Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

TotalHell posted:

Even weirder that three of the remaining four have generic names (Battlefield Forge could be on any plane) but the fourth is Llanowar Wastes???

I'd assume they'll be in brothers' war. Don't know the story to know if llanowar gets messed up or just has an unsavory part of the woods they can portray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl posted:

Sunbust, Sunburst (or double domain)
Double domain it is. One Points, please.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

HootTheOwl posted:

I feel this is going to get banned in commander due to sheer levels of salt. imagine attacking the weakest player and them packing it in means everyone else at the table also loses.

Nah, bm concede before damage combat phase.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

kalel posted:

Looks like it's just six of the pain lands... are they going for a six-four split like they did with the pathways?

And the special basics:

Really like that regular ardakar wastes art

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MasterBuilder posted:

Nah, bm concede before damage combat phase.

But they wouldn't even know its comming until the attack, and then it's too late!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
"A single stun counter will be removed if the permanent tries to untap for any reason, including its controller's untap step, a spell or ability trying to untap it, or even its controller trying to untap it to pay a cost (although that one's unusual). Stunning!"

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Cactrot posted:

We don't usually, or maybe don't ever see the words summoning sickness on cards, even in reminder text?

About a month or so ago, Maro asked on his tumblr where the term "summoning sickness" came from (he made it seem like somewhat of a mystery), claiming that it is nowhere to be found in the rules. People of course pointed out to him that is was part of the official rules at some point and I can't help but think that he asked the question because he saw this very card for the first time and went "huh?"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

wizards really leaning into the MCU aesthetic huh

Yeah this whole upcoming year of sets feels like Dollar Tree Endgame.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Katana Gomai posted:

About a month or so ago, Maro asked on his tumblr where the term "summoning sickness" came from (he made it seem like somewhat of a mystery), claiming that it is nowhere to be found in the rules. People of course pointed out to him that is was part of the official rules at some point and I can't help but think that he asked the question because he saw this very card for the first time and went "huh?"

Yeah this whole upcoming year of sets feels like Dollar Tree Endgame.

fuckin lmao maro

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

wizards really leaning into the MCU aesthetic huh

Hahah yes, the font for the March of the Machine sets are almost exactly the same as the Avengers ones

drat, this set looks awesome, I'm loving pumped. Only mildly disappointed the Compleated Ajani mostly plays like a Selesnaya planes walker except for the ultimate.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Lone Goat posted:

fuckin lmao maro

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/690058945309655040/hi-mark-is-there-a-reason-that-the-reminder-text

Found it lol. Though I misrepresented his post, he only (falsely) claimed that it wasn't in the rules. It was the reddit thread linking that post which posed the question.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 18, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/episode-5-whisper-wind-2022-08-18

Welp

Looks like it's not Karn going back in time using the Sylex, cause that poo poo got crushed by Borg Ajani. I do wonder if Planeswalkers personalities are just like held in the Sunken Place while Pyhrexian Oil just uses their brains as a collective type hive mind, giving some sort of chance to still be compleated but have their original personalities intact. Poor Jaya what a shame, and here I thought in this set Dominaria would get completely hosed and converted over necessitating the time travel. Teferi being the one to jump backwards in time was always the most obvious choice. Karn can't catch a break so he's probably going to get melted down or something.

One thing I hadn't thought about since the Brother's War is all pre-mended stuff. Will the cards themselves be insanely broken Eldrazi powerful?

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 18, 2022

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Kicker coming back this quickly after it being back in Zendikar is a little bit of a bummer (though obviously its a huge part of Dominaria in general, so, theme appropriate).

Coulda brought back Threshold or Madness though!!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Katana Gomai posted:

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/690058945309655040/hi-mark-is-there-a-reason-that-the-reminder-text

Found it lol. Though I misrepresented his post, he only (falsely) claimed that it wasn't in the rules. It was the reddit thread linking that post which posed the question.

It's not even an ancient relic, Ashaya from Zendikar last year refers to it on the card.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Kicker rules. Threshold has play design issues. Madness probably isn't coming back to Standard anytime soon since having it in SoI was kind of a stars-aligning situation.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I wish that new Squee made the token pre-combat :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mike N Eich posted:

Kicker coming back this quickly after it being back in Zendikar is a little bit of a bummer (though obviously its a huge part of Dominaria in general, so, theme appropriate).

Coulda brought back Threshold or Madness though!!!!

Don't they hate madness ?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Don't they hate madness ?

Yeah it's my understanding Madness is extremely weird rules-wise and they don't like messing with it. They did have a quasi-Madness card in a recent Innistrad set.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

whydirt posted:

Kicker rules. Threshold has play design issues. Madness probably isn't coming back to Standard anytime soon since having it in SoI was kind of a stars-aligning situation.

They showed off a new rootwalla art so they’d better bring back madness

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do you think that Sheoldred would be too strong with flash?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They showed off a new rootwalla art so they’d better bring back madness

OG Rootwalla didn't have madness.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

whydirt posted:

OG Rootwalla didn't have madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBqojLpAnI

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My hopes:

Dominaria Remastered - As unlikely as it is: all old frame?

Brothers War - Lots of redone versions of the old artifacts that were important in the lore, but as currently printed are super weak by today's standards. Fixed versions of the ones that are broken, and an Urzatron land set that doesn't break anything.

Phyrexia - Koth running a guerilla war and sabotaging Phyrexia from within, which will come into play later.

March of the Machine - Going to cringe at all the Avengers Endgame parallels. It's probably time for Karn to bite it, and maybe compleated planeswalkers to get reborn from his sacrifice. It doesn't seem like they're going to do anything with the Eldrazi, but I want to see an Eldrazi vs. Phyrexia battle so I'm hoping Emrakul wakes up and fights on the side of the multiverse keeping on existing.

March of the Machine: Aftermath - Supposedly this is the set that doesn't match any product release we've ever seen. I'd bet that it's a small 100ish card set with a bunch of plot epilogue cards as everyone who survived returns to their home planet.

Wilds of Eldraine - More fairy tale tropes, obviously. The first Eldraine set was fun with that. They pointed out that the first set's more civilized part wasn't well-liked, and the name of this set shows they're going to steer away from the King Arthur stuff.

Ixalan - I want more focus on Ixalan itself, and less focus on vampires and treasure. More dinosaurs please!

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

HootTheOwl posted:

But they wouldn't even know its comming until the attack, and then it's too late!

As sneaky as assassins are, it's going to be pretty clear that you are going to die at the start of their upkeep. I guess they could play a deal x damage to player second main to try and push a surprise win.

Anyways, are there any reasons why wotc don't reuse keywords besides trying to retain flavor? Because isn't squee functionally escape? Why use many words when few work good?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

whydirt posted:

Madness would make incidental blood tokens like epicure and bloodtithe very good, fable II would also be even better.

I'm hoping for kavu or slivers, reprint flametongue kavu, it'll be fine.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

this is pretty much every adult playing magic. i started in middle school and just keep hopping in and out every couple years.

As a fellow old I see what you're saying, but you gotta be careful with where you draw the line for "an adult" lol.

Someone born the day after Invasion rotated out of Standard is old enough to drink alcohol.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Just read on maro's blog that there are 4 planeswalker this set. Ajani, Liliana and Jaya are already spoilered, which one is the 4th? Karn, I assume or maybe Teferi. I originally thought we would get both of them.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

MasterBuilder posted:

Anyways, are there any reasons why wotc don't reuse keywords besides trying to retain flavor? Because isn't squee functionally escape? Why use many words when few work good?

There's a critical mass of number of cards before its worth keywording, to manage set complexity.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

Just read on maro's blog that there are 4 planeswalker this set. Ajani, Liliana and Jaya are already spoilered, which one is the 4th? Karn, I assume or maybe Teferi. I originally thought we would get both of them.

Does Jaya have a pw card or just one showing (storyline spoiler) that she dies ?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

VictualSquid posted:

I believe we've already seen the art and name of the card, it's Karn.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thranguy posted:

There's a critical mass of number of cards before its worth keywording, to manage set complexity.

Consider and Otherworldly Gaze could have been templated with Surveil...

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Does Jaya have a pw card or just one showing (storyline spoiler) that she dies ?

Fiery Negotiator, it's been out for a couple of weeks now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's more 'why don't you make a new keyword' rather than 'why don't you reuse an old one'

if you're only bringing a mechanic back for a card or two instead of a full set, you'd have to include reminder text, and at that point why not just print the rules text on the card

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lone Goat posted:

Jaya Firey Negotiator

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Lone Goat posted:

They've already previewed her PW card, Jaya Fiery Negotiator.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Thranguy posted:

Doesn't that just add to general bloat instead? And wouldn't sticking to keywords even in small numbers make the rare keywords more recognizable when they get their time in the spotlight.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Legendary Treefolk Creature

Reach. If a creature an opponent controls would die, exile it instead. When you do, create a 1/1 green Saproling token. (G), sacrifice a Saproling: Nemata, Primeval Ward gets +2/+2 until end of turn. (1)(B), sacrifice two Saprolings: Draw a card.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Algid posted:

Fiery Negotiator, it's been out for a couple of weeks now.

HootTheOwl posted:

Jaya Firey Negotiator

mikeraskol posted:

They've already previewed her PW card, Jaya Fiery Negotiator.

lmao whoops, you're right

it was only four weeks ago and it completely slipped my mind, thanks!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

mikeraskol posted:

I believe we've already seen the art and name of the card, it's Karn.

Cool.
I returned to magic a few years ago, after not playing since before planeswalkers.
This will be my first modern standard without a Teferi. Excepting that one month.

e: Actually, is Terferi untaps artifacts even rotating. Those sets are kinda melded in my mind.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

Cool.
I returned to magic a few years ago, after not playing since before planeswalkers.
This will be my first modern standard without a Teferi. Excepting that one month.

e: Actually, is Terferi untaps artifacts even rotating. Those sets are kinda melded in my mind.
Teferi from Midnight hunt will stay. The name of the Karn is Karn, Living Legacy. This is the art:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LifeLynx posted:

Brothers War - Lots of redone versions of the old artifacts that were important in the lore, but as currently printed are super weak by today's standards. Fixed versions of the ones that are broken, and an Urzatron land set that doesn't break anything.

Even makes sense given the Antiquities versions were age old relics that have lost power over the years. I hope the Urza card we get is wearing his pope hat.