played hades. Just reluctant for some reason.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
First meaty update to Zorbus this year:

https://zorbus.itch.io/zorbus/devlog/415406/release-55

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Burt Gherkin posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the thread btw. What's the consensus on lamb? Worth buying? I still haven't played hades. Just reluctant for some reason.

I hit a bug or two when playing myself, and looking at the Steam discussions there definitely seem to be more.

Hades is probably the better play regardless, but I'd definitely play that first, while they're fixing the CoL bugs.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Somfin posted:

metaprogression is usually bad in this genre and there are numerous reasons not to include it beyond technical issues

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Megazver posted:

I think I hit a strange bug in Cult of the Lamb, where a follower asks me to perform a ritual (that I already can do) as a quest, then the quest IMMEDIATELY fails for a -40 or whatever. Happened to me twice in a row, it's kinda annoying.

This was happening to me when I played Thursday and seemed to get fixed yesterday by one of the updates they put out, if you’re on PC

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Burt Gherkin posted:

buy hades first

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Don't buy Hades since it's a rogue-lite-like-ish, buy Hades since it's a great game by it's own merits.

Then come back and express your interpretation of the Berlin definition, we still need to hash that over a bit more.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hades is good, play it if you haven’t.

Lamb is also good, but still has some weird bugs here and there. I had a building straight up disappear and I had to rebuild it. I read that some people had their cooking pot disappear and they couldn’t rebuild it, effectively dooming the save.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Metaprogression sucks rear end but it doesn't change the core mode of gameplay that defines genre. Not being a turn-based game with very small turns makes something not a roguelike. Metaprogression just makes it a roguelike at a significant quality deficit.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Hades has the most glowing recommendation you can give a game: it’s good enough that even if you think some parts of the game are bad you will still enjoy it and not regret playing it. This makes it a really safe recommendation. The only exception is I probably wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who universally skips every story bit in games they play.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

another reason not to play it is if you don't like games

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really hated all of the meta progression and the number of bullshit currencies they have you juggle between runs in Hades, and I am of the opinion that it's nowhere near the perfect 10/10 game everyone says that it is but even I think that it's really good game that I definitely don't regret playing.
The character banter is very good, the visuals are gorgeous and the combat is solid and the itemization does allow for good and varied builds. It's a good rear end game, especially for it's price.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Metaprogression sucks rear end but it doesn't change the core mode of gameplay that defines genre. Not being a turn-based game with very small turns makes something not a roguelike. Metaprogression just makes it a roguelike at a significant quality deficit.

Downwell is a roguelike

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of good rear end games that suffer because of their metaprogression. I picked up Dead Cells again and got hooked on it again because there's so much interesting content in there but I'm having some problems at BC2, the lack of full flask refills is really hurting me.
Anyone got any advice besides "don't get hit lol"?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

nrook posted:

This makes it a really safe recommendation. The only exception is I probably wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who universally skips every story bit in games they play.

Man I wish someone had said this to me at any point before I bought it. It's not bad or anything but if you don't care about the story / characters / aesthetic it's not exactly "play for 100s of hours GotY" material.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Downwell is a roguelike

Downwell's not a roguelike. It is, however, a fantastic illustration of how a lot of the poo poo publishers call a "roguelike" because they figured it would sell 1.4% more copies that way are more properly descended from classic arcade games, where things like "you lose your progress when you die" was such an unremarkable assumption that it didn't even need a name.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Don’t get hit 4head

Also take curses, cursed chests give stats and “15% increased damage applied multiplicatively” is good enough to accept basically any risk. Similarly, you can run past enemies you think would be easy to safely kill so you can go back later if you find a cursed chest.

Dead cells is a funny game because I love the moment-to-moment gameplay and I hate basically everything else about the game’s structure. The metaprogression isn’t even so bad, what I really dislike is the overall strategy of a single run. But I’ll probably keep coming back to it nonetheless because the game feels so good to play.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Downwell's not a roguelike. It is, however, a fantastic illustration of how a lot of the poo poo publishers call a "roguelike" because they figured it would sell 1.4% more copies that way are more properly descended from classic arcade games, where things like "you lose your progress when you die" was such an unremarkable assumption that it didn't even need a name.

HAH! beat me to it. This conversation made me think of Puppygames, whose entire shtick for decades has been modern arcade games - apparently there've made new games that have somehow gone under my radar, scandalous. But yea, roguelike got turned into the buzzword of the day and it's kinda now a red flag for me; if I see something described as a roguelike deckbuilder yadda yadda my eyes instantly glaze over and I know to move on, it's probably just pulpy crap that's at best incrementally better than the actually quality title from five years ago.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of roguelike deckbuilders, what the gently caress happened to Monster Train? It's like the best game in it's genre and they only released one medium sized DLC for it and then it's been radio silence ever since.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

RabidWeasel posted:

Man I wish someone had said this to me at any point before I bought it. It's not bad or anything but if you don't care about the story / characters / aesthetic it's not exactly "play for 100s of hours GotY" material.

This is absolutely Supergiant's thing though. Like, every game they've done is 'pretty good to great gameplay, *excellent* story/characters/aesthetic'. It's absolutely perfect for me but anyone who doesn't care about that stuff needs to stay completely away.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:hmmyes:

Perhaps chess, then, is a sort of competitive multiplayer roguelike.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of roguelike deckbuilders, what the gently caress happened to Monster Train? It's like the best game in it's genre and they only released one medium sized DLC for it and then it's been radio silence ever since.

dunno, maybe they are working on something new.

i dont really feel like monster train is lacking content as it is

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally got around to trying out Shattered Pixel Dungeon and it is kicking the poo poo out of me, I have yet to get a character past DL03

Reminds me fondly of my early days with Nethack

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

The devs have apparently been working hard on their upcoming game instead, which appears to be very different from Monster Train.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of good rear end games that suffer because of their metaprogression. I picked up Dead Cells again and got hooked on it again because there's so much interesting content in there but I'm having some problems at BC2, the lack of full flask refills is really hurting me.
Anyone got any advice besides "don't get hit lol"?

I mean you really have to not get hit lol. Shields are good -- they're not mandatory but it's definitely worth getting comfortable with the parry timing so you can use a good one if it drops. I basically ignored them until around BC2 and now while I don't use them every run, it feels good not having to basically pass up on a quarter of the item pool. Also in BC2 you've got a pretty significant boost to the power level of items you pick up, as you progress through the game your damage output outscales increased enemy health and you'd be surprised how many dangerous enemies you can kill before they even get a chance to attack. Developing a good instinct for when you can go on the full offensive is really valuable.

But there are a lot of different ways to play. What are your favorite weapons and powers? What mutations do you usually take?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Jack Trades posted:

Remember back when games eventually were done being made instead of being upgraded incrementally for years?

It's that. That happened. They finished. It's done. The game is complete.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They’re making a new game!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

:hmmyes:

Perhaps chess, then, is a sort of competitive multiplayer roguelike.

Chess can't be a roguelike, it's not a platformer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Prism posted:

Remember back when games eventually were done being made instead of being upgraded incrementally for years?

It's that. That happened. They finished. It's done. The game is complete.

i wonder if there are steam reviews calling monster train "abandoned" or a "dead game"