Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

IMHO, Goldwrap was never GG enough at any point through either D2 or D3 to rank at the top. I’m more looking for the average GGness of the item spread out across both games and through all version histories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Dameius posted:

My perma group is three people big. We'd farm rainbow goblins while doing bounties. One day we're getting started up and the third person said, "you guys just go ahead, it's cool."

We got the wings like 15 minutes later.

That person must have been beyond pissed off. Like full on rage.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

AlbertFlasher posted:

That person must have been beyond pissed off. Like full on rage.

It's been years since that happened and randomly out of the blue they'll just have a moment of frustrated rage outburst whenever they think about it. They still don't have them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I lost all my cosmetics when I swapped from PC to Switch. Not being able to merge accounts is such donkey diarrhea

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Dameius posted:

It's been years since that happened and randomly out of the blue they'll just have a moment of frustrated rage outburst whenever they think about it. They still don't have them.

lol I believe it!

I mean those wings are as rare as rocking horse poo poo so to have missed out on them like that.... ouch.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Double post:

I am probably just going to play DH this season. With UE being the gift set and getting UE strafe multishot you can easily work your way to the strafe impale build. I may try a barb late in the season; not 100% sure yet.

My goal this season is to get to 1400 paragon. Last season I did 1200 which was a record for me.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
So long as you play past the opening weekend you'll be able to hit 1400 easy.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I usually get bored somewhere around 1k.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If Mempo of Twilight works as anticipated people are expecting something like a 20GR climb for Tal Rasha and 25GRs for LoD meteors, with or without Archon. Bazooka Wiz is BACK, baby!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Maybe it's because I now run with a bad influence or just figured it out myself before, but I haven't even utilized my gift sets in a while unless it's for the build I am working on.

I have the patience to run out solo bounties right out of level 70 to complete the requirements, but I'm just jumping right into group play and running rifts to build up a stock of keys. It's already pretty awkward to run part of a set or have all six pieces but none of the other equipment to make it function.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Diablo 4 quarterly update all about $$$ monetization $$$ https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23816415/diablo-iv-quarterly-update-august-2022

I have a feeling the D4 team was watching some of the response to Immortal and felt very anxious about needing to address this.

The TLDR is that they will have a seasonal battlepass and a shop that sells transmogs directly. They insist about a million times that there is no way to buy things that affect gameplay. It seems basically in line with loose statements they've made previously.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 18, 2022

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Scoss posted:

Diablo 4 quarterly update all about $$$ monetization $$$ https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23816415/diablo-iv-quarterly-update-august-2022

I have a feeling the D4 team was watching some of the response to Immortal and felt very anxious about needing to address this.

The TLDR is that they will have a seasonal battlepass and a shop that sells transmogs directly. They insist about a million times that there is no way to buy things that affect gameplay. It seems basically in line with loose statements they've made previously.

Aww poo poo this game is gonna be amazing. Those armor sets look supreme

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I mean. Didn't they say similar things about Diablo Immortal? Like right up until release, going as far as to leave the monetized gem upgrades or whatever out of the beta tests.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

RodShaft posted:

I mean. Didn't they say similar things about Diablo Immortal? Like right up until release, going as far as to leave the monetized gem upgrades or whatever out of the beta tests.

No, with Immortal they were saying you can't buy gear/weapons where everyone interpreted that to be you can't buy in game power. But of course that was the bait and switch because you were supposed to buy power to advance the game via the gems.

gently caress Activision/Blizzard and they don't get any benefit of the doubt so I don't trust them at all to not gently caress this up, but they're trying to be even more explicit about what monetization means now.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I went and looked at the actual blog post Blizzard made about Immortal's monetization several years ago. It's a lot more evasive and carefully avoids violating the distinction between "gear" and "not technically gear" that Blizzard has drawn, and it does say explicitly that gems can be bought with money (because they aren't "gear"). There are a lot of statements that leave doors open to interpret "and you can pay for this" or "and these rewards have gameplay benefits".

The D4 blog by contrast is a lot more direct and definitive in its statements:

"Nothing offered in the Shop grants a direct or indirect gameplay advantage. "

"There will be a single track of rewards with Free Tiers that are unlocked just by playing the game and leveling, and Premium Tiers which provide no in-game power or advantage over other players. "

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I dunno if I'm gonna go dh or barb. Dh is so awful to level, but I'm definitely gonna group this time so it shouldn't be as bad. I usually do but didn't last season I solo'd for some reason. I suck at massacre bonuses so it took forever.

I need to look at the changes again still to figure out what to play. The neat 'this season only' things seem to be dh, barb and wiz. TBD.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

I dunno if I'm gonna go dh or barb. Dh is so awful to level, but I'm definitely gonna group this time so it shouldn't be as bad. I usually do but didn't last season I solo'd for some reason. I suck at massacre bonuses so it took forever.

I need to look at the changes again still to figure out what to play. The neat 'this season only' things seem to be dh, barb and wiz. TBD.

Spin the wheel my fellow Diablo Dad.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Scoss posted:

I went and looked at the actual blog post Blizzard made about Immortal's monetization several years ago. It's a lot more evasive and carefully avoids violating the distinction between "gear" and "not technically gear" that Blizzard has drawn, and it does say explicitly that gems can be bought with money (because they aren't "gear"). There are a lot of statements that leave doors open to interpret "and you can pay for this" or "and these rewards have gameplay benefits".

The D4 blog by contrast is a lot more direct and definitive in its statements:

"Nothing offered in the Shop grants a direct or indirect gameplay advantage. "

"There will be a single track of rewards with Free Tiers that are unlocked just by playing the game and leveling, and Premium Tiers which provide no in-game power or advantage over other players. "

Yeah, they are saying the right things as far as I can see.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Spin the wheel my fellow Diablo Dad.

Heh. I think I'll do dh on PC and barb on switch for my starters. For some dumb reason I really like playing for just long enough to do the journey, twice. If I'm still interested and wiz meteors turn out to be good, I'll try that as well. The wheel always tells me crusader or some other terrible class like necro. :can:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

Heh. I think I'll do dh on PC and barb on switch for my starters. For some dumb reason I really like playing for just long enough to do the journey, twice. If I'm still interested and wiz meteors turn out to be good, I'll try that as well. The wheel always tells me crusader or some other terrible class like necro. :can:

It's ok to take off classes you absolutely don't want to play.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Scoss posted:

Some of the monetization information got leaked so they pushed the dev blog out early (which is why some bits of it seem hastily written) to get ahead of it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The power of the wheel is to keep spinning it until it gives you the answer you want.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Suburban Dad posted:

On Switch you can get massacre bonuses in Rifts, so it's not the worst way to level on console. However, I'm with you and suck at doing massacre bonuses and always did Rifts when playing on PC. I assume you know about Maxroll's 1-70 guide. I also like these guides from Team BRG for skill selection.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Is there a way to edit a characters name on console after the character is made?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

swims posted:

Is there a way to edit a characters name on console after the character is made?

Make a new character and level them to 70. If you can get boosted it will take you a few minutes

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

quote:

The scale of Diablo IV Seasons is much more ambitious than what we've done in the past on Diablo III, with a large development team dedicated to Seasons after launch. Diablo IV will be supported by an army of developers for years to come.

Blizzard boasting about how much they're investing in the live service portion of the game. Diablo 4's seasons might actually be able to rival Path of Exile's leagues

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I am more or less certain that Blizzard will tack on countless forms of monetization to D4 over time, the same way they did with WoW. They realize they hosed up with D:I by throwing the frog directly into boiling water, with D4 they will be careful to boil it slowly - but be assured, they will still boil you.

Remember - the monetization system MUST make the game a worse experience without it, or no one would ever spend money. This is the fundamental nature of "optional" monetization systems.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
:rolleyes:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

K8.0 posted:

Remember - the monetization system MUST make the game a worse experience without it, or no one would ever spend money. This is the fundamental nature of "optional" monetization systems.
You underestimate the appeal of Pretty Princess Dressup. PoE sustains an entire (much smaller than Blizzard, to be fair) company off a F2P game that doesn't sell anything more game-impactful than stash tabs. Overwatch's post-release monetization was also all cosmetic loot boxes.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
One of the first major adopters of F2P in the west based its entire business model on hats. "Hit player with stick until money comes out" is hardly a natural law.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We’ll be drat lucky if the cheapest version of D4 isn’t $80. They are not going to turn around and then charge for gear too. DI was f2p. D4 will not be. Big difference in approach one would hope.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
While I'm absolutely an idiot that would happily spend on cosmetics *IF* the game is great, I cannot believe that the best cosmetics will be available without cash. And that kind of sucks. I've always thought it could be interesting to implement a crafting system for cosmetics, since crafting in many mmo-ish games feels unrewarding. Often the gear is quickly replaced.

That said I really enjoy most of the armor and concept art. That dude in the preview with a lion's head over his shoulder - he feels like something out of Conan. The necro reveal had a great horror and fantasy feel as well. It's pretty rad that they can combine the more classic fantasy vibe with the supernatural, and it still feels like it lives in the same world.

Hot take, but I think adding a million wings and pendants to the game destroys that vibe. Pendants in D3 always looked so goofy to me on the player's back. They should have been replacement options for your player banner instead.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

paid money to post posted:

While I'm absolutely an idiot that would happily spend on cosmetics *IF* the game is great, I cannot believe that the best cosmetics will be available without cash. And that kind of sucks. I've always thought it could be interesting to implement a crafting system for cosmetics, since crafting in many mmo-ish games feels unrewarding. Often the gear is quickly replaced.

That said I really enjoy most of the armor and concept art. That dude in the preview with a lion's head over his shoulder - he feels like something out of Conan. The necro reveal had a great horror and fantasy feel as well. It's pretty rad that they can combine the more classic fantasy vibe with the supernatural, and it still feels like it lives in the same world.

Hot take, but I think adding a million wings and pendants to the game destroys that vibe. Pendants in D3 always looked so goofy to me on the player's back. They should have been replacement options for your player banner instead.

I don't think that's a hot take. The pendants and wings look ridiculous and I never equip them. Just my unicorn pet and unicorn banner. :v:

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Incoherence posted:

You underestimate the appeal of Pretty Princess Dressup. PoE sustains an entire (much smaller than Blizzard, to be fair) company off a F2P game that doesn't sell anything more game-impactful than stash tabs.

This is phrased like a counter-argument, but you seem to be agreeing with K8's point that PoE is "a worse experience" if you don't pay up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ll worry about the cool pay to play cosmetics when I’m at max level running the highest endgame content and think that I might stick with the game after all. Selling $10 costume packs or special pets has absolutely no impact on me or my enjoyment of the game u less I feel like I need to look a certain way, which Diablo 1-2 weren’t about at all. It was only Diablo 3’s emphasis on class sets and transmogs that made our PCs look cool.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I don't give a single poo poo about the cosmetics, I just want the gameplay to be good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

D4 gameplay looks like a total snoozefest.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I don't get cosmetics. Diablo games don't have ROOM for cosmetics. You can barely see your character, and you need to be able to see all the enemies around you clearly so your spell effects can't be too pretty, and you can't have large cosmetic pets running around.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Moose posted:

I don't get cosmetics. Diablo games don't have ROOM for cosmetics. You can barely see your character, and you need to be able to see all the enemies around you clearly so your spell effects can't be too pretty, and you can't have large cosmetic pets running around.

Blizzard got really invested in the transmogrify system for WoW (where purely aesthetic considerations are more feasible) and probably think people want them elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

While I accept paid cosmetics, I don't agree with arguments defending them. I miss having a game I paid for once, and then I can just enjoy it and not worry about balancing FOMO for a connected product upgrade vs spending more of my increasingly limited games budget. I don't care that cosmetics do not influence gameplay. if something looks cool, I want it, and it sucks that I am being tempted to spend more money at all. I've already spent the money and now is the dopamine time.

There are a variety of arguments for why this is a "me" problem and not the game's fault but I don't care about them because my bottom line is that I don't want to feel a sense of incompleteness in a game that cannot be remedied unless I fork over money. I want a complete game. Design that creates that empty feeling to drive additional sales is bad for the consumer and every argument for why it should exist just sounds like copium to me. That's my hot take, ty for reading