Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Was trying to recall the broad story of "The Flux" but can't remember how it went, all I can remember is skeletor and his sister, the dog, and the old guy who built some tunnels... Can't even remember what the Flux was - where it came from, what it was doing, where it went...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SecretOfSteel posted:

Was trying to recall the broad story of "The Flux" but can't remember how it went, all I can remember is skeletor and his sister, the dog, and the old guy who built some tunnels... Can't even remember what the Flux was - where it came from, what it was doing, where it went...

Let's see what I remember without looking anything up:

- There's a secret organization originally based out of Gallifrey that grew in scope to encompass agents from multiple species, all run by a contemporary of Rassilon & Omega who was apparently the one who figured out how to allow select Gallifreyans to regenerate thanks to her torture and experimentation on a small child from another universe, who the Master falsely claims to be the Doctor.
- Note, this is apparently different to the OTHER secret organization based out of Gallifrey - The Celestial Intervention Agency.
- This organization (whose name I've forgotten) managed to base their headquarters in the space between universes.
- Their attempts to manage and dictate the entire universe to work within their chosen parameters was becoming increasingly difficult due to the sheer size and scope of the universe, and the interference of people like the Doctor who valued the chaos of personal freedom and choice over imposed "order" from above.
- They decided to just give up on the universe, which is a complete clusterfuck of temporal paradoxes, multiple hyper-advanced technological species and overly complicated fixes, reorders, patches and amendments, and shift to the nearest other universe.
- In order to do this, they needed to generate power/thrust from the Universe they would be abandoning, and so they created the Flux to essentially strip something like 90% of the universe's resources/energy out and allow them to push through into the other universe and treat it like a blank slate.
- Earlier in time, the Doctor in an unknown regeneration had lead a team to stop the Sugar Skull Gang from taking control of a temple on a planet called Time. There is some not entirely illuminating discussion of time and space being separate entities that have been slammed together by the secret organization whose name I can't remember, let's call them the Not-CIA.
- The Sugar Skull Gang got imprisoned, with Daddy Sugar Skull tied up behind a forcefield and Mommy Sugar Skull.... turned into a human for some reason who was also maybe aware of the fact she was an alien but also maybe not? But anyway Daddy Sugar Skull broke out and then released her and she seemed happy about it.
- The Sugar Skull Gang easily kill the lady in charge of the Not-CIA, whose brilliant planning apparently didn't take into consideration that they'd be mad at the boss of the organization that put them in prison.
- The Sugar Skull Gang retakes the temple they lost before, with more not particularly illuminating talk about Time and Space being opposing entities.
- The Earth is protected from the Flux by the good doggies, who then all get wiped out by the Sontarans easily until the last good doggy retakes control of all the ships because apparently he could do that all along but forgot for awhile?
- The Doctor uses the Sontarans plans to wipe out the Cybermen and Daleks to wipe out the Sontarans as well, and they banish Evil Bad Snake-Man who was working with the Sontarans to live on a rock.
- The Doctor returns to face the Sugar Skull Gang, and we find out that Time is just straight up a living, thinking entity? It absorbs the Sugar Skull Gang which it isn't clear is something they're alarmed or happy about.
- Time makes a comment to the Doctor about the Master and disappears.
- It is straight up never covered whether the Flux was reversed or if the universe remains 90% wiped out. The Doctor figured out a way to reverse it but got teleported away by the Sugar Skull Gang before she could implement it. She asked the Ood to do it for her, but the final Flux event showed up anyway so we can assume that he didn't do what she asked, and she had to dump it into The Passenger (the Sugar Skull Gang's personal bag of holding) after it wiped out the Sontarans, Daleks and Cybermen.... so the universe just remains turbofucked and nobody cares?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

The saddest thing about the regeneration will be losing Jodie's incredible boots :sigh:
First pair of women's footwear I ever bought.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

She asked the Ood to do it for her, but the final Flux event showed up anyway so we can assume that he didn't do what she asked, and she had to dump it into The Passenger (the Sugar Skull Gang's personal bag of holding) after it wiped out the Sontarans, Daleks and Cybermen.... so the universe just remains turbofucked and nobody cares?

uhh there was a special after this, right? I haven't seen it yet, but I really figured they'd at least have to acknowledge whether or not most of the universe was destroyed? Then again, the sooner and easier they can do a "lol jk about just like, all of that. just a prank by the master."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

uhh there was a special after this, right? I haven't seen it yet, but I really figured they'd at least have to acknowledge whether or not most of the universe was destroyed? Then again, the sooner and easier they can do a "lol jk about just like, all of that. just a prank by the master."

The Daleks say they've come to assassinate the Doctor because of her co-opting of the Sontaran plan to wipe the Daleks out at the end of Flux (I take it as read that this is just the LATEST reason they want to assassinate her!) so it acknowledges everything that happened in Flux but no further detail is given on whether the universe is still mostly wiped out or not.

I suspect it, along with whatever Timeless Child bullshit Chibnall manages to jam into his last episode, will just quietly be shunted aside and forgotten about for 40 years until a new showrunner decides that it simply MUST come to the forefront of the show again despite the previous 40 years completely contradicting it.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Khanstant posted:

This was covered in a total one (1) short vague line by Dan, a character with no particular insight into the overall state of the universe.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

- There's a secret organization originally based out of Gallifrey that grew in scope to encompass agents from multiple species, all run by a contemporary of Rassilon & Omega who was apparently the one who figured out how to allow select Gallifreyans to regenerate thanks to her torture and experimentation on a small child from another universe, who the Master falsely claims to be the Doctor.
- Note, this is apparently different to the OTHER secret organization based out of Gallifrey - The Celestial Intervention Agency.
- This organization (whose name I've forgotten) managed to base their headquarters in the space between universes.
- Their attempts to manage and dictate the entire universe to work within their chosen parameters was becoming increasingly difficult due to the sheer size and scope of the universe, and the interference of people like the Doctor who valued the chaos of personal freedom and choice over imposed "order" from above.
- They decided to just give up on the universe, which is a complete clusterfuck of temporal paradoxes, multiple hyper-advanced technological species and overly complicated fixes, reorders, patches and amendments, and shift to the nearest other universe.
- In order to do this, they needed to generate power/thrust from the Universe they would be abandoning, and so they created the Flux to essentially strip something like 90% of the universe's resources/energy out and allow them to push through into the other universe and treat it like a blank slate.
- Earlier in time, the Doctor in an unknown regeneration had lead a team to stop the Sugar Skull Gang from taking control of a temple on a planet called Time. There is some not entirely illuminating discussion of time and space being separate entities that have been slammed together by the secret organization whose name I can't remember, let's call them the Not-CIA.
- The Sugar Skull Gang got imprisoned, with Daddy Sugar Skull tied up behind a forcefield and Mommy Sugar Skull.... turned into a human for some reason who was also maybe aware of the fact she was an alien but also maybe not? But anyway Daddy Sugar Skull broke out and then released her and she seemed happy about it.
- The Sugar Skull Gang easily kill the lady in charge of the Not-CIA, whose brilliant planning apparently didn't take into consideration that they'd be mad at the boss of the organization that put them in prison.
- The Sugar Skull Gang retakes the temple they lost before, with more not particularly illuminating talk about Time and Space being opposing entities.
- The Earth is protected from the Flux by the good doggies, who then all get wiped out by the Sontarans easily until the last good doggy retakes control of all the ships because apparently he could do that all along but forgot for awhile?
- The Doctor uses the Sontarans plans to wipe out the Cybermen and Daleks to wipe out the Sontarans as well, and they banish Evil Bad Snake-Man who was working with the Sontarans to live on a rock.
- The Doctor returns to face the Sugar Skull Gang, and we find out that Time is just straight up a living, thinking entity? It absorbs the Sugar Skull Gang which it isn't clear is something they're alarmed or happy about.
- Time makes a comment to the Doctor about the Master and disappears.
- It is straight up never covered whether the Flux was reversed or if the universe remains 90% wiped out. The Doctor figured out a way to reverse it but got teleported away by the Sugar Skull Gang before she could implement it. She asked the Ood to do it for her, but the final Flux event showed up anyway so we can assume that he didn't do what she asked, and she had to dump it into The Passenger (the Sugar Skull Gang's personal bag of holding) after it wiped out the Sontarans, Daleks and Cybermen.... so the universe just remains turbofucked and nobody cares?

That sounds stupid.

But what about the baby???

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Can we stop with the whole "the Master is lying" meme if people are genuinely asking for the plot of the season?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

You might call her "The Other" :smug:

I gotta admit, I checked out of DW since the whole "Timeless Child" and The Thousand Doctors reveal. Like I figure I'll eventually watch the last season, but I have felt zero motivation to do so, which is crazy because I have eagerly anticipated each new season since 1986.

I will be happy to just read these summaries as a curious "what if?" like the Virgin novels or Faction Paradox and I can love it or hate it but ultimately has no bearing on anything in the show, then tune in for RTD2.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
You also forgot that the snake man banished some random alien pilot for not covering up for him, and the pilot had his pregnant space wife looking for him and then the snake man infiltrated UNIT for years and made the UNIT dating even more nonsense. Oh the Weeping Angels decide to work for the not-CIA, and the sugar skull gang's plan is to teleport people in a pocket dimension inside a robot for some reason.

The good bits about Flux:

- The Sontaran Crimea war episode was a legit decent episode that would have been one of the highlights of the Whittaker era without the Flux nonsense.
- Joseph Williamson accidentally making tunnels between time and space could have been a great, moving episode. Instead, it's used as a silly plot device for this.
- Jo Martin is a great Doctor and its a shame she's going to get sidelined rather than being a full numbered incarnation.
- Village of the Angels was a good horror episode and should have been standalone.
- The side characters were fun.
- Whittaker actually gets some fun Doctor-y moments - I liked her trying to comfort the TARDIS as it stresses out, and the bit with the Doctor being split across three sections of time simultaneously was great.

Flux was a microcosm of the Chibnall - some good ideas but bad execution and bad ideas mixed in, and it feels like Whittaker is trying to play the character with, creatively speaking, one arm tied behind her back.

At least let her have a good regeneration speech (and some trousers that fit).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

- Whittaker actually gets some fun Doctor-y moments - I liked her trying to comfort the TARDIS as it stresses out, and the bit with the Doctor being split across three sections of time simultaneously was great.

The 3 Doctors bit was really fun, and I absolutely loved the "interrogation" scene with Evil Snake-Man because it's exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for from the Doctor: her completely turning the tables on her captor and leaving him a blustering mess despite supposedly being in the position of power.

Also I really liked the actor who played Joseph Williamson, and his sheer relief that what he'd done would bear fruit was a lovely touch.

Jo Martin is great, and even if I detest everything else about The Timeless Child nonsense, I hope she is continued to be embraced as a completely valid incarnation of the Doctor.... even if she is from Season 6B instead! :haw:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Who: Season Two trailer

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
London, 1965!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1559544268766810113

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's a lot of discs!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

BBC posted:

The missing two episodes of The Crusade have been reconstructed using off-air photographs and the original broadcast soundtrack,

BOO! Boo this company. I was really hoping they would step up for the the season releases of the series featuring un-animated missing episodes and actually animate them before releasing.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Teek posted:

BOO! Boo this company. I was really hoping they would step up for the the season releases of the series featuring un-animated missing episodes and actually animate them before releasing.

Unfortunately, from what I understand the budget for the box sets does not stretch to animations, and with the BBC America funding deal falling through, it’s not likely we’re going to get more any time soon.

Plus even before BBCA pulled out it was known The Crusade was always going to be a challenge to animate, with multiple characters (I think it was worked out there were be 15+ speaking parts in the missing episodes), costumes and locations needing to be animated.

To be honest, Season 2 was always a better choice given only 2 missing episodes and the unlikeliness of having them animated. It’ll be more disappointing if Season 5 comes out with a recon Wheel in Space…

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Teek posted:

I bet they're using the same reconstruction that's already on DVD. It's okay, but it felt a but limited even by the standards of reconstructions to me; perhaps there were fewer images available than usual for those episodes.

Not as bad as The Myth Makers, though, where the people who made the reconstruction I saw must have had four pictures to work with.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

They’ve not done an official Crusade recon yet?

The best they had was the raw audio on Lost in Time - needless to say there will be an excellent recon on this set.

The Myth Makers suffers as there are only a handful of photos left, so any reconstruction needs a lot of photoshop work to make it watchable! The Crusade has a full set of 75-odd telesnaps per episode (as well as two existing episodes), so there’s a lot more material to pull from!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaroff posted:

They’ve not done an official Crusade recon yet?

The best they had was the raw audio on Lost in Time - needless to say there will be an excellent recon on this set.

I recalled there being a full reconstruction on that, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Well that simply is delightful!

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 16, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

I recalled there being a full reconstruction on that, but maybe I'm misremembering.

I can't find anything about a recon, just the audio track CD release along with the surviving episodes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yeah, season 2! :woop:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Season 2! Finally David Tennant! :haw:

Seriously though, I'm so used to hearing Maureen O'Brien in BF sounding like a 22 year old it's a bit weird seeing her speak with that voice in person now.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
They really are getting crazily good at those little tiny scenes featuring the actors revisting their roles for these ads.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They should do Season 1 while we’ve still got William Russell and Carole Ann Ford with us. :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

They should do Season 1 while we’ve still got William Russell and Carole Ann Ford with us. :ohdear:

If I remember right, they're only missing Marco Polo (which has a ton of photo stills from memory) and a couple episodes of Reign of Terror, right? So it's certainly doable.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
They did animated recons for the Reign of Terror, although I don’t know how they’d upscale those.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, they're only missing Marco Polo (which has a ton of photo stills from memory) and a couple episodes of Reign of Terror, right? So it's certainly doable.

Reign of Terror already has an animation done from about 10 years ago, and Marco Polo has complete tele-snaps for 6 of the 7 episodes (the missing set is for the episode not directed by Waris Hussein, who had the others), but a wide range of publicity and similar photos.

The tricky episodes for reconstructions are the ones with no tele-snaps, which are:
Galaxy 4 (which has one already made)
Mission to the Unknown (no material aside from behind the scenes photos)
The Myth Makers (no existing material aside from a few off-screen clips)
The Daleks’ Master Plan (3 episodes, several clips, a lot of behind the scenes photos and a few off-screen photos of episode 7)
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew’s Eve (no material aside from behind the scenes photos)
The Celestial Toymaker (one episode and behind the scenes photos)
The Space Pirates (one episode, a few clips and minimal behind the scenes photos)

There’s also The Invasion, but that has an animation already!

The thing is that Loose Cannon have proved you can make a watchable recon of all those stories and most of those recons are anything from 10-20 years old (Master Plan came out in 2003!) Since the same people are making the reconstructions for the bluray releases, I’m confident whatever they produce will be better than the excellent recons we already have!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Watching that season 2 trailer… is Susan NOT the Dcotor’s biological granddaughter? I always thought she was

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Watching that season 2 trailer… is Susan NOT the Dcotor’s biological granddaughter? I always thought she was

There has never been any reason to believe she wasn't beyond Andrew Cartmel at one point in the 80s wanting to turn the Doctor into some fully-formed adult reconstruction of "The Other" from the founding of Gallifrey, which thankfully never saw the light of day.

To be fair, even if she wasn't his biological granddaughter she'd still be his granddaughter, because found/adopted/informal etc family's as valid (and sometimes more so) than anything to do with blood or genetics, but I have no reason to assume she is anything other than what she was always stated to be, which is the last living member of the Doctor's original family.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Susan is the Timeless Child is actually a story that might work if she'd been named any more recently than the 80s.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Magician's Apprentice posted:

CLARA: Since when do you care about the Doctor?
MISSY: Since always. Since the Cloister Wars. Since the night he stole the moon and the President's wife. Since he was a little girl. One of those was a lie. Can you guess which one?

Well, with the Timeless Children plot, I guess that's not the lie out of that list

Also a small subset of the Whodom think Susan might've been the President's wife, and thus part of why he fled with a museum piece (or was stolen away, if you so choose)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Susan is the Timeless Child is actually a story that might work if she'd been named any more recently than the 80s.

She wasn't named but she was referenced on-screen, including Twelve having a picture of her on his desk when he was a professor.

May as well declare that Susan IS the Doctor, having been thrown back in time as the Timeless Child, and that the Doctor has infinite regenerations because she's part of a massive bootstrap paradox. And Time's promise that she won't regenerate (in Flux) will turn out to mean that she's going to degenerate/relapse instead next time out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oooh Degeneration.

Can't wait to hear Tenant say that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Even with the Timeless Child, the Fugitive Doctor was basically remade into a child version of the First Doctor and raised in the Academy as normal, with all of their previous lives erased. Making the whole thing even more pointless.

Susan is considered the Doctor's actual granddaughter - if that's by the traditional sense, by Looms, or something else varies from writer to writer. Some stories imply Susan wasn't Loomed, and that's why the Doctor decided to leave.

The jokey Blu-Ray trailers are fun, but these little epilogue films that fit into canon are wonderful. We've had Ace, Peri (which makes Big Finish's five Peris existing at once thing canon) and Vicki now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OldMemes posted:

Peri (which makes Big Finish's five Peris existing at once thing canon)

Wait what?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Wait what?

It's from Peri and the Piscon Paradox, (written by Bryant's boyfriend Nev Fountain). It basically offers a solution to every contradictory explanation of what happened to the character (novelisation, TV version original draft -- I think -- Bad Therapy, etc.).

It's that the timelords hosed up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Merchandising!

https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1560305983766728704

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Huh. Wonder if it's gonna focus on any incarnations as Legendary Commander types, or if WotC will only be allowed to use the monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Theres at least been artwork of 4 and 11.