Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Erik Ten Uous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Imagining an alternate history where utd kept ole and brought Declan rice and ended up being arsenal/tottenham levels of kinda decent.

Or hell, even getting Antonio Conte in.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
frank de bald

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Andres Villas Boas to Man Utd when? Or bugger eating Joachim Low

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Simiain posted:

Imagining an alternate history where utd kept ole and brought Declan rice and ended up being arsenal/tottenham levels of kinda decent.

Or hell, even getting Antonio Conte in.

Sliding doors moment was losing the EL on penalties imo. A win there could have galvanised the team, as it was Ole was painted as a serial loser and everything fell to poo poo.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Who would have to go at Man Utd? De Gea, Maguire, big Phil Jones, Fred, Ronaldo, AWB?

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Hegay posted:

Who would have to go at Man Utd? De Gea, Maguire, big Phil Jones, Fred, Ronaldo, AWB?

Ronaldo and De Gea want out and they should let them go. See what you can get for Bruno. Send Rashford to therapy - I mean that with the kindest of intent. Let AWB and the kids play.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
i forgot they even had phil jones but i looked him up and this profound quote is part of his profile page on their official website:

seems like they could have used him today??

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I could have sworn Phil Jones was gone on a free but he has 2 years left on his contract lol

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Prudent to tie down your best young players to a long term contract

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there a max contract length you can sign a player to?

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Ronaldo and De Gea want out and they should let them go. See what you can get for Bruno. Send Rashford to therapy - I mean that with the kindest of intent. Let AWB and the kids play.

Do you have a source for De Gea wanting out? I haven't heard that anywhere, and there's something interesting that I'd like to point out about his contract.

So De Gea is paid £375k per week on a contract that finishes at the end of this season, with the club holding an option to extend for an additional year. No one will offer him even 1/3rd of what he's making now if the option is declined, and he's completely unsuited to Ten Hag's style of play. They will definitely decline that option and look for a new keeper (or just keep Henderson) next summer if Ten Hag is still around. The club has inadvertently given De Gea a huge financial incentive to make sure Ten Hag is sacked before the end of the season.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

I could have sworn Phil Jones was gone on a free but he has 2 years left on his contract lol

Same lol he's probably on mad wages as well

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hegay posted:

Same lol he's probably on mad wages as well

Mad wages for someone not playing, sure, but in the context of Man Utd insanity he's on a modest 75k

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is De Gea really on 375k a week? That doesn’t seem likely. It makes him one of the top 5 paid players or something like that.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Vegetable posted:

Is De Gea really on 375k a week? That doesn’t seem likely. It makes him one of the top 5 paid players or something like that.

Welcome, american

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

jettisonedstuff posted:

Do you have a source for De Gea wanting out? I haven't heard that anywhere, and there's something interesting that I'd like to point out about his contract.

So De Gea is paid £375k per week on a contract that finishes at the end of this season, with the club holding an option to extend for an additional year. No one will offer him even 1/3rd of what he's making now if the option is declined, and he's completely unsuited to Ten Hag's style of play. They will definitely decline that option and look for a new keeper (or just keep Henderson) next summer if Ten Hag is still around. The club has inadvertently given De Gea a huge financial incentive to make sure Ten Hag is sacked before the end of the season.

He’s been linked with Real Madrid a few times (and almost joined them). I agree that he doesn’t have any real incentive at the moment beyond ensuring that he keeps getting paid.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cup of Hemlock posted:

He’s been linked with Real Madrid a few times (and almost joined them). I agree that he doesn’t have any real incentive at the moment beyond ensuring that he keeps getting paid.

That's a long time ago. Real Madrid wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole now.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

yep, De Gea seems like a key issue, and not particularly because he catch ball bad on the first goal

basically every team in the league has figured out that as long as De Gea stands on his six-yard line and there's no-one dropping off from midfield who can collect the ball, you can just press and harry the centre-backs into giving the ball away

Solskjaer solved that by sitting way deeper, at which point everyone bitched and moaned that United were winning 1-0 off VAR penalties and needed more of an attacking threat

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He also doesn't sweep at all and has zero presence in the box. And he never speaks to his defenders.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

TheRat posted:

He also doesn't sweep at all and has zero presence in the box. And he never speaks to his defenders.

hes got harry maguire and lionel messi standing on a phonebook in front of him, i'd absolutely no hable either

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is there a max contract length you can sign a player to?

I think if you sign them for longer than five years then they can leave on a free after five years anyway, so you do see contracts longer than five yeras occasionally but they're really rare

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hegay posted:

McTominay for sure, maybe Shaw, he seems to play exponentially worse whenever Maguire's on the pitch, so all the time.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

From watching the highlights again, it's pretty unsurprising that the game went the way it did, two absolute howlers from De Gea and it's all over. No wonder Dean Henderson was fuming about being sent out on loan again.

Are United a team where almost everyone gets paid huge money and phones it in because they aren't in any danger of competing for anything and there is a long list of clowns who will take the blame. I mean Harry Maguire is poo poo, but if you put James Tarkovski or Ben Mee in that back four and they would look poo poo too. Except Maguire had had seasons of it and it's rotted his brain irreparably

If the Fergie era had continued it would have been different because they would have just signed Harry Kane after his first decent season, Declan Rice would have been there years now and god knows what else.

In short they should sign some good players

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

There is absolutely a ton of phoning it in. I feel like ETH is too nice to do this, but if he really wants to light a fire, he should have everybody try out for their spot. Nobody is above the crest, etc.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

If the Fergie era had continued it would have been different because they would have just signed Harry Kane after his first decent season, Declan Rice would have been there years now and god knows what else.

In short they should sign some good players

Gary Neville put it perfectly yesterday, "no clubs want their money and nobody wants to go there"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Eh, I'd say plenty of clubs are more than happy to take their money. A whole lot of it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
everyone knows they're rich and desperate so is adding way more onto their valuations when asked

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yep

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
i think manchester united are great as they are and shouldn't change a thing

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheRat posted:

Eh, I'd say plenty of clubs are more than happy to take their money. A whole lot of it.

Working out pretty loving well right now isn't it?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

smiling giraffe posted:

i think manchester united are great as they are and shouldn't change a thing

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I personally think that United would become a competent team again if they addressed their long term problems with defensive and central midfield and center forward, but they’ve been trying unsuccessfully to address those issues for a decade and half decade respectively, so who knows whether they will ever be able to actually do it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

United were sixth last season with roughly the same squad. Add a player or two and they’ll still qualify for Europe.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

United were sixth last season with roughly the same squad. Add a player or two and they’ll still qualify for Europe.

Eh. Cavani, Greenwood, Matic, Pogba, Mata, Telles all played some amounts of football and are gone. Ronaldo has downed more tools than last season and De Gea is no longer functional.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
TBH I think Ole was on the cusp of doing that, had talked Cavani into hanging around another year, got Jadon Sancho and Varane in and was working to get Declan Rice, and seems to be the only manager who can talk Pogba into playing football now and again. Things were looking up!

Then the board loving nuked his plans by plonking a Ronaldo shaped turd in his lap, lol...funny how life is innit.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Simiain posted:

TBH I think Ole was on the cusp of doing that, had talked Cavani into hanging around another year, got Jadon Sancho and Varane in and was working to get Declan Rice, and seems to be the only manager who can talk Pogba into playing football now and again. Things were looking up!

Then the board loving nuked his plans by plonking a Ronaldo shaped turd in his lap, lol...funny how life is innit.
It’s nuts to blame this on Ronaldo. Sancho hasn’t done poo poo since he arrived, and United hasn’t had a competent central midfielder in years. I don’t think United would have qualified for Europe without Ronaldo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Simiain posted:

good news on that front

https://twitter.com/hirstclass/status/1558844551070191616?s=21&t=zEUYKzecwAWPvQeFKLw7xg

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Let's go take a look at Manchester United.....oh dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

It’s nuts to blame this on Ronaldo. Sancho hasn’t done poo poo since he arrived, and United hasn’t had a competent central midfielder in years. I don’t think United would have qualified for Europe without Ronaldo.

Sancho was bought for a team that doesn't exist anymore. Everything about the team structure and style had to be turned upside down to accommodate Ronaldo. He scores a lot of goals and takes a billion shots but he does absolutely nothing else. Man Utd was top of the league before Ronaldo was signed. Would they have won the league? Absolutely not, but they would have done better than they did. And Ole would still have a job.

Please do it, I'm loving begging you