Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Eh, regular isn't too bad. It's the cecal that's super gross!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

MrUnderbridge posted:

Eh, regular isn't too bad. It's the cecal that's super gross!

Only found out the last year or so that cecal poops come in pairs. So if you do spot / smell one, check where you're standing, 'cos that stuff smears terribly.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 15, 2022

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/UhKIJrc.mp4

there are three more in the other coop...only Lil' Pep isn't broody (yet)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

:3:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

City of Glompton posted:

lmao at the smouldering intensity

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I passed under the guineas’ roosting tree this morning and got pooped on. Not a good omen!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Joburg posted:

I passed under the guineas’ roosting tree this morning and got pooped on. Not a good omen!
yes it is!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

City of Glompton posted:

https://i.imgur.com/UhKIJrc.mp4

"...Do you mind?...." :manning:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://twitter.com/inkblotio/status/1557181019714879494

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

My chickens got into my blueberry bushes today, and even though it was only a couple of minutes before I noticed, they had the best couple of minutes <:mad:>

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Mrs. Underbridge took some slightly sad looking lettuce, poured some plain yogurt on top as a dressing, and spoiled the chooks.

Somehow they seem to have licked the bowl completely clean.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I gave my animals a watermelon from the garden today and surprisingly the lone duckling with 2 moms was the most aggressive about it. It looked just like that video of the duck eating all the cat food.

Rose’s eggs should hatch tomorrow. Unfortunately it looks like only 2 will hatch out of the 5 I set (actually 17 counting all the dud shipped eggs). If only 1 hatches I will have to call around tomorrow and see if the feed stores have any new chicks so she doesn’t raise a loner. Rose is my shortest mothering hen at 3-1/2 weeks and that’s way too early for a lone chick to contend with the rest of the flock :(

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I gave the chooks a pile of greens and fruit and they have lost their minds.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Mine generally cautiously orbit around anything like that I give them like they suspect it's going to spring to life and try to eat them. They'll eat anything out of a person's hands though.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Enfys posted:

My chickens got into my blueberry bushes today, and even though it was only a couple of minutes before I noticed, they had the best couple of minutes <:mad:>
:kimchi:

how did they end up going in the heatwave? i'm so glad that you managed to keep them all alive

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Digging new garden beds always gets a lot of attention.

And even with 35c degrees outside they like to chill in the full sun...

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Joburg posted:

LOL, veryone except the hen on the left, I’d guess. Spot the broody in this pic:

This is an absolutely beautiful goat. Why don't we have a goat thread???

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
chickens.jpg

and this in 90 degree weather

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Such a beautiful golden orange color.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

kafkasgoldfish posted:

There is a thread for all beautiful barnyard babies, including goats!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886000&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So, what do you do with peafowl? Do you eat them too, or are they more like pets?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

That Old Ganon posted:

So, what do you do with peafowl? Do you eat them too, or are they more like pets?

A bit of both. The place I live at is an eco-resort in the summer, and having a couple of big beautiful birds walk around that you can interact with really adds to the atmosphere of the place.

On the more practical side they really help with keeping pests down. They are omnivores and actually hunt for things like wasps, mice, rats and snakes. I've seen a group of peafowl go absolutely apeshit on a rat nest, it was impressive! We also dont have any ticks on the property.

Sometimes we sell the adults, we sell the feathers after they fall out and during laying season we sell the eggs on a local market as a delicacy. For special occasions ( like christmas or a cooperation dinner with a famous chef ) we slaughter them too, usually when they are between 1 and 1,5 years old because the meat gets a little bit tougher when they are fully adult. Texture wise it's like turkey, with a bit more taste. My favorite way is so slow cook it in coconut milk with spices.

Molentik fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 19, 2022

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

We haven't lost any more chickies and they're all getting nice and big. The only problem is it's near impossible to handle them and I'm worried onto how to figure out to train them for easily picking up and other aspects later on now.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

get a shallow cardboard box, put them in it with a towel over the top, hold it in your lap while you watch tv and pet/hold chicks

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

ChaseSP posted:

We haven't lost any more chickies and they're all getting nice and big. The only problem is it's near impossible to handle them and I'm worried onto how to figure out to train them for easily picking up and other aspects later on now.

Cute!

I hardly ever handle my chickens except at roost time so I have no advice. For me, they all allow some amount of prodding when they are old enough to lay and I find them on the nest. Otherwise I let them to come to me if they want attention, mostly to avoid any sort of misinterpretation by the roosters. My beloved Blazer, Bronco, and Goldie, RIP to all, were my friendly gals and it was always a great feeling when they chose to sit on my lap.

In broody news, NONE of Rose’s eggs hatched. I had to move her today to break her brood and she’ll have to be locked in the spare duck house for a couple days. :qq:

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Thank you! That’s Itty Bitty the probable Alpine.

Pepper the broody goat barn duck got moved and became unbroody so Macy will be mothering all the ducklings. She hatched at least 6 Khaki Campbell ducklings yesterday and today but hasn’t left the nest yet so I don’t know about the last 2 eggs. She is an angry mom so it’s hard to get good pictures.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

an egg posted:

:kimchi:

how did they end up going in the heatwave? i'm so glad that you managed to keep them all alive

they had a pretty rough time and I worried I was going to lose wee Birdie who has always been in poorer health than the others, but they're looking much better now and back to terrorising my garden

there were a couple low points where they were just panting/gasping and I didn't know what else to do to cool them down that I hadn't already done, so long term I'm going to have to figure something else out because this is going to keep happening more and more :sigh:

and of course thousands died in battery farms yet again

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

ChaseSP posted:

Daily handling as they grew up, and trying to keep it up afterwards. Of course it depends on the birds personalities. Some of ours never took to it and some of them demand to be held at times.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

They've all started to run immediately and are visibly distressed after we had to help abunch of them with vent issues. Putting them in a box and watching tv is a good idea though.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

City of Glompton posted:

get a shallow cardboard box, put them in it with a towel over the top, hold it in your lap while you watch tv and pet/hold chicks

This is the way

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

Hi thread,

We have some new chicks this year including a few leghorns. Every leghorn I've ever met is a flighty poo poo except for this girl. She likes to be held and socialize in the house, and is sitting on my lap.

What should we name her? Old lady names preferred, something that fits the unusual nature of a tame leghorn.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Celestriad posted:

She likes to be held and socialize in the house, and is making GBS threads on my lap.

Very pretty. I like leghorns and whiterocks because they're like, super-chickeny chickens if that makes sense. Chicken Classic. Chicken rear end chickens.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 21, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Celestriad posted:

What should we name her? Old lady names preferred, something that fits the unusual nature of a tame leghorn.

Pearl

She’s lovely :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Celestriad posted:

Hi thread,

We have some new chicks this year including a few leghorns. Every leghorn I've ever met is a flighty poo poo except for this girl. She likes to be held and socialize in the house, and is sitting on my lap.

That's an Agnes if ever I saw one.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Looks like a Doris to me

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Celestriad posted:

Hi thread,

lovely. Bianca or Guinevere

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 9, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
You can also put some ivermectin drops on the hens. It’s a nice time to do that since they won’t be laying eggs for the egg withdrawal time anyway

Speaking of bugs, we got some new Legbar hens a couple weeks ago and they had lice but they were much smaller than I’ve ever seen before. They didn’t have the louse egg Q-tip thing either so I may have mis-identified the bugs. Either way they got permethrin powdered and some ivermectin drops for good measure. It’s nice that their eggs are distinctive so one of our dogs gets to eat those. (The other dog is allergic to chicken(!!!) and chicken eggs(!!!!!))

We got the hens when a local lady had to disperse her whole 100(+/-) bird flock because she is having major health issues. It’s such a bummer for her, she obviously loves her birds. :( The other reason we got more hens, those plus some others, is because all our grow out cockerels were too much for our 8 mature-but-not-broody hens to keep in line. Stupid Earnest decided he would mate with the ducks instead and he harassed the muscovies all the time, even after we got more hens. He has since moved on to Stage 2 rooster housing which is our freezer.

And in Muscovy news, Macy brought out her 6 ducklings!
https://youtu.be/VOLTrgHltys

Rose the chicken would not un-broody and I don’t have it in me to keep her in jail. I got some chicks from the feed store and I put them in with her last night. She has previously not adopted chicks but I hope hope hope she will this time.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

I stayed up so late last night reading through this thread.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

it's really excellent, jellyfish has taught me a lot about livestock care

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

aww...Macy's a good mama :)

took Darlin' and Lil' Pep to the garden for a treat but Darlin' plucked one of my tomatoes (and i don't have very many!) so they had to leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

magnificent. Darlin' is Peak Rooster