Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

So whats the veredict for Spider Man on the Deck, forget 40fps and just try to get used to 30fps?

It does 40fps just fine. I'm playing on 45hz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dramicus posted:

It does 40fps just fine. I'm playing on 45hz.

which settings for a steady 40?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

It took the Steam deck about15 minutes to decrypt.

It occasionally drops below 45 but its pretty infrequent. Also I'm running it off the internal NVME with dynamic resolution set to 60fps (i think it makes it more aggressive, but not 100% sure) and FSR 2.0 on. Anyway judging by the smoothness, absolutely run it at 40-45hz. Its way better than 30.

Edit:

I've done a little more fiddling and here are my settings for a pretty stable 45fps when swinging around the city or it will be a locked 40 if you want.

Texture quality: med (looks like a ps3 game on low)
texture filtering: trilinear (don't bump this up, it seems to have a big effect)

Shadow quality: low
AO : off
SSR : off

LOD: low
Traffic: very low
Crowds: very low
hair: very low (but this probably only comes into play for cut-scenes, so it's probably safe to put to medium or something)
weather: low

all camera effects: off
motion blur : 10
FOV: -15 (this reduces the amount of things on screen, so it should actually positively impact the FPS)
Film grain : 0 (probably doesn't affect performance, but I don't like it)

Then under display
Vsync: on
Upscaling: AMD FSR 2.0
Dynamic Resolution: 60

Then another thing that I've been testing, which I think might help, but I'm not 100 sure yet, is to set the GPU clocks to 1200 or 1300 in the steam quicksettings menu. with this off the GPU clocks go from 750-1050 on average, but if you lock it to something like 1200, it should always make sure the GPU has the most power budget compared to the CPU. This will raise temps a bit though from 75 to 82 or so. But take this part with a grain of salt, I'm not 100% sure its resulting in more stable framerates or not yet.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Animal posted:

So whats the veredict for Spider Man on the Deck, forget 40fps and just try to get used to 30fps?

Nah you could get a semi-stable 60 if you turn the settings down and are cool with playing at 540p. It’s great on the Deck.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Nah you could get a semi-stable 60 if you turn the settings down and are cool with playing at 540p. It’s great on the Deck.

Yeah, if you are willing to drop the resolution a bit, it will help things immensely.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Momomo posted:

I've gotten Tales of Graces working, though I only played a little bit of it. It probably varies pretty greatly game by game, but it is possible to get things running.

Simple titles that run almost entirely on the ppc core, like after burner climax and various indie games, work fine. If the game makes heavy use of the SPUs, there's no chance. Even on a desktop you need AVX512 extensions to approach real time emulation of the SPUs.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mr Phillby posted:

I was experiencing something similar, music played but no game window appeared.

The solution was to add the installer's .exe to steam (you can download the installer directly from gog.com) then use compatability to force the latest version of proton. Run the installer through Steam directly, then change the .exe path to point at the game's .exe.

You'll want to install the latest version of proton GE via ProtonUp Qt

Finding files installed via Steam/Proton is a pain, you need to look in

home/deck/.steam/steam/steamapps/compdata/

Then each installation made via proton will have it's own folder, named as a string of numbers which contains a complete windows C:/ file system. Protontricks can help id which is the right one, else dig in and look for a /gog folder to find the game's install location.

Thus worked for M&M6, except for an input bug where certain buttons don't register in gameplay. HOMM is a completely different engine i think so hopefully you won't run into the same issue.

that easy huh

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rinkles posted:

The PS2 Ratchets are infamous for that. I wonder if you’d have a better time trying to emulate the PS3 remasters.

I couldn't get any Ps3 games going, tried the Shadow of the Colossus remaster and had no luck, then went back to the ps2 version and that's worked fine

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does anyone have a pointer to something describing what a development setup looks like for Desktop apps? I know it’s “just KDE” but I’ve fallen for that before. All the Valve docs are (quite reasonably) about games for the…gaming side(?).

Also if anyone knows of a tool for making controller configs outside of the SteamOS UI, please speak up and save me from myself.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

quiggy posted:

that easy huh
Yep lol
I've not had to mess with linux and wine and stuff before, turns out its incredibly fiddly. I've been trying on and off for weeks just to get this one game to run.

I'm not sure what can be done though, windows is still missing audio drivers and theres no way to dual boot. Maybe better easier to use apps and managers exist for some of this stuff. I hope better tools and suport will be forthcoming in the future.

I worked out that my Gog issue was specific to the router. It all works fine when connected to a different router. No error messages, able to download stuff from discover and steam. For example i installed firefox but then it wouldn't load youtube. Power cycling the problem router didn't fix it, its running off the main router as a kinda wifi extender (different ssid because extended wifi networks are a nightmare) so maybe i should piss off everyone else in the house by reseting everything.

This is the same network I've had this thing connected to since I set it up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Does anyone have a pointer to something describing what a development setup looks like for Desktop apps? I know it’s “just KDE” but I’ve fallen for that before. All the Valve docs are (quite reasonably) about games for the…gaming side(?).
Not exactly sure what you're expecting to find. If you're distributing Linux native binaries on Steam the recommendation is to target the Steam Runtimeto paper over any abi poo poo. But if you're not doing that then, probably just make flatpaks. That's pretty standard 2022 Linux stuff though, there's nothing special going on in their Linux environment other than the ro root.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: nvm, actually. already have my answer

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 15, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

homeless snail posted:

Not exactly sure what you're expecting to find. If you're distributing Linux native binaries on Steam the recommendation is to target the Steam Runtimeto paper over any abi poo poo. But if you're not doing that then, probably just make flatpaks. That's pretty standard 2022 Linux stuff though, there's nothing special going on in their Linux environment other than the ro root.

Did Linux finally get its poo poo together and I don’t need to worry about which micro-version of Qt and which old release of gcc are necessary to build something that works? I am so happy! Time to write some lovely code and give up because of some undocumented Steam thing.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I think i have Might and Magic 6 running properly now.

The answer was to run the game through the Heroic Launcher while using Lutris Wine 7.2. What could be simpler.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Did Linux finally get its poo poo together and I don’t need to worry about which micro-version of Qt and which old release of gcc are necessary to build something that works? I am so happy! Time to write some lovely code and give up because of some undocumented Steam thing.
No they just gave up, that's what flatpak is. Statically linked libraries against a prepackaged runtime.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

homeless snail posted:

No they just gave up, that's what flatpak is. Statically linked libraries against a prepackaged runtime.

Oh man, that is rich. Thanks for the guidance, I’ll read up on flatpak.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, if you are willing to drop the resolution a bit, it will help things immensely.

lol this is Animal we are talking about

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ShaneB posted:

lol this is Animal we are talking about

Yeah it’s not gonna happen.

Besides that’s what FSR 2.0 is doing anyways, it’s intelligently upscaling from lower resolutions, rather than lowering the resolution yourself and using Steam OS’s FSR 1.0. If you want lower internal resolution just select Performance mode for FSR 2.0

The game runs OK at 40fps with the settings shared before, but it does drop frames. If you want a more consistent frame pacing you have to go for 30fps. But on a fast moving game like this, I think I prefer to suck it up and live with the inconsistent frame pacing at 40 so I can have the reduction in frametimes.

Be that as it may, I’m impressed at how well it runs on the Steam Deck. Nixxes Software are a super talented team.

Animal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 15, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Does anyone have a pointer to something describing what a development setup looks like for Desktop apps?
If you just want to target desktop-mode SteamOS you could disable read-only mode and install a gcc/g++/clang via pacman and build native binaries on the Deck itself. End users could download these and run them directly, so long as you don't have any library dependencies beyond what's installed on stock SteamOS.

However, the reason Valve recommends Flatpaks is because they made it so that end users can install even system-level Flatpaks on the Deck without having to disable read-only mode. That Flakpaks work just as well on any other Linux desktop is an advantage of the whole Flatpak thing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Man-In-Madden posted:

Yeah launching PCSX2 directly is also weird on mine. I use the touchscreen but have to touch above where I actually want to click to get it to work. The blank screen through emulation station might be cause you don’t have the BIOS in the correct location double check this cause it happened to me too.
PCSX2 recognized the bios files when I launched it in Desktop mode and pointed it to them, so it should be fine.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Subjunctive posted:

Oh man, that is rich. Thanks for the guidance, I’ll read up on flatpak.

It's just containers, basically. Containers with defined portals to interact with the desktop.

The really interesting bit is that Valve is working to use this to isolate games from the host system as well. Both to provide a consistent runtime environment, but also to isolate the game form the host system.

Anyway, if you want to distribute binaries, just ship your own dependencies.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it'll be interesting to see how valve handles "compatibility" moving forward with future decks that might have different hardware from different manufacturers
i get the impression they're doing a lot of per-game targeted compatibility stuff

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The only other manufacturer that has hardware that might be suitable is Intel and their Linux drivers are already pretty good. Per-game fixes are likely to be mostly agnostic, that Elden Ring fix works on any Linux PC running Steam and Proton.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

A lot of those fixes are actually "bug for bug compatibility" fixes, where wine or other components were built to a spec, but games depend on specific misbehaviour to function.

Like, here's the mesa application-specific workarounds file: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/blob/main/src/util/00-mesa-defaults.conf

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Had time to actually use it. The beta update for the virtual keyboard is good. Aside from eliminating to gaps there seems to be some rollover protection too. If you press on G, right near the border, and release just inside H, it registers as a G.

Man-In-Madden posted:

Yeah launching PCSX2 directly is also weird on mine. I use the touchscreen but have to touch above where I actually want to click to get it to work.
If you are getting this for other stuff too, you can calibrate your touch screen. It's easiest to notice when you have configuration menus before the game proper launches.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 15, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

code:
<application name="PUBG Mobile" executable="com.tencent.ig">
    <!-- Note: Maxed out a630 settings still limits max framerate, yet GPU
            is below 45% utilization (mostly closer to 40%).  If I claim to
            be a640, that unlocks "Extreme" framerate (and "Ultra HD" graphics).
            With "Extreme" + "HDR" we are comfortably at 60fps with plenty of
            headroom.  "Extreme" + "Ultra HD" (max settings for a640) we are
            starting to approach the limit.  I'll stick with a630 to be
            conservative, but argueably we could go higher.  (This flagship
            gaming phone thing is a scam!)
        -->
    <option name="force_gl_renderer" value="Adreno (TM) 630"/>
    <option name="force_gl_vendor" value="Qualcomm"/>
</application>

lol, btw.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Possibly a niche question but I figure it's worth asking!

Owlcat's Kingmaker has a wonderful UI and controller controls for the Deck. It's really just stellar. Very impressed.

Wrath of the Righteous, however, does not. It's just the base UI and mouse emulation which is Playable after some tweaking but a *huge* downgrade from Kingmaker.

Is there any way to get the Kingmaker controls template onto Wrath, or am I stuck hoping they update the controller UI at some point?

(In the process of starting another Kingmaker run because I was so enthused by the way it handled inputs, I realized the same build would be a lot better in Wrath, which I stalled out on due to load times that the Deck helps with a lot.)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They’re releasing wrath for consoles so the controls will get updated then.

e: Sept 29 release date

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Excellent. Thanks!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Anyway, if you want to distribute binaries, just ship your own dependencies.

glibc maintainers: uhhh well you're not allowed to actually statically link against us, because that breaks the way we do name resolution!!!!

developers: hmm what is a container but a different kind of statically-linked program? :thunk:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
GNU libc does rigorous symbol versioning so it's always (supposed) to be safe to run against a newer version of the library. It's when you're deploying on a system that has an older version that's problematic.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

I think i have Might and Magic 6 running properly now.

The answer was to run the game through the Heroic Launcher while using Lutris Wine 7.2. What could be simpler.

This is going to be very helpful in a week and a half, thanks!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Well my # got called today. I am extremely looking forward to having to mess around with my new linux computer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s real good

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

No. If you're distributing binary software, just target Win32 and run it in Wine. Win32 is the only stable ABI on Linux (web is too, I guess).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jordan7hm posted:

You have no idea how hyped I am for this. Kingmaker is good and fine I guess but WOTR is a very good and fun game.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Can someone explain the proton versions? Shouldn't the newer versions have fixes that were in previous versions, yet there's lots of things where you need to select an older version for an installer or game to run. I don't get it

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pham Nuwen posted:

developers: hmm what is a container but a different kind of statically-linked program? :thunk:

I frikkin' wish developers understood enough about their development targets to have that kind of insight.

Bugs me how prolific containers are in situations where they don't make any sense.

Steam's we're-trying-really-hard-to-make-it-so-you-can't-break-it rationale is reasonable to me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Danith posted:

Can someone explain the proton versions? Shouldn't the newer versions have fixes that were in previous versions, yet there's lots of things where you need to select an older version for an installer or game to run. I don't get it
Ideally yeah but software occasionally has regressions, especially in something like wine or a lot of emulators where correctness can break programs that expect things to function incorrectly in specific ways. I haven't really ran into much that required me to use an older version tbh, but that's why the option is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Looks like the other regions finally caught up, so Valve stopped slowing down the EU queues.

https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev/s/EU/512/1628335780

Which means all the graphs and estimates were kind of useless :shrug: