Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GreenMetalSun posted:

Welp, that sucks.

It's horrible, but he also literally hasn't published a book since it happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah the "wrote a kissing scene in Anne Frank's house" made me lol irl

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

1stGear posted:

A lot of that list smacks of "This author writes about conflict of some kind and their characters have flaws, they are literally Hitler"

It's a weird mixture of Orson Scott Card is a terrible homophobe and racist, William S. Burroughs did kill his wife, and then stuff Neil Gaiman wrote 30 years ago hasn't aged well, and also a bunch of people who died before the person who wrote this list was born. It conflates problematic works with criminal behavior. Some of the people on the list have actually done horrible things, and some just wrote books that have issues with how they write race or gender.

Also it's an anglophone list because it doesn't include Mishima, so whoever wrote it is also racist and belongs on the list.

Generated Wizards
Apr 16, 2016

SiKboy posted:

The language around period poverty has tended to be fairly inclusive (or at least the bits of I've seen working in education, I cant speak for the whole thing), so the period products are available to "Anyone who needs them" or "People who are menstruating". I dont know for sure, but I suspect thats set of the terf "CANT EVEN SAY WOMAN ANY MORE!!!!!!!!" brainworms to want to blow up the whole thing. They're absolutely willing to hurt poor cis women and girls if it means one less instance of inclusive language. loving monomaniacal spite goblins, every one of the fuckers.

It's this, they get extremely upset about how programs using inclusive language are 'removing women and girls', with a side of suggesting that clearly the transes/wokes are just using period poverty as a means of fetishising periods or as a distraction from Male Violence. She says as much herself within the thread.

Her argument for why period poverty doesn't actually exist is also annoying to me, she points out that pain is a more common reason for missing school in relation to periods than a lack of products so why focus on having free products in school, except she then includes having them available in her list of things schools could do to be more 'period friendly'. Proposing something actionable and harmless that will be helpful to a lot of people is bad because what about this other thing? Better education on and availability of pain management is definitely a thing that is needed, but schools can't exactly hand out ibuprofen the way they can pads and tampons.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Skwirl posted:

That I have to see.

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/liz-mair-spanish-mongolian-tweet/

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Skwirl posted:

Also it's an anglophone list because it doesn't include Mishima, so whoever wrote it is also racist and belongs on the list.

I really like Mishima but I feel he transitions from "outsider arist" to "pop artist" and by the virtue of both fields, I think a certain "lack of decorum" is expected. That's different from say, O'Conner where they seek to confront racism and are also unable to overcome their own racism within Southern Gothic which is high art in America.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The funniest thing in that list is that the person who wrote it doesn't know the difference between "Romanize" and "Romanticize."

Skwirl posted:

I really don't understand the accusation of misogynoir, because I don't remember there ever being any black women in Shakespeare. Is it because there aren't any black women in Shakespeare?

Othello's wife Desdemona, I think. Also, Shakespeare supports "misogynistic principals."

This list is either one of the finest examples of bait I've ever seen, babby's first literary analysis, or some admixture of the two extremes. It feels like the product of somebody with just enough knowledge of literary analysis to be hilarious.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Aug 19, 2022

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Agents are GO! posted:

The funniest thing in that list is that the person who wrote it doesn't know the difference between "Romanize" and "Romanticize."

In the age of autocorrect, I think it is wise to give latitude. The whole "You misspelled a word ergo your argument is invalid" is painfully middle school.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

2nd Amendment posted:

In the age of autocorrect, I think it is wise to give latitude. The whole "You misspelled a word ergo your argument is invalid" is painfully middle school.

I never said their argument was invalid due to misspelling (although I'd argue that using the wrong word entirely is different than a misspelling.)

Their arguments are wrong all on their own, however the presence of misspellings and inappropriate words does indicate a lack of proofreading and a fundamentally unserious effort. If they're not making the effort to proofread, why should anyone make an effort to engage beyond mockery?

Depending on the intended audience for this chart, the appropriate response ranges from "lol" if it was just for twitter or some other online trash heap, to "please see me during office hours" if this is an honest attempt at scholarship.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Aug 19, 2022

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I pretty much can't stand Neil Gaiman, but he's always seemed to be a genuinely open and caring person, and has always advocated for greater representation of all minorities in comics. Like for decades.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agents are GO! posted:

Othello's wife Desdemona, I think. Also, Shakespeare supports "misogynistic principals."

This list is either one of the finest examples of bait I've ever seen, babby's first literary analysis, or some admixture of the two extremes. It feels like the product of somebody with just enough knowledge of literary analysis to be hilarious.

They put their account private when they got blowback, so I assume the second one.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Skwirl posted:

gently caress, I keep going back to that "problematic authors" list and it accuses Neil Gaiman of transphobia. I think even he would agree that there were issues with his portrayal of a trans woman in Sandman, but it's also literally the only depiction that existed of a trans woman in mainstream comics at the time.

But to be fair, he also depicted the moon as a TERF....

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yeah the "wrote a kissing scene in Anne Frank's house" made me lol irl

what if we kissed in Anne Frank's house

jk! unless...?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

uh does this guy not know that thats an extremely common pairing due to both being the least selected category on dating apps? dudes racist but like not trying to be just ignorant.

also is he like from an all white semi liberal state like oregon or what i live in rural nc and the largest group of people who mask up are black. and asian people dating black people is such a thing there is a cute nick name for it.

snergle has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Aug 19, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GreenMetalSun posted:

Welp, that sucks.

Does it? Seems like his just a fat old idiot. And that’s not a crime lol

Was he being mean about it or something?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Inceltown posted:

Here is a clearer version of the list

https://twitter.com/nkbzodiac/status/1560410383986327552

At least I can still enjoy Ursula Le Guin

Whatever Colleen Hover did was so bad that this person couldn't even bring themself to describe it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

snergle posted:

uh does this guy not know that thats an extremely common pairing due to both being the least selected category on dating apps? dudes racist but like not trying to be just ignorant.

also is he like from an all white semi liberal state like oregon or what i live in rural nc and the largest group of people who mask up are black. and asian people dating black people is such a thing there is a cute nick name for it.

So I hate that I can ALMOST explain this by looking at the replies.

This guy is really lovely and thinks men in masks are effeminate. That's why he's surprised the black woman is wearing the mask. Because of really lovely racism/femininity/masculinity ideas.

like I had this terrible flash of "Oh, I understand what his brain is doing, AND I HATE IT."

Don't know about his surprise that they're together though, and the last sentence is word salad.

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Aug 19, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Desdemona was white, or at least an English born noble and not Moorish. Obviously White and Black as we currently understand it didn't exist as terms when Shakespeare was presenting new works.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

grittyreboot posted:

Whatever Colleen Hover did was so bad that this person couldn't even bring themself to describe it.

What I saw before she privated everything, it was because her books have toxic relationships and an underage teen in a relationship with an adult. She also gave Colleen Hoover a 4 or 5 star review - I can probably pull that up when get home.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

snergle posted:

I would like to know the cute nickname

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Skwirl posted:

Oh god, does anyone know about Virginia Wolf doing blackface and speaking in gibberish to pass as a foreign dignitary? Because holy gently caress that sounds like a hilarious story.

The Dreadnought Hoax

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Midnight Voyager posted:

This guy is really lovely and thinks men in masks are effeminate. That's why he's surprised the black woman is wearing the mask. Because of really lovely racism/femininity/masculinity ideas.

like I had this terrible flash of "Oh, I understand what his brain is doing, AND I HATE IT."

Don't know about his surprise that they're together though, and the last sentence is word salad.

oh so i took what he said the totally wrong way i thought he was just suprised an asian dude was dating a black lady and that the asian guy wasnt wearing a mask since they wear masks in alot of asian countries during flu season etc.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I would like to know the cute nickname

blasian

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

snergle posted:

oh so i took what he said the totally wrong way i thought he was just suprised an asian dude was dating a black lady and that the asian guy wasnt wearing a mask since they wear masks in alot of asian countries during flu season etc.

He may have also thought that! But judging by the people who follow this guy and some other things he's said, he totally thinks some gross poo poo. He's pals with Matty Yglesias and he tweeted at GREAT LENGTH about how awful mask mandates were.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's a conclusion that takes a lot of leaps to get to and assumes everybody else operates on the same set of moon logic. I think you're definitely hitting on something there - Asian men = feminine/not masculine/masks are for pussies, but probably also Black woman = strong & assertive & wears the pants. Throw in how weird some people get about Asian men dating outside their ethnicity and assume he's either a soyboy cuck or the partner is a rice queen

Just a whole bunch of awful stereotypes rolled up into one smooth brained poo poo sandwich

I've only heard this used for Afro-Asians before, not for mixed dating

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:stonk:
https://twitter.com/Dog1Down/status/1557452172949966848?t=PxRZH1EqBLMUcZOD57KaAQ&s=19

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Does it? Seems like his just a fat old idiot. And that’s not a crime lol

Was he being mean about it or something?

I mean, yeah, it sucks. I don't think he should do time in a federal prison or anything, but it's kinda lovely for the reasons the other poster described.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Inceltown posted:

Here is a clearer version of the list

https://twitter.com/nkbzodiac/status/1560410383986327552

At least I can still enjoy Ursula Le Guin

I disagree with the Jim Butcher entry, it should have misogyny on the list.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

OP can you not post straight up racism in the thread?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anne Rice absolutely got shitfaced and fought people in the comments about how good her books work but I don't think that makes her problematic, it makes her relatable.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Desdemona was white, or at least an English born noble and not Moorish. Obviously White and Black as we currently understand it didn't exist as terms when Shakespeare was presenting new works.

Thanks for the correction. :tipshat:

That's the only Shakespeare I've ever seen as live theater, and it's been like 20 years.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Yeah, Iago tells Desdemona’s father “an old black ram is tupping your white ewe” in a scornful way, so the theme of racism is central there.

I don’t think there is a single female character in Shakespeare who is depicted as of any background people might describe as “Black” today, which I guess is misogynoir by omission?

I find that list so bizarre because it flattens all wrongdoing to one level. Murder (or manslaughter), child sexual abuse, and mocking book bloggers all seem to be presented as equally bad.

I like that J. M. Barrie gets two racisms.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

while this person is an idiot among other things, this is literally a "say the most bigoted thing possible" nazi reply guys that it's best to just report and move on imo

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I've only heard this used for Afro-Asians before, not for mixed dating

sorry when i said a cute nickname i ment for t heir kids.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yeah, Iago tells Desdemona’s father “an old black ram is tupping your white ewe” in a scornful way, so the theme of racism is central there.

I don’t think there is a single female character in Shakespeare who is depicted as of any background people might describe as “Black” today, which I guess is misogynoir by omission?

I find that list so bizarre because it flattens all wrongdoing to one level. Murder (or manslaughter), child sexual abuse, and mocking book bloggers all seem to be presented as equally bad.

I like that J. M. Barrie gets two racisms.
It honestly seems like the books-I've-read-list of a college freshman or highschool senior.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

It honestly seems like the books-I've-read-list of a college freshman or highschool senior.

She’s apparently a 20 year old so sounds about right.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skwirl posted:

He's got some weird race stuff in his earlier work, but like the issues with his writing of a trans woman in 1992 or whenever, it probably comes from being a cis white dude in his 20s making a conscious effort to include cultures and people that weren't him.

OTOH Neil Gaiman is married to Amanda Palmer which has got to be problematic in some sort of way.

Also she was a Brit in the first half of the twentieth century so it can be safely assumed she was racist against somebody.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Aug 19, 2022

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OTOH Neil Gaiman is married to Amanda Palmer which has got to be problematic in some sort of way.

Also she was a Brit in the first half of the twentieth century so it can be safely assumed she was racist against somebody.

Amanda "and then everybody stood up and clapped"* Palmer

* Except for the standing up part, but totally insufferable anyway

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Wait he married the girl who got killed in twin peaks? I knew he was insufferably twee but headmates level relationships is next level.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GreenMetalSun posted:

Has GRRM actually been accused of anything other than being slow AF and writing gross sex?

About a year or two ago another fantasy author accused him of being a serial rapist on Twitter and then very quickly deleted the tweet after a few hours and has never spoken of it again, and there has since been zero corroborating evidence or any additional accusers who have come forward. So it's up to you to flip that coin in your own mind on whether this is like one of those times people tried to blow the whistle on Bill Cosby before Hannibal Buress took him down, or was is it bullshit.

GRRM is, at the very least, a lazy creep. Whether he's anything more than that, we will probably never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
And now for something completely different.

In a thread titled "How to get rich in Germany? I have questions regarding starting a business there and taxes!"

(The answer is "by inheriting", by the way)