Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Even more importantly, the PS4 was severely hamstrung by the non-SSD it used. So, yeah, it could process poo poo but loading a level took ages. I felt like MH:W was unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Another look at Spider-Man

https://youtu.be/S5LJ8A5epXw

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

rpcs3 works way better on this than i expected

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Protocol7 posted:

You won't get anywhere near the level of fidelity of the PS5 or Series X, I don't think the Deck really supports raytracing, let alone at playable framerates.

IIRC there isn't raytracing support in the linux drivers shipped with the Deck now, but the Windows drivers do let you use the RDNA2 raytracing cores that are present.

It's not very fast though, so when Digital Foundry did it they were running 540p and sometimes lower in supported games.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dramicus posted:

In case anyone was curious. I started the decryption of Spider-man on my desktop and Steam deck at the same time, and the deck took roughly twice as long to do it.
How long? Would you say it's not worth preloading if you have to decrypt anyways? It took a little over a half hour for me to download--figuring out what I should do in the future.

Dramicus posted:

Spider-Man works well at 40 hz. ... Actually, I might recommend 45 hz because the game has a dynamic resolution setting for 45 fps.
Huh, DF recommended running at 30 since it couldn't do 40 locked even at low settings. So that's not the case?

Also I have Spiderman installed on an A1 SD card. Would this game significantly benefit from a U3 or even the internal NVMe? I figured since it was a PS4 title originally it wouldn't matter so much.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 13, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

parasyte posted:

IIRC there isn't raytracing support in the linux drivers shipped with the Deck now, but the Windows drivers do let you use the RDNA2 raytracing cores that are present.

It's not very fast though, so when Digital Foundry did it they were running 540p and sometimes lower in supported games.

Oh neat. Just a case of what's in the current kernel for SteamOS for drivers or...?

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

So how big can we go on a monitor with this thing?

I'd like to get a sizeable widescreen for work but it'd be great if I could also plug in the deck. I have been running it to my 46" tv and I'll notice some pixel tearing and weird graphical glitches on certain games, like FF7 or Stray. But then Sekiro looks perfect.

Is there any reason to assume I wouldn't see similar performance on a 36" ultra wide?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

untzthatshit posted:

So how big can we go on a monitor with this thing?

I'd like to get a sizeable widescreen for work but it'd be great if I could also plug in the deck. I have been running it to my 46" tv and I'll notice some pixel tearing and weird graphical glitches on certain games, like FF7 or Stray. But then Sekiro looks perfect.

Is there any reason to assume I wouldn't see similar performance on a 36" ultra wide?

It's the resolution that matters, not the screen size.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Quixzlizx posted:

Sounds like something someone with a small screen would say.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bum the Sad posted:

Sounds like something someone with a small screen would say.

Says the guy with a tiny deck

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Quixzlizx posted:

See thread title.

I'm eyeballing a 3440x1440. So not quite 4k, mostly I want the ultra wide screen. But thats still a bit of a step up from my 1080p tv screen so Im mostly wondering if it'll exacerbate some of the graphical glitches I'm already seeing or if a higher resolution but smaller screen kinda evens out?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

untzthatshit posted:

See thread title.

I'm eyeballing a 3440x1440. So not quite 4k, mostly I want the ultra wide screen. But thats still a bit of a step up from my 1080p tv screen so Im mostly wondering if it'll exacerbate some of the graphical glitches I'm already seeing or if a higher resolution but smaller screen kinda evens out?

Even 1080p is pushing it, considering the Deck is natively 800p. You could always scale down the display res on your monitor and see how ugly it looks.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok I think I'm burnt out on Vampire Survivors, now should I use this $600 machine to play some of the triple a games I bought, or some old Gamecube games I've played several times?

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 13, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How long? Would you say it's not worth preloading if you have to decrypt anyways? It took a little over a half hour for me to download--figuring out what I should do in the future.

It took the Steam deck about15 minutes to decrypt.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Huh, DF recommended running at 30 since it couldn't do 40 locked even at low settings. So that's not the case?

Also I have Spiderman installed on an A1 SD card. Would this game significantly benefit from a U3 or even the internal NVMe? I figured since it was a PS4 title originally it wouldn't matter so much.

It occasionally drops below 45 but its pretty infrequent. Also I'm running it off the internal NVME with dynamic resolution set to 60fps (i think it makes it more aggressive, but not 100% sure) and FSR 2.0 on. Anyway judging by the smoothness, absolutely run it at 40-45hz. Its way better than 30.

Edit:

I've done a little more fiddling and here are my settings for a pretty stable 45fps when swinging around the city or it will be a locked 40 if you want.

Texture quality: med (looks like a ps3 game on low)
texture filtering: trilinear (don't bump this up, it seems to have a big effect)

Shadow quality: low
AO : off
SSR : off

LOD: low
Traffic: very low
Crowds: very low
hair: very low (but this probably only comes into play for cut-scenes, so it's probably safe to put to medium or something)
weather: low

all camera effects: off
motion blur : 10
FOV: -15 (this reduces the amount of things on screen, so it should actually positively impact the FPS)
Film grain : 0 (probably doesn't affect performance, but I don't like it)

Then under display
Vsync: on
Upscaling: AMD FSR 2.0
Dynamic Resolution: 60

Then another thing that I've been testing, which I think might help, but I'm not 100 sure yet, is to set the GPU clocks to 1200 or 1300 in the steam quicksettings menu. with this off the GPU clocks go from 750-1050 on average, but if you lock it to something like 1200, it should always make sure the GPU has the most power budget compared to the CPU. This will raise temps a bit though from 75 to 82 or so. But take this part with a grain of salt, I'm not 100% sure its resulting in more stable framerates or not yet.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 13, 2022

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Opopanax posted:

Ok I think I'm burnt out on Vampire Survivors, now should I use this $600 machine to play some of the triple a games I bought, or some old Gamecube games I've played several times?

I have some newish games to start/finish that I could certainly complete on the deck, but I instead installed Wild Arms 1, 2, and 3 tonight. So there is my answer.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ragequit posted:

I have some newish games to start/finish that I could certainly complete on the deck, but I instead installed Wild Arms 1, 2, and 3 tonight. So there is my answer.

yes
yes
no

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

wild arms 3 is the ONLY wild arms game installed on my deck :colbert:

(i know it sucks, but i wanted to give it a second chance after dropping it 15 years ago)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Protocol7 posted:

Oh neat. Just a case of what's in the current kernel for SteamOS for drivers or...?

They are slowly hacking away at it upstream: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/6076

But there aren't many games that actually implement it. Control should work in the latest version.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After about 2 months I feel like this thing is one the coolest devices I've ever owned in my life.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

after sorting out my wifi issues, PS5 remote play's perfect on the deck especially for an RPG like Persona 5 Royal... awesome thing is that the deck pulls 8W doing streaming so battery life is great. chiaki on the deck supports HEVC hardware decoding so setting bandwidth to 30Mbps/1080p60 basically gets image quality that's indistinguishable from playing a game locally - probably better given the better hardware on the PS5

this raises interesting questions about whether i want to get games like Soul Hacker 2 on the PS5 and remote play it or buy it on steam and play it locally on the deck. any modern game seems to use a minimum of 15W to run reasonably well

i should mention that i use my deck pretty much only at home (barring a vacation i took last month)

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 13, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I was worried about proton compatibility being worse than advertised, but it's actually much better than I expected. I've installed and was able to run anything I threw at it so far.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i still had fairly regular issues i've had to put up with or work around on proton 6. generally nothing major, just small annoyances

but since 7 released it's been such a good experience

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

baram. posted:

rpcs3 works way better on this than i expected

What have you been playing!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

wild arms 3 is the ONLY wild arms game installed on my deck :colbert:

(i know it sucks, but i wanted to give it a second chance after dropping it 15 years ago)

I am also giving it a second chance after trying it at release 20 years ago. I don't remember a single thing about it other than the neat intro where the party meets for the first time in chaos on a train and then you pick which backstory to play.

I fired it up for a second to confirm if launched and it looks great. Deck remains supreme.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Wild Arms is just like Breath of Fire, in that I played one later title on the PS2 and loved the hell out of it only to later discover its universally regarded as the 'bad one' by fans.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Breath of Fire V! It sure had some weird systems, but it was leagues better than the formulaic ones that preceded it. IIRC it had some sort of 'true ending' that was a PITA to get... Maybe I'll emulate that next!

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I have a slightly gritty feeling left stick a few weeks after receiving the deck. Is there a trick to it, or is it worth trying to send it back?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

dragon quarter isn't bad, it's just very different from what bof3 and 4 were. I can understand not necessarily wanting something different after how good those games were though

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Kwolok posted:

Steam did use its monopoly to sell at a loss, sure. I am not really an idealogue. Generally I hate monopolies because they tend to just gently caress everything over. Valve doesn't seem that way so I don't really care cause the net result is good. If valve starts doing dickish things with its monopoly then I'd say its bad. But really I only care about bad things when they are bad and not when they are ideologically dangerous and maybe could be bad.

Valve owns. The PC gaming sphere was literally better before epic game store, soooo

You can run EGS and GOG on steam deck. So the ecosystems not technically a monopoly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Defenistrator posted:

You can run EGS and GOG on steam deck. So the ecosystems not technically a monopoly.

Can you launch Epic games through the Steam launcher? I've never been able to get that to work for most EGS games on a regular pc (so as to use custom controller configs).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 13, 2022

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

There's a plugin for heroic launcher that generates executable scripts that can be added as non-steam games. It can also automatically generate shortcuts with the proper art (like Emudeck), but I've never been able to get that part to work.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Rinkles posted:

Can you launch Epic games through the Steam launcher? I've never been able to get that to work for most EGS games on a regular pc (so as to use custom controller configs).

1. Yea add epic launcher installer into steam via Add a non-steam game, and in properties, set compatibility mode to Proton 7. Install it.
2. Open properties again and change the link to point to where epic launcher exe is. It's by default in home/deck/.local/share/steam/steamapps/compatdata/3382438243/pfx/drive_c/program files... etc

You can then switch to game mode and open epic launcher from your library and install/play games through epic launcher.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

shrike82 posted:

after sorting out my wifi issues, PS5 remote play's perfect on the deck

How do you set that up?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What have you been playing!

i played a few minutes of tales of graces f.

sigher posted:

How do you set that up?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tl4ztc/how_to_set_up_ps4ps5_remote_play_on_steam_deck/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a way to have multiple user accounts on the Deck so that they can have separate save files and such, without different Steam accounts? I haven’t been able to construct the right Google query to find out about anything but multiple Steam accounts.

E: also, is there a way to keep it logged in on a PC and the Deck at the same time?

Also also, how do I tell the Steam app that it can install Windows games on the Deck remotely? It sees it as a Linux target and doesn’t let me install anything that doesn’t have a Linux version.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 13, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

6 days after paying for a Deck, Valve finally decide to box it up and ship it, should be here Wednesday.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Hey gang. I just put 5 bucks down for one of these things. I haven't PC gamed since like...early 2000s.

They got age of empires on this?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

After about 2 months I feel like this thing is one the coolest devices I've ever owned in my life.
Definitely my favorite game console at this point

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

Hey gang. I just put 5 bucks down for one of these things. I haven't PC gamed since like...early 2000s.

They got age of empires on this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SQA69Olln0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
This thing really does invite tinkering and I love how open it is. I wanted to use it on a wifi network that blocks access to Steam and after a bunch of googling and terminal work I was able to get it to automatically connect to a VPN on that wifi network only. Game mode even replaces the wifi icon with a globe when you're connected to a VPN! I also managed to download and compile SRB2 Kart, a Linux fan game that will never have a Steam release, and it works flawlessly. I'm blown away by the possibilities.

Other than messing around with the terminal the only game I've put any time into so far is Webbed which is super good and super cute but I've only had it for a few days.