Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

haven't really kept up but why are energy prices almost 3x higher in the uk than in europe right now lol. i know france is squeezing EDF and cutting some taxes, is it just govt intervention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Brexit means Brexit!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i thought france partially nationalized EDF. where are you getting that 3x energy number from, or is it just electricity sorry

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Britain wants to kill the poor. That's it really

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
like, i thought germany was doing as bad or worse than we are given so much of their generation is gas based with russia. france is unusual in nationalizing afaik but maybe i'm totally mistaken

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Maya Fey posted:

haven't really kept up but why are energy prices almost 3x higher in the uk than in europe right now lol. i know france is squeezing EDF and cutting some taxes, is it just govt intervention?

Because all the companies are privately owned and think they can get away with it under the cover of "the war in Ukraine is driving up prices"

Also Ofgem the regulators are completely captured by the industry

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CoolCab posted:

i thought france partially nationalized EDF. where are you getting that 3x energy number from, or is it just electricity sorry
Electricity is about the same from the UK to Austria, France to Denmark. At least the base price.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

CoolCab posted:

it was electricity sorry. but i think the chart i found was bullshit anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The producers of gas have increased their prices as a result of the war despite it not really impacting them and energy retailers who actually sell it to consumers have been forced to increase it as a result or go bust which a lot of them already have. France had already had some energy price rises last year before they fully nationalised EDF.

Coincidentally shell paid no tax in the UK last year despite billions in profits and in fact even received about 100m from the government

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah fuckin all of europe is getting hit to an utterly insane and absurd degree. right now in the uk civil disobdience ie mass refusal of payment has a positive poll rating iirc and rioting if nothing is done has an utterly insanely high approval rating. poo poo is bonkers and the eu for sure ain't helping at least thus far.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/granitetide/status/1558756833166348289

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CoolCab posted:

yeah fuckin all of europe is getting hit to an utterly insane and absurd degree.

Just one degree? I wish

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jose posted:

Coincidentally shell paid no tax in the UK last year despite billions in profits and in fact even received about 100m from the government

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/25/tories-received-13m-from-fossil-fuel-interests-and-climate-sceptics-since-2019

They spend £700k a year on Tory bribes though

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Labour would do it for 15 quid and a ham sandwich

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

MikeCrotch posted:

Is the sandwich to keep Ed Milliband happy

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

keep punching joe posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but don't MPs also use shops and restaurants. Can't do that if everything had to close because the price of leccy has shot up x10

Only one MP known for going to Aberdeen, and I don't think that one would have been hungry.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Ogra_SF/status/1558770724793368576?t=YF6Y9jHXlWl9znRZ_pZ3nA&s=19

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Jose posted:

The producers of gas have increased their prices as a result of the war despite it not really impacting them and energy retailers who actually sell it to consumers have been forced to increase it as a result or go bust which a lot of them already have. France had already had some energy price rises last year before they fully nationalised EDF.

oil producers are responding to the global ~*~*~*free market~*~*~*

see also biden's embarrassing visit to get fisted by MBS in saudi arabia to no benefit

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

crepeface posted:

oil producers are responding to the global ~*~*~*free market~*~*~*

see also biden's embarrassing visit to get fisted by MBS in saudi arabia to no benefit

Good news is that he doesn't remember it afterwards

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
imagine achieving your dream of becoming "the most powerful man on earth" and still being a loser

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Do what you love and it's not really work. Obama loved being president because of all the drone strikes he got to approve

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

Do what you love and it's not really work. Obama loved being president because of all the drone strikes he got to approve

That's what used to get me - if you disapproved of Trump in a comment somewhere, you would get an inundation of Trumpettes claiming 'you must love Obama then' when no, I didn't love Obomba. He was just a rather more pleasant individual that Trump but still a doer-of-evil-things.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I respect Hillary stans way more than Obama stans. The pod Jons are loving embarrassing

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

MikeCrotch posted:

I respect Hillary stans way more than Obama stans. The pod Jons are loving embarrassing

Pod Jons? Who he?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Pod Jons? Who he?

obama's quote when someone talks to him about his longtime staffers jon, john and jhon

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The best one was when one of them was telling a heartfelt story about how he asked Obama for advice on whether to propose because he respects Obama and his opinion so much, and Obama is just "Yeah, sounds good, whatever"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's what used to get me - if you disapproved of Trump in a comment somewhere, you would get an inundation of Trumpettes claiming 'you must love Obama then' when no, I didn't love Obomba. He was just a rather more pleasant individual that Trump but still a doer-of-evil-things.
And those commenters? Piers Morgan.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Pierce m'organ

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Reminiscent of this week's telegraph headline about Sturgeon indyref plan is an attempt to break up the UK.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62539973

enjoyed this little segment;

the loving bbc posted:

Six people had been due to stand trial in November. Several of them had already been convicted without their knowledge via a new fast-track system, but appealed against the decisions and secured full hearings.

yeah just secret convicting people like an entirely non-fascist country, very good indeed

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Very Cool

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/davidblackfin/status/1558791682589708288

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Pod Jons? Who he?

There's a bunch of ex Obama staffers all named some variation of Jon who do a podcast called Pod Save America or something

Iirc it gets boosted a lot by the US mainstream but is awful lib poo poo and toes the DNC line on everything

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

kyojin posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62539973

enjoyed this little segment;

yeah just secret convicting people like an entirely non-fascist country, very good indeed

wait what?

how do you 'fast track' something like a conviction? They just flip a coin? Like I get it's dodgy as gently caress but how dodgy? Is there any defense at all? Are they just asking people in the street if they think you did it and if enough say yes you go to jail?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Regarde Aduck posted:

wait what?

how do you 'fast track' something like a conviction? They just flip a coin? Like I get it's dodgy as gently caress but how dodgy? Is there any defense at all? Are they just asking people in the street if they think you did it and if enough say yes you go to jail?

They have a judge rubber stamp the conviction and no there is no defence. One of the women didn't know she had a criminal record until she was asked to comment by one of the papers

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Truss will do battle with the EU and the saboteurs

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Spangly A posted:

They have a judge rubber stamp the conviction and no there is no defence. One of the women didn't know she had a criminal record until she was asked to comment by one of the papers

According to this it's a magistrate not a judge; https://www.theguardian.com/law/2019/aug/19/defendants-face-conviction-by-not-entering-plea

the loving guardian posted:

The rulings, made by a single magistrate sitting with a legal adviser

Presumably magistrates are carefully trained for this reponsibility?

https://www.gov.uk/become-magistrate/can-you-be-a-magistrate

lol 3 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1558929438489845760?t=iXqJIrtBOmaFkCJ0DAvHvA&s=19
https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1558929644287672320?t=OLgSohms7BmBm25WHhIkrg&s=19