Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4010019&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post525563984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Bremen posted:

So... I'm getting the itch again and wouldn't mind advice on what pack to play.

I'm mostly looking for a pack with guided questing and an emphasis on progression. I'm not so big on exploration or very esoteric systems, though some is fine. Nor am I opposed to magic systems though I like at least some tech progression as well.

I remember playing some pack, I think it might have been Sevtech ages, where it kept sending me all over the map to find weird resources, and doing things like building totems and dancing around them playing drums to advance, that was just too out there for me. Which is a pity, because I like the tech ages concept and gating to open up new mods, but I mostly want to build stuff.

I really like Create : Above and Beyond.

It is focused on progression and because of the nature of how Create works it just gives you more open tools like : a belt or, a fan. And a task it would like you to complete (a resource to make a sustainable supply) and you're free to experiment and create your unique solution using this curated toolset.

Genuinely very very fun.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Wasn't the blightfall dev working on something else now?

Talonos made a game jam game called Final Winter. It apparently did not sell at all, but he was able to leverage that into a decent job as a designer on mobile games (at least last time we spoke). Some Rude Teens have been working on a new blightfall update and he has lent some world improvements to the effort.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I hate to say it, but I've run through Twilight Forest so many times at this point I'm just going to quit, or at least cheat through it if any modpack tries to throw it in. I've seen way too many progression trees in modpack quest books that go "okay, now go do a huge chunk of Twilight Forest and come back when you reach this milestone". It's just wasting my time.
Infernal mobs is pretty broadly disliked too, partially because it adds so many modifiers that are just unfair and impossible to compensate for, and partially because Minecraft combat is just so drat bad.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Feeling the itch for a good skyblock, any good ones out lately? Not opposed to older ones if they're not super demanding.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

mechaet posted:

ProjectE.

I fully confess to using ProjectE to bypass a little bit of the grind in Nomifactory, mostly because diamond-fueled numis piss me off too much otherwise. I like designing systems and progressing through the questbook, not constantly being harassed by narrow power generation options.

I've found that using AE2 to push common parts into particular inputs and using regular ME Interfaces for the rest of the parts has helped me bypass needing PackagedAuto for Assembly Lines, which means I only really use it for automating Combination crafting and the larger crafting tables. It's fun to be able to make stacks of mid-tier microminer craft without a problem :D Now it's Draconium, Crystal Matrix ingots and Neutronium that I need to start building better production for.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

I hate to say it, but I've run through Twilight Forest so many times at this point I'm just going to quit, or at least cheat through it if any modpack tries to throw it in. I've seen way too many progression trees in modpack quest books that go "okay, now go do a huge chunk of Twilight Forest and come back when you reach this milestone". It's just wasting my time.
Infernal mobs is pretty broadly disliked too, partially because it adds so many modifiers that are just unfair and impossible to compensate for, and partially because Minecraft combat is just so drat bad.

Twilight Forest is something that I occasionally like to dip my toes into, but gently caress gating progression behind it. If I'm here to build machines, why the hell are you gonna force me to go searching for that stupid goblin labyrinth or slog my way up the Ghast Tower?

Also having TF be a major progression gate so often when the mod itself is incomplete is lol.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Is it weird that I miss the research puzzle game in Thaumcraft 4? I always thought it was really clever and interesting and I absolutely loathe the gatcha-game nature of Thaumcraft 6's research table. It was cool to see the aspects that other mods would add that would make interesting shortcuts in it, like the Signal aspect from Chromaticraft that let you connect Aurum and Potentia.

...Honestly, is there anything like Nomifactory for 1.7.10? Something where I can still get my Gregtech fix but tinker with TC4 and Chromaticraft again?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RocketMermaid posted:

Also having TF be a major progression gate so often when the mod itself is incomplete is lol.
What, still? I haven't played it in years and the final castle or whatever was still in progress.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

What, still? I haven't played it in years and the final castle or whatever was still in progress.

The last thing they did to the final castle was put in a placehold final boss that's just a Kobold with extra health.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of TF is really amazing, but the final castle being a complete fizzle is still hilarious to me.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Anyone looking to jump into Nomifactory should seriously look into installing the current dev release (or upgrading if they started from the last official release). It has some serious quality of life improvements that I couldn’t do without.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lordshmee posted:

Anyone looking to jump into Nomifactory should seriously look into installing the current dev release (or upgrading if they started from the last official release). It has some serious quality of life improvements that I couldn’t do without.
I've been considering it, what's changed in particular that makes it more convenient?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

LtSmash posted:

Or actually are you playing on dev? If not maybe its not a thing. You should really play on the dev branch if you haven't been.

Yeah, that is not what my page looks like.

Am i going to have to start again?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah, that is not what my page looks like.

Am i going to have to start again?

If you've updated from an older version type in "/bq_admin default load" and it'll update your quest book.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ok, im finding multiple links, what one am i actually after?

Im using polyMC to launch

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Meskhenet posted:

ok, im finding multiple links, what one am i actually after?

Im using polyMC to launch

For the nomifactory devs you want to grab it from here and there's even a handy guide for what files you want to transfer over on their github

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Woohoo im in,

Now i have to do the fission quests to get the processing arrays :/

ARRRRRRRR, the pulsating dust rec is different, the dust is different.

Is it different?. it is.

Im making cathlerite or whatever and no i need to crush pearls and electro that......

fuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

or can i just leave my current setup?

Edit 2

and my oxygen is blowing through the friggen roof now, so something was different, I can probably turn off a wall of electros

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 16, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Huh, well, I guess that explains the oxygen.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I don't think pulsating dust is actually different. They're removing the mod it was originally from so they set it as a deprecated item and created a new version that will remain after the mod is actually removed. You can craft the old dust into the new in an empty grid. There are a few other things that got the same treatment. And I think some of the multiblocks might have changed too so double check things.

These are their changes highlights from the server so it sounds like you are going to have to check and possibly redo your chemistry.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

LtSmash posted:

I don't think pulsating dust is actually different. They're removing the mod it was originally from so they set it as a deprecated item and created a new version that will remain after the mod is actually removed. You can craft the old dust into the new in an empty grid. There are a few other things that got the same treatment. And I think some of the multiblocks might have changed too so double check things.

These are their changes highlights from the server so it sounds like you are going to have to check and possibly redo your chemistry.

It's fascinating watching the cross-pollination of ideas between the different GT packs. Most of the new features on that list are ports of stuff from GT5CE and GTNH in particular. Going the other way, GTNH has borrowed ideas like the long-distance fluid pipelines. Since the codebases are completely uncompatible, it represents active development on both sides. Pretty cool stuff.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

LtSmash posted:

The idea of a condensed DML is great, but gating it post-tank is not. My first run had well over a hundred DMLs choking my base and tick speed long before I got to the tank.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah the nuclearcraft changed.....

Before i was tossing in the first 2 pellets you were asked for and just getting the delpeted.

Went to do that after the update and my reactor melted......

So now i have to find a tutorial on that

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yes, the DML multiblock in Nomifactory comes in too late. I made one for some variant of realm data and that was it because that's the one thing I needed to expand once I had the ability to use the multiblock version.

Meskhenet posted:

Before i was tossing in the first 2 pellets you were asked for and just getting the delpeted.

Oh man that sucks. Well, if you're now looking up stuff, the Nomifactory Discord has a base recommended reactor. I never used it and instead just let myself loose on this page: https://leu-235.com/. If you lean on that, then you have a strategic decision to make between two choices: 1) a fast-consuming "breeder" reactor that knocks the thorium into other isotopes, and further reprocesses that to get all the elements 2) A more fuel-efficient setup for the thorium if you want to get more mileage out of it. I ultimately did both in having a breeder and then three efficient reactors that were actively cooled. That required a ton of granite processor and thermal centrifuges and was tedious. I ended up skipping fusion power due to that, which is another tell that I did it wrong.

I don't know what the quest book tells you to do for temperature regulation, but it was wrong in my version and people complained similarly in later versions. The typical fallback was to use some redstone dust instead of conduit; the dust tapers the signal a bit. I could try to pop up my local copy of my server save if you want to see literally what I did.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Vib Rib posted:

I've been considering it, what's changed in particular that makes it more convenient?

In particular, every recipe tells you what tier machine it requires just straight up. Like it’ll say “requires IV alloy smelter” instead of telling you how much eu/tick and gently caress you, you figure it out! I also can’t remember if it adds Packaged Auto and Processing Arrays, but if either of those things are missing from the release version I’d have given it up, and I think at least one is. There’s a bunch of other little interface tweaks that make automation much smoother.

I’m sorry my recommendation turned into a meltdown :(

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Meskhenet posted:

Oof. I hope it didn't take anything else out with it. The upside is its easy to regulate the temperature. If you put a redstone conduit on it with a sensor filter or just put a comparator right up against the reactor control block it outputs either its % of stored heat if its heat positive or its % of stored RF if its heat neutral or negative. You can use the draconic evolution potentiometer to set a specific redstone value to compare the reactor value against. Run the reactor value into the back of a comparator and the potentiometer into the side. This will give you a signal when the reactor is greater than the potentiometer. The reactor needs a positive redstone signal to run so you invert the result of the comparator with a redstone not filter, a vanilla inverter setup, or probably a few other modded options. Then just put that back into the reactor control block.

I set it at 8, so as soon as it goes over 50% heat or RF it will shut off. It takes only 2 or 3 ticks so you can probably go higher but if you aren't using red conduits remember that the signal will decrease for every block traveled making your reactor appear colder than it is.
I'm running a breeder reactor and a single power reactor now but I'm assembling the mats to build a second. Fusion is still a bit away for me and my factory gulps down power. The fact it takes 4 signalum igneous extruders, 4 IV macerators, 32 IV thermal centrifuges plus coolant and fuel reprocessing IMO it still doesn't give enough RF. It uses almost a quarter of its power just making its own fuel. But I'm sick of DMLs and numis.

The discord has the layout for both breeder and power reactors with instructions on how to import it for the building gadgets but the website that does it gives a template that uses nuclearcraft graphite instead of the GT block that nomi uses. I fixed it and posted it but they didn't seem to have any interest in adding it to the pins. Hopefully this link works without discord if you want the template. There's also a list of which isotopes you need to breed and which you can use for crafting.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cheers for the help. I will look into what i can do.

And the reactor just melted, it didnt blow, SO i had a few buckets of corium or whatever and most of the casing still ok.

And thanks for the heads up on all he other multiblocks being turbo screwed in the swapover.

I ended up in creative mode swapping out all the parts to my cryo distils, and my microverse machines, and my oil rig.

Once they were back up im swimming in oxygen and even noble gases.

And lol. nearly lost power. The new pulsating dust. i had limit filters on my smelters, that had the old dust....

I am dead certain i will be finding tiny problems weeks from now

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

And lol. nearly lost power. The new pulsating dust. i had limit filters on my smelters, that had the old dust....

High-fives fist bumps right there.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Meskhenet posted:

And lol. nearly lost power.

:same: I got my second power reactor online and it was peachy for a while. Eventually I sent some microminers and that kicked off all my ore processing and power nearly died. I check AE2 and I still have a bunch of TBU so I check the reactors and they were full of spent fuel. Turns out my kludged reprocessing couldn't keep up with the extra reactor and had slowly filled up with spent fuel and the reactors would burn a single pellet at a time and then wait for space to unload it. Untangled that rats' nest and I'm back to swimming in RF.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
GTNH Report:

I love this pack. Another friend got too near the two of us already playing, so now a third player is on my server, scrambling in the dirt. He just built his first steam machines after about a week.

I am in the middle of MV right now. Testing the waters of thaumcraft and red power to see how much quality of life I can gain while my EBF chugs along on its processes of silicon, aluminum, and various ender.io metals.

Redpower is an almost adequate substitute for an AE system. I don't have the ability to pull items from my drawer chambers and large dust bins into my hands for immediate crafts, but at least I can pull them in to a chest attached to an crafting station to get general work done. For everything else, there's the blisteringly costed crafting cards. Even with the painful price point and guaranteed obsolescence in two more tiers, it feels worth while to automate conveyers, pumps, circuits, etc. I would never say that in another pack. Never build something I know will be outmoded eventually. But gregtech demands it, and I answer.

I have spent entire game sessions redoing the aesthetics of my base. I'm in there so much that the old cobble walls were making me cross eyed. Now it's stone brick and concrete floor, with Ztones aesthetic blocks making up my slightly distant thaumcraft tower.

The copter pack has a simplified exploration to an incredible degree, and my steel and carbon crossbow makes short work of most monsters I come across. I've twice died to Vengeance tagged special mobs and the overwhelming power of my own crossbow bolts. For them, the solution is a vanadiumsteel sword and prayer.

The machines are mostly a hodgepodge of vageul6 defined lines with no real attempt at building a solid A to Z ore processing plant yet. It just doesn't quite feel ready when the hv macerator is so close. Plus, there's so many ores, and each one has its own demands for optimal processing.

I love this modpack

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah the power problems are real in Nomifactory.

Works perfectly, until you turn your back and bam.

I got my reactor to process the fuel. I used 3 redstone conduits to wrap around the control unit. I tossed a restone time filter set to 12. It turns on and off constantly, and is stupidly slow. But it works

That link for a better reactor didnt work out of discord and i couldnt find it when i got on discord to look

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
This Nomifactory discussion is making me wonder: would people want a casual relatively change-free farming-in-space sim like my original idea, or something involving more greg-leaning factoryisation more...

Obviously not actually as far as gregtech/omnifactory. Just, like, having to go through a lot of stuff to get from nothing to advanced future technology.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 17, 2022

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I do a bit of both.

Like today, i fixed a few things, but mostly the game is just in the background, with me doing nothing.

Set up a few more machines to head towards a goal, but nothing much.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah the power problems are real in Nomifactory.

Works perfectly, until you turn your back and bam.

I got my reactor to process the fuel. I used 3 redstone conduits to wrap around the control unit. I tossed a restone time filter set to 12. It turns on and off constantly, and is stupidly slow. But it works

That link for a better reactor didnt work out of discord and i couldnt find it when i got on discord to look

This should work, hopefully. Just copy it and then use the building gadgets template manager to paste it in game. The discord calls it ebin for the person who designed it. On the discord "%t ebin" is the command to get the bot to show it. I can post a picture and details for the control circuit next time I start the game up.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
welp, lost my moon level save in GTNH. time to start over again.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I'm waiting for 2.2.0.0 of GTNH before I start a new run. It's getting pretty close!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

So what's the best way to install/update to the dev version of Nomifactory? The way I tried (copying over all the override files) spits an EnderIO: Fatal Error at me over something called Monster Token Omni even after attempting some of the fixes I've seen elsewhere. What do you actually do with that .zip file that's on GitHub?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

RocketMermaid posted:

So what's the best way to install/update to the dev version of Nomifactory? The way I tried (copying over all the override files) spits an EnderIO: Fatal Error at me over something called Monster Token Omni even after attempting some of the fixes I've seen elsewhere. What do you actually do with that .zip file that's on GitHub?

I opened up Curseforge, hit create custom profile, then import and selected the zip. It seems to be working fine.

The installation instructions for the zip actually recommended MultiMC but it wouldn't work, and some googling says that now MultiMC doesn't work with Curseforge mod packs without some fiddling, and that sounded like too much work. So hopefully Curseforge isn't actually spyware or anything but I guess I can live with it if it as long as it isn't using my GPU to mine bitcoins or something.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 17, 2022

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

PolyMC is the new hotness, it's a fork of MultiMC and instead of choking and dying when it encounters a curseforge mod that's had 3rd-party downloading disabled in a pack, it just gives you the link to manually download it, while still grabbing what it can automatically.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

taiyoko posted:

PolyMC is the new hotness, it's a fork of MultiMC and instead of choking and dying when it encounters a curseforge mod that's had 3rd-party downloading disabled in a pack, it just gives you the link to manually download it, while still grabbing what it can automatically.

GDLauncher does this too. It's pretty convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Oh man, I’m in the home stretch gathering materials for my T10 Micro Miner. All the Omnium is synthesized, all the neutronium and chaos shards gathered. Most of my vast resource pool depleted. All I have yet to do is make the last solar panels, and I am now just waiting on Tungstate to electrolyze, of all things.

I think I’m only a couple hours from my creative tank. It’s crazy. I’ve been playing this pack for so many months, sometimes taking weeks off at a stretch. It’s been a journey. I think I’m just over 400 hours according to MultiMC.

And I know, the long slog is ahead after tank if I really want to finish the pack. But with free liquids I think it might be a more chill challenge. I hope so anyway because I’m probably gonna spend another year building an actual base to house all the new factories.