Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

happyhippy posted:

If its complete, release it please.
There's still an Amstrad scene, and new games for it are made still by hobbists.

Thank you. It's been complete since 1995. The link is in my post, and it's been available at most Amstrad sites for ages. I've only repackaged it so that people who have no emulator experience can run it without hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dave Syndrome posted:

Here's one from the vaults:

In 1995, I wrote a Sandman text adventure on my Amstrad CPC - a home computer that was practically already obsolete at that time.
It was a labor of love, and, like anything written by a socially inept 19-year-old, it's awkward and cringeworthy at best.

I'm not going to comment on the quality of the game, but that is a really good splash screen.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Jedit posted:

I'm not going to comment on the quality of the game, but that is a really good splash screen.

Thanks. It's more or less taken directly off the second page of issue #4, which I always found incredibly striking.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You know, I thought I’d enjoy Patton Oswalt as Matthew but something about hearing his voice just immediately takes me out of it. It seems too… clean? I always figured he’d have a bit of squawk or something in there.

What I’m saying is get Mark Hamill to also voice Matthew and every other character that needs voicework.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Outside of the frankly inexcusable pep talk (which is on the writers, not him), I've liked Oswalt's performance. Matthew is still pretty new to both the supernatural and to being a raven, I kinda like him just being a guy. An audience surrogate is more necessary in the show, since a lot of the expository panels from the comic have been removed/there's no narration.

Sure, Hamill could do a better job, but that's true for a lot of voice roles.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's the first piece of voice work from Mark Hamil that isn't just the Joker again (looking at you, Skektek and Skeletor), for many a year. Good to hear him getting to work his range a bit.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

(looking at you, Skektek and Skeletor)

Way more people need to watch Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. It is a gorgeous show.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bussamove posted:

You know, I thought I’d enjoy Patton Oswalt as Matthew but something about hearing his voice just immediately takes me out of it. It seems too… clean? I always figured he’d have a bit of squawk or something in there.

Yeah, the ADR (isnt that what you call this?) for him is just out of place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmPG-XAgbhs

Take this scene, he sounds like hes in another room he has a different echo to Morph

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 15, 2022

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I like Patton's Matthew (especially his bit about Thumbs) but he suffers in comparison to the Andy Serkis Matthew from the Audible series, which I think is the only character I prefer from Audible over the actor in the show. Serkis gets the AWRAK squacky bird style perfectly, where Patton sounds like a dude. A very nice and helpful dude who I expect to hop on Dream's head and puppet him around.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/hunktears/status/1558659077634281472?s=21&t=-5kQsT0-gP-IeLlZ-A2HLQ

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

What's hilarious is that today the same account did a thing where it was "scenes that make us say "now kiss" and sure enough the Desire hairpull was included.

Can't even make up their account mind on if incest is in or out lmao

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Hire Ian McShane for Season of Mists and dare anyone to complain.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 15, 2022

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Early on Dream mentions that all his family members knew that he was being imprisoned, but didn’ come to help him, implying that they don’t care about him.
But why didn’t Death help him since they seem to be on friendly terms?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
No explanation to that IIRC in the comics. I think of it as a plot hole, as a result of Dreams family not being fully developed at the time of publishing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oasx posted:

Early on Dream mentions that all his family members knew that he was being imprisoned, but didn’ come to help him, implying that they don’t care about him.

Gaiman has given a few different answers to this. The best has probably been that 1) he didn't ask and 2) the rest of his family knew he was likely to get offended if they helped without him asking.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oasx posted:

The whole "they didn't come help me" thing is Dream having one of his little pouts because he knows full well the Endless have rules when it comes to dealing with humanity, or at least the elder three do. He does that a lot-- one of his characteristics throughout the comics is how remarkably self-centered and bull-headed he can be. See also: moping because he no longer has a quest, getting personally offended because Hob implied he wanted a friend, also getting offended because Lucienne dared try and help run things.

Death only meaningfully interacts with mortals when it's their time to go, the twins actively dislike Dream so even though they could have likely helped they wouldn't, Delirium has problems of her own leave her alone man, (Spoilers for an Endless that hasn't shown up in the show yet) Destiny has his book so he knew Dream would escape eventually.

E: and as Hieronymous Alloy said, if they had intervened he would have just used that as an excuse to pout instead.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Delirium... god i can't believe we have to go through an entire other season before we can get to my favorite part... the family road trip...

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Oasx posted:

Other answers have been stated above, but another impression I always got was, well, 100 years isn't really very long time for the Endless. Sure, if he was trapped for a couple more centuries, Death might have busted him loose (for humanity's sake if nothing else), but given Dream's own prickly nature, she was fine giving him a few hundred years to do it himself.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Gaiman has given a few different answers to this. The best has probably been that 1) he didn't ask and 2) the rest of his family knew he was likely to get offended if they helped without him asking.

I think each of the Endless would have a reason not to. Desire and Despair don't like Dream very much (and the show goes further by stating they were somehow involved in the Roderick Burgess situation, which is not in the comics) so they'd probably just sit back and chuckle, well Desire would anyway. Destiny wouldn't really leave his garden unless his book told him to, Death was probably being respectful knowing Dream would get offended, and Delirium might have tried but would either fail or get distracted.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Delirium is busy.

She has a fish.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I thought Death told him "You could have asked me for help, you know" and he waved her off. I figured he was definitely too stubborn to ask for help. Especially since apparently Desire and Despair had a hand in the situation.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's not 100% clear if Death is referring to Dream's imprisonment or just his quest to recover his tools, but I think it's supposed to be the former as the show really hammers home the subtext that he's first and foremost a prisoner of his own pride (in the comics Alex follows his father's footsteps more closely, as opposed to the show where he wants to free Dream as long as he's allowed to do so safely.)

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Even ignoring the other Endless, there's plenty of other beings both magical and mundane who either would have been happy to help Dream, or would have been thrilled to have Dream owe them a favor. Dream being too proud to ask for help is important characterization, most of his later problems are more-or-less of his own making.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dream: “this hedge maze asks for immortality, a gift I have no power to give.”

Also Dream: “Hey Hob, I’m going to let you live forever, because it’s hilarious to me.”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Dream didn't give Hob immortality. His agreement with Death was that she wouldn't take Hob unless he truly desired it. Dream was just the one who told him about it.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Even ignoring the other Endless, there's plenty of other beings both magical and mundane who either would have been happy to help Dream, or would have been thrilled to have Dream owe them a favor.

Although that is itself a really good reason for not wanting to ask them.

There's also the question of how he would have contacted them while bound by Burgess's circle. He wasn't able to even affect someone in the room until it was broken.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 15, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

Although that is itself a really good reason for not wanting to ask them.

There's also the question of how he would have contacted them while bound by Burgess's circle. He wasn't able to even affect someone in the room until it was broken.

In the show Jessamy knows he's there, and could have presumably sought help elsewhere. But yeah, from Dream's perspective owing someone something is far worse than a few centuries imprisonment.

ruddiger posted:

Also Dream: “Hey Hob, I’m going to let you live forever, because it’s hilarious to me.”

To be fair, it's not his power that keeps Hob alive. That being said, Dream can offer a form of immortality. If they're really doing Dream of a Thousand Cats, I wonder if Ramadan will make the cut.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

That wasn't really Dream's doing though, that was just Death arranging a playdate for her autistic brother.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ep 7, pretty good, nothing as outstanding as the ones before, but a very solid adaptation and one of the better episodes. With things getting more serialized it's harder to judge these on an individual basis, of course.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One thing I've seen a few critics point out is that the second half could've used two more epsilon to breathe a bit more.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think two would be pushing it but it does feel like we could have used a bit more time before hitting the cereal convention yeah.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The Sound of Her Wings is phenomenal. It was the turning point in how I felt about the comics and the moment I realized j really wanted to see what was next and it did the same thing for me with the show. They needed to hit it out of the park and they did.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
As someone who went in totally new to The Sandman I really enjoyed it. Episodes 5 and 6 really were amazing. I've actually gone back now and have read a whole bunch of the comics and it's great. Tom Sturridge plays him well imo. Looking forward to how they adapt future issues now!

Also lol I really couldn't help but think of this when Dream kept going on about getting his tools back:

https://i.imgur.com/I7C7Gc2.mp4

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 15, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Just had a conversation with a friend who complained Sturridge played Dream “too emo-goth” and I had to ask if he had ever actually seen basically any panel of the comic. :psyduck:

Let’s just say that whole aesthetic was unfortunately formative for a young just on the cusp of highschool Bussamove.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

he looked like such a goober dork here, he was perfect in the role

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
LOL Sandman is like core early 90's goth culture.

It's like saying saying steampunk is too victorian.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Watched the first episode and I'm really not a fan of the way they've stretched the frame vertically. Looks shite. And the bits of Dream's realm that we saw were a bit latter-day Tim Burton for my liking. Also it's a bit weird that Alex and Paul looked like 70 year olds after being away from the life-extending ruby for nearly 100 years.

Otherwise I liked it, even if it skipped a bunch of decades of the plot in favour of chasing the bird around. What's with the 'coming this season' trailer at the end though? Who the hell does that in TYOOL 2022?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

100% this. Tom gets the moody dork who just can't help himself but be a moody dork down to a science.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Dream: Tell me, waterfowl of the family Anatidae, what is it you dream of? What fills your sleeping hours with blissful want?
Duck: ....usually I just dream about somebody feeding me bread. Life's pretty good, basically.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 16, 2022

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Dream: Tell me, waterfowl of the family Anatidae, what is it you dream of? What fills your sleeping hours with blissful want?
Duck: ....usually I just dream about somebody feeding me bread. Life's pretty good, basically.

Dream: Oh. Well, luckily I have this baguette that I can feed you. Sure hope nobody tries to assault me with it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Dream: Oh. Well, luckily I have this baguette that I can feed you. Sure hope nobody tries to assault me with it later.

Atlanta Season 4 being a crossover with Sandman Season 2 was NOT the brands synergy I was expecting.