Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"The mod forum" is wherever mods post away from the prying eyes of other posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ardennes posted:

I actually don’t know if having mods coming in to QCS threads to troll was a smart move.

I agree with this and please do not associate CSPAM mods with one D&D mod's bad decision to troll a QCS thread. imo QCS of all places should be a forum for mods to engage sincerely, and if they aren't going to do that they shouldn't engage there at all. I found it very frustrating that a D&D mod went into a QCS thread to poo poo up the place by misleading people about what politics moderation is currently like on this site.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's smart if you want to derail threads and provide cover for an admin to close it, so you never have to deal with the issue that was brought up. It is 100% part of the moderator manual, because they do it basically in every thread. That, or they studiously ignore someone having a meltdown and use them as the excuse, rather than step in.

i can tell you that mods don't do dumb poo poo out of some sinister hidden motive to give an admin cover to close a thread or not deal with an issue or something, admins are perfectly good at closing threads and not dealing with issues all on their own. mods do dumb poo poo because mods are dumbasses just like everyone else on this site and sometimes a mod gets the uncontrollable urge to troll people or make stupid jokes.

Personally I don't like it when mods do trolling where the whole basis of the troll is lying about what modding is like, because it's exploiting an imbalanced power dynamic where the target has no way to verify what the mod is saying and so either has to take it on faith that it's true or not true based on their current opinion of SA moderation. I think that's an unhealthy dynamic to encourage. I guess this is kind of like my general dislike of comedy sixers in serious forums because the whole joke underlying a comedy sixer is that a mod has some tiny amount of power and can use it arbitrarily. I'm all for mods being as close to regular posters as possible, and part of what that means to me is not abusing the tiny amount of power an internet janitor has, which means not lying about things other posters can't see no matter how funny you might think it would be in the moment.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

vyelkin posted:

I agree with this and please do not associate CSPAM mods with one D&D mod's bad decision to troll a QCS thread. imo QCS of all places should be a forum for mods to engage sincerely, and if they aren't going to do that they shouldn't engage there at all. I found it very frustrating that a D&D mod went into a QCS thread to poo poo up the place by misleading people about what politics moderation is currently like on this site.

Yeah I don’t think CSpam was seriously involved, but I think it a more general sense it is a troubling dynamic. The thread was over a sixer, it wasn’t a super serious deal, but at the same time, it wasn’t helpful at a time when trust is low.

To spit it out, CSpam mods and posters seem to generally have a decent dynamic, the dynamic with D&D seems to be combative. The general point I have been driving at is it seems like an issue that is isn’t going away, and there needs to be a steps to keep it from boiling over it. Too late for a buffer or any type of mediation?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:42 on Aug 15, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

6ers from IkS are fine . 6ers from mods and admins can be the start of a Ramp so are different entirely

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Andrew "Nice" Clay

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

6ers from IkS are fine . 6ers from mods and admins can be the start of a Ramp so are different entirely

i thought ramp was just a dnd thing and cspam didn't have an official ramp policy. Or am I wrong about that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was speaking generally . I don’t know if cspam does that specifically

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Yeah I don’t think CSpam was seriously involved, but I think it a more general sense it is a troubling dynamic. The thread was over a sixer, it wasn’t a super serious deal, but at the same time, it wasn’t helpful at a time when trust is low.

To spit it out, CSpam mods and posters seem to generally have a decent dynamic, the dynamic with D&D seems to be combative. The general point I have been driving at is it seems like an issue that is isn’t going away, and there needs to be a steps to keep it from boiling over it. Maybe it is too late for a buffer or any type of mediation?
The C-SPAM mods shouldn't be expected to answer for the conditions of D&D so I'd prefer not to discuss D&D moderation here but as an admin, I don't want to be dismissive of it. Have you tried discussing your concerns with Koos?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just go to any of the thunderdome threads with a pure heart and plea for assistance. Some poster will take your case to the pms or QCS. Having it be sanctioned, authorized, and stood up by the mods seems counter to the intention.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

copy posted:

i thought ramp was just a dnd thing and cspam didn't have an official ramp policy. Or am I wrong about that?

I don't think we've intentionally ramped anybody in the past year

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

vyelkin posted:

evel knievel shakes his head

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

copy posted:

There is no official ramp policy in C-SPAM but if someone is just plain awful, they're gonna get heavier probes for the same poo poo, on account of being just awful.

This is very much the exception to the norm, where even posters who get dinged more frequently don't necessarily end up with probes that are outside the norm, even for something they do frequently.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wait holdup. We just talked about it in the thread some time ago. Alec was ramped.

But yeah I getcha, 8 months ago is still like in the before times so whatever, I don't wanna litigate it, but that's what happens with a bad ramp. I think I am a ramp success story with PYF Saga, so there's that counter-counter example of a thing that happens.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alec was awful and we're all better off that he's not here.

But he never did anything super bad. Just a general miasma of live journal-ing weirdness and just the worst sort of presence. If ramping is what took him out good

copy
Jul 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

I was speaking generally . I don’t know if cspam does that specifically

oh apologies friend the context didnt click for me.

vyelkin posted:

Azathoth posted:

There is no official ramp policy in C-SPAM but if someone is just plain awful, they're gonna get heavier probes for the same poo poo, on account of being just awful.

This is very much the exception to the norm, where even posters who get dinged more frequently don't necessarily end up with probes that are outside the norm, even for something they do frequently.

ty for responding and clarifying also

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Alec was awful and we're all better off that he's not here.

But he never did anything super bad. Just a general miasma of live journal-ing weirdness and just the worst sort of presence. If ramping is what took him out good

Alec made vlogs while driving with his kid in the backseat, and posted other things that made it clear he valued internet clout more than the safety and security of his own children. Even without the divorced dad energy and weird obsession with being the main character of the trump thread, he did more than enough super bad things to be permabanned.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Azathoth posted:

they're gonna get heavier probes for the same poo poo, on account of being just awful.

*cough*

Also, I do think Alec is illustrative here. The point of the increased probes and bans was to give him a chance to step back before the perma. He was told unequivocally that he needed to change or be perma'ed and he made his choice. Also, there's no like "probe ramp handbook" so when he was doing his poo poo, I was sorta flying by the seat of my pants as a new mod.

If the same thing were to happen to any other poster, I would hope that it would be made equally clear that they'd gotten to a point where either a perma is in their future or at least a ban+30 every time they gently caress up. It should go without saying that this is something extraordinary and not something that would be done to the worst of the worst.

If you're concerned that you're the worst of the worst, well maybe sit down and have a good think about how your posting led you to think that. Or PM me and we can discuss.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Azathoth posted:

*cough*

Also, I do think Alec is illustrative here. The point of the increased probes and bans was to give him a chance to step back before the perma. He was told unequivocally that he needed to change or be perma'ed and he made his choice. Also, there's no like "probe ramp handbook" so when he was doing his poo poo, I was sorta flying by the seat of my pants as a new mod.

If the same thing were to happen to any other poster, I would hope that it would be made equally clear that they'd gotten to a point where either a perma is in their future or at least a ban+30 every time they gently caress up. It should go without saying that this is something extraordinary and not something that would be done to the worst of the worst.

If you're concerned that you're the worst of the worst, well maybe sit down and have a good think about how your posting led you to think that. Or PM me and we can discuss.

ramping handbook:

1. ramp that bitch
2. ???
3. perma!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I should clarify "bad ramp". It was bad because the delays in cutting dude off caused posting damage or whatever you would call New Years. But also also also extenuating circumstances and regime change and internet posts so like...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

vyelkin posted:

i can tell you that mods don't do dumb poo poo out of some sinister hidden motive to give an admin cover to close a thread or not deal with an issue or something, admins are perfectly good at closing threads and not dealing with issues all on their own. mods do dumb poo poo because mods are dumbasses just like everyone else on this site and sometimes a mod gets the uncontrollable urge to troll people or make stupid jokes.

Personally I don't like it when mods do trolling where the whole basis of the troll is lying about what modding is like, because it's exploiting an imbalanced power dynamic where the target has no way to verify what the mod is saying and so either has to take it on faith that it's true or not true based on their current opinion of SA moderation. I think that's an unhealthy dynamic to encourage. I guess this is kind of like my general dislike of comedy sixers in serious forums because the whole joke underlying a comedy sixer is that a mod has some tiny amount of power and can use it arbitrarily. I'm all for mods being as close to regular posters as possible, and part of what that means to me is not abusing the tiny amount of power an internet janitor has, which means not lying about things other posters can't see no matter how funny you might think it would be in the moment.
Just want to say I appreciate this post, and I do see C-SPAM mods be way better in recent times than they used to be, and than is the rule for mods coming from other forums. I do wonder though if you would not be better off more clearly drawing a line between you and other mods when they start acting like idiots in QCS, actively calling them out for making poo poo worse. Historically, mods that do that basically become QCS darlings, and that'd certainly be a change from the reputation C-SPAM mods had like a year ago or whatever.

vyelkin posted:

Alec made vlogs while driving with his kid in the backseat, and posted other things that made it clear he valued internet clout more than the safety and security of his own children. Even without the divorced dad energy and weird obsession with being the main character of the trump thread, he did more than enough super bad things to be permabanned.
Did he post images/videos of his kids? I feel like that alone should be banworthy, though I wouldn't be opposed to a lot stricter rules about "self-doxxing" either.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

I should clarify "bad ramp". It was bad because the delays in cutting dude off caused posting damage or whatever you would call New Years. But also also also extenuating circumstances and regime change and internet posts so like...

Yeah, to be specific, by the time I first became involved in the Alec bullshit in November, he'd already done enough to earn a perma and should have been gone then. It didn't happen because that was shortly after a near complete turnover in the mod team. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Cringe.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I do think it's important to say that being polite and respectful to people who are angry at you in QCS is not an advanced form of trolling that only I have discovered. like, everyone should be able to give input even if they're being kind of a dork about it. Larry et al have been on the forums for a super long time and has personally been affected by bullshit unfair modding stuff. I'm not going to ignore him because he's being negative- that's probably the best type of feedback because he's genuinely okay with being honest about how he feels

Ardennes, I think you also have good input, and I'm sorry if it looks like I'm trolling people by being nice to them. but I'm still not going to stop being myself/being nice because it comes off trolly to genuinely talk to and engage with people the way I do. this is 100% how I interact with parents, clients, etc., irl, and it's the way I feel comfortable talking to people about feedback. My job is incredibly focused on supervision and accepting critical feedback from people with more knowledge and experience than you, and I am being sincere when I say that I like talking this way on and off the forums in those situations.

I can always work on how I talk to people on SA, but I like being authentic and genuine when I interact with others. If you think I'm being a dick by being nice, I don't really know how to convince you that I'm not

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just want to say I appreciate this post, and I do see C-SPAM mods be way better in recent times than they used to be, and than is the rule for mods coming from other forums. I do wonder though if you would not be better off more clearly drawing a line between you and other mods when they start acting like idiots in QCS, actively calling them out for making poo poo worse. Historically, mods that do that basically become QCS darlings, and that'd certainly be a change from the reputation C-SPAM mods had like a year ago or whatever.

In principle I have no problem with mods calling each other out if they're acting dumb in QCS but I personally tend not to check that forum very often unless I know there's an active thread about CSPAM. Most QCS threads are about other stuff that I don't have anything to do with and usually I'd rather just leave those to the admins and mods of the relevant forums.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Did he post images/videos of his kids? I feel like that alone should be banworthy, though I wouldn't be opposed to a lot stricter rules about "self-doxxing" either.

He posted both photos and videos with his kids in them. I can only speak for myself but that was one of the big things that convinced me he was a bad poster that should be banned instead of just a weirdo who preferred making posts in vlog format. It was part of a consistent pattern of attention-seeking behaviour but it was the thing that made it really clear that he valued internet attention more than caring for his own family and well-being.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Azathoth posted:

The C-SPAM mods shouldn't be expected to answer for the conditions of D&D so I'd prefer not to discuss D&D moderation here but as an admin, I don't want to be dismissive of it. Have you tried discussing your concerns with Koos?

It is less “calling to account” and more about the troubling dynamic between the two sub forums and in that sense I do think there is involvement without blame. Honestly, I don’t know what Koos could do on his own either, not so much about this specific example, but more the trend.

I guess it would be a QCS issue but yeah…

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

vyelkin posted:

In principle I have no problem with mods calling each other out if they're acting dumb in QCS but I personally tend not to check that forum very often unless I know there's an active thread about CSPAM. Most QCS threads are about other stuff that I don't have anything to do with and usually I'd rather just leave those to the admins and mods of the relevant forums.
As long as you and your fellow mods remember to tell each other when something insane(ly funny) is going on in QCS that is probably a better idea. I was just thinking if you do happen to be in a thread already.

vyelkin posted:

He posted both photos and videos with his kids in them. I can only speak for myself but that was one of the big things that convinced me he was a bad poster that should be banned instead of just a weirdo who preferred making posts in vlog format. It was part of a consistent pattern of attention-seeking behaviour but it was the thing that made it really clear that he valued internet attention more than caring for his own family and well-being.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. The more poo poo people drag into their posting from real life, the worse posters they usually end up being/becoming, but at least most people have the decency to just post about themselves.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Yeah. I wasn't around for the later Alec stuff but I banned him because he was vlogging while driving with his kids. That's incredibly stupid and dangerous and ban-worthy to me. I didn't base that on his rap sheet, that's just how serious I felt his behaviour was and didn't want him gaining any more attention on this site.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Ardennes posted:

It is less “calling to account” and more about the troubling dynamic between the two sub forums and in that sense I do think there is involvement without blame. Honestly, I don’t know what Koos could do on his own either, not so much about this specific example, but more the trend.

I've interacted with the D&D mods and GBS mods as need be, but honestly I find that CSPAM is busy enough that I don't really have time to deal with other forums. I agree with vyelkin 100% on how to approach being a moderator and want to continue to do that and that means posting in the threads I'm moderating and taking part in the community. I think I've interacted with a few QCS threads recently and sided with the posters when they are demanding better communication and transparency from mods and admins.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Aug 15, 2022

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I had some things to say about that thread but this expresses pretty much all of them. Thank you.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Ardennes, I think you also have good input, and I'm sorry if it looks like I'm trolling people by being nice to them. but I'm still not going to stop being myself/being nice because it comes off trolly to genuinely talk to and engage with people the way I do. this is 100% how I interact with parents, clients, etc., irl, and it's the way I feel comfortable talking to people about feedback. My job is incredibly focused on supervision and accepting critical feedback from people with more knowledge and experience than you, and I am being sincere when I say that I like talking this way on and off the forums in those situations.

I can always work on how I talk to people on SA, but I like being authentic and genuine when I interact with others. If you think I'm being a dick by being nice, I don't really know how to convince you that I'm not

Eh, friendly fire, I was honest when I said I didn’t think CSpam mods are a issue.

quote:

I've interacted with the D&D mods and GBS mods as need be, but honestly I find that CSPAM is busy enough that I don't really have time to deal with other forums. I agree with vyelkin 100% on how to approach being a moderator and want to continue to do that and that means posting in the threads I'm moderating and taking part in the community. I think I've interacted with a few QCS threads recently and sided with the posters when they are demanding better communication and transparency from mods and admins.

Yeah, I was just speaking of a continued issue more involving CSpam in a general sense than its mod team. I guess I wasn’t clear in saying that.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Aug 15, 2022

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Ardennes posted:

Eh, friendly fire, I was honest when I said I didn’t think CSpam mods are a issue.

It's okay, and I appreciate the response. I wish I knew more about mod history and things like that so I could get a better idea of what events people are talking about, but without knowing a ton, I'm just trying to do the best I can without loving up in a big way. the slur probation was genuinely something I didn't have to do/should have thought more about, so the qcs thread was on point about needing more clarity and information on that

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Here on page 33 I will post my FFXIV loredump explaining how D&D and CSPAM both spring from the same arcanist base class and this is why it is important to maintain the jobstone slot. Thank

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Same thing with sexpigs probation. That was way too long and the feedback thread was great for explaining why and how people feel about probe length.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Just to go through some of the ideas people posted:

1) Chaos IK. I'm down for it, I've pitched it to the mods and Az. One idea I had is to let Calibanibal choose it through some kind of thread competition, call it CalibaniBall or Calibanibal Run or something like that. Probably do it monthly. And if he actually wants to do it. Just throwing out ideas at this point though.

2) CSPAM Ombudsperson. I think that if there's a communication breakdown or the need for a messenger that's a failure on moderators not doing their job and I don't really want to give us a patsy or an excuse not to do what we volunteered to do. It's a nice idea but I feel like we should step up in terms of communicating and being forthright.

If discussion on CSPAM and forums stuff carries on I wont close the thread for now.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Aug 15, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

NeatHeteroDude posted:

It's okay, and I appreciate the response. I wish I knew more about mod history and things like that so I could get a better idea of what events people are talking about, but without knowing a ton, I'm just trying to do the best I can without loving up in a big way. the slur probation was genuinely something I didn't have to do/should have thought more about, so the qcs thread was on point about needing more clarity and information on that

It is tough starting out, especially when things are tense. It may seem like there are trip wires all over the place, and they can be.

There has been a long on going debate over terminology. I think there was at some point a discussion (I don’t know how it started) over the term “frog” for the French people, which was related to similar other controversies (such as the issue of ableism). To be clear, I think the probation was absolutely valid (the post was essentially saying “too much of these people exist here” but brought up old memories up previous discussions of where lines on appropriate language are drawn.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mod feedback, I should be allowed to call French people frogs, Italian people meatballs, and British people garbage.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

Mod feedback, I should be allowed to call French people frogs, Italian people meatballs, and British people garbage.

You have my permission to call me a meatball, a wop, and/or a guinea, capice?

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

*italian hand gesture* mama mia! if there’s one-ah thing I love more than-da spaghetti it’s when people-a post onna-da forums with inclusive-a language!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Grover
Aug 6, 2022

by Azathoth

Ardennes posted:

former D&D mod pops into CSPAM feedback thread to discuss D&D's problems and how there is no one to blame, interesting