Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Yooper posted:

I'm headed to northern Ontario near Chapleau for Labor Day weekend, anyone have any tips for walleye about that time of the year?

Going with the kiddo so quantity >> size. I know I'll need lead free tackle for jigs and such. So far I'm hearing jigging with soft baits, white or yellow perchish, and running rock piles and breaks.
If you’re staying at a resort, ask them. Or stop by the local bait shop and ask. Leech on a jig always works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mukulu posted:

I like all this Driftless Minnesota talk. I'm going to Chatfield and/or Forestville today. That is my post for the day.

How’d you do?

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Dik Hz posted:

How’d you do?

Poorly.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm going to hit up a bait shop just into Canada and budget $100 for tackle. I got lucky and the provincial park we're staying at has two boats for rent for a ridiculous cheap price of $100 / day for a fully equipped 16 ft fishing boat. I was going to paddle the canoe for fishing, but it'll nice to not worry about wind days or my arms falling off.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If its got all the bells and whatnot, 100 bucks isn't bad at all.

Don't forget a non-resident fishing license. Anyone over 16 needs it.

Also, do you have a boating license? You need one in Canada for ANY "powered craft" including a canoe with an electric trolling motor.

If you have something similar from Michigan then you'll probably be fine, but if you don't have anything like that then you might need one.
They are really cheap and easy to get though.
https://canadianboaterlicense.ca/

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 17, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Also, do you have a boating license? You need one in Canada for ANY "powered craft" including a canoe with an electric trolling motor.

If you have something similar from Michigan then you'll probably be fine, but if you don't have anything like that then you might need one.

I never understood how anywhere in the US or canada is suggesting a 17 year old needs to obtain a license. 16 is too random of a cut off age for that nonsense. Let them be an adult first FFS.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Actually I think its 16 or over now that you mention it.

Don't ask me, I don't make up the rules.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Good info on the license, thanks! The park website says : "Federal Regulation now requires us to ask for either proof of Operator Competency or we are required to complete a “Dockside Rental Checklist”, which is valid for the duration of the rental period. " But $22 to get it and have it for the future is a pretty easy choice.

The kiddo is 12, so all he needs is an Outdoors Card as long as I have a valid license.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yooper posted:

Good info on the license, thanks! The park website says : "Federal Regulation now requires us to ask for either proof of Operator Competency or we are required to complete a “Dockside Rental Checklist”, which is valid for the duration of the rental period. " But $22 to get it and have it for the future is a pretty easy choice.

The kiddo is 12, so all he needs is an Outdoors Card as long as I have a valid license.

Got ya. Ontario Parks will probably have that policy across the board, but some private places insist on having the card. For how cheap it is, you might as well.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Discord cross post: Check out this octopus that came up and made my acquaintance this morning at my pre-work fish sesh.

https://i.imgur.com/37HSpLC.mp4

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

joem83 posted:

Discord cross post: Check out this octopus that came up and made my acquaintance this morning at my pre-work fish sesh.

https://i.imgur.com/37HSpLC.mp4

that's so loving cool. wish i lived near some octopi

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

its really too bad they taste so good.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

I'm so lucky to live where I do, this spot is 7.5 miles from my office and about 18 miles from my house.

Crab Dad posted:

its really too bad they taste so good.

I know, it's something I struggle with. I don't eat it often, maybe 4-5 times per year, but sometimes I just can't resist when I see it on a menu prepared in certain ways.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I wish I lived somewhere I could see anything more than 6 inches underwater lmao

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Discussion Quorum posted:

I wish I lived somewhere I could see anything more than 6 inches underwater lmao

You got to measure under the water not above due to refraction.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I love eating octopus because eating something smarter than I am is great.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i just started fishing and wanted to ask about kept fish whem you're fishin at a pier.

My plan is to bring a cooler and bucket. If keeping a fish I'll bleed it and wash it with the bucket, but then since I'm probably gonna be there all day, should I also gut it, like do all that right after catching? is that excessive?

Afterward, is the best storage method to throw that dude in a freezer bag before going in the cooler? does that particulary matter?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sarah Cenia posted:

i just started fishing and wanted to ask about kept fish whem you're fishin at a pier.

My plan is to bring a cooler and bucket. If keeping a fish I'll bleed it and wash it with the bucket, but then since I'm probably gonna be there all day, should I also gut it, like do all that right after catching? is that excessive?

Afterward, is the best storage method to throw that dude in a freezer bag before going in the cooler? does that particulary matter?

Personally i only bother to bleed bass since they're the only type of freshwater fish i am likely to catch that will noticeably degrade if i don't.

Most anything else i catch just goes on a stringer and gets left in the water or placed in the live well until I'm ready to leave.

I only have experience with common Northern freshwater species though, i imagine there are plenty of species of fish that are better for having been bled and iced.

I also don't bother to gut anything since I'm going to fillet everything when i get home.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

To me, it depends on how long it'll sit around. Live in a bucket works for a while, but the fish will suffocate probably within the hour unless you're refreshing the water. that can be pretty challenging from a pier, especially if the bucket has fish in it. if you have a portable aerator, that may solve the problem, but i've never done it. I'd say anything longer than a couple hours you should at least get the fish bled and on ice. Gutting immediately depends on species, imo. if it's actually kept well-iced, most species keep whole without gutting all day. just be careful how you store it if you gut it. once you cut the fish open, don't leave it submerged in water or that could get the meat waterlogged.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just received my first fly fishing rod, a Tenkara Iwana. I currently live in Denver(ish), Colorado and I suspect the largest fish I'd go for are trout and I'll fish entirely in fresh water.

My question is: what kind of line should I get for this rod? Please explain this to me like I'm a six year old, I'm incredibly fresh and new to fishing.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

That Old Ganon posted:

I just received my first fly fishing rod, a Tenkara Iwana. I currently live in Denver(ish), Colorado and I suspect the largest fish I'd go for are trout and I'll fish entirely in fresh water.

My question is: what kind of line should I get for this rod? Please explain this to me like I'm a six year old, I'm incredibly fresh and new to fishing.

join the discord, there's a ton of info about this

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is this Serious Overchill or a specific fishing Discord?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Says the invite expired :x

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Please join our offsite platform instead of just discussing it here.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

That Old Ganon posted:

Says the invite expired :x

https://discord.gg/S2PdHYTE

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sickening posted:

Please join our offsite platform instead of just discussing it here.

It's a bit easier to separate niche information into discord channels than trying to scan through almost 60 pages of posts here.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

:toot: Just joined. Been fishing since I was, I dunno, 11 or 12, so 30-ish years. Started out doing brook trout fishing in the streams of eastern Upper Michigan (these locations are all secret and I'm not allowed to share them), did mostly that for years until my dad introduced me to fly fishing a few years back and I'm having a ton of fun with that. I've gone out to Colorado for a week this year and last and it's gonna be an annual thing now. Did the Arkansas and surrounding areas down by Buena Vista last year, and the Colorado, Michigan, Illinois and such up by Granby this year. Hiked up to this lake at about 10k feet and it was just beautiful.

I didn't catch anything there but one of the guys we went with caught a few browns. Absolutely gorgeous area, though.

Anyway, starting to get my daughter into fishing and we've just done a few ponds in the twin cities, but she's having a blast catching sunfish with a piece of corn on a hook. We're going out again tomorrow.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002
I picked up a st croix rod today; it is a 6'6 medium-light and fast action and plan to pair it with a 2500 size reel for ned rigging. But now I did a little more reading and I may want a extra-fast action for ned rigging. I can't deicide if I want to go exchange it, or keep it and give it a shot. If I use it and decide I want a XF action I really have no other use for the rod at this moment so I would have to suck it up and use it or eat the cost if I'm not impressed with it. I've been using a 1000 reel on a 5' light/fast rod and was starting to get the hang of how to fish it so I just upscaled a little but second guessing now. So many drat options in fishing it gets silly...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MoonCricket posted:

I picked up a st croix rod today; it is a 6'6 medium-light and fast action and plan to pair it with a 2500 size reel for ned rigging. But now I did a little more reading and I may want a extra-fast action for ned rigging. I can't deicide if I want to go exchange it, or keep it and give it a shot. If I use it and decide I want a XF action I really have no other use for the rod at this moment so I would have to suck it up and use it or eat the cost if I'm not impressed with it. I've been using a 1000 reel on a 5' light/fast rod and was starting to get the hang of how to fish it so I just upscaled a little but second guessing now. So many drat options in fishing it gets silly...

The EF is better than F for that style of fishing. How much better is going to be hard to say without handling the rods. Generally at medium-light its slightly more noticeable in my experience. The total difference is prob going to be so small in the greater scheme of things that I wouldn't worry too much about it. I will also say the different in moderate to fast is larger than from fast to extra fast.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How many fishing rods do y'all have?

I have 3. Two "lighter" rods that I typically use for just about everything (bass and pike I guess), and one "heavier" one for if I go down to the river and attempt to catch large trout, salmon and the like. Fish that are regularly above 10 pounds.

So the reason I ask is because: I just spent a week fishing almost every day from a boat and I brought my 2 lighter rods with me, and each had something different tied to it. In this case, a top water, and a crank bait/swim bait on the other.

I found it to work well because I was fishing a lot of weed beds, and had the boat parked just off them, and I could take some casts in to the lily pads with the top water/weedless whatever lure, and then I could use my other rod to cast and retrieve along the edges, or maybe some kind of weedless rigged something or other.

Also because my brother, who is a lot better at fishing than me, does the same except I think he probably has like 10 rods that he uses.
We've been up camping on Georgian Bay and fishing from his boat thats got a whole bunch of fancy poo poo and as we move along he's changing rods constantly. He gets a lot of fish too so it seems like a good technique. And definitely saves time rather than having to retie every time you go from lily pads to weeds, to stumps to rocks etc..

I don't plan on getting 10 fishing rods but I was thinking one more anyway, maybe two.

Just wondering what y'all do about that sort of thing.

E: I'm fishing freshwater lakes and rivers that are typically not *that* big, though occasionally I'll get out on Lake Ontario, Erie, Huron/Georgian bay etc.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002

Sickening posted:

The EF is better than F for that style of fishing. How much better is going to be hard to say without handling the rods. Generally at medium-light its slightly more noticeable in my experience. The total difference is prob going to be so small in the greater scheme of things that I wouldn't worry too much about it. I will also say the different in moderate to fast is larger than from fast to extra fast.

Good info thank you. I'm leaning towards give it a go but I may change my mind.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I have a bunch of rods. Saying that, I could probably reduce them down to a few specialized types. I could live with a moderate action and a extra fast action. I feel like any crank baits, jerk baits, and anything with a treble hook is better served with a moderate rod. Single hook stuff with the extra fast.

Power and length just hasn’t matter enough to me to really care. If anything, going lighter in power seems to have been a qol improvement. Heavy power has only ever come in handy with flipping and frog fishing, I don’t do them often enough.

The rods I use most often are a 6”8 medium power moderate action rod for jerk baits (it’s a year round bait for me) . A 7 ft med-light power mod action rod for smaller treble stuff. I use the same rod just extra fast for smaller stuff like Ned rigs and smaller swim baits.

If the rods don’t give it away I am super into light line and bfs and/or small spool baitcasters. I catch about every fresh water on them and they are just more fun in about every way.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

How many fishing rods do y'all have?

Uhh...18? 20?

I fish conventional and flies. I got back into fishing pretty heavy since covid started and really dove into fly fishing. I don't have a boat boat, but I have a NuCanoe Frontier 12 which is a super wide kayak that I can stick a motor on or paddle around. I'm probably 50/50 kayak vs shore fishing these days, but I wade too where applicable. I fish predominately freshwater targeting basically everything but I go down to FL occasionally enough I got an inshore spinning setup. I will probably have a boat within the next year, especially if I stay in the Chicago area.

Conventional setups:

1x Pflueger ~5' ultralight combo
1x Lews Laser Lite Speed Spin 5'6" ultralight combo
1x St Croix 6'6" ML Fast Eyecon with Daiwa Regal LT 1000
1x St Croix 7' Mojo Inshore with Penn Battle III 3000
1x Abu Garcia 7' MHF casting rod with Lew's Speed Spool
1x Lew's 7' MHF American Hero casting rod with Abu Black Max
1x Daiwa Revros 7' MF 2 Piece combo
1x Daiwa Procyon 7' MHF 2 piece rod with Daiwa Regal LT 3000
1x 13 Fishing 7' MF combo (unsure model)

Ice setups:

1x 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall Ghost Stealth ice fishing combo
1x Daiwa Laguna LT ice fishing combo

Fly setups:

1x Redington Classic Trout 8ft 3wt 6pc with Piscifun 3/4 reel
1x Orvis Encounter 9ft 5wt combo
1x Sage Sonic 9ft 5wt with "Colorado Fly Fishing" 5/6 reel
1x St Croix Imperial 9ft 6wt with Lamson Liquid reel
1x Moonshine Outcast 9ft 8wt with Redington Behemoth 8/9 reel
1x Moonshine Outcast 9ft 10wt with Piscifun Platte 9/10 sealed drag reel
1x Tenkara rod

I also have a couple other old combos including like a $9.99 setup my wife wanted because it was purple.

MoonCricket posted:

I use the abovementioned 6'6" St Croix MLF Eyecon for drop shots, small swimbaits and other jigs and it is fantastic for a sort of do everything rod on the lighter side. I haven't done much ned rig fishing so I can't speak to that but it is an absolute blast on drop shot setups.

Caught that guy and a bunch more drop shotting the Chicago River last fall.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dayum!!

I don't need that many. I was pretty much thinking like 1 or 2 more.
Something like two rods set up for top waters, another for something else weedless thats not a top water, and then one for a crank/swim bait. Or otherwise set up however I think I might need them depending on the lake/river or whatever.

I went ice fishing once, it was cold and miserable, no interest in fly fishing.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Similar to all the dumb outdoor sports, the number of pieces of equipment you need is always at least one more than you currently own. I only own 4 or 5 rods nice enough that I'd actually use, another 4 or 5 that I'll lend to kids and family. I really only need 2 or 3 more rod-types and once I own those I'm quite sure I'll consider my collection complete.

I usually fish from a kayak or sometimes a bank. If I'm in the boat I'll bring 3 rods, on foot only 1 or two. More than that is much too big a hassle to handle. Either way I try to limit what I bring with me to the pre-rigged rods and only maybe 1 or 2 or zero alternative baits. If I bring too many options I quickly decide I haven't caught a fish because I'm using the wrong lure. Repeat every 15 minutes, and I end up spending all my time changing lures, retying knots, and generally growing way too desperate and frustrated to ever catch anything.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Four fly rods.

Standard 9’ 5wt for dry/dry-dropper and high country applications.

10’ 3wt for euro nymphing. I usually carry both of these when I’m wading but use the euro rod 80% of the time. The 9’ 5wt is rigged in case a hatch comes off.

9’ 6wt that’s old as heck and almost never sees action. I have it earmarked for streamers and warm water.

7’6” 3wt for creeking. It also doesn’t see much action but it’s a fun little rod.

If I go back to the flats I’ll probably pick up a 9’ 8wt and over-line it. I’ve also been thinking about getting a dry-specific 9’ 4wt.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I have 4, all freshwater spinning:

6’6” medium heavier jigs/ bottom fish
6’ med-light, whatever
7’ med-light, whatever
5’5” ultralight, under trees/just loving around

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the yeti posted:

I have 4, all freshwater spinning:

6’6” medium heavier jigs/ bottom fish
6’ med-light, whatever
7’ med-light, whatever
5’5” ultralight, under trees/just loving around

This is me, basically. Ultralight and medium light rigged up for live bait/bobber and a couple rods rigged for casting and jigs. Line is important too, 4lb mono on the ultralight, 20 lb braid on my best casting rod, 8 lb mono on the others. I’d also like to get a longer heavy rod for soaking bait in the heavy river current for catfish, I’m afraid of casting more than an ounce with my other rods, plus snags on the river are a lot easier to deal with when I’m spooled up with 30-50 lb mono. It sucks switching back and forth between heavy bait rigs and casting lures on one rod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Trip Report to Wakami Lake Report. Arrived at the lake to 30-40 mph south winds and a very choppy lake. Got boat rented, but it was too rough to get out. Next day the temp dropped 20 degrees but now the wind was 30 mph out of the north, we did get out early in the day but no fish. Went out for the evening and saw a dude cleaning a fat stack of walleyes. We chatted him up and he not only told us what to use, but gave us his lures, leeches, and pointed out exactly where to fish. Big bearded Canadian dude, I salute you!

This led to our 3 walleye, 15", 16", and 19". By then the kiddo was cold and off the water we went. The next day brought calmer waters, but bright skies, and we didn't pick up anymore fish. I found the kid was good for about 2 hours in the boat. I think if we'd had got onto more fish that would have been longer. Wakami Lake was a solid trip, we'll definitely go back. Everyone involved with Ontario Parks was super cool. The boat rental was awesome, brand new 20hp Honda on a 16ft aluminum boat for $80 USD / day. It came with more gas than I could have even burned in two days.

I'm from a fairly rural area but it's nothing compared to that kind of rural.