Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I haven’t seen Evangelion so JJ’s final form most reminded me of the blob from Car Boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ruddiger posted:

I was under the impression that Michael Wincott was the one who was handling the gun when Brandon Lee was shot on the set of the Crow, which made me wonder if Peele brought him on as a specific reference to safety on a film set, but it was Michael Massee who was the unfortunate person involved in the Brandon Lee tragedy.

Yeah, Wincott wasn't in that scene, might not have been there that day even. It was the scene where the gang ambushed Eric and Shelly at the apartment, which is why the version in the final product is shot entirely in first-person. That might have been on Peele's mind during casting, however.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think after sitting it for a few days, that might by my favorite movie by Peele. It's one of those Mad Max Fury Road style movies that just draws me in on so many levels. I was actually scared and anxious through a lot of it, but goddamn if the horseback herding of JJ isn't one of the best action scenes I've seen in a long time. It weirdly left me okay and excited for Peele to not do a horror movie next--I know his next movie is horror as well.

A few stray observations:

-- I think what made the digestion scene work so well for me was that I didn't realize what JJ was and fully what was happening. I feel like my brain has been filling in the blanks on the scene when I think about it and making it much worse than what was on screen. The screamed and defecation stuff doesn't help.

-- I think I have a different read on Jupe then a lot of other folks do. I keep seeing this idea of Jupe having some level of hubris that he tamed the beast, but based on the flashback, I'm not sure I really see it that way. What Jupe remembers mostly is him helplessly hiding while his first crush is savagely beaten and mauled by a chimp, his co-star trying to somewhat heroically save her only for the ape to attack him, and then to submissively fist bump the ape before it gets its brains blown out. The idea that Jupe is trying to tame JJ because he tamed the ape doesn't really make sense to me because Jupe doesn't even know what JJ is. Genuinely, I don't think he thinks that he's feeding the horses to it.

But what Jupe actually does constantly is try to find a new narrative for himself. When he tells what happened, he chooses to not tell the actual story, but Saturday Night Live sketch which probably is more famous than the show or he ever was--note he was played by the guest star! Jupe so hungry to remain part of the entertainment industry chooses to take the entertainment industry's version of what happened over what was a traumatizing experience. He creates a little theme park that retroactively gives him the star position that he never actually had. He tries to push his kids to fame and turn his family into a reality show. And finally he recognizes this opportunity with the flying saucer to become famous and important so he takes it because it will change his story. The fact that he brings his mamed co-star to be part of it speaks to him not really being that bad of a guy, but a tragic figure. He wants her to be a part of this happy story, which probably speaks to the guilt he feels over not helping her.

Functionally, he and the Haywoods are not that different. Both have been chewed up and shat out by Hollywood, but like the horse safety speech, they try to cling to a happier narrative.

--With the idea of JJ being representative of Hollywood itself, you can't help but think that the idea of negotiating with a predator doesn't speak to Peele's filmography so far. Get Out was a revelation of a film and for the last five years we've seen Hollywood turn the idea of racism-as-horror into a commodity, not that there aren't creators working on this in earnest and Peele himself has produced stuff that falls into this, but its clear there are also folks who see Get Out as a template more than anything else. And when you actually look at Peele's filmography, you see films that are increasingly different than Get Out while keeping his dedication to tell Black stories. Peele is calling his shots that he can make great movies, but does it while tending with a beast ready to devour him and his creativity.

Allegorically, it makes sense for OJ to be the one to go toe to toe with JJ because not only did he begin to realize what JJ was before anyone else did, he also is probably the guy who most clearly sees Hollywood for what it is compared to his sister and Jupe.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 14, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Timeless Appeal posted:

-- I think I have a different read on Jupe then a lot of other folks do. I keep seeing this idea of Jupe having some level of hubris that he tamed the beast, but based on the flashback, I'm not sure I really see it that way. What Jupe remembers mostly is him helplessly hiding while his first crush is savagely beaten and mauled by a chimp, his co-star trying to somewhat heroically save her only for the ape to attack him, and then to submissively fist bump the ape before it gets its brains blown out. The idea that Jupe is trying to tame JJ because he tamed the ape doesn't really make sense to me because Jupe doesn't even know what JJ is. Genuinely, I don't think he thinks that he's feeding the horses to it.

Good points throughout, but I agree with this paragraph. He doesn't think of JJ as an animal, he explicitly refers to "them" as viewers. He puts intelligence and consciousness on it, but he probably did the same with Gordy instead of treating either as a wild animal with somewhat predictable routines. I don't think he thought of either as "tamed" so much as him having a connection with both of them.

JJ making GBS threads blood and detritus all over the house is basically the same as Gordy tearing Mary Joe's lips off, it's a dominance display and even highlights the connection by dropping the scooter prominently on their roof and having Holst draw attention to it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

What Jupe remembers mostly is him helplessly hiding while his first crush is savagely beaten and mauled by a chimp, his co-star trying to somewhat heroically save her only for the ape to attack him

This makes a lot of sense. Watching the movie I thought he was just trying to escape, which seemed too stupid for a Peele movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Good points throughout, but I agree with this paragraph. He doesn't think of JJ as an animal, he explicitly refers to "them" as viewers. He puts intelligence and consciousness on it, but he probably did the same with Gordy instead of treating either as a wild animal with somewhat predictable routines. I don't think he thought of either as "tamed" so much as him having a connection with both of them.
I think when you take the Viewers name into account, the film is less drawing a connection between JJ and Gordy and more a connection between the industry and audience who turned a teenage girl getting her face ripped off into a joke. Kinda more tragic that Jupe is already seeing the metaphor, but not wise enough to realize that it's a bad sign.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Timeless Appeal posted:

Allegorically, it makes sense for OJ to be the one to go toe to toe with JJ because not only did he begin to realize what JJ was before anyone else did, he also is probably the guy who most clearly sees Hollywood for what it is compared to his sister and Jupe.

I like this a lot

OJ only cares about his craft, handling horses well, and is not obsessed with getting famous or being a salesman, and maybe that’s why he is able to resist getting sucked into the Hollywood grinder

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I like this a lot

OJ only cares about his craft, handling horses well, and is not obsessed with getting famous or being a salesman, and maybe that’s why he is able to resist getting sucked into the Hollywood grinder
Sorry, I'm posting so much but just so excited about this movie, but it is REALLY revealing about his character that OJ clearly lived through the OJ Simpson stuff as a kid and just refused to stop introducing himself as OJ because that's his name.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Steve Yun posted:

I like this a lot

Hardwork and skills aren't not enough to cut it, he needs Showmanship and self confidence too. If he can use the JJ story as a hook then maybe he can accumulate enough clout to get actors to listen to his safety speech.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jupe strikes me as having a bit of dissonance with what he's actually doing and what he thinks he's doing. I think on some level he's treating JJ as an animal, luring it and making it comfortable with regular offerings at set times and locations until he's sure he can do it on command, but he's still got his preconceptions of the flying saucer he hasn't rethought.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A telling element of Jupe's involvement with JJ is how his thoughts are on Gordy before the big debut. He's very, very aware of the similarities and he's extremely nervous - you can see him kind of center himself with his wife's help before putting on his showtime persona and going out. It's a very good scene for the actor, and especially nice to see since he's about to be leaving the film.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pollyanna posted:

Saw the movie, it wasssssss alright? Felt like the high concept and emphasis on putting in thematic materials took away from the movie as a story. It’s fine as one of those films you watch over and over and dissect but for a Saturday matinee I was left nonplussed.

What were you confused about?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The subtle details really are great in this.

One of the film crew calls out “OG” while OJ is getting Em’s attention. The Jupiter’s Claim TV show posters. Yeun’s flying saucer shirt.

That orange hoodie is going to be hard sought after.

Can’t believe the audacity of setting the finale in broad daylight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also love that Peele made sure there was a scene where someone shouts "Run, OJ, run!"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The big laugh for me was "no way he's still alive" [ distant pained screaming ]. Perfectly timed.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I wonder what happened to that guy when Jean Jacket unfurled. It took the Jupiter's Claim crowd half a day to be digested to death. Did he just spill out onto the ground?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk if they were digested as much as cronched.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Finally dragged my rear end to a theater to see this, and I adored this film. I just keep thinking back to the Gordy sequence followed immediately by JJ swallowing Ricky, his audience, family, and workers up and it's such an incredible sequence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CelticPredator posted:

Idk if they were digested as much as cronched.
I figured the proximate cause of the blood poo poo over the Heywood manor was because JJ had both over-eaten a bunch of inert stuff (as opposed to 'horse,' which JJ can clearly handle entirely) and because it still had the loving horse statue in its gob.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I saw this on UK opening night Friday - I didn't love it, but it has stuck with me in the days following and I like it; but not as much as Jordan Peele's previous. It feels like it's just a little too loose bringing all the elements together and also it's not as overtly social/political as Peele's previous which is a little deflating when you're expecting it all to come together with a nice sharp point. We should only judge it on what it is but don't think it's unfair to mention expectations on a first watch.

One thing my friends and I said after was it felt like we didn't get enough of the characters despite the runtime - suggestions it would have worked better as a miniseries not too disagreeable but I will check out an extended cut if one pops up.

It inspired me to rewatch COMMUNION after many years and the sound design of that film is so important and I think probably influential, and even better, in NOPE.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Communion is real bad, but that one shot is real good.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've resisted being that guy who smugly announces that the infamous scene didn't phase them, but I think I finally realized why, and that's a more useful topic to bring up:

It was so novel and surreal, that cross section view of the digestive process, and human beings drawn into it like Jonah and the whale, that I was sort of taken out of the movie and just sort of absorbed the scene without being immersed within it? I recall my mind racing with questions about the mechanics of how the process worked, and how novel it was to see it this way, that I almost didn't have time to really be bothered by it.

In contrast, in the finale, I found any shot of the creature from below, descending down towards the camera with its orifice pulsing, very uncomfortable and disconcerting. It reminds me of when you get a really clear look at the nastier parts of a non mamilian animal.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Communion is real bad, but that one shot is real good.

Christopher Walken is completely unleashed in that film, and probably not in a good way, but drat is he entertaining.

Also the digestion scene made me instantly think of Anaconda (which is even grosser).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Went for a cute "let's pull the sheets above our heads and be in a blanket fort" moment with my partner. Immediately got JJ digestion vibes and had to nope right out of there.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

feedmyleg posted:

Went for a cute "let's pull the sheets above our heads and be in a blanket fort" moment with my partner. Immediately got JJ digestion vibes and had to nope right out of there.

I think maybe you're not cut out for watching PG or above movies. Stick to G for a while

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Speleothing posted:

I think maybe you're not cut out for watching PG or above movies. Stick to G for a while

What a lovely and stupid thing to post.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Speleothing posted:

Hey everybody, check out the tough and/or cool guy

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Saw this last night when the Coolidge Corner Theater in Boston's annual showing of The Big Lebowski was sold out (huge crowds of 30-something guys in bathrobes, amazing).
Great movie! Some really cool images, really funny, pretty tense.
A couple things that I haven't seen discussed ITT:

I really, really liked the couple of times the camera just points up and pans around the cloudy skies, totally leaving the horizon behind and just scanning around. Just added to the overall sense of awe I got throughout.

How did people feel about the chapter title cards? Like, not the titles themselves, but having the cards at all. Seems like a bit of a trend (off the top of my head I remember The Green Knight doing it), and I have to say I'm not a huge huge fan. Not a big bother.

I rewatched the trailer, and there's a clip in there of OJ saying "They took 'em. They took 'em all." Am I remembering correctly that in the film he says "It ate 'em. It ate 'em all?" If so, kind of a clever editing move.

smug n stuff fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 16, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There were title cards? drat I think I remember that now that you mention it but I'd entirely forgotten. Memory is weird :shrug:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Each title card was specific to the animal featured in the act (Lucky, Gordy, Jean Jacket, etc.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jack B Nimble posted:

There were title cards? drat I think I remember that now that you mention it but I'd entirely forgotten. Memory is weird :shrug:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I swear I pay attention at the movies!!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

ruddiger posted:

Each title card was specific to the animal featured in the act (Lucky, Gordy, Jean Jacket, etc.)
specifically I think the cards titled the sequences when each animal met their end

also whoa

creative director Ian Cooper posted:

we were so obsessed with those cards and making them feel real. We agonized over the font. We printed them with a fine art photographer, hung them on the wall, and [cinematographer] Hoyte van Hoytema rolled IMAX footage on them. So [those title cards are] real.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Sivart13 posted:

specifically I think the cards titled the sequences when each animal met their end

Except for Lucky who is the sole survivor of the Star Lasso Experience

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The cards looked great, I thought they might've been real because there was clearly not-quite-perfect lighting on them, sort of like bleed from below. Definitely more effort than just a regular titlecard image.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've resisted being that guy who smugly announces that the infamous scene didn't phase them, but I think I finally realized why, and that's a more useful topic to bring up:

It was so novel and surreal, that cross section view of the digestive process, and human beings drawn into it like Jonah and the whale, that I was sort of taken out of the movie and just sort of absorbed the scene without being immersed within it? I recall my mind racing with questions about the mechanics of how the process worked, and how novel it was to see it this way, that I almost didn't have time to really be bothered by it.

In contrast, in the finale, I found any shot of the creature from below, descending down towards the camera with its orifice pulsing, very uncomfortable and disconcerting. It reminds me of when you get a really clear look at the nastier parts of a non mamilian animal.

I could see that, especially since for me it was the opposite.

I immediately knew what was happening in "That scene", I can't explain why or how but my brain just immediately processed the scene as "Oh, they're being eaten. I'm watching people be eaten right now. They are food. I'm watching people who have been consumed and are being digested right now." and thus I was able to comprehend what was happening well enough that I was able to be terrified of it.

Meanwhile, in the finale, I found the creature to be so novel and surreal (and honestly downright beautiful) that rather than feeling afraid I was simply captivated. It was gorgeous and I wanted to keep looking at it.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Meanwhile, in the finale, I found the creature to be so novel and surreal (and honestly downright beautiful) that rather than feeling afraid I was simply captivated. It was gorgeous and I wanted to keep looking at it.

The approach of having it unfold in the unfocused background while our characters fled in the foreground was amazing and subtle - you suddenly started realising something was happening and desperately wanted to see it. You know, bringing the audience around to being more interested in the spectacle than human life or death.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

xiw posted:

The approach of having it unfold in the unfocused background while our characters fled in the foreground was amazing and subtle - you suddenly started realising something was happening and desperately wanted to see it. You know, bringing the audience around to being more interested in the spectacle than human life or death.

Yup, if that's what Peele was going for then he totally got me.

Don't get me wrong, I liked our human protagonists a lot and was emotionally invested in not wanting to see them die, but FUUUUUUUUCK that was such a cool looking thing let me look at the cool thing please please PLEASE!

I guess I'm part of the problem when it comes to the issue of "viewers" but then again so is the rest of humanity and that's sort of the point of the film.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Just thought of something, it’s significant that Em takes several photos with the wishing well and not just the one money shot. She’s taking a series of photos are are “assembly of photographs to create a motion picture.” Essentially taking back what was lost when her ancestor was forgotten while the director of that shot went down in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/chasemit/status/1559573769798111232?s=21&t=v9eH-4uFwl1VJgLUDNIbpQ