Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

That's almost verbatim what they said on Monday's Ramble during the Brentford v United coverage, given as opinion rather than as a leak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I hope man Utd get pumped like 7-1

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/1559966735096225792?t=_Gjm-WEtGC5Z5od1NIx19g&s=33

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Goon project let's buy mancchester united

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

We are like one day removed from ETH taking away their day off. Quite the coincidence.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

lol maybe if you wanted a pragmatic manager to put the cones out and not make you run eight miles for being a shitter you shouldn't have bitched in the press and pushed Solskjaer out

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hFXdCDS-kA

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 18, 2022

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I just listened to the Traffordcast and they predicted a 3-0 Man United win

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

I remember that guy jumping into the Chelsea bid after everyone else went through the lengthy vetting process based on the fact that he was British and thought he could just buy the club that way.

Also think he owns OGC Nice already.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They don't need a new owner the glazer's have found someone else to give them money

https://twitter.com/LFCDetroit/status/1560030194718498816?s=20&t=bfVtiIsEhLB4eLMdqNGkrA

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ratcliffe owns as much of the Mercedes F1 team as Mercedes do as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Ratcliffe owns as much of the Mercedes F1 team as Mercedes do as well.

Yep, and does already own Nice. But that hasn’t exactly been an impediment for Manchester City, Chelsea, or others in the UK.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I hope United win 3-0 papering over the cracks

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

fat gay nonce posted:

Heck, same

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jose posted:

They don't need a new owner the glazer's have found someone else to give them money

https://twitter.com/LFCDetroit/status/1560030194718498816?s=20&t=bfVtiIsEhLB4eLMdqNGkrA

Paid Jeffrey Epstein for “personal financial advice”

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Mahoning posted:

Paid Jeffrey Epstein for “personal financial advice”
158 millions worth of it. Must have been very good advice.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

African AIDS cum posted:

Liverpool will crush them.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

African AIDS cum posted:

OP I am actually hoping this is the case.

Liverpool and United in a classic 6-pointer

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I guess since there's a few days before the game and I don't see a general 'I'm a dumb moron who hasn't followed soccer in ages' question thread I'll ask here...what the gently caress happened to Manchester United? Like, not as a joke or anything but I genuinely haven't really followed soccer as anything but 'oh, soccer's on and I've got nothing better to do, that'll do' and I never was really a big fan of them to begin with so it's not like I was super following their drama to begin with. It's just kinda wild to be coming back to watching this stuff now that I realized Peacock has Premier League stuff and see 'lol Manchester United' as the punchline and seeing poo poo about genuine worries for its future when they were like the default 'I don't know soccer but I know them' kinda stuff when I was young.

Like, is there a good summary of what happened or is it just kinda one of those 'it was a lot of small things that kinda built up and it's just kinda what happens when even a big name team has a lovely few years' things?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Fergie left and the stereotypically American owners gave total control of the operation to an accountant who doesn't know poo poo about football (or negotiating) but fervently believes he's a football genius, who ran the ship full steam into the iceberg. That's the whole story really.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

I guess since there's a few days before the game and I don't see a general 'I'm a dumb moron who hasn't followed soccer in ages' question thread I'll ask here...what the gently caress happened to Manchester United? Like, not as a joke or anything but I genuinely haven't really followed soccer as anything but 'oh, soccer's on and I've got nothing better to do, that'll do' and I never was really a big fan of them to begin with so it's not like I was super following their drama to begin with. It's just kinda wild to be coming back to watching this stuff now that I realized Peacock has Premier League stuff and see 'lol Manchester United' as the punchline and seeing poo poo about genuine worries for its future when they were like the default 'I don't know soccer but I know them' kinda stuff when I was young.

Like, is there a good summary of what happened or is it just kinda one of those 'it was a lot of small things that kinda built up and it's just kinda what happens when even a big name team has a lovely few years' things?

They were a flat-track financial bully and can’t compete with the new ownership paradigm, which they like to pretend is totally different and unfair

Edit: fergie was papering over a ton of cracks and once he was gone as a literal figurehead it became unsustainable

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Also, the fans demand change any time they don't win the league and it blows up into a PR nightmare until the manager is gone. They buy big names without much thought of how well they will fit into the team is another big issue.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So basically new manager either wrecked a perfectly good team or was unable to keep patching holes in an already slightly sinking ship? I guess that's easier to get than some huge dramatic blowup

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

So basically new manager either wrecked a perfectly good team or was unable to keep patching holes in an already slightly sinking ship? I guess that's easier to get than some huge dramatic blowup

The managers come and go through a revolving door, it was the DoF or CEO or whatever the hell Woodward's title was that was the problem. Ed Woodward was the problem.

They've basically become "what if Watford, but with two extra zeroes on the end of every cell in the budget spreadsheet"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Ferguson's hand picked replacement to follow up 2 decades of success was a guy who made a career out of overachieving with tight budgets and low expectations, similar to himself when he took the job, except he took the job in the 80s and you can't really appoint managers based on the firmness of their handshake anymore

Can't remember if klopp or pep were available at the time but it's weird to think what things would be like if that initial transition hadn't been such a mess

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

People are wildly extrapolating from just two games. I’m pretty confident they’ll end up competing for a European at the end of the season. Sports fans go hysterical about short-term performance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The person in charge of transfers left at the same time as Ferguson and was replaced with the genius who gave the next manager a single signing only made after a release clause expired so he cost £3m more than would have earlier

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Someone awakening from a 10 year coma to find Manchester United battling to finish maybe 5th or 6th and their supporters thinking making Europa is a Good Season and their reaction being "what the hell happened?" is the point

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 18, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The playing squad had had minimal investment for ages even before Ferguson retired, with a few exceptions that did just enough to keep the good times sort of rolling.

Then Ferguson left and it became very apparent that the vast majority of the squad that won the league was either old or poo poo or sometimes both, and the brain geniuses in charge decided to fix this by chasing various elite-level players before eventually signing Marouane Fellaini in what many called A Troubling Sign of Things To Come.

A lot of money has been spent since then but almost all of it has been spent insanely badly. Depending on who you ask there have probably been about two uncontroversially good signings in the past decade, one of which was Old Man Zlatan on a free. Crap players have been bought for too much money and paid too much meaning they can't be sold on without subsidising their wages or taking a huge hit, and since a bank man has been in charge that's not been an option so they just sit around until their contracts expire which is better for some stupid finance reason.

So now the squad is full of overpriced, overpaid idiots who all hate each other and are incapable of playing football in the style the new manager wants. And no actually good players want to come to the club because it's such a basket case so you either continue to overpay to convince people that it's worth it or sign lower-tier players, which would be fine if the club had a scouting system worth a drat that could pick up potential stars of the future, but instead they looked at 827 right-backs and chose Aaron Wan-Bissaka for £50M who gets a nosebleed if he goes past the half-way line.

In conclusion, Pooshited.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Jose posted:

The person in charge of transfers left at the same time as Ferguson and was replaced with the genius who gave the next manager a single signing only made after a release clause expired so he cost £3m more than would have earlier

Being in the conference league is hardly considered a success for Manchester United.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Please refrain from disrespecting the Europa evo-stik conference league

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

fat gay nonce posted:

I hope Liverpool have 90% possession before Harry Maguire scores and then dabs

all are punish-ed

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

Ferguson's hand picked replacement to follow up 2 decades of success was a guy who made a career out of overachieving with tight budgets and low expectations, similar to himself when he took the job, except he took the job in the 80s and you can't really appoint managers based on the firmness of their handshake anymore

Can't remember if klopp or pep were available at the time but it's weird to think what things would be like if that initial transition hadn't been such a mess

Pep was on sabbatical and wasn't interested in cutting it short, I don't recall what, if any, the rumours were around Klopp. Woodward supposedly wanted Mourinho but he'd just agreed to join Chelsea iirc.

To answer the overarching question, Glazers bought United in 2005 and when the squad rebuild was due again after Ronaldo left the club found itself shopping around for Obertans, Bebes, past it Michael Owens and Tony Valencias. Ferguson managed to win his final Premier League title with players like Anderson and Tom Cleverley as regular features in the midfield. By 2013 though, the spine/bedrock of Ferguson's last successful squad was well into its 30s or retired. Compounding Ferguson's departure was the departure of David Gill, leaving the club with zero football knowledge in charge of anything above the manager.

By the time those two left, there'd already been 8 years of little investment into the stadium or training and medical facilities. Moyes didn't help himself by sacking all the remaining staff that knew how everything ran/should run and Woodward didn't help Moyes with what can be considered a disaster of a transfer window where "Ferguson isn't there any more" "David who?" and Woodward's incompetence meant, if memory serves, overpaying for Fellaini was all the business we managed to get done.

Ultimately the current state of Manchester United is the fault of recently departed CEO Ed Woodward who always had a chip on his shoulder about the power and influence Ferguson had while in charge and seemed to still exert after retirement. Throw in panic buying on Big Names (often just being transfer window long sagas that never materialised) while refusing to give control to people that knew anything about football and you get a massively disjointed squad with no real idea of how the 20+ players are supposed to gel and play together.

Add to that vanity buys like Pogba done in an attempt to prove Ferguson wrong to get rid in the first place, throwing a near 3 year project under Van Gaal in the bin because Mourinho became available, demanding a more marketable, attractive style of football of Ole before you've signed players to play such a style and finally hiring Rangnick to clean up the mess you've made before completely ignoring all his advice to the point he refused the lucrative money on off to go and manage Austria.

It's a mix of incompetence, "too big to fail" arrogance, naive thinking that just being Manchester United would continue Ferguson's momentum and naked capitalist leeching by vultures that never should have been allowed to buy the club with a ton of debt in the first place.

People point to how much money has been spent, but the majority of that money isn't even at Old Trafford anymore and so much of it was spent badly.

I am pretty sure there's players still at the club signed under every manager we've had since (and including) Ferguson with the exception of Rangnick.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 18, 2022

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

sebzilla posted:

The playing squad had had minimal investment for ages even before Ferguson retired, with a few exceptions that did just enough to keep the good times sort of rolling.

You say this and it makes United fans super mad for some reason

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The fundamental issue with Man U is that never seemed to have a vision of the squad they wanted after Fergie left. In hindsight they might as well as have stuck with Moyes for a few years and see if he ever got the memo that he was at a big club. Moyes mentality was terrible and was the main thing dragging him down but that could have changed.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
None of you have mentioned that the fans and clowns like Gary Neville are arrogant, deluded and entitled, and create a toxic atmosphere every time the team doesn’t perform (i.e. weekly).

Xabi fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 18, 2022

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lol Im still learning !!

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1560309722233933824

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hey man, you learn as long as you're alive

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I hope Liverpool have 90% possession before Harry Maguire scores and then dabs

all are punish-ed

This is the most likely outcome given Liverpool’s current malaise and form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Xabi posted:

None of you have mentioned that the fans and clowns like Gary Neville are arrogant, deluded and entitled, and create a toxic atmosphere every time the team doesn’t perform (i.e. weekly).

He now, Gary Neville would DIE for the club. He said so this week.