Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Love people condemning the Aztecs for ritual religious sacrifices as if the inquisition and witch hunts didnt happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Is that David Cross? Not him but another comedian. He looks like someone I used to see on comedy central plus a few decades and a few stone.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Fair, I am known for my fanatical defense of the Salem Witch Trials.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Spazzle posted:

NIF is a very fast hammer.

Isn't there a fusion experiment that's even more 'like a hammer' than the NIF, involving actual pistons or something?

And the NIF was the one used as the 'warp core' set in one of the new Star Trek movies right?

Anyway I'm a cynic and a layman but I think we're going to find that cold fusion is basically impossible at any scale smaller than creating an actual star.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought the warp core set in the new Star Trek movies was a brewery

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
NIF and ITER etc are hot fusion; cold fusion at a profit is pretty conclusively mythical :(

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mister Speaker posted:

Isn't there a fusion experiment that's even more 'like a hammer' than the NIF, involving actual pistons or something?

And the NIF was the one used as the 'warp core' set in one of the new Star Trek movies right?

Anyway I'm a cynic and a layman but I think we're going to find that cold fusion is basically impossible at any scale smaller than creating an actual star.

Cold fusion is impossible. The only people who do cold fusion research are cranks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Cold fusion is impossible even at star-scale, isn't it? Stars are all hot fusion, aren't they?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Then what are we researching? I thought the whole idea was to develop a reactor that has a net energy output. Like a star.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Have you tried breaking things apart, instead of smooshing them together? That might have some use.
Dunno, just spitballing here.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bismuth posted:

Love people condemning the Aztecs for ritual religious sacrifices as if the inquisition and witch hunts didnt happen

Empires are bad OP

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mister Speaker posted:

Then what are we researching? I thought the whole idea was to develop a reactor that has a net energy output. Like a star.

Cold fusion would be that, but at room temperature. Almost certainly impossible with our current understanding of physics.

What we are researching is ways of doing regular ol' hot fusion which will give a net energy output. So basically right now we can do fusion, but it takes more energy to create and sustain/contain the reaction than we get out of the reaction, an energy deficit. If we can hit the break even point (energy in = energy out) then any further improvements or efficiencies puts us in credit.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bismuth posted:

why the heck are we whataboutisming the Aztec Empire in here? Not saying they deserved it, but I don't think it's super controversial to say "hey maybe those sacrifices weren't great."

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Aug 15, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

They did yeah, the Spanish wouldn’t have won with out the massive support they got from the locals. So the Aztec can only blame themselves for what happened there. Shame everyone else also got hosed with them

'the aztecs can only blame themselves' is such a weird thing to say. Like, you get learning that they also had bad elements doesn't really mean they somehow deserved to get wiped off the face of the earth and have their entire homeland colonized and raped, right?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sexpig by night posted:

'the aztecs can only blame themselves' is such a weird thing to say. Like, you get learning that they also had bad elements doesn't really mean they somehow deserved to get wiped off the face of the earth and have their entire homeland colonized and raped, right?

Nobody ITT said the Aztecs deserved anything. They just pointed out that they were unpopular with their neighbors and this was why Cortes was able to do what he did.

Stop being an idiot on social media.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SiKboy posted:

Cold fusion would be that, but at room temperature. Almost certainly impossible with our current understanding of physics.

What we are researching is ways of doing regular ol' hot fusion which will give a net energy output. So basically right now we can do fusion, but it takes more energy to create and sustain/contain the reaction than we get out of the reaction, an energy deficit. If we can hit the break even point (energy in = energy out) then any further improvements or efficiencies puts us in credit.

Ah, thank you. I didn't realize the 'cold' part actually implied a temperature, I thought the whole context was that 'cold' just meant 'more energy than you put in'.

I still think we're going to find that we can't beat gravity for igniting a self-sustaining fusion reaction.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
It's more that we can't beat gravity for containing one; we've been able to ignite them casually since the 50s.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

How to make very small amounts of star and put them in a box where you can feed them like a tamagotchi and get energy out, without the star dying or melting the box.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mister Speaker posted:

Right, exactly. A star works because it's so massive, the pressure at the center fuses elements, which emits light as a byproduct of the reaction. And a star continues to burn because the outwards radiation pressure from the reaction is stronger than the inwards gravitational pressure that triggers the reaction.

The energy required to trigger the fusion is less than what you get out, but you still need a lot of energy to get it started, which means it needs to be hot. And a big issue with fusion reactors is that you have to spend energy on containment also. You can't just put your plasma in, like, a bucket. The reaction temperatures are so hot that molecular bonds can't exist.

There's no physical law stopping a fusion reactor from existing. It's an engineering problem. Making a containment vessel that doesn't leak and can sustain a reaction. And, for magnetic containment, the bigger the volume of the reactor, the less surface area you need to contain, proportionally, so it gets more efficient as you get bigger. But that's an even bigger engineering problem.

Cold fusion is when some guys in the 1980s did some electrochemistry and their water got hotter than they expected, and they decided it was fusion. It was actually just an experimental error. People have been trying to replicate this for decades without success. No plausible mechanism of action exists.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Midnight Voyager posted:

why the heck are we whataboutisming the Aztec Empire in here? Not saying they deserved it, but I don't think it's super controversial to say "hey maybe those sacrifices weren't great."

Can I not believe non-consensual human sacrifice is bad, while also finding it very hypocritical/lovely/racist for people to cheer on the Spanish as a force of good defeating the "evil Aztecs" considering the almost inconceivable levels of human misery Spain caused both at home and abroad?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bismuth posted:

Can I not believe non-consensual human sacrifice is bad, while also finding it very hypocritical/lovely/racist for people to cheer on the Spanish as a force of good defeating the "evil Aztecs" considering the almost inconceivable levels of human misery Spain caused both at home and abroad?

Nobody ITT was cheering on the Spanish, you idiot on social media.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hihohe posted:

Yeah most of the cultures of South america hated each other, that was just politics. Saying everyone hated the Aztecs is like saying everyone hated France in Europe.

They dont deserve a genocide because of local political opinions.

Its funny because Montezuma brought the foreigners in and was very polite to them as you would treat an Emissary. The spanish came in thinking this land was already theirs, accused them of treason, and burned it to the ground.

Cortez wasnt even supposed to be there but assumed if he basically deserted his post and came back with a whole bit of land the king would be alright with it.

the aztec empire was an empire and therefore de facto deserved to die
their subjects didn't though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is empire uncountable or do you get points when one empire conquers another one thus reducing the number of empires but not the quantity of empire.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is that a David Cross character?
e: Goddammit

2nd Amendment posted:

Is that David Cross? Not him but another comedian. He looks like someone I used to see on comedy central plus a few decades and a few stone.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Splicer posted:

Is that a David Cross character?
e: Goddammit

Too much hair.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bismuth posted:

was... was anybody doing that? I saw people going "other people sided with the Spanish because the Aztecs were dicks to them." I saw people saying they could see how that happened. I didn't see anyone jerking off the Spanish for it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Maybe if they'd spent less time on fusion reactors they'd still have their stuff

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Splicer posted:

Maybe if they'd spent less time on fusion reactors they'd still have their stuff

The Aztecs didn't understand atomic theory as we know it today I don't think.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
TENOCHTITLAN DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well yeah they kept sacrificing humans instead of venture capital

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

they knew enough to worship the sun

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/mattxiv/status/1559241132021776387

Matt ain't the idiot.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Aug 16, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean, he kinda is for posting a grift from 4 years ago.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean, he kinda is for posting a grift from 4 years ago.

That works too.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Anybody who thinks they can just show up and buy a bunch of property in an effort to exploit a terribly downtrodden region and poo poo on the people who live there the whole time deserves all the bad things that result from their actions. I hope his truck and all his clothes get stolen too so he has to walk his dumb rear end out of town with nothing left.

edit: there was some lovely goon a few years back who was looking for places to be a landlord, settled on Pine Bluff because there's a university there and prices are low, and popped into the LAN thread to say "hey guys why does this whole place look like a bad neighborhood, is it not a good place to landlord after all?"

I hate to tell you this but you might want to read up on gentrification and see just how many people literally robber baron their way into real estate…:smith:

This poo poo is basically becoming a tale as old as time in America. Literally entire towns founded for companies and mega rich people.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Dabir posted:

I thought the warp core set in the new Star Trek movies was a brewery

It is. A Budweiser brewery.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

dialhforhero posted:

It is. A Budweiser brewery.

So that's the Terrible Secret of Space.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/itzamahel/status/1558433415183142912

Tenochtitlan fell on 13 August 1521, as reckoned on the Julian calendar. On the proleptic Gregorian, it was 23 August.

Only on 23 August 2022 will that day be five hundred and one years in the past.

GOT ’EM.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

CharlestheHammer posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? I was saying the Aztecs shouldn’t be suprised the locals flock to the foreign entity they thought they could use.

The Aztecs weren’t even special in that regard that thing happened a lot in history

oh ok when you said "the Spanish wouldn’t have won with out the massive support they got from the locals", i thought it was ignorant of historical factors like superior weaponry, a devastating and one-sided outbreak of disease and the effective use of the interpreter Malinche to undermine Mocteczuma II's rule, and when you said "So the Aztec can only blame themselves for what happened there. Shame everyone else also got hosed with them", i thought it weird to assign "blame" (your word, i don't think anyone said deserved) to the people whose cities were buried and majority of all writing was destroyed based on your and other goon's quasi-remembered half-truths about a them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Nobody ITT was cheering on the Spanish, you idiot on social media.

Midnight Voyager posted:

was... was anybody doing that? I saw people going "other people sided with the Spanish because the Aztecs were dicks to them." I saw people saying they could see how that happened. I didn't see anyone jerking off the Spanish for it.

Uh..I would have quoted someone ITT if they were. I was talking about people in the twitter thread where there a ton of people doing exactly that, including the tweet that Matt Walsh QRTed that literally called it "the evil Aztec empire"