Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

wtf mods? YOU'RE RIGHT HERE SEB YOU EVEN RESPONDED TO IT

This is true. Pirates! Gold for the Sega Genesis is probably the easiest way to play these days. Good soundtrack too, especially during land battles.

Agreed but expanded to using analogue sticks at all. Fuckin hate them.

:frogout:

Jimmy is an incel

It's a great game but man they made stupid as gently caress decisions like locking progression behind kneeling at an unremarkable dead end for an unreasonable length of time while having a specific item

:hmmyes:

:hmmyes:

Obviously Barbarian is so self evidently a perfect game, it didn't need any further commentary. IPSO FATTOAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Caesar Saladin posted:

The megaman games are really the only nes games that feel immediately playable and responsive by todays standards

Tell me you didn't grow up playing NES games without telling me that you didn't grow up playing NES games.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
megafellow

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

neato burrito posted:

Tell me you didn't grow up playing NES games without telling me that you didn't grow up playing NES games.

thank god that I didn't, they're mostly either obtuse or clunky

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The soundtracks for most of the games I grew up playing were by Rob Hubbard and Martin Galway. The SID chip blew everything else out of the water at the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Having grown up playing NES games that doesn't feel wrong. Super Mario Bros was definitely an outlier among its generation. A lot of games are very hard to go back to. Kirby's Adventure is a really funny experience since it feels it should be a baby mode game for the time but definitely is as unforgiving as most of its generation, despite having so many of the conventions you take for granted after playing the series from the SNES onwards.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It wasn't 1987 but Super Mario Bros 3 was nearly NES platforming perfection.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

neato burrito posted:

Would someone step up to the goddamn plate and release We ♥️ Katamari on modern systems? It is better than Katamari Damacy in every way yet all we get is Reroll which would have been fine if they had used the refined controls of the sequel. But they loving didn't.

poo poo and rear end! poo poo and rear end and balls I say!

how the hell is this an unpopular opinion

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Harrow posted:

The name was because Sakaguchi wanted the game to have the abbreviation "FF" because he liked the sound of it. The team settled on "Fantasy" as the second word, but originally it was going to be called "Fighting Fantasy." That was changed because there's a series of roleplaying game books called that, and "Final Fantasy" was the second choice after that.

I believe that. It's always something dumb like that. That's why there are so many jRPG's Japanese media with nonsense names like Live a Live or Ergo Proxy.

Dude was probably a fan of the fast forward.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Nintendo should buy back the rights to Mike Tyson’s likeness and have him personally execute Mr Dream live on television.

Also I didn’t grow up with the NES and there are plenty of games that still play nice. The Ninja Gaiden trilogy may be brutal but it controls buttery smooth.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

is pepsi ok posted:

I loving hate game where you click the L stick to sprint.

click toggle is okay, holding down l3 is the devil

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Rutibex posted:

how the hell is this an unpopular opinion

They can't all be winners :shrug:

:jpmf:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

is pepsi ok posted:

I loving hate game where you click the L stick to sprint.

I loving hate game where you press any button to sprint
especially if you have limited stamina
just make me always sprinting like doomguy tia

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Are the pretty colours the reason I like Capcom?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Racing games peaked at RC Pro-Am

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Dr.Smasher posted:

Racing games peaked at RC Pro-Am

:wrong:

I know you're not 100% serious but drat racing games are so good now. We could do with more good arcade racers, but sim-racing is incredible at the moment. If I could go back to 10 year old me playing Daytona USA in the arcade and show him my current sim rig he would poo poo his dumb little pants with excitement.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

tango alpha delta posted:

The soundtracks for most of the games I grew up playing were by Rob Hubbard and Martin Galway. The SID chip blew everything else out of the water at the time.

Amiga's too, to a lesser extent because the consoles started to catch up eventually. But titles like Shadow of the Beast were mindblowing at the time, natural sounding instrument samples in a home video game system seemed unreal in the late 80s.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Racing games peaked with Forza 4.

More racing games need to have basic rear end family car racing though. Get toyota camrys up against dodge caravans and honda accords

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Grab Im Moor posted:

Amiga's too, to a lesser extent because the consoles started to catch up eventually. But titles like Shadow of the Beast were mindblowing at the time, natural sounding instrument samples in a home video game system seemed unreal in the late 80s.

Hell yeah. The Amiga is the system I have the most nostalgia for. My dad worked offshore and he and his co-workers would pool all their games every trip and copy those floppies. I had literal milk crates full of amiga games.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Hell yeah. The Amiga is the system I have the most nostalgia for. My dad worked offshore and he and his co-workers would pool all their games every trip and copy those floppies. I had literal milk crates full of amiga games.

Yeah everybody we knew had a bunch of these blue/grey floppy boxes full of trade copies, "trainer" hacks and homebrews, hardly any originals, which was a common thing with C64 too. I covertly played the Elvira Horrorsoft games, something I definitely wasn't supposed to do because they were ridiculously violent and gory. I doubt they aged well but back then this poo poo was god tier compared to Uninvited or whatever.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

ilmucche posted:

Racing games peaked with Forza 4.

More racing games need to have basic rear end family car racing though. Get toyota camrys up against dodge caravans and honda accords

This is what I love about Gran Turismo, though i havent played one since 3.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

This is what I love about Gran Turismo, though i havent played one since 3.

I think gran turismo got away from having garbage sedans around that point. Even Forza 4 didn't have many to be fair.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Speaking of racing stock sedans, did anyone ever play the Initial D arcade games? The one where you had a physical card the machine printed for you to save your record and progress? That game was awesome.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I played that one once at a mall in Akita and I don't think I did very well.

I miss arcades.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Speaking of racing stock sedans, did anyone ever play the Initial D arcade games? The one where you had a physical card the machine printed for you to save your record and progress? That game was awesome.

I played a bunch of v3 when there was a machine nearby where I lived. It was so good

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Racing games are awesome now but the sim selections are way too focused on extremely fast cars imo.

Or maybe I just think there should be more good rally games. Dirt 2.0 is awesome but now feeling dated and small. WRC games are cool but the graphics are only serviceable and it doesn't have a very good model for non-awd cars.

Give me a WRC sim with long stages without RPG poo poo!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

satanic splash-back posted:

Racing games are awesome now but the sim selections are way too focused on extremely fast cars imo.

Or maybe I just think there should be more good rally games. Dirt 2.0 is awesome but now feeling dated and small. WRC games are cool but the graphics are only serviceable and it doesn't have a very good model for non-awd cars.

Give me a WRC sim with long stages without RPG poo poo!

What I would really love from a sim is something with the realism and physics of the Dirt Rally games, but with a much bigger focus on the Rally Cross and buggies and trucks and all that mad stuff they had in the mainline dirt games.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

:wrong:

I know you're not 100% serious but drat racing games are so good now. We could do with more good arcade racers, but sim-racing is incredible at the moment. If I could go back to 10 year old me playing Daytona USA in the arcade and show him my current sim rig he would poo poo his dumb little pants with excitement.

I was just talking about great NES games! Seriously though, I feel like racing sims now are the best they've ever been

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

satanic splash-back posted:

its not a sim but i love the forza horizon series, there is a huge range of cars from extremely fast sports cars to old clunkers and offroad trucks and the open world map design keeps getting better and better

unfortunately there is a lot of "rpg-lite" crap they've added to it for some dumb reason but after the first 30 mins or so that poo poo is easy to ignore entirely

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grab Im Moor posted:

I guess it doesn't have an RPG equipment and levelling system but the core gameplay loop isn't too far off from Sotn & the GBA/DS games imo.

Castlevania II does have a leveling system! It's just very unobvious and doesn't change much to gain levels... I think the biggest effect it has is refilling your health in the field? Anyway you can think of it as a 10-year prototype for Symphony of the Night

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

What I would really love from a sim is something with the realism and physics of the Dirt Rally games, but with a much bigger focus on the Rally Cross and buggies and trucks and all that mad stuff they had in the mainline dirt games.

Oh yeah that would be pretty cool. I don't think I've played any decent sim game with buggies and stuff like that in it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also while not exactly a normal "racing game" there was an indie game a few years back, i cant remember the name but it takes place in some post-soviet country and your uncle gives you some old beater of a lada or a volga or whatever and your job is to fix it up with parts and getting it running and then start tear assing around eastern europe. it was janky of course but i thought it was a great idea and would love to see more games in that direction

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My summer car

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my ideal racing game would straddle the border of sim, arcade and rpg (but in a real "get out of the car and do weird poo poo" way, not a half-assed driving game way) and would be based largely on the 1983 Choose Your Own Adventure novel "The Race Forever" by R.A. Montgomery. it takes place during the early years of the Paris-Dakar rally and in my memory at least it was loving great

(yes i know there are already video games about the paris-dakar rally, but they are about the more modern form of it and also seem to be very badly reviewed)

[disclaimer: i have not read the abovementioned novel since i was 10 years old and bear no responsibility if it did not age well]

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There has never been a good video game.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Fur20 posted:

Castlevania II does have a leveling system! It's just very unobvious and doesn't change much to gain levels... I think the biggest effect it has is refilling your health in the field? Anyway you can think of it as a 10-year prototype for Symphony of the Night

Oh wow I don't remember this detail at all, I'm not even sure if I ever noticed that back then. Like I don't remember a level up prompt or exp tally in the game. Sotn introduced a lot more to the series but yeah the base idea of open exploration and finding relics to overcome roadblocks is very similar to II.

Grab Im Moor fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 16, 2022

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

There has never been a good video game.

Have you tried Downwell?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

is pepsi ok posted:

Have you tried Downwell?

Have you seen the graphics?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The best thing about consoles before the PS1 was that the time between hitting power on and actually playing was usually 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

is pepsi ok posted:

Have you tried Downwell?

i tried the mobile port of it and the touchscreen controls sucked real bad OP