Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zedd posted:

The movie finale was good and extremely accurate:

https://youtu.be/AcEY2EcQeZY

Katharon accomplished nothing, the speeches were vague, and Setsuna solved pretty much everything on his own, but there was just enough for the other Gundams to do to feel like they mattered.

Yeah, that is dead on.

With 00 finished, I'm considering trying to rush one more show or OVA before Witch comes out. Still haven't seen 0083, so that's an option that isn't too long. Other than that, I still haven't finished (and in a couple cases I haven't started):

Gundam ZZ
Gundam Victory
Gundam Wing
Gundam X
Build Fighters
Build Fighters Try
Build Divers

I also just went with the movies for SEED, SEED Destiny, and AGE, so there's technically show I haven't seen there.

No idea if I'm going to even try, but I am definitely feeling that anxiousness that comes after finishing a show without having a followup, and I almost definitely won't have the time for a big older show in the fall. (Chainsaw Man, Gundam, Mob, Spy, Molcar, new Shinkai movie...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Build Fighters is very nice and not very long.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I would go so far to say that Build Fighters is borderline required viewing for anyone who actually enjoys the "giant robots fighting each other" part of Gundam, or mecha anime fights in general. It has some of the best and most punchy choreography that I think exists in the entire mecha genre, which is deeply impressive for a tv-quality production about glorified toy battles.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The more Gundam you have seen beforehand the more little gags you will catch in Build Fighters, but you can go into it cold and still enjoy it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, the soundtrack is superb.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The thing that really pushes the fights in GBF over the top imo is that since the show knows there are no lives on the line and the fights are strictly sporting where the only cost investment is time and plaplate, every major fight can just go full knock-down drag-out machine gore with heads and arms getting blown off in a way most mecha series reserve only for the finale episodes, and the action directors have way more freedom to go nuts

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The thing that really pushes the fights in GBF over the top imo is that since the show knows there are no lives on the line and the fights are strictly sporting where the only cost investment is time and plaplate, every major fight can just go full knock-down drag-out machine gore with heads and arms getting blown off in a way most mecha series reserve only for the finale episodes, and the action directors have way more freedom to go nuts

Unlike Build Fighters Try, where they completely sabotage that aspect with a neeedless gimmick to ensure no serious harm may ever befall the protagonist's robot because :rolleyes::fh:.

chiasaur11 posted:

With 00 finished, I'm considering trying to rush one more show or OVA before Witch comes out. Still haven't seen 0083, so that's an option that isn't too long. Other than that, I still haven't finished (and in a couple cases I haven't started):

Gundam ZZ
Gundam Victory
Gundam Wing
Gundam X
Build Fighters
Build Fighters Try
Build Divers

I'd honestly recommend dropping Try and Divers and subbing in Build Divers: ReRise in instead, as there's nothing in there worth subjecting yourself to 40-odd episodes of pure tediousness and boredom. I think there's maybe a handful of good episodes of Try at most, and it's not worth the other 18-odd snoozefests to see them sprinkled through. Divers: ReRise is technically a sequel series to Divers, but it's got a feel of "I'm using this project as a means to insert own pet MMORPG Isekai Story instead" thing going on... and it's a much better story than Divers' own by miles.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd honestly recommend dropping Try and Divers and subbing in Build Divers: ReRise in instead, as there's nothing in there worth subjecting yourself to 40-odd episodes of pure tediousness and boredom. I think there's maybe a handful of good episodes of Try at most, and it's not worth the other 18-odd snoozefests to see them sprinkled through. Divers: ReRise is technically a sequel series to Divers, but it's got a feel of "I'm using this project as a means to insert own pet MMORPG Isekai Story instead" thing going on... and it's a much better story than Divers' own by miles.

Seen it already, and liked it, unlike Divers where I gave up seven episodes in out of boredom. It's a little slow, but it's shockingly good considering how boring the show it's building off is.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'd do 0083 or ZZ before either of the Build shows after the first one, Build Fighters. Build Fighters Try is aggressively bad, Build Divers is worse, and Re:Rise is just another "THE VIDEO GAME IS REAL??" story that you've seen a million times before. Though you do at least get the satisfaction of watching the idiot main characters lose big and realize how many furries died because they were idiots about halfway through Re:Rise.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think you should watch gundam wing

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

I think you should watch gundam wing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wing made me mad when i was a teenager because i expected everything to make sense. teenagers are dumb, wing owns.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wing made me mad when i was a teenager because i expected everything to make sense. teenagers are dumb, wing owns.

This was my exact same experience

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/feezy_feez/status/1558594164610109440

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wing, intentionally or not, does an extremely good job displaying how completely random, arbitrary, and nonsensical most wars are, especially to a teenager. tomino attempts something similar in a lot of his works but he tends to portray the characters as either bumbling idiots who are almost aware of how stupid they are, or acting out of malice. wing portrays everyone as completely serious and with clear goals in mind and everyone comes across even more unhinged than l-gaim or g-reco.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Good

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Is Brain Powerd actually good? I don't ever hear anyone talk about it, even in comparison to Tomino's other non-Gundam work.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not his third best that's for sure

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its extremely messy and weird. theres some decent bits but its probably his least coherent work short of garzey's wing.

however, its also very much a 90s tomino thing. this is a magazine aimed at older men asking about tomino, so theyre gonna rank the works that more directly speak to his authorial voice above cca or 0079.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cca being at the bottom below even victory is surprising, at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am guessing that is a fairly limited sample size considering G-Reco at #2 and Brain Power'd at 3 seem a bit... niche. And I love G-Reco.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

decently large sampling but it was 80% male and 63% 35+ years old so not a diverse sampling

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If nothing else I think we can all agree that "In My Dream" is a really drat good opening song, but then again I don't think any Tomino helmed series has had bad music

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

If nothing else I think we can all agree that "In My Dream" is a really drat good opening song, but then again I don't think any Tomino helmed series has had bad music

What about Garzey's Wing?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

My next watch after I finish Victory

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

decently large sampling but it was 80% male and 63% 35+ years old so not a diverse sampling

How large is decently large?

I mean, it's obviously not the million plus from the 2019 Gundam poll, but I've seen magazines like this get votes from a couple hundred to tens of thousands, and that impacts a lot. Small groups mean that you get outsized impact from relatively small segments of the population. If there's a Brain Powered fanpage with 800 users that puts up a link to the poll, that's going to have a tiny impact on a poll with 100,000 respondents, but a 1,000 person poll is going to get totally different results.

That said, Turn A Gundam is, indeed, really good.

(However, G-Reco is not, and placing it above 0079 is insane.)

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Unlike G Reco and Victory Turn A is good. In fact it's really good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tomino wrote an old fashioned adventure anime with a Gundam and it owns

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Brain Powerd is often forgotten as another series with crotch mounted cockpits but instead of a dong it's a cockpit with an orifice door and the mechs are alive.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Wing feels like it's missing 3-5 episodes explaining backstory and stuff, but it isn't too hard to fill the gaps in in your head.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 15, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pneub posted:

Wing feels like it's missing 3-5 episodes explaining backstory and stuff, but it isn't too hard to fill the gaps in in your head.
iirc theres about 2-3 cut episodes around the middle (hence the recap episode) so some of that stuff might have been in those

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You don't need backstory, you just need more Campbell Lane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OSeEMxDKE&t=168s

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pneub posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSdVtQTe0RM

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wing is an odd duck. The whole atmosphere of the show is so heightened and theatrical that characters can do things that are absolutely insane, but still make perfect sense in terms of character motivations. A lot of the commentary on the automation of warfare and the removal of the human element from it and how that effects peoples willingness to go to war and fight is more and more prescient. And there's an ethereal quality to the world that they're in. None of the locations feel like real places that people live in, the academy that Heero and Relena attends feels like something out of Utena or Last Year at Marienbad, a place stuck outside of time. All of it adds up into something really unique for gundam. But the actual watching of it is pretty dreary, the battle choreography is near non existent with vast majority of fights being Shot/Reverse shot with stock footage of a Gundam firing and then Leo's exploding. The plot gets way too muddled in "Oh we're fighting the Federation, just kidding the Illuminati, just kidding the secret double illuminati" If you think S1 of 00 didn't use the government's manipulating the Gundam's to their benefit then wait til you see Wing where the Gundams could be pretty well excised from the plot and nothing would change except for one scene being rewritten. Only Treize, Zechs, Relena, and sometimes Heero have any real agency on the plot, it feels bizarre you end up spending so much time on these other goobers who are out there doing there on thing with their own groups of side characters that don't really matter at all. Really it suffers from the same problem M7 does where eighty percent of the runtime is just pure filler, but it doesn't have submarine street.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly i dont really get people calling wing boring or dreary because every like 7 minutes something completely insane happens. like wufei arguing with that rebel lady and then mid-argument he just steps on a canoe and kicks it out to sea and stands there silently while she keeps yelling at him. or the 5 episode arc of trowa infiltrating lady une's base while her second in command loses his loving mind about how trowa is obviously a spy and literally nobody believes him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

trant clark

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Throwing a man out of a plane and shooting him in the head on his way down

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bane be jealous.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Wing is an odd duck. The whole atmosphere of the show is so heightened and theatrical that characters can do things that are absolutely insane, but still make perfect sense in terms of character motivations. A lot of the commentary on the automation of warfare and the removal of the human element from it and how that effects peoples willingness to go to war and fight is more and more prescient. And there's an ethereal quality to the world that they're in. None of the locations feel like real places that people live in, the academy that Heero and Relena attends feels like something out of Utena or Last Year at Marienbad, a place stuck outside of time. All of it adds up into something really unique for gundam. But the actual watching of it is pretty dreary, the battle choreography is near non existent with vast majority of fights being Shot/Reverse shot with stock footage of a Gundam firing and then Leo's exploding. The plot gets way too muddled in "Oh we're fighting the Federation, just kidding the Illuminati, just kidding the secret double illuminati" If you think S1 of 00 didn't use the government's manipulating the Gundam's to their benefit then wait til you see Wing where the Gundams could be pretty well excised from the plot and nothing would change except for one scene being rewritten. Only Treize, Zechs, Relena, and sometimes Heero have any real agency on the plot, it feels bizarre you end up spending so much time on these other goobers who are out there doing there on thing with their own groups of side characters that don't really matter at all. Really it suffers from the same problem M7 does where eighty percent of the runtime is just pure filler, but it doesn't have submarine street.

I've mentioned it since I first watched the series but I think one of the more genuinely interesting and thoughtful parts of Wing is precisely how irrelevant the Wing Boys are. Oh sure they're in invincible giant robots but so what? Even invincible giant robots can't effect real political change. Operation Meteor is a resounding failure and I think Endless Waltz revealing the original OM was going to be a colony drop until the Doctors were like "this ins insane!" (yes, the Doctors thought it was crazy) and made it instead about five teenagers with attitude fits perfectly.

The only impactful thing they do is when Heero accidentally kills the doves of the Federation.

No, it is Relena that really moves and shakes things up. She unquestionably did more than any of them except Heero. She undoubtedly has a stronger character arc, too, going from lonely rich girl to obsessed with revenge to total pacifism to realizing that while violence is bad, you need a certain level of force to maintain that peace. Heero is her enforcer but she is the real guiding light of the future.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's very interesting the mid point of the show when everyone is adrift and Relina is just GONE. You just have crazy Une and Trowa two-face going on for like 10 eps.