Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
For example I am still playing on 1.32 until they dial down the AI fort spam a little. Was just too annoying in 1.33.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Groke posted:

All the best achievements are based on Sikh puns.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mfcrocker posted:

This is my first EU4 patch - am I best off trying to finish off any 1.33 saves I've got going before it drops?
Yes. They're not changing the map (biggest reason why saves used to get broken) but 99% of the time a new patch still breaks saves. But like Anno said you can use the steam betas feature to stay on whatever patch you want.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yes. They're not changing the map (biggest reason why saves used to get broken) but 99% of the time a new patch still breaks saves. But like Anno said you can use the steam betas feature to stay on whatever patch you want.

Just make sure you roll back before launching your save, otherwise it may be irrevocably borked.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'll probably still try and get it to a satisfying finish before the patch, it'd be fun to start a new one when the patch drops and I'm already mid-late 1600s

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've... hit a weird issue. England is at 600+ dev, 170+ ships and 140k troops (that are slowly increasing every single year). The thing is they have lost all but 3 provinces in France and eaten half of Scotland. That's it. :psyduck:

My forcelimit is half of theirs and despite only having been in 4-5 wars they still can't roll anything below a two star general. While I own the rest of Scotland (the northern bits) so their navy is not an issue I don't think any ally will be able to land troops and beating their more than double numbers is just impossible*. Especially since my own generals can barely figure out which end of the musket the bullets come out of and don't even ask about their hand injures from picking up swords.

*Well sure someone who is actually good at the game could, probably easily too. But I sure as hell can't. Whenever I try things like that the enemy just doomstacks up and slams into me over and over and no pathetic little terrain modifier or desperate maneuvering is going to do poo poo.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Check where their troops are. I find that more often than not, England's 200k is like, 45k in London and the rest spread out everywhere else in the world. Get that 45k killed and you're home free.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

No, they are ALL there. I've checked. They don't have exploration or expansion ideas so there is nowhere else for them to be. Except maybe their French provinces but their doomfleets could effortlessly move those back in a month if that were the case.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 15, 2022

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

EU5 or defenestrate.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

I've... hit a weird issue. England is at 600+ dev, 170+ ships and 140k troops (that are slowly increasing every single year). The thing is they have lost all but 3 provinces in France and eaten half of Scotland. That's it. :psyduck:

My forcelimit is half of theirs and despite only having been in 4-5 wars they still can't roll anything below a two star general. While I own the rest of Scotland (the northern bits) so their navy is not an issue I don't think any ally will be able to land troops and beating their more than double numbers is just impossible*. Especially since my own generals can barely figure out which end of the musket the bullets come out of and don't even ask about their hand injures from picking up swords.

*Well sure someone who is actually good at the game could, probably easily too. But I sure as hell can't. Whenever I try things like that the enemy just doomstacks up and slams into me over and over and no pathetic little terrain modifier or desperate maneuvering is going to do poo poo.
Who are you?

Demon_Corsair posted:

EU5 or defenestrate.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh right, sorry. Playing as Ireland that has eaten Norway and Denmark but now the only avenues of expansion are the HRE (lol), England or Sweden allied to England. I did somehow get the one English province off them in an early war they started by hiring a lot of mercs and opposing their landings since they didn't have access through Scotland or anywhere near enough transport ships and was also at war with Denmark.

I'm not expecting there to be some kind of solution other than maybe "don't suck this much" or "somehow prevent it from happening in the first place". :shrug:
I just thought it bizarre how powerful they got just sitting on their thumbs.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 15, 2022

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

Oh right, sorry. Playing as Ireland that has eaten Norway and Denmark but now the only avenues of expansion are the HRE (lol), England or Sweden allied to England. I did somehow get the one English province off them in an early war they started by hiring a lot of mercs and opposing their landings since they didn't have access through Scotland or anywhere near enough transport ships and was also at war with Denmark.

I'm not expecting there to be some kind of solution other than maybe "don't suck this much" or "somehow prevent it from happening in the first place". :shrug:
I just thought it bizarre how powerful they got just sitting on their thumbs.

There's always colonisation, have you tried that before? It takes a while to turn a profit, but it's by far the easiest gains you can make in EU4, if you can't swing a huge army into the mainland powers.

If everything else fails, no-CB some poor guy in Africa and expand from there.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Depending on your allies and some luck you can snipe London from England early on which completely neuters them for the rest of the game.

Does require an independent scotland to ally to pull off effectively but is brutally effective as a colonizer or anyone else who wants to contest the british.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
What are your / their idea groups?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Poil posted:

Pics please, having a hard time visualizing this

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think 70k vs 140k is insurmountable but it will depend on your army quality, which comes from ideas and drill/professionalism. You will get better army tradition while fighting them so I would not be too worried about generals at the start, but if you can at least hold Ulster against a cross-strait invasion then the war should be winnable by bleeding out their manpower. If I'm envisioning the map correctly then I would release and scutage Gaeldom so that England can't occupy it, and rely on continental allies to defeat Sweden and repel possible invasions of Denmark and Norway, then all you would need to do is bait their army piecemeal onto Ulster and wipe out their stacks (note that you just have to engage in a naval battle to cut off reinforcements, not win it, so as long as your own fleet isn't getting completely wiped in the opening week you can keep sending them in and retreating to split the English army).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Trip report. None of my allies were willing to join except the Papal States but I went ahead anyway to see how it would go. I had my entire 100% professionalism army sitting just outside of Ulster to get the British to cross and as soon as they did and had their movement locked I went in to defend as all of theirs piled in as well. With their strait crossing into a woodland province with a fort I managed to not get stackwiped at least. Such a slaughter. Afterwards they just zoomed across the island and obliterated my armies before they could even group up again.

My general in charge of the big battle was 2 fire and 3 shock while theirs was 4 and 4 and their only military idea is... quantity?? I'm thinking it's time to delete the save and do someplace else for a while. I've no idea how the heck people manage to be even half competent at the game. :saddowns:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

A good way to exploit the AI is to suicide a couple of transports into the strait to delay their reinforcements. That way, you can fight their army one manageable piece at a time, and even stackwipe it if you cut off their retreat right.

Works especially well if you use scorched earth on Ulster.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Poil posted:

Trip report. None of my allies were willing to join except the Papal States but I went ahead anyway to see how it would go. I had my entire 100% professionalism army sitting just outside of Ulster to get the British to cross and as soon as they did and had their movement locked I went in to defend as all of theirs piled in as well. With their strait crossing into a woodland province with a fort I managed to not get stackwiped at least. Such a slaughter. Afterwards they just zoomed across the island and obliterated my armies before they could even group up again.

My general in charge of the big battle was 2 fire and 3 shock while theirs was 4 and 4 and their only military idea is... quantity?? I'm thinking it's time to delete the save and do someplace else for a while. I've no idea how the heck people manage to be even half competent at the game. :saddowns:

It took me a number of attempts to get a game in Ireland going properly. That first war against England is an absolute killer and pretty much determines if you're going to live or die - if you can win it, you're set and can beat them in any future wars.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Excited for the new patch. 1.33 was terrible and I bounced off the game for a bit. Recently went back to 1.32.2 and been having fun again. Recently finished the "I Don't Like Sand" achievement.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks thread. I wasn't expecting to manage win but maybe next attempt will go better. :toot:

England has been significantly stronger than me all game and I've never managed to catch up to their strength in 200 years. It's probably better to start over and try it in a smarter way.

AnoHito posted:

A good way to exploit the AI is to suicide a couple of transports into the strait to delay their reinforcements. That way, you can fight their army one manageable piece at a time, and even stackwipe it if you cut off their retreat right.

Works especially well if you use scorched earth on Ulster.
Oh, that's a good idea. Sadly their first doomstack would have defeated me regardless, just not as handily.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lamentable dustman posted:

Recently finished the "I Don't Like Sand" achievement.
What did you do to get it? I've pondered what I would do if I tried but nothing has jumped out at me. Seems like it will be a pain in the rear end because you cant even have mountains that are surrounded by deserts (Yemen area comes to mind).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I suppose you can always cheese it with client states.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

What did you do to get it? I've pondered what I would do if I tried but nothing has jumped out at me. Seems like it will be a pain in the rear end because you cant even have mountains that are surrounded by deserts (Yemen area comes to mind).

Well I started as Morocco as I needed its achievement and the 500 light ships pirating one so it wasn't optimal but this was the general strategy.

1) Control the home area and integrated vessels

2) Take over southern Iberia and move capital. This allowed me to be in a better trade node obviously and TC all of Africa.

3) Yoinked some of the Iberia CNs while expanding south into Africa.

4) Take over all of Africa north of Kongo to get the Chevio

5) Formed Hausa because it has 10% dev cost reduction in its ideas (note this really hosed me up for a decade or 2 because I didn't take into account that my capital would move which made me lose all my TC investments so that was like 40 or 50k gold wasted, also lost all goods production for 5 years).

6) Started Expanding into Arabia to get all the desert.

7) Built Unis on every desert province I had and started to heavy dev push.

8) Once I figured I was close I made 2 giant vassals to take over Iberia and my non desert African lands and made Client States to dump my other stuff (they just got released immediately)

9) At this point I was 300 or so dev short so I allied mega Austria, mega Commonwealth, and mega Timmy to beat up Otto and Russia a couple times while deving more. This was kind on a timer as the economy was hosed again as I couldn't stay in my trade node.

In the end I had some insane amount of dev cost reduction, off the top of my head:

20% Uni
20% from Eco Ideas
15% from TC building or 10% if in state
10% from the burghers
10% from Maliki School
10% Eco/Quant Policy
10% from 100% inno
10% from Hausa ambition
10% from prosperity

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 17, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lamentable dustman posted:

Well I started as Morocco as I needed its achievement and the 500 light ships pirating one so it wasn't optimal but this was the general strategy.
Jesus yeah that sounds like a pain. Thank you for the breakdown! I was considering trying it with a Somali country because so many of the Somali, Swahili, and Arabian provinces are all "coastal", which I assume is good enough to be "Coastal Desert" which is weird to me because there are provinces like Venice that are "Coastal".

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jesus yeah that sounds like a pain. Thank you for the breakdown! I was considering trying it with a Somali country because so many of the Somali, Swahili, and Arabian provinces are all "coastal", which I assume is good enough to be "Coastal Desert" which is weird to me because there are provinces like Venice that are "Coastal".

It's probably easiest as the Mamluks/Ottos. Conquer the other and some other stuff, release vassals, turn on divert trade, and you've got it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

You mean Coastline? That's a completely different terrain from Coastal Desert.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Land_warfare#/media/File:Terrain_map.png

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

You mean Coastline? That's a completely different terrain from Coastal Desert.

:suicide: How have i played this many hours and not realized the difference?!?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I never noticed there was a difference between "forest" and "woods"

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

TaurusTorus posted:

I never noticed there was a difference between "forest" and "woods"

And you'll probably never remember which one is which.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh the Alki mod is finally gonna get an update! It's the one that, well, makes everything extremely cursed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDjDFGTVWDo

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

more like what if the mediterranean oh and also japan were in america

that looks awesome and i'll have to give it a try

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The modder has st6arted posting dev diaries in the elad-up to the update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alki/comments/wtmyzd/alki_dev_diary_8_reformation_faiths/

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

1.34 comin on Sep 13th :circlefap:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Is it a patch or a DLC?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
There will be a Scandinavian flavor pack for missions and unit models. I'm not sure what that means for the non-Scandinavian trees like Poland though, maybe they'll be free?

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

Is it a patch or a DLC?

both

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

trapped mouse posted:

Is it a patch or a DLC?

$15 for some mission trees and new army sprites....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Firebatgyro posted:

$15 for some mission trees and new army sprites....

And a couple of government reforms!

And estate privileges for a couple of nations.

And some P2W units for Sweden and Poland.

All three are locked behind said mission trees, I think.