Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

atrus50 posted:

i have a sneaking suspicion from this one daily beast interview i read that his casting team might target weirdos on purpose. they certainly do not use regular casting agencies for their "marks," instead putting feelers out in certain communities

I totally buy that this is the result you'd get from casting calls via Craigslist

edit - my favourite line this episode may have been "I watch Key and Peele", but also that Nathan's defense of eating dr farts candy poos was that he was "riffing" with the kid

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I genuinely believe Angela is real and is also a lot worse than she comes across on the show. Like she's tempering it for the cameras, but she definitely says some kind of slurs on her own time.

It would be nuts if the whole "I was given no direction" thing gets expanded in the next episode where she was an actor hired to help Nathan rehearse a scenario, but the woman she was "pretending" - her primary - was actually a different actor playing real Angela like how Joshua was effectively playing young Angela and she never cottoned on to the fact that she was pretending to be the person she normally is.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Tea Bone posted:

Then it occurred to me the far more boring obvious answer; there's probably a bunch of questions like "what is your favourite movie?" brought up during casting. Nathan already knew she was going to say Apocalypto and planned to ask Angela her favourite movie to "break the tension" before even starting the conversation.

Keep in mind that they are probably shooting for long hours every single day so there’s probably 100s of hours of unused footage of Nathan trying to bait a reaction and it not panning out. They only need to show you the one time it works perfectly.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like the part where fake Angela's like "am I the joke?" Because like honestly, kinda.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder if the last episode will be like the first, longer and completely unrelated to the others

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Based on what was in the trailer but hasn't appeared in the show yet, the obvious prediction would seem to be nathan spiraling into nightmarish delusion in the house eventually with creepy adult adam

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/nathanforyouooc/status/1558624629727449088?s=21&t=SSaGoNhpwWlnduoY1ijebg

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Based on what was in the trailer but hasn't appeared in the show yet, the obvious prediction would seem to be nathan spiraling into nightmarish delusion in the house eventually with creepy adult adam

there's also a preview up on HBO.com for episode 6 and it looks like Angela has left the house but not the show which should be fun

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Looten Plunder posted:

side note: I'd love someone to write a book on religion for dummies that spells out the differences in beliefs between all the different religions and denominations and how they all evolved/branched out from each other.

There's literally a book called Religion For Dummies that is what you're describing. It's really good and interesting

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Looten Plunder posted:

side note: I'd love someone to write a book on religion for dummies that spells out the differences in beliefs between all the different religions and denominations and how they all evolved/branched out from each other.

It's so weird to me that Jesus was a Jew but like, Christians think Jews are all going to hell. And then there is Nathan style Jews versus the sidelock wearing Orthodox/Hasidic Jews that clearly have different beliefs.

Angela honestly breaks the schism down pretty well here. To very very much simplify it, Old Testament scripture, held in common by Christians and Jews, prophecies the coming of a savior or a messiah. Christians believe Jesus was that person, Jews don't believe it's happened yet.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

What a beautiful, unusual show.

My wife is convinced that the whole Angela story is a way for Nathan to process his real life divorce, and while I'm not sure it's that explicit, I love how it's a perfectly viable read for the show.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 14, 2022

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Last scene got me real good, both in the way it was set up and just how Nathan played it. I wonder if they screened for a pro-isreal person or just rolled the dice

The last scene is so good. Nathan understands that we never break the cycles, just reconstitute it in a different form.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Riptor posted:

There's literally a book called Religion For Dummies that is what you're describing. It's really good and interesting

This looks to be what I want, I'd just prefer it to not be authored by believers.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the woman calling her an anti-semite for not wanting to raise "her kid" Jewish was really silly. You could tell Angela was trying to explain further that she wasn't "against Judaism" in the way that the woman implied but she had already flown off the handle. Not that there aren't probably some more problematic things buried in there, but it Angela clearly wasn't trying to express that she is anti-Jew.

She was going to explain it in the same way anybody with bigoted views but not a specific cartoon "hatred" of a specific race will claim they're not racist or bigoted, they're just [expressing whatever bigoted or racist belief they hold without personal hate, just a conclusion of their other beliefs]

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I love that Nathan cut off all the shallow critiques of The Rehearsal while simultaneously exposing their creators as being just as guilty of the narcissistic overindulgence they accuse him of.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RestingB1tchFace posted:

ROFL! Mel Gibson would definitely be her favorite director.

Nathan: "he said some pretty bad things about Jews"

lol @ the ending. Very Curb like.

As hilarious as this was it did feel like he was, trying to poke her into saying something/ reacting in a way that would be funny for his show

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lol at them hiding in the underground basement to study the Torah.

You just know Nathan was kicking himself for not renting a house with an attic

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

that trailer image is great.

looks like a dark and freakish road to go down. i was reminded of this as well with Angela going on about 'perfect snow-white hair' this week:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I would kill a man for a black baseball hat with the Nate's Lizard Lounge logo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

roomtone posted:

i might be a simpleton but i think i would've enjoyed the show that was the first episode more than this is turning out. the concept has trailed off into boring. i didn't mind in previous episodes because he was doing something else too but i'm as checked out as angela is at this point. hopefully episode 6 is a surprise. angela's gone so at least it won't be more of her.

it isn't that there were no good bits in this episode, i was just thinking man, this is sort of a waste of the concept too much to enjoy them. it hasn't really escalated at all since the second ep, feels like there was a great 45 minute episode here rather than a full season.

Yeah... this show has been amazing so far, but I really just want more regular episodes sprinkled between the Angela arc. A lot of the fun of Nathan is seeing the lengths he goes to try to help people. It kind of feels like this show was supposed to be 10 episodes, but HBO only gave him 6.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gorman Thomas posted:

You just know Nathan was kicking himself for not renting a house with an attic

:drat:

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Tea Bone posted:

Then it occurred to me the far more boring obvious answer; there's probably a bunch of questions like "what is your favourite movie?" brought up during casting. Nathan already knew she was going to say Apocalypto and planned to ask Angela her favourite movie to "break the tension" before even starting the conversation.

Imagine it being like the first episode where Nathan subliminally fed Kor answers to the quiz. Set up a movie night and just play nothing but Mel Gibson movies and eventually when you ask what her favorite movie is she will say one of them because it's foremost in her mind and there you go.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheMopeSquad posted:

Imagine it being like the first episode where Nathan subliminally fed Kor answers to the quiz. Set up a movie night and just play nothing but Mel Gibson movies and eventually when you ask what her favorite movie is she will say one of them because it's foremost in her mind and there you go.

The Kor episode shows that subliminal messaging doesn't work. He got some answers wrong and the ones he got right he got right because he actually knew the answer.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

What Nathan was doing with Kor was not subliminal messaging.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

that trailer image is great.

looks like a dark and freakish road to go down. i was reminded of this as well with Angela going on about 'perfect snow-white hair' this week:

big Vivarium vibes from this pic

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

JAMOOOL posted:

guessing this was obvious to everyone else but I just realized that the 1st episode, which appeared to have been filmed in 2019, was probably just done as an HBO pilot, whereas the subsequent episodes were filmed in either 2020 or 2021 (given all the scenes of people wearing masks). so the 1st episode was a model for what the show could be, but obviously it turned into something very different

That makes a lot of sense. The first episode definitely feels like a prologue to the rest of the show.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'm beginning to feel like the concept of the show isn't the Rehearsal, but rather a bizarre performance piece. I tried to describe the show to someone at a party last night, and all I could describe it as was just art.

But I feel like the show is really about how Nathan has let the concept of the show spin out of control and he's become consumed by this ability to create a fantastic version of reality. It's about someone trying to manufacture real emotions, and what comes out from that. In the first episode, we see the ideal concept for the show. But in later episodes, we see more and more how the concept falls apart.

Because unlike most reality shows, it's not about the other people. It's about Nathan. The episodes focus on his methods and his attempts to perfect the Rehearsal.

I feel like people are going to be talking about what we've seen for a long time. I still don't feel like I have my finger on it, but that's exciting for me.

Looten Plunder posted:

It's so weird to me that Jesus was a Jew but like, Christians think Jews are all going to hell. And then there is Nathan style Jews versus the sidelock wearing Orthodox/Hasidic Jews that clearly have different beliefs.

I do want to correct something here - Christians do not believe that Jews are going to hell, at least not in the sense that it is something that is inherent to Christian thought and belief. There are definitely some Christians who believe that, but most mainstream denominations don't believe that.

It's also a pretty complex topic too. Early Christians did see themselves as Jewish, and there were questions about what you needed to do as a Christian. Over time, things changed, and Christians started moving away from Judaism and having their own customs and beliefs, likely spurred on by the fact that these Christians knew that Jews were correct.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

Because unlike most reality shows, it's not about the other people. It's about Nathan. The episodes focus on his methods and his attempts to perfect the Rehearsal.

Which Nathan are we talking about here -- Nathan Fielder, the human being running a prank show, or "Nathan", the character he's constructed through voice over and editing?

Because I agree that the show is performance art, but the character being constructed here isn't a genuine human being, and I dunno if there's much point talking about "Nathan" like he is one, or that he's genuinely trying to construct and perfect a theatrical / therapy hybrid.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I think there's unseen Real Angela who is much more unlikable and flagrantly offensive/ignorant, Fake Angela who we've been told is the real one but is actually a Jewish actress, and then of course Fake Fake Angela.

What we've been told is real Angela seems like a real woman to me, but her delivery of realistic lines seems too well done and a it like you polished up a transcript into a screenplay. Her comment about direction really got me thinking it's not a bad theory.

Used to do a ton of theater in highschool and college, and the authenticity of how actor people the actors are is wonderful. All of them working hard and super engaged, doing things slightly over projected like one would do on a stage, and the way they always want to escalate the role or monologues into drug addiction or sliding the knife into Nathan's confidence he can ever feel emotion.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Which Nathan are we talking about here -- Nathan Fielder, the human being running a prank show, or "Nathan", the character he's constructed through voice over and editing?

Because I agree that the show is performance art, but the character being constructed here isn't a genuine human being, and I dunno if there's much point talking about "Nathan" like he is one, or that he's genuinely trying to construct and perfect a theatrical / therapy hybrid.

I disagree.

First off, we can only talk about Nathan, the character, because that's all we have. I'm not interested in trying to understand Nathan, the real person. I'm sure there's some overlap, but that's not at issue here.

But more importantly, what makes Nathan different from Frasier or Captain Picard or George Costanza? They are all characters, they are all incomplete, but we look at them as genuine human beings.

It feels like the show is itself an exploration of that Host character on a reality TV show, and trying to get into the head of that character.

In what ways is Nathan lacking in humanity? He has desires. He has hopes. He has dreams. He has flaws. We feel sympathy for him. What is he if he's not a genuine character?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think the disconnect for me is that it isn't actually about Nathan the show runner, it's about Nathan the character on the show. His persona has blurred a bit by now, but the real Nathan isn't actually invested in the rehearsal other than to make an entertaining show. Most others on the show are being themselves, relatively speaking, so you're always aware how much Nathan isn't. There aren't any stakes for him, so as he's become the subject, I feel like I'm just watching a guy trying to wring something out of a concept that has expired. I don't see where the comedic or dramatic tension is anymore.

The best episode other than the first one was the Robin one because that was a couple of serious weirdos put into a bizarre situation, with Nathan just coming in to manipulate things to get the best material. Patrick's portion of ep 3 was good, teenage Adam was good because of the hilarious gritty teen drama performance, but outside of that it feels like the show has kind of disappeared up its own rear end a bit.

That's where I'm at with it right now - I think Nathan is clever enough that this could be one of the intended responses to the latest episode and episode 6 will turn everything I'm saying on its head making me change my mind, but I'll have to wait and see what episode 6 does. It probably won't change that I was pretty much bored by this episode, though.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 14, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

I do want to correct something here - Christians do not believe that Jews are going to hell, at least not in the sense that it is something that is inherent to Christian thought and belief. There are definitely some Christians who believe that, but most mainstream denominations don't believe that.

Evangelicals totally believe Jews are going to hell, and that's ~33% of the US.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The last scene is going to be this guy

Watching a bank of monitors dressed up like

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nathan is an improv guy, and like all improv guys he's chasing any set of circumstances that will allow him to both perform for others and incorporate them into the act. Everything on the show follows from this central truth.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Space Fish posted:

Nathan is an improv guy, and like all improv guys he's chasing any set of circumstances that will allow him to both perform for others and incorporate them into the act. Everything on the show follows from this central truth.

You can definitely see this with the Dr. Farts portion of the show. Nathan yes-and his way through that setup, and engaged in the satanic ritual of eating poop.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That kid was legitimately funny and I was laughing at all the different ways he administered the farts.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
so could the performers in this show like be nominated for rewards theoretically, or does it not count since they're acting in a reality show

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

so could the performers in this show like be nominated for rewards theoretically, or does it not count since they're acting in a reality show

If Doctor Farts doesn't become a series spin off, I'm going to drop HBO Max faster than Discovery did.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Dr Farts may be the greatest medical mind of our generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Yeah... this show has been amazing so far, but I really just want more regular episodes sprinkled between the Angela arc. A lot of the fun of Nathan is seeing the lengths he goes to try to help people. It kind of feels like this show was supposed to be 10 episodes, but HBO only gave him 6.

They gave him budget for 10 episodes but winter is expensive to maintain.