Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I reckon gun sergant with stalker bolt+blessed bolts+scope can be unpleasent but that is a lot of eggs in one basket
The combo sounds great but I think I'd rather pick the auto bolter instead. The sergeant has the best melee weapon in the team, so I'm not hot on giving him a Heavy gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

So many of the Chapter Tactics seem pretty situational, so at least with how my local is playing I can't see why you wouldn't take Unyielding and Durable every single time on this team, especially since they don't have a medic operative. (Unless you're playing for theme, valid.)

16 leader, 15 operative wounds sounds so nice against most of what i face.

Definitely can see the appeal of Methodical though, although before it really kicks in for your wounded, the benefit you get is more for overwatch and I feel like overwatch fire on an elite team isnt as big of a balancing mechanic as the game wishes it was.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 17, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've not done the math, but I feel like the 15th wound wouldn't do all that much? For many weapons it doesn't seem to actually change the number of hits needed to kill at all.

I'm much more interested in the mobility tactics, myself. Raider seems fun as heck, especially combined with the Assault Doctrine ploy, and Stealthy looks to be annoying as all hell if you're playing a shooty team.

Edit: Oh, right, crit damage changes the math just enough. Two hits and a crit with a power weapon deal 14 damage total for instance. Yeah, I can see the utility now.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 17, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Stealth I feel is weakened by the relative strength of vantage play, where the big guns want to be anyways. A team running sanctus sniper is probably gonna be popping open a lad each turn even with the extra saves from stealth, (although the already high base stats make it less likely its a total kill) and those are saves you aren't getting if the sniper is up high.

That's just my experience though, I feel like for elite teams against the more balanced or high count ones your cover is something easier to get around than you want unless you're parking up not too far from the deployment zone instead of pushing middle for objectives.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 17, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Are you thinking of the Sanctus Sniper's special action? A Vantage Point by itself doesn't give the No Cover rule, so unless I'm forgetting a rule, the Stealthy Marines should still get their free saves.

I've played on some weird tables with not a lot of good vantages so I might be valuing this ability completely wrong. :shobon:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 17, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh no I think you're right, you'd still get the the benefit to rolling saves while being in cover, you just wouldn't get the automatic save. I was mixing it up with losing concealment against vantage in my head.

The terrain rules I still think are kinda clunky in this game, like at first glance they're pretty simple but I still have to think and rethink about how the combination of activation order, terrain type, vantage, obscurement, and line of sight interact pretty often. Along with all the abilities that nullify one or several of those mechanics.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sharkopath posted:

Oh no I think you're right, you'd still get the the benefit to rolling saves while being in cover, you just wouldn't get the automatic save.

The terrain rules I still think are kinda clunky in this game, like at first glance they're pretty simple but I still have to think and rethink about how the combination of activation order, terrain type, vantage, obscurement, and line of sight interact pretty often. Along with all the abilities that nullify one or several of those mechanics.

Often times you can try to make a map that looks sick as hell and even for both sides then discover that there's a vantage point that can just shut down the whole map without any real counterplay because the sniper is concealed.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Often times you can try to make a map that looks sick as hell and even for both sides then discover that there's a vantage point that can just shut down the whole map without any real counterplay because the sniper is concealed.

Once had the opposite where a friend chose defender so they could get what they thought would be a sick near the deployment zone vantage only to discover because of the nearby heavy terrain I could run through most of the board obscured at worst or just not visible at all from where they put that special weapon.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Ive only played a couple KT games so far, what generally stops a heavy weapon on a vantage point from getting smoked in return? Or are you mostly talking about silent weapons

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ristolaz posted:

Ive only played a couple KT games so far, what generally stops a heavy weapon on a vantage point from getting smoked in return? Or are you mostly talking about silent weapons

Yeah there's some good hurty weapons that are silent, a lot of people running those teams here.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 17, 2022

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hey Necromunda question. Im playing Cawdor and the articles of faith for the path of doom theres that one that makes a character basically a bright light and everyone 6" around cant shoot or be shot at things not 3" away.

When does that effect end? I played it as if it ended in the end phase but could it have lasted till i activated the dude again?

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Ok cool. I havent played against wyrmblade yet. Ive been playing scions and Ive been reluctant to put my plasma gunner up on a vantage point out of fear that he'd be more exposed

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yeah for 7/8 wound models without silent going up on a vantage point is a trade you're making to get a very important shot. There's some ways around it like timing it so theyre up there when the enemy doesnt have anything that can really react to them and hoping you can activate first next turn so you can take another shot and drop down again.

Tau also get a slightly weaker rail gun profile thats silent and can be real annoying to deal with if they can ensconce themselves in cover turn 1.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 17, 2022

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Since the Imperial noble bb team is pretty useless I have started to convert them to Goliath gangers.

That guy was definitely unborn..

Griff has an autogun, try and stop him from scoring now.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

We honestly need more chunky dad bod Goliaths.
Guys that look like powerlifters instead of fancy muscleshow dudes

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
What are people's initial thoughts on load outs for the Intercession Squad? I'd like to put one together from the marines I have anyway, but there are so many permutations of the sergeants especially.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

For a shooty team id do Intercessor sarge with power weapon and auto bolter, 2 normal intercessors auto bolter, both with the upgraded scope and one with better bolts, the gunner with auto bolter, and the assault grenadier. Swapping auto bolter for normal bolters if im against a team with better saves.

Leftover point can get you a knife that id maybe put on the gunner or max upgraded intercessor just as insurance. Security lets you play defensive but a 3 action point team being able to move shoot and duck into cover is a real useful ability and the guaranteed ap doesnt seem worth the cost in movement you get for using stalkers.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 17, 2022

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Sharkopath posted:

For a shooty team id do Intercessor sarge with power weapon and auto bolter, 2 normal intercessors auto bolter, both with the upgraded scope and one with better bolts, the gunner with auto bolter, and the assault grenadier. Swapping auto bolter for normal bolters if im against a team with better saves.

Leftover point can get you a knife that id maybe put on the gunner or max upgraded intercessor just as insurance. Security lets you play defensive but a 3 action point team being able to move shoot and duck into cover is a real useful ability and the guaranteed ap doesnt seem worth the cost in movement you get for using stalkers.

This is a great starting point, thanks! One question - I think the Intercessor team gets the Sergeant plus 5 more. What would you take for the last Warrior? Another Intercessor or one Assault Intercessor?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Muir posted:

This is a great starting point, thanks! One question - I think the Intercessor team gets the Sergeant plus 5 more. What would you take for the last Warrior? Another Intercessor or one Assault Intercessor?

Oh sorry, 1 more normal intercessor with no upgrades.

Quick Batreport: I took that team against a wrymblade with a kelermorph, both heavy gunners, and a sniper, in a pretty dense terrain awaken the data spirits. Spent all of turn 1 doing nothing behind heavy terrain while the wyrmblade played the objectives and moved up in concealment, then spent turns 2-3 wiping the entire team with the absolutely ludicrous firepower that autobolters with upgrades give you. This team is incredibly tanky with durable and unyielding, my leader stood his ground with only 2 hp left. In the end I only lost the assault grenadier, unfortunately before I could use his grenades but with his dying I act I spent the one command point and he shot the genestealer cultist that ended his life in the face with a boltpistol.

At the end of turn 2 I was down 0-7. At the end of Turn 3 I was able to dominate the now empty map and finished the game out 7-12. I didn't take any of their tac ops that focused on clearing the board or killing a lot because I figured they'd be worse than your options with security, but having played them now I can totally see the ability to focus more on wiping the board than objectives until the zone is cleared out enough you can free manuever for a comeback victory, scoring those kill everything tac ops.

They seem strong but this is a pretty casual group I play with. Especially good at bullying 7-9 wound models. Only the sanctus sniper managed to survive an activation where any shooting damage went out, and wounded at that. Because of how good their base ability is with double shooting I never felt the need to spend much cp in the strategy phase, mostly focusing on 1 a turn for shooting attack rerolls until I started getting wounded and spent a 2nd point cancelling their injuries. They are much more fun to play I think than the phobos team. At least in this matchup it felt very much like the image of space marines I have from books and games, shrugging off heavy fire and blowing people to smithereens with precision. Simpler to play and forgiving of a few mistakes. I did make sure to prioritize enemy ap with my first moves out of cover and continued to focus down high damage models that were more threatening as best as i could.

Also though awaken the data spirits is a pretty odd mission, having played it the first time. You can let the opponent score the firewall disconnects for 4 points total and then just stand on the 2 remaining points in the last 2 turns for 8 vp.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 18, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
WYSIWYG can suck it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Spanish Manlove posted:

WYSIWYG can suck it

rule of cool wins again

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I was also cleaning up some space by cutting a bunch of old stuff off used sprues and organizing them in a bits box. Found some small marine bodies and a bunch of storm bolters, then came up with an idea for a "counts as grey knights" kill team

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

WYSIWYG can suck it

Nice, I'm rebasing a Primaris Chaplain I've had sitting on my shelf to use as the world's coolest sergeant

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Spanish Manlove posted:

WYSIWYG can suck it

OK but which set of pliers is the sixth marine?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The green ones. They cut through a pile of sprues and filled out the bits box that gave me the idea. I was thinking of tactilol'ing out the bolt rifles with canted irons, flashlights, etc but got distracted with the other project.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

GW decided to also put out the Warcry rules, and they're much more detailed than the Kill Team cheat sheet: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/18/charge-headlong-into-warcry-with-free-core-rules-to-download/

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Liking this new GW trend of free rules, hopefully it continues

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Necromunda question: if model A is standing up against a barricade, can model B charge to be touching the other side of the barricade and fight?

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

Lumpy posted:

Necromunda question: if model A is standing up against a barricade, can model B charge to be touching the other side of the barricade and fight?

We've always played it that way, giving each model a -1 to hit. Can't remember where we got the rule or idea from though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lumpy posted:

strictly rules as written? no. a charge has to be into base-to-base contact, barring a versatile weapon. if you can't do that, the charge fails.

in practice, everyone fudges this a little or a lot, based on the specifics on the terrain. it's a very common situation and you should figure out how your group will handle it. both characters touching opposite sides of a low obstacle being considered b2b is a perfectly reasonable house rule resolution.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Starstriders and Gellerpox get individual boxes AND new rules

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/19/kill-team-annual-2022-the-elucidian-starstriders-and-gellerpox-infected-return/

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I wish they would've kept going with the Warcry model and just put the KT book out as a free PDF with the option of a physical book for sale, but... I'm a sucker for huge compendium-style rulebooks, so I'll be picking it up anyway

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

E. Nesbit posted:

We've always played it that way, giving each model a -1 to hit. Can't remember where we got the rule or idea from though.

I know this was in the 2017 Necromunda Underhive release rulebook, but I'm not sure if it made it into later editions.

Lumpy posted:

As already mentioned above, I think pretty much every gaming group I've ever seen would allow this, whether they apply a -1 to hit or not.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Hihohe posted:

Hey Necromunda question. Im playing Cawdor and the articles of faith for the path of doom theres that one that makes a character basically a bright light and everyone 6" around cant shoot or be shot at things not 3" away.

When does that effect end? I played it as if it ended in the end phase but could it have lasted till i activated the dude again?
Yes. The Article of Faith rules state that the effect lasts until the fighter's next activation unless specifically stated otherwise.

Lumpy posted:

This question must have come up a lot because GW threw in a sidebar in the close combat rules section of the new Ash Wastes book specifically addressing this. If the barrier is less than 1" wide, enemy models on opposite sides of the barrier count as Engaged even though their bases aren't in contact with one another. If the barrier is 1" or wider the fighters can still use melee attacks with Versatile weapons as long as the opponent is within the Versatile weapon's range. No penalties to hit in either case.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Tonight I played my 4th game of our custom dominion campaign and wanted to say that being part of an enthusiastic and engaged Necromunda campaign is the most fun I have had in wargaming for a long time. Yaktribe is an amazing resource. My Goliaths are currently being carried by my Hive Tyrant who is a natborn , Tyrants own , mv6, T5 monster with nerves of steel and true grit but our slow movement and slow wit among the rest of the gang is kinda keeping the victories away :)

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

MRLOLAST posted:

Tonight I played my 4th game of our custom dominion campaign and wanted to say that being part of an enthusiastic and engaged Necromunda campaign is the most fun I have had in wargaming for a long time. Yaktribe is an amazing resource. My Goliaths are currently being carried by my Hive Tyrant who is a natborn , Tyrants own , mv6, T5 monster with nerves of steel and true grit but our slow movement and slow wit among the rest of the gang is kinda keeping the victories away :)

Great stuff! I can really imagine this evolutionary next step Goliath leader being constantly let down by his meatheaded subordinates' bungling, but consistently trying to explain to them how to do better. The little narratives about gang members that evolve throughout campaigns are some of the best.

In my second to last campaign (Orlocks) the leader was an unholy terror, worth over 1k by the end, with a power fist and combi meltagun. T6, 4W, 3A, WS and BS 2+ of course. Routed gangs singlehanded and destroyed the Van Saar doomsday device personally in the campaign finale.

Then you had my long rifle champion, Shifty. I knew a long rifle wasn't the punchiest weapon choice but wanted to use the model. He consistently lost sniper duels, and once failed his nerve and then fairly 5 subsequent checks to rally. I know that Shifty was a dishonest layabout and Flashman-esque coward who earned his place in the gang hierarchy by weaseling better men out of their credit.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Liking this new GW trend of free rules, hopefully it continues
So who had money on Blitz Bowl getting the next free rulebook? Anyone?

https://www.bloodbowl.com/blitzbowl/

Edit: Turns out the rulebook doesn't contain the teams so you can’t actually play the game without finding somewhere that stocks it. :sigh:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 27, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Interestingly, the "ultimate edition" contents shows skaven vs humans, which is a pairing that's never been in a BlitzBowl boxed set.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I be all over Blitz Bowl if they'd let buy it anywhere that isn't Narnia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I picked up the first set and all expansion teams at a B&N clearance for pennies and it's a very solid game. I was hoping the full game would take some queues from it when they did Second Season but they didn't really.