Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I know small racks never stay small but I want to build a small rack to supplement my mother32/0coast, but also to act as a drum box by itself.

I figure I will get the niftykeyz bundle (the included 2 modules may be kind of poo poo but for $30 each, meh, fine) and stick a Plonk in it, and then I was thinking of sticking Make Noise Pressure Points + Brains next to it... but Brains appears to be discontinued and getting harder to track down. I could certainly chase that down, but if my goal is "adding a module or 3, hopefully not insanely expensive, to make it easier to use the Plonk as a sequencable drum machine without having to lean on my other controllers", what should I be looking at?

If you are looking for drums have you considered a DFAM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sick, thanks pollyanna!

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Is this the place for extremely specific Eurorack module questions?

Getting my first rack in soon - 84 hp, pray to God it ends there - and looking to start with some idiot-proof conversion between modular, stompbox and expression pedal signals.

ALM/Busy SBG looks great, but I'm curious about sending signals into the modular from stompbox, and then back out into stompbox. It seems like it's not quite designed for this as far as I can tell, and I'd be using the Return and Send as in/out respectively. Worried that if the Dry/Wet control doesn't go all the way to 100% Wet I'll be setting myself up for feedback loops, and not the fun kind.

Anybody out there have this module and can advise as to danger levels w/ this use case?

Failing that, does anybody know of other modules that convert modular signal levels to outgoing expression pedal levels (3v/5v)? This is the real 'get' of the SBG for me, as stompbox in/outs are otherwise pretty common. I know I could use an attenuator for this, but 'idiot-proof' is the goal here. Expression pedal-to-modular CV level is nice, but not as much a priority.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

free Trapt CD posted:

Getting my first rack in soon - 84 hp, pray to God it ends there - and looking to start with some idiot-proof conversion between modular, stompbox and expression pedal signals.

ALM/Busy SBG looks great, but I'm curious about sending signals into the modular from stompbox, and then back out into stompbox. It seems like it's not quite designed for this as far as I can tell, and I'd be using the Return and Send as in/out respectively. Worried that if the Dry/Wet control doesn't go all the way to 100% Wet I'll be setting myself up for feedback loops, and not the fun kind.

Anybody out there have this module and can advise as to danger levels w/ this use case?

Failing that, does anybody know of other modules that convert modular signal levels to outgoing expression pedal levels (3v/5v)? This is the real 'get' of the SBG for me, as stompbox in/outs are otherwise pretty common. I know I could use an attenuator for this, but 'idiot-proof' is the goal here. Expression pedal-to-modular CV level is nice, but not as much a priority.

You can do it with a cable with a TRS end for the expression pedal and a TS end on the cv side, with appropriate termination (a floating ring)

https://www.redpandalab.com/accessories/cv-expression-cable

Similarly you can fake modular -> line or pedal level with attenuators (thats all thats really going on there, maybe some impedence matching which may/may not even matter for you)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Is there someone that can help answer my noob MIDI questions, particularly around Arturia products?

I picked up a Keystep Pro a week ago and was working on setting it up as the brains of my DAWless setup w/ a Minibrute 2, Drumbrute, Monologue, and a Korg NTS-1. Initially I was going to try to just daisy-chain things by passing the monologue through the Minibrute 2 to get around there only being 2 MIDI outs on the Keystep. I was running into issues trying to get the Keystep to see the Monologue so I went out and bought a Kenton Thru-5 MIDI box and I was able to get that set up pretty fast without any real issue... the one thing I had to figure out was turning off RX Transport on the Monologue so that the keystep wouldn't just trigger the Monologue's sequencer and would instead use it's own sequencer.

The thing I'm trying to figure out now is how best to configure the Drumbrute with the Keystep... I figured I'd just go midi and use the dedicated drum track on the keystep but pretty quickly I'm realizing that I'd actually prefer to use the Drumbrute's pads/sequencer rather than the Keystep as it's kind of a pain in the rear end hunting for the right key that is mapped to my snare or whatever and would rather just play in the drums on the drumbrute but then use the Keystep to trigger it... I'm concerned I'm not really thinking about this the right way though or that I'll be making the workflow more complicated for myself by not being able to use the Keystep's pattern controls.

Does anybody do something similar to this or use a keystep to control drums?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I had a similar experience with the Volca Drum, where I very much enjoy its UI and prefer it over the Beatstep Pro. I ended up just sending clock to it and programming drums there and using the BSP for sequencing the FM and TD-3.

Use what UI works for you. If the native UI is better, use that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

free Trapt CD posted:

If you're into soldering at all, I've got this kit and highly recommend it:

https://aisynthesis.com/product/ai006-eurorack-stomp-box-adapter/

Very easy to build, great documentation, and does exactly what you're looking to do without worrying about levels

E: He has prebuilt modules as well if you don't feel up to soldering

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 15, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

thanks everyone, thats much to read on while I think about cash

hahah I better get reading, I just sold $3700 worth of magic cards in SA mart, I already have the cash sitting in paypal, and I allocated around $1200 of that to building a Plonk rack. "Mommy they move quick, that's just how we do poo poo", to quote the great Heems

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

JamesKPolk posted:

You can do it with a cable with a TRS end for the expression pedal and a TS end on the cv side, with appropriate termination (a floating ring)

https://www.redpandalab.com/accessories/cv-expression-cable

Similarly you can fake modular -> line or pedal level with attenuators (thats all thats really going on there, maybe some impedence matching which may/may not even matter for you)

Thanks for that. I have a reamping box that might work, but you're probably right about the attenuators etc. - I can probably just mark the 3.3v max on an attenuator somewhere with a piece of marking tape. Had a feeling I was overthinking it!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Very easy to build, great documentation, and does exactly what you're looking to do without worrying about levels

Yeah, thank you for the link! This was exactly what I thought I'd go for if not for the SBG's expression pedal functions, but it might just be the better and more frugal option long-term. Could even grab two. Hell, I'll pick up a matrix mixer and tape interface while I'm at it! For the tape machine I'm totally gonna buy one day, of course...

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

free Trapt CD posted:

Thanks for that. I have a reamping box that might work, but you're probably right about the attenuators etc. - I can probably just mark the 3.3v max on an attenuator somewhere with a piece of marking tape. Had a feeling I was overthinking it!

100%, in practice I end up doing stuff much more by feel anyway. like how many pedals do you have that you actually use the full sweep for? My pedal has a trim pot specifically for this.

with amps I gather keeping them under load, etc is important but eurorack is generally gonna be more more linear, like you can just turn the thing down without losing anything (unless you're specifically going for a bunch of precisely calculated clipping, but that's different!). Stuff like certain fuzzes that really wanna see a specific signal flow / resistances in and out, then the impedence matters but eurorack and most guitar pedals end up "close enough" for a lot of applications

(theres ways to do this more precisely but worry about that when you're sure its the weakest link in your recording chain)

hahah I better get reading, I just sold $3700 worth of magic cards in SA mart, I already have the cash sitting in paypal, and I allocated around $1200 of that to building a Plonk rack. "Mommy they move quick, that's just how we do poo poo", to quote the great Heems

gz but you should get a syncussion or something for that $$$ imo

e: sorry everyone for the gEaR vIdEo but this is what bumped plonk from my "well maybe" list https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsZWMf7Bzkg

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 15, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

JamesKPolk posted:

e: sorry everyone for the gEaR vIdEo but this is what bumped plonk from my "well maybe" list

this does look super cool and have my gears turning

is the set of modules I'd need here:
ugridz
rings
sy0.5a
lollipop

?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

OSU_Matthew posted:

a few of us goons are friends with the dude who runs aisynthesis... it's good stuff for sure.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

has anyone used a VPM QD? 4 drum voices on one module with individual triggers seems nice.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

MMD3 posted:

a few of us goons are friends with the dude who runs aisynthesis... it's good stuff for sure.

I've only met a few times but he's a good dude. Filling the hole synthrotek left nicely, but like actually supporting the projects

Now I'm wondering who ITT I've met before lol

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

e: sorry everyone for the gEaR vIdEo but this is what bumped plonk from my "well maybe" list https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsZWMf7Bzkg
Lol I've never heard it pronounced Mitch-igan.
I like watching divkid and mylarmelodies gear demos.
I know I'm not buying any of it, and have no clue how a lot of the stuff works, but they often give insight in to how something similar might work or be able to be patched up in vcv rack. They almost always spark an idea for me to experiment with, so that's a plus.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

has anyone used a VPM QD? 4 drum voices on one module with individual triggers seems nice.

people seem to like it a lot! the faceplate doesn't quite click for me (this is a dumb problem to have, to be clear, but its my dumb problem)

this does look super cool and have my gears turning

is the set of modules I'd need here:
ugridz
rings
sy0.5a
lollipop

?

Soundforce has a series of "samples" modules that are 6-8 nonstandardish sounds from an 808, a 909, and (!!!) a Linndrum, but I think it's triggered samples. All very usable stuff though. Actually if you're thinking about doing this PM cause the thing that's stopped me from pulling the trigger on new ones from Europe is the shipping eats all the VAT savings. But if we split...

Rings and Lollipop I think you could pass on, PERSONALLY. Rings is... rings (but if you want it, you want it) and Lollipop is rack space for something thats cheaper and better outboard. Grab a RNC or RNLA or 3360 or that Joe Meeks optical thing if the vactrol is a must. Or patch it w/ a LPG (do this IMO) but then you have a LPG to ping when you don't need the comp

Resonant Filters and a VCS type slope (Maths is dope) make excellent kicks. Pinging filters is so much fun lol there's a reason everyone talks about it

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

Lol I've never heard it pronounced Mitch-igan.
I like watching divkid and mylarmelodies gear demos.
I know I'm not buying any of it, and have no clue how a lot of the stuff works, but they often give insight in to how something similar might work or be able to be patched up in vcv rack. They almost always spark an idea for me to experiment with, so that's a plus.

hahahaha oh man I missed that. I got an "Oh-reg-cone" in a londoner pedal review once

Divkid, inspite of myself, gets me more often than not. Northern accent probably helps

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Well I ended up going with VPME QD, a Pam's New Workout, and a Zlob Modular (filter for the 0coast as much as anything else)

Now I just need a niftycase and I'm right back to not really having any funbux. I did put most of the cash I got from cards into useful funding for our house, so, my conscience is clear.

The fact that the VPME has 4 independently assignable triggers and 4 voices out of the box makes it instantly more useful to me for the kind of stuff I've been doing, than the Plonk. I think. Would need to mess with all these things for hours to see, so we'll start here.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 15, 2022

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I built a Befaco Percall and made a 40-minute video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zzOjPTDQsg

Background music is made using the Percall. Lots of Noise Plethora, and lots of KickAll.

Here are some clips:
Clip1
Clip2
Clip3
Clip4
Clip5
Clip6
Clip7
Clip8
Clip9

Edit: Fixing URL links.

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 16, 2022

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

JamesKPolk posted:

100%, in practice I end up doing stuff much more by feel anyway. like how many pedals do you have that you actually use the full sweep for? My pedal has a trim pot specifically for this.

with amps I gather keeping them under load, etc is important but eurorack is generally gonna be more more linear, like you can just turn the thing down without losing anything (unless you're specifically going for a bunch of precisely calculated clipping, but that's different!). Stuff like certain fuzzes that really wanna see a specific signal flow / resistances in and out, then the impedence matters but eurorack and most guitar pedals end up "close enough" for a lot of applications

(theres ways to do this more precisely but worry about that when you're sure its the weakest link in your recording chain)

gz but you should get a syncussion or something for that $$$ imo

the best syncussion clone out there is the division department 01/IV and i will fight anybody who denies it. midi only though, but if you're dropping big cash on bespoke drum voices you should probably have a good midi sequencer already

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Mr. Sharps posted:

the best syncussion clone out there is the division department 01/IV and i will fight anybody who denies it. midi only though, but if you're dropping big cash on bespoke drum voices you should probably have a good midi sequencer already
Why fight? Get both. SEND IN THE CLONES!

I do like the 01/IV, but I like the (PsyCo X, in my case) SY-1M more as a Syncussion clone. I am a bit mystified about folks who find the 01/IV "too limited" though, but I also admit I have a drum synth addiction...

In other news I finally play the opsix unboxing lottery tomorrow (WRT screen, etc.)... DUN DUN DUN...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

as far as i can tell musicians friend still hasn't shipped mine

ngl im kinda annoyed

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Achmed Jones posted:

ngl im kinda annoyed
FWIW, mine didn't get shipped as shown by Reverb until last Thursday. The ETA was tomorrow, but they actually arrived today, but I didn't see the notice until it was too late to pick them up, so tomorrow it is. Anyway, before that, there was no movement on the Reverb shipping status since the day I bought them...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Achmed Jones posted:

ngl im kinda annoyed

I called and raised hell after getting two different stories over the last three days about this, apparently it's a shitshow behind the scenes over this "sale" as it was below cost and tripped internal holds for every order meant to prevent pricing errors. Korg put them in a bind with price matching their blowout, which may be shady too as many of the Korg shipped ones seem to have screen issues. But, it looks like they intend to honor the sales:

MF customer service posted:

Agreed,
I spoke to my manager ------------------- regarding your order MFW------------------, he says that your order will be released for shipping Aug17th,2022. and to expect tracking info shortly thereafter.

Thanks,
---------

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 16, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Awesome, thanks for the info!

I actually just came to report that it's finally gone from "pending" to "order created." I of course don't have a clue where that puts it in the overall pipeline, but I'll keep my shirt on and my fingers crossed until the 17th

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stoca Zola posted:

100% would not pay full price for

:words:

For me the biggest benefit was having an actual structure to follow along with and that inspired me to make up my own homework to suit, so any reasonable course will get you the same measured doses of information and a feeling of progression that can be very motivating.

Closing the loop on this, based on the "probably not at full price" review, I bought the first three modules of Music Theory for Electronic Music for $CDN40 on sale at Udemy (on sale through today, I presume). At that price even if it is slapdash and rough around the edges, if nothing else I have a structured format to base my own additional research on.

Thanks again for the frank review. I'll go through this soon, I hope, once some of my work rush dies down a little. Regardless of how polished it may be, I'm pretty excited to at least get some fundamentals down.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 16, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

Congrats, Hydrasynth is amazing, from the very first preset on down. I've written a lot in this thread about how much it owns and my opinion of it has only grown with time. The only thing i'd ever trade it out for in my setup would be the Hydrasynth Deluxe because it would be sick to have a split in there.

i love chaos breather and hydrasynth

I have hydrasynth explorer

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Can someone point me to a video of why the hydra synth is so cool? I’ve watched a couple reviews and the controls seem really neat and interesting, but I haven’t ever heard a sound demo that wowed me.

Or don’t, I probably don’t need any additional synth temptation and just need to write more with what k already have.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Thorpe posted:

Can someone point me to a video of why the hydra synth is so cool? I’ve watched a couple reviews and the controls seem really neat and interesting, but I haven’t ever heard a sound demo that wowed me.

Or don’t, I probably don’t need any additional synth temptation and just need to write more with what k already have.

there are a bunch of non review video "just playing" type stuff out there and I guess it either grabs you, or not. But, those videos were what sold me, as much as the tutorial and review vids. Here is 40 mins of just the baked in presets being played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_lPNdAMj90&t=1216s

video (and the synth) really benefit from a good set of headphones if you don't have truly studio grade monitors with good bass, thing is a beast on the low end that can just sound farty through poo poo speakers (like most of the ones in the room I am in :allears:).

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 16, 2022

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i don’t have one so take my take with a healthy bit of salt but the reason people love the hydrasynth isn’t really super easy to demo. it doesn’t really have a really cool “signature sound” but it does everything you could want from a poly synth really really well with an absurdly intuitive interface. it’s got a ton of options when it comes to oscillators and filters which makes it super versatile and it also has a very impressive suite of effects. also the keybed with the poly aftertouch on the big ones is quite the cherry on top if you’re looking to play something expressive.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
All told the value of those is insane. I would have gotten one if I didn't get into eurorack.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
the poly aftertouch is def the signature hydrasynth sound imo, sorry to explorer havers. it's great at making vangelis sounds, and wavetable stuff. you have access to a bunch of bizarre waveforms, and you can make sounds with a lot of character blending small bits of that in with more conventional square/saw/sine etc. a lot of my patches wind up having like early 90s pc-game character from the wavetable scanning, you could v easily score a sequel to civ 3 or the dune RTS on this thing.

the big selling point that made me get one, besides the aftertouch, was the internal routing. it's super easy and convenient to modulate things with other things, you can do lots of eurorack-esque tricks with modulating said things. if you can think of a thing you want to impact with envelopes/cv, you can do it very easily!

the filters are also amazing. idk how they compare precisely to other polysynths because i didn't spend hours at a perfect circuit or w/e doing sweeps, but it has tons of types, with very interesting routing possibilities. putting the 2 filters in parallel really opens up tons of sound design options, and you can ofc control everything on said filters. i really like mapping a narrow Q bandpass filter with a ton of resonance, and then having the Q and/or the targeted frequency controlled by the aftertouch; this lets you emphasize certain frequencies by hitting keys harder.

creamcorn fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 16, 2022

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Got my M8 in the mail! It was neat using the headless version to learn my way around the software but I feel like I'll put more quality time chilling on the couch with this rather than looking at twitter.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ooooh post more about it after some playtime

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

creamcorn posted:

the big selling point that made me get one, besides the aftertouch, was the internal routing. it's super easy and convenient to modulate things with other things, you can do lots of eurorack-esque tricks with modulating said things. if you can think of a thing you want to impact with envelopes/cv, you can do it very easily!

as someone who is basically aspiring to learn synthesis basics after a couple years of just "messing around", within like 15 mins of watching patch tutorial vids for the hydrasynth I was seeing the obvious relationship to how patch chains on my semimodulars work. I understood how it was generally, conceptually, the same, but the matrix and fact that the whole signal path is laid out in buttons and nothing tends to be more than 1-2 screens deep, makes it much easier to understand the actual path from "oscillator makes variable waveform" to "device goes bleep bleep bleep".

I've never used poly aftertouch before, but the patches that make the most interesting use of it are really something else, the experience of modulating a soundscape by just holding a chord and making light finger adjustments is really something and kind of reminds me of a theremin in a weird way.

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

All told the value of those is insane. I would have gotten one if I didn't get into eurorack.

I sold out of Magic, paid for roof repairs, some necessary appliances and cat & human healthcare

somehow still ended up with... uh.... a hydrasynth 49 key, 0coast, mother32, mavis, beatstep pro, KP3, assorted mixers, and I have a small VPME QD based rack setup for drums being shipped to me now. (I started buying stuff in 2017, it's been a process. Also started divesting from Magic around then).

If I had been able to put all my cardboard cash into synths, dear god, I'd never learn anything. I keep telling myself I am ready to put the GAS on hold until I'm recording more. Then I look at the Matriarch promo videos again :allears:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 16, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I just got an Arpitecht because I noticed WMD sold out and PerfectCircuit still had them. I HAVE TO BE DONE FOR REAL NOW, NO MATTER HOW MANY SIGNAL/DISCORD MESSAGES I GET FROM FRIENDS ABOUT "OH BUY JUST THIS ONE MORE THING" :rolleye:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I just got an Arpitecht because I noticed WMD sold out and PerfectCircuit still had them. I HAVE TO BE DONE FOR REAL NOW, NO MATTER HOW MANY SIGNAL/DISCORD MESSAGES I GET FROM FRIENDS ABOUT "OH BUY JUST THIS ONE MORE THING" :rolleye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuFSv2bLa8

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Arpitecht is a great module, you're going out on a high note, no pun intended. Only complaint is I wish the arp would include the first note of the next octave.

Triad is totally missable, if you missed it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I got antsy and called musicians friend; they're hoping that Korg will give them the go-ahead to start shipping on Friday. fingers crossed :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Arcella posted:

Got my M8 in the mail! It was neat using the headless version to learn my way around the software but I feel like I'll put more quality time chilling on the couch with this rather than looking at twitter.

Welcome to the club, sir.

Make sure you join the discord: https://discord.gg/5EMWxpnj