Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That's for taking off. You will still have to go through customs if you land in a private jet and they will need a passport and a search for contraband.

Indeed. Given the mention of passports and flight risk and so forth, I guess I was assuming we were talking about him taking off from Florida and landing in Russia or Saudi or wherever where they'd bend the rules for him and wouldn't care. Guess I should have been more clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Madkal posted:

The only thing I can think of is do people in government get new passports to indicate they are in the government ie would the president have the same kind of passport as a regular citizen of the USA?

They (meaning former politicians) do, and he might be required to have both, if he were flying for official reasons.

As a former president, it stands to reason that he has a diplomatic passport. It's not likely Biden would actually use him, but, whatever.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Madkal posted:

The only thing I can think of is do people in government get new passports to indicate they are in the government ie would the president have the same kind of passport as a regular citizen of the USA?

They sometimes do issue diplomatic passports, but only when you are staff who are traveling on official business. They also are deactivated upon leaving service.

I don't think the President is considered staff and, even if he was, it wouldn't be active anymore now.

He said he had 3 passports seized and 2 were active.

Maybe he got State Department permission for a second passport. It's not illegal or anything, but there just isn't really any reason for him to go through the process of getting a second one. Mayne he just wanted two for kicks and the State Department wasn't going to deny the request of a former President?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Madkal posted:

Yes, there are government specific passports, I've got a regular passport and a federal employee passport. Trump is not part of the US Government at this point so he shouldn't have one though unless former POTUS' have different rules regarding that, and they might.

Edit: Beaten multiple times.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Madkal posted:

Members of the Government can get a red passport for official travel. Obviously it's not clear if that's what he has and if it should have already been surrendered.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yes. You still need to get your passport stamped and go through customs if you are travelling internationally. It doesn't matter what type of plane you are on.

Not always.

And not always on ships or boats either. I entered a shocking number of countries without getting a passport stamped when I was a cadet. The further off the main ways of entry the more common. Getting off a cruise ship yeah they’re going to check each you each time. Boarding a supply launch from a vessel that stays at anchor for a month and never actually berths.... sometimes nothing. The reporting on wealth managers commonly has “no pass port needed” anecdotes about the super rich. But Trump’s not really part of that class.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

I'm wondering why he had three passports.

He said one is expired.

You can technically have two passports legally, but I'm not sure why Trump would. The main reason people have two is usually for weird country squabbles (like, you can get two passports if you travel to Israel and need to go to Lebanon. Lebanon will not admit people who have been to Israel, so you can get a second passport to collect the Israeli stamp), but you need special permission from the State Department to get the second passport. I can't really think of any reason Trump would need that.

Even if he had some urgent business in Lebanon, I think he is probably famous enough that he isn't going to trick the customs guy into thinking he has never been to Israel or that Lebanon would deny him entry on that basis.

That's for taking off. You will still have to go through customs if you land in a private jet and they will need a passport and a search for contraband.

He probably had a federal official passport (brown/red cover)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Another reason a person could acquire a second passport is frequent travel causing conflicts with renewing or acquiring Visas. If your passport is tied up one place and you need to go somewhere else fast, the State department sometimes will see fit to grant you a limited passport for that immediate travel.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Kalli posted:

I mean if Trump is ready to flee the country then isn't it better if he does? The odds of justice being served by the American justice system seems so astronomically low him spending the rest of his days doing tv spots with Steven Seagal in Russia sounds a hell of a lot better of an option for america politically then what will likely happen if he just rides it out being Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siFmJz7CZSM

Unfortunately he was exposed to lots of sensitive information when he was President (whether he retained any of it or not), so I don't think letting him toddle off to Russia is a great idea.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Unfortunately he was exposed to lots of sensitive information when he was President (whether he retained any of it or not), so I don't think letting him toddle off to Russia is a great idea.

Depends on if we can get him to invite a bunch of his closest followers to follow him to set up "Real America" in exile...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NomNomNom posted:

He probably had a federal official passport (brown/red cover)

It wouldn't be active anymore, though.

I doubt there is anything suspicious about the three passports. It's just that none of the reasons they issue a second active passport apply to Trump and it doesn't really make sense for him to get one. The simplest and most likely answer is that he just asked for one and they weren't going to tell him no.

Not sure why the FBI decided to seize all three of them either.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yes or they might go “lmao, gently caress it and gently caress Gallup” and self exclude.

The chance that they do this at a statistically-significantly higher rate than their women peers seems very unlikely

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Randalor posted:

Oh, okay. So in theory he could still be a flight risk, but he would have to be able to find a place to land that is both in range of his plane and also willing to piss off the US by aiding and abetting someone who just fled the US because they were being investigated for espionage? So basically, by taking his passports, the FBI made sure he couldn't run far?

I wonder about that, if you make a landing at an international airport for refueling or changing plane aren't you already accepted as long as you stay in the controlled area? Technically you are not entering the country. I have been to Heathrow but I have never entered UK.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Iran says the U.S. accepted two of its remaining demands and they will "deliver the final response" to the proposal to re-enter the nuclear deal by midnight tonight.

Some Iranian diplomats told Reuters that they are not likely to reject the deal, but they may accept "conditionally" and request that three additional demands be negotiated before final acceptance.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middl..._source=twitter

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 15, 2022

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Rand Paul put out a statement that he feels that the Espionage Act is an affront to the 1st Amendment and should be done away with. I'm sure this has no relation to any potential current events that may or may not have happened.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mar-a-lagoo-raid-rand-paul-repeal-espionage-act-trump-2022-8

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1558579480171614209?s=20&t=8x4dOdxVJDJP7vhMhRA4pw

The article the tweet links is from 2019 and talks about how the Espionage Act of 1917 was "not to punish people for spying but rather for criticizing the draft and the war. The law converted anyone who publicly criticized the draft or attempted to persuade American men to resist the draft into felons," and seems to have been written in response to the stuff going on with Assange.

The "jailing of dissenters" part of the law wasn't one I had ever heard of, and the article he linked mentioned the same consequences. Now, I'm sure Paul just took the first article he found that gave him a reason to be so against the Espionage Act, but it made me curious about the law itself.

If you were a felon for criticizing the draft or simply speaking out, then that definitely is a blatant violation of the 1st Amendment. However, like most things the GOP vomits up when they suddenly really care for the rule of law or the integrity of the constitution, there are convenient, but very important, facts omitted.

The provision to criminalize dissenting opinions of the draft wasn't part of the original bill (drafted June 1917), but was added on a year later with the Sedition Act of 1918. Here's the important truth that is left out of the article the Senator from Kentucky linked - the Sedition Act was repealed in 1921, making it no longer a criminal offense to speak ill of the draft.

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/1045/espionage-act-of-1917

Same guy?

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/309442958208405505

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
some great data on Drone strikes year to year, and how Biden has significantly ramped down the use of drone strikes.

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1559257494341488644

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Randalor posted:

Honest question, if you're travelling by your own plane to another country, do you still have to present your passport at the US airport? I thought he owned at least one plane he bragged about, but I'm not sure of the laws regarding air travel via your own personal aircraft.

On a related note, when you take delivery of your own commercial airliner (either for commercial or private service), you have to go through TSA screening before you can fly on your own plane.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Papercut posted:

The chance that they do this at a statistically-significantly higher rate than their women peers seems very unlikely

Eh some of the spaces that would do exactly that do swing more male.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

some great data on Drone strikes year to year, and how Biden has significantly ramped down the use of drone strikes.

But, since Biden only has one drone strike in Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, and Syria and that one was a pretty big "uh-oh," then technically he has a 100% failure rate with drone strikes in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria.

Whereas, Trump's 16,427 strikes in Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, and Syria have a much more respectable sub-10% civilian casualty rate.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Thanks, this is good news.

Although, the Trump Admin just stopped reporting drone strike figures... so how accurate are those numbers?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

But, since Biden only has one drone strike in Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, and Syria and that one was a pretty big "uh-oh," then technically he has a 100% failure rate with drone strikes in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria.

Whereas, Trump's 16,427 strikes in Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, and Syria have a much more respectable sub-10% civilian casualty rate.
Donald the Dove, Joe the Hawk

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Although, the Trump Admin just stopped reporting drone strike figures... so how accurate are those numbers?

They are including both strikes reported by the US and adversaries, and there are even a few charts that have them broken down by that metric.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Solkanar512 posted:

On a related note, when you take delivery of your own commercial airliner (either for commercial or private service), you have to go through TSA screening before you can fly on your own plane.

That's mostly because there is functionaly no difference between a incendiary cruse missile and a fully fueled jetliner.

Meanwhile prop aircraft are a civic with wings and a few Jerry cans of extra fuel.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Crows Turn Off posted:

a lot of strikes were counted by ngos and other groups that would just keep a tally whenever a missile would fall out of the sky and there'd be scraps of missile everywhere with english on it. so it was never very hard to track them on an absolute level.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I wonder if the new sealed things are related to this?

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1559282760984006658?t=74V3v3gKOqbtZl1fBGmKzA&s=19

And on that note does trump have the affidavit?

cr0y fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 15, 2022

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

I don't think the President is considered staff and, even if he was, it wouldn't be active anymore now.

He said he had 3 passports seized and 2 were active.

It's also possible he's not telling the truth or is confused about his passport statuses.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Epicurius posted:

It's also possible he's not telling the truth or is confused about his passport statuses.

Or they didn't take them at all and he's just stoking flames.

These people say absolutely anything they want regardless of how devoid of fact it is. Just like gym Jordan saying 15 FBI whistleblowers have approached him about the deep state or whatever.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

cr0y posted:

Or they didn't take them at all and he's just stoking flames.

This is true. I mean, I know it's hard to believe since Trump is such an honest and reliable individual, but....

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cr0y posted:

I wonder if the new sealed things are related to this?

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1559282760984006658?t=74V3v3gKOqbtZl1fBGmKzA&s=19

And on that note does trump have the affidavit?

No. He wants it because it will identify which people around him talked to the FBI.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Another option would be a non US passport, there are several countries that grant citizenship if you invest enough.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
imo the passports are by far the least salacious detail of the entire thing, unless they were, like, in a box with a bunch of cash and stuff marked ts/sci

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Herstory Begins Now posted:

imo the passports are by far the least salacious detail of the entire thing, unless they were, like, in a box with a bunch of cash and stuff marked ts/sci

Inside the safe and off to the side were a bunch of nuclear codes sticking haphazardly out of a carryon labled "bug out bag". The passports were in there, naturally.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
The Gov doesn't take your extra passport, or at least the never took my extra Peace Corps passport after I was done. I could still travel with it and everything. I imagine Trump had an extra for being the PRES, and kept it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

borkencode posted:

Another option would be a non US passport, there are several countries that grant citizenship if you invest enough.

I think along the line Trump having citizenship in another country would have been an issue before this.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

a lot of strikes were counted by ngos and other groups that would just keep a tally whenever a missile would fall out of the sky and there'd be scraps of missile everywhere with english on it. so it was never very hard to track them on an absolute level.

This bears repeating when you're talking about the US bombing foreigners--the US doesn't try to disguise where the bombs are coming from. We want the survivors to know we did it and that there's more where that came from, and that they could be next

Third parties tallying them up is kind of trivial in light of that

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

I think along the line Trump having citizenship in another country would have been an issue before this.

More's the pity, since Trump having been secretly born in Kenya would really complete the perfect projection record we've been seeing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Feds are denying that they took the passports

https://twitter.com/NorahODonnell/status/1559312970173259784?s=20&t=9UWtGwj5SZF0RG43I0_qcw

Typically they aren't going to do that without a court order

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/NorahODonnell/status/1559312970173259784?s=20&t=9UWtGwj5SZF0RG43I0_qcw

Well, now we know why his claim that he had three passports and the FBI seized all of them made no sense.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Called it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

How I assume it went down,

quote:

Trump: Where's my passport!

Crony: Uhh, I'm not sure, let me jus—

Trump: FBI took my passport!