Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/wotspoilers/status/1556069214187687936?s=21&t=JVuJYh3qywkBdK5LehaqEg

:eyepop: Apparently this is a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's the only reason Lan is alive, at least twice over.

wat.

That's not what I mean by "biggest plot relevant things"

Bacon Biscuits
Mar 2, 2013

St0rmD posted:

I loved that episode, it was a fantastic exploration of the Warder bond, but it was somewhat out of place in Season 1, and the time spent on it definitely could have been better spent on actual book 1 events that were removed or severely truncated.

I think the grieving Warder ep could have fit in with presumptive S2, when the girls should be in the Tower for months studying the Power. A scene of Elayne witnessing a Warder being bonded would work well here, providing foreshadowing.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

tsob posted:

The thing is, it could be a relevant flashback much, much later in the story when Rand is disagreeing with Egwene over how to handle the seals. That's about the only time it'd be relevant though, and wasn't immediately resonant of anything in the episode itself. Or the season as a whole. It's just a really weird flashback to include. Maybe they originally planned to do something else in an Age of Legends flashback, but problems arose due to Covid; at which point, why do anything at all in the Age of Legends if the only thing you can manage is something with no real relevance to anything that'll happen for seasons to come? Just use the time you allotted for the flashback to do something else entirely instead. They could have made the Blight seem more than a football field long, for one.
The part that bothered me about the AOL flashback was that they've omitted the impetus for LTT's plan. The Light was losing The War of Power, and was running out of time to turn the tide.. The show has actually done this with Moiraines' speech too. "The arrogance of men". I'm fine with it if it becomes a plot relevant detail or twist later on and gets revealed. But I don't have that confidence in the show.

tsob posted:

The problem I'm complaining about isn't the aesthetic they went with though. Yes, shooting on location in a jungle would absolutely have made it look better, but Moiraine and Rand appear to only travel through the Blight for a couple of hours rather than the two days we get in the book just to reach some foot hills inside it, with the implication it stretches far longer. Nor do they come across any appreciable danger. Not even the implied danger signalled entirely through hunting calls or distant views of creatures breaking the surface of a lake in the ruins of Malkier that we get in the books. Which makes it look far less dangerous.
I think saving budget on the Blight is actually one of the choices the show made that I most agree with. The Blight and the monsters there in book 1 are not something the books really revisit to any meaningful degree.

CainFortea posted:

The fact that there's plenty of people still complaining that the show dared to waste time focusing on one of the single biggest plot relevant details of the world shows that whatever the screen time, it's effects last a lot longer than 40 minutes.
How are the suicidal tendencies of Warders after losing their AS plot relevant in anyway at this point? When do we first encounter or witness an AS or Warder lose their counterpart in the books? Book 4 when Alana loses Owein?

I think in a 12-16 episode season the Stepan stuff would have been fine, but as is it really stands out as occupying way too much time in an extremely compressed season.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 8, 2022

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

CainFortea posted:

Know what's dumber than the love triangle thing?

People who think there is a love triangle.

Dumbest of all are people who think there were no hints of a love triangle, just because the resolution to the plot was "no love triangle".

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ve seen enough CW shows to recognize a love triangle. I’m an expert, thanks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

th3t00t posted:

I think saving budget on the Blight is actually one of the choices the show made that I most agree with. The Blight and the monsters there in book 1 are not something the books really revisit to any meaningful degree.

I'd actually disagree a little here. I thought the return to the Blight with Faile in the final book was made a lot more meaningful by its absence.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Trollocs also disappear from the books for a pretty long time. I think Jordan just didn't have anything new to do with them. IMO, Book 4 and onward don't feel like the same series.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It is, admittedly, loving wild when in one of the last books an army of Trollocs tens of thousands strong just pops up out of nowhere and Rand and half a dozen Ashamen just totally waste them

It’s a weird gut check on the reader. “Hey, remember when five of these guys in one place were terrifying?”

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The whole Dumai's Well is still one of my favorite scenes in the book. The brand new Asha'man just wasting everyone. I need to sit down and do a full re-read and finish it this time.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It is, admittedly, loving wild when in one of the last books an army of Trollocs tens of thousands strong just pops up out of nowhere and Rand and half a dozen Ashamen just totally waste them

It’s a weird gut check on the reader. “Hey, remember when five of these guys in one place were terrifying?”

I imagine an armored cavalry charge was terrifying up until people starting facing them with rows of cannons. In mean in the the real world, and also the books.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I don't even think that lasts the first book, but it definitely doesn't last through to the second when Rand becomes a legend among the wolves by slaying loads of them at once. Which never really felt paid off, as a concept. Then in the third he uses Saidin through Callandor to destroy an entire army of them.

Honestly, they were only ever threatening with numbers in the first place, mostly to the young and sheltered protagonists and Tam, Lan and others take them out quickly even when surprised at the start of the first book. Fades were much more of a threat from the start, though even they lose any real sense of threat with all the protagonists after a few books. Which is why you had Gholam, Slayer, Forsaken etc.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gonna start my third reread today. Aiming to be done by season 2 release :sun:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Holy poo poo, please. I mean, it's possible she just did a different accent for the book. Like someone told her to stay accurate for the books, while the show wasn't. But still, this is a very good sign.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is there a sample of her doing so somewhere online?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

tsob posted:

Is there a sample of her doing so somewhere online?

https://twitter.com/lordmatcauthon/status/1556086676971216896?s=21&t=8oqk3v8Kjj2-eGlmDvKO9g

cailleask
May 6, 2007

:vince: holy sht

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

well I might be some country slave owner, but I knew a land that needs a Returning when I sees one

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I never really noticed or cared about Narg much myself, but having finished the books recently and started exposing myself to people talking about the show in various ways, he seems to come up surprisingly often for such a tiny part. As such, Wizards of the Coast just announced some stuff about the future of D'n'D, including a new race called Ardlings, which are basically heavenly beings with beastial faces, in order to better reflect older depictions of angels or something. Which means you can create Narg, or any Trolloc really, in D'n'D now and have a beast faced 9 foot monstrosity. Which, while heavenly in the lore can probably be set with demonic stats with your DM's permission.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

He's basically a random cult favorite, nothing more

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Narg no hurt you...Narg important. Narg lynchpin of entire story

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
He's not important to the story, not like Bela :allears:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

DarkHorse posted:

He's not important to the story, not like Bela :allears:

This one has always been the worst and most cringey of WoT fandom's tics.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

How are u posted:

Cool

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

How are u posted:

Are you saying Bela isn’t cool? Or Narg? I’ll fight you either way, I just want to know what we’re fighting about.

It’s a lot less tiresome to read theories about how Jar Jar is a Sith Lord, or Bela is the Creator, than it is to read about how predestination and prophecy in WoT mean Rand is some sort of sex-pest because everyone around him lacks the ability to give consent. I’ve read through this entire thread. Believe me, it gets old.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

tsob posted:

I never really noticed or cared about Narg much myself, but having finished the books recently and started exposing myself to people talking about the show in various ways, he seems to come up surprisingly often for such a tiny part. As such, Wizards of the Coast just announced some stuff about the future of D'n'D, including a new race called Ardlings, which are basically heavenly beings with beastial faces, in order to better reflect older depictions of angels or something. Which means you can create Narg, or any Trolloc really, in D'n'D now and have a beast faced 9 foot monstrosity. Which, while heavenly in the lore can probably be set with demonic stats with your DM's permission.

I think part of Narg coming up a lot is that he's not only one of the first Trollocs you meet back when they're still new and intimidating monsters rather than evil canon fodder, he's also the only named Trolloc in the whole series, the only one with lines, the only one who does anything other than brute force attacks.

Since EotW is deliberately Lord of the Rings and Trollocs are its Orcs, compare to Tolkien. Orcs get a lot of characterization, with individual names and personalities, distinct groups, conversations indicative of their mindset and motivations, and so on. Tolkien was unclear/inconsistent on precisely where they came from or how far from redemption they were, but it was clear that they were people, however twisted and miserable.

By contrast, Wheel of Time is really clear on the origins of Trollocs but way less clear on how much they're people. What their mindsets are past "fight and eat", their culture if they have one to speak of, how much the various bands differ apart from symbols. Whether they even have souls that can be reborn. If you wonder any of that, the only view of a Trolloc that isn't a faceless, nameless, voiceless minion is Narg.

I don't personally put much weight in Narg since he feels like one of those early oddities that Jordan left aside as he got more of a handle on where he was going with the plot. But if what Trollocs are is a big question for you, he's a mystery to explore..

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Most of the Bela stuff is tongue and cheek cause she just somehow ends up surviving the whole series somehow.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I remember reading the wheel of time forums in like 2004ish and there was tons of bela and narg talk. Everyone ran out of things to really talk about while waiting for books

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I read a lot of Theoryland around when KoD released and it was mostly brutal knock down drag out fights about if LTT was 'real' or a construct Rand made to deal with his memories.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zore posted:

I read a lot of Theoryland around when KoD released and it was mostly brutal knock down drag out fights about if LTT was 'real' or a construct Rand made to deal with his memories.

This reminds me of something I found odd about the show once I'd read more of the books: I love the show's decision to have shadowy figures whispering to Logain, but when Moiraine rejects him as the Dragon Reborn she does so because she says that past lives are just the whisperings of madness after he talks about them. Which is fine on it's own really, because she can be wrong within the narrative, but it's the smile she gets as soon as he says it that kind of makes me wonder about this decision, because it makes it look like as soon as she hears that she knows he's not the Dragon. Which implies the show thinks that she's right, even though the same thing will be true of Rand. So even if she might the right call for the wrong reasons, in retrospect there's nothing about the call itself that makes sense. She could have hosed everything up because of a snap decision based on completely inaccurate information.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

tsob posted:

This reminds me of something I found odd about the show once I'd read more of the books: I love the show's decision to have shadowy figures whispering to Logain, but when Moiraine rejects him as the Dragon Reborn she does so because she says that past lives are just the whisperings of madness after he talks about them. Which is fine on it's own really, because she can be wrong within the narrative, but it's the smile she gets as soon as he says it that kind of makes me wonder about this decision, because it makes it look like as soon as she hears that she knows he's not the Dragon. Which implies the show thinks that she's right, even though the same thing will be true of Rand. So even if she might the right call for the wrong reasons, in retrospect there's nothing about the call itself that makes sense. She could have hosed everything up because of a snap decision based on completely inaccurate information.

Yeah, that's a weird moment in the show. Especially because the premise presented by Logain to prove he is The Dragon -- that he hears the whispers of memories of previous versions of himself because reincarnation is a Wheel that offers the opportunity to learn from the past and become better -- is literally the thing Rand realizes that causes him to synthesize Lews Therin's memories and become Jesus-Rand. It's the defining culmination of the books' meta-philosophy, and Moiraine rejects it out of hand as madness.

I'm not sure what to make of that other than that someone read the books but didn't really understand? Or is possibly trying to set up some larger "Moiraine is misguided" arc?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Yeah, that's a weird moment in the show. Especially because the premise presented by Logain to prove he is The Dragon -- that he hears the whispers of memories of previous versions of himself because reincarnation is a Wheel that offers the opportunity to learn from the past and become better -- is literally the thing Rand realizes that causes him to synthesize Lews Therin's memories and become Jesus-Rand. It's the defining culmination of the books' meta-philosophy, and Moiraine rejects it out of hand as madness.

I'm not sure what to make of that other than that someone read the books but didn't really understand? Or is possibly trying to set up some larger "Moiraine is misguided" arc?

The Aes Sedai being horribly misguided whether due to arrogance or just lost information is a pretty big thing throughout the books. Most do assume they're always right no matter what, and Moiraine isn't immune to that. It could be how they lead to the doorframes and she gets better info there.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Even in the books after Zen Rand happens it's pretty clear that it's the madness interacting with him being the Dragon that results in him being able to integrate the personalities and having it be more than just a voice. I'm pretty sure that they did that so that later when he starts hearing the voices we know it's the madness without having to have a subplot about what if it's just him being the Dragon. Since there's no question by that point, they don't need it to be verification.

In other words, she dismisses it for Logain not so much because he can't be the Dragon if he's hearing voices, but rather his evidence that he's the Dragon is that he's going mad. Which yes, the Dragon will do, but it is by no means specific to him.

Gambor fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 19, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

How are u posted:

Actually I just checked and you are the cringiest part of WoT fandom.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CainFortea posted:

No it's me

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gambor posted:

Even in the books after Zen Rand happens it's pretty clear that it's the madness interacting with him being the Dragon that results in him being able to integrate the personalities and having it be more than just a voice. I'm pretty sure that they did that so that later when he starts hearing the voices we know it's the madness without having to have a subplot about what if it's just him being the Dragon. Since there's no question by that point, they don't need it to be verification.

There's several instances of verification that other men going mad hear voices later in the story though. Including Cadsuane slightly mocking Rand at one point by asking if he's hearing voices yet, because men suffering Saidin induced madness often do. I'm not entirely sure why you think it's clear that Rand being the Dragon and being mad is what allows him to integrate the personalities either. It's entirely possible given what we see in the books that the other men hearing voices are just hearing voices that mean nothing and aren't connected to past lives, while Lews Therin is the one genuine past life interacting with someone (beyond what Mat has going on).

Gambor posted:

In other words, she dismisses it for Logain not so much because he can't be the Dragon if he's hearing voices, but rather his evidence that he's the Dragon is that he's going mad. Which yes, the Dragon will do, but it is by no means specific to him.

That's not evidence he's not the Dragon Reborn in that case though? It's just him failing to provide the right evidence. Which doesn't mean he doesn't have it, just that he doesn't know what specific thing she's looking for. Which is a real stupid thing to hang your decision on.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

CainFortea posted:

:iceburn:

e: its actually the wheel takes couple. gently caress them.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Listening to ToM for the second time and am at the part where Aviendha meets with the mysterious Aiel woman (Nakomi) on her way back to Rhuidean. Is there any consensus as to who she's supposed to be?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How are u posted:

:iceburn:

e: its actually the wheel takes couple. gently caress them.

Nah they're fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Paddyo posted:

Listening to ToM for the second time and am at the part where Aviendha meets with the mysterious Aiel woman (Nakomi) on her way back to Rhuidean. Is there any consensus as to who she's supposed to be?

I think that mystery is getting revealed this year with the new companion book thing coming out.