Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think if you're sick for idk two weeks they want to see some sort of evidence that you have something serious and I 100% guarantee HR monitor sickness stats to look for patterns so idk, maybe it ends up the same?

lol, if you're sick for 2 weeks in the US without going back to work you usually get fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

lol two weeks

here it's mostly "you don't get sick time at all," "any sick time requires a doctor's note," or "any sick time beyond 2ish days requires a doctor's note"

I've seen people go off for like 6 months on full pay, think that was someone that got sepsis which was really nasty.

what makes me lol is that if you're sick when you log it you have to put the general cause because it's some PeopleSoft default field and one is "substance abuse" which, lol, "too drunk to work" I should do it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

every time I hear about America I can't quite believe it but somehow it's true!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

yes officer, i need a full write up about the theft of my internet link
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1558119022566248449

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zamujasa posted:

any paid time off is time where you are getting paid for not working. zeroing it rather than capping it ensures that your employees do not get paid for not working. seems pretty simple to me

seems like a great way to ensure everyone celebrates their almost-workiversary with a long vacation

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

distortion park posted:

Seems like you have to work a lot longer for the gov than to get the same or better deal in the private sector, glad to see American's tax dollars are being put to work efficiently

eeeeeh

if you go straight to figgieland out of college and manage your retirement investments well you can probably beat fers. the fers pension and ability to keep health insurance after retirement at stable prices is pretty good and hate to get outside of fedgov. the number of holidays you get on top of your annual leave accrual is also hard to beat if you're in industry.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/my-big-coin-founder-convicted-cryptocurrency-fraud-scheme

it's always the most low-brow cons, like the guy was just going around making poo poo up and 6 million dollars worth of rubes did fuckin zero followup whatsoever. Dude's like "yeah, mastercard partnership, vault fulla gold and a balance sheet fulla commodities behind it, accepted everywhere and you can exchange it for anything" fuckin out came the money from these idiots

so what i'm getting from this is that if this guy had been upfront about how his coins weren't backed by anything tangible like modern crypto does (this was 5 years ago, after all), he'd be 6 million richer and not hiring a lawyer right now?

e: oh wait so he's been convicted already and is awaiting sentencing. alright so he'd be 6 million richer and probably have a bigger house than his future home

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

so what i'm getting from this is that if this guy had been upfront about how his coins weren't backed by anything tangible like modern crypto does (this was 5 years ago, after all), he'd be 6 million richer and not hiring a lawyer right now?

e: oh wait so he's been convicted already and is awaiting sentencing. alright so he'd be 6 million richer and probably have a bigger house than his future home

Well yeah it's not so much that his dumb rear end made up a bunch of poo poo because that's common, it's that he was really fuckin dumb about making it up. Just had to say it was all pending and TBD etc because fantastic future earnings are what all that bullshit trades on

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
yeah, many US employers provide zero paid sick days or vacation days. they often merely laugh at anyone who requests unpaid vacation time and pitch a fit if someone gets sick and has to take an unpaid sick day (and sometimes fire the person). they often require the sick person to find someone willing to switch shifts with them. reading about all these sane countries mandating paid vacation/sick time sounds downright utopic

i cannot believe what i wrote it!

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

heros like him paved the way for the spectacularly idiotic scams we enjoy today

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midjack posted:

eeeeeh

if you go straight to figgieland out of college and manage your retirement investments well you can probably beat fers. the fers pension and ability to keep health insurance after retirement at stable prices is pretty good and hate to get outside of fedgov. the number of holidays you get on top of your annual leave accrual is also hard to beat if you're in industry.

fers-frae fuckin' sucks poo poo but i'm sure the math still works out in the end if you actually work an entire government career

glad to be on fers lol

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
What do you think the SEC's regulatory strategy on crypto will be? Take it seriously as an investment vehicle? Snuff it out by making high-profile players pass regulatory muster? Allow dumbasses to set fire to their life savings as long as they stay in idiot quarantine?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Bail out JP Morgan Chase to the tune of a hundred billion dollars

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you're sick and your boss won't let you take time off, it's your duty to find him in person and tell him right to his face why it's good for people to be given time off instead of spreading a contagious airborne respiratory disease to all their coworkers

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

HolHorsejob posted:

What do you think the SEC's regulatory strategy on crypto will be? Take it seriously as an investment vehicle? Snuff it out by making high-profile players pass regulatory muster? Allow dumbasses to set fire to their life savings as long as they stay in idiot quarantine?

whatever it is op bitcoin is going up uP UP and you should go all in right now

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Jabor posted:

if you're sick and your boss won't let you take time off, it's your duty to find him in person and tell him right to his face why it's good for people to be given time off instead of spreading a contagious airborne respiratory disease to all their coworkers

lol like they'd give a poo poo

this is america

...!
Oct 5, 2003

i mean, many businesses here don't give a poo poo if their employees/customers kill everyone by spreading covid

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

...! posted:

i mean, many businesses here don't give a poo poo if their employees/customers kill everyone by spreading covid

Bitcoin solves this.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jabor posted:

if you do that, better make sure to cough on them real hard because they'll probably fire you on the spot anyway

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

gschmidl posted:

Bitcoin solves this.

:eyepop:wow is there anything bitcojn CANT fix ??

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grace Baiting posted:

climate change

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

MarcusSA posted:

climate change

If you think about it, once earth enters a runaway greenhouse cycle and settles into a venusian equilibrium there will be zero humans suffering from climate change. So Bitcoin solves climate too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

If you think about it, once earth enters a runaway greenhouse cycle and settles into a venusian equilibrium there will be zero humans suffering from climate change. So Bitcoin solves climate too.

Oh gently caress.... :stonklol:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

MarcusSA posted:

climate change

what if we plant trees but on the blockchain?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

what if we plant trees but on the blockchain?

that's definitely a thing, there's at least one (and probably more) carbon credit trees as NFT's startups

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Shame Boy posted:

that's definitely a thing, there's at least one (and probably more) carbon credit trees as NFT's startups

didn't that cause a giant fire in spain

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Boxturret posted:

didn't that cause a giant fire in spain

no. it caused two

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Shame Boy posted:

no no, you misunderstand. what if we plant trees on the blockchain itself? since bitcoin is a store of energy, then it makes sense that blockchain trees would be a store of carbon, right?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

no no, you misunderstand. what if we plant trees on the blockchain itself? since bitcoin is a store of energy, then it makes sense that blockchain trees would be a store of carbon, right?

yes, that’s right. carbon has mass, which is freely interchangeable as energy (lookup Einstein, if you’re not familiar). Bitcoin could be the worlds largest co2 reservoir AND electricity storage

someone would need to clone a git repo and rename it carboncoin, which is a bit beyond my skill set, unfortunately

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1558555196103561222

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ok this is a good use of crypto
https://twitter.com/coinerstakingls/status/1558558435494477832

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol. lmao

i fully support this usage of the money laundering tool

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Grace Baiting posted:

The Bitconnect guy's marriage.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grace Baiting posted:

Being on both the blockchain and the entity list.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

MarcusSA posted:

climate change

bitcpin fixes this is good for bitcoin

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Clockwerk posted:

yes, that’s right. carbon has mass, which is freely interchangeable as energy (lookup Einstein, if you’re not familiar). Bitcoin could be the worlds largest co2 reservoir AND electricity storage

someone would need to clone a git repo and rename it carboncoin, which is a bit beyond my skill set, unfortunately

have u considered having the idea to start the wiki

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Paladinus posted:

The Bitconnect guy's marriage.

nuptials are safe

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Grace Baiting posted:

nuptials are safe

:wrong:

Hodl on Tight
Aug 14, 2022

by VideoGames
I'm going to name my speedboat, "Hodl on Tight".

What are you guys going to name yours? Oh wait I forgot you were nocoiners, my bad.

What are you going to name your kayaks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh, hello seraph